The [Disco Chives] Misplaced Parrot Complaint Thread

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932

WendyLuvsCatz said:

grrrrrrr

...I keep getting that a lot. 

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,442
    edited September 2023

[Sigh]:  My pappa-bear computer that I use for DAZing and games, seems to be OK except for crashing while playing some games.  I'm not a big gamer.  I play, almost exclusively, the Myst series.  I know "Obduction" inside and out and have played it for years without trouble, but on this new machine, lately, it will freeze and has to be terminated by TaskManager.frown  Also, while playing the newest of the Myst series "Firmament" it does the same thing.  When it gives an informative error, it points to memory and/or GPU.sad  However, the System itself seems fine.   RAM does get up to 80C, so that will probably be my next target.  Rearrange airflow or something.

I've run "FurMark" GPU stress test without problem.  It gets up to 69C temperature and stabilizes.  And "MSI-Afterburner" reports all nominal values too.  Motherboard RAM tests OK.  Power supply should be adequate in capability and quality.  I have done no tweaking to overclock this system, it's essentially stock.  This is not a digital motorhead's machine.  It's not pushing the envelope.  Pretty much just upper level stock performance.indecision

Motherboard: Asus "ATX-PRIME_Z490-A"

CPU: Intel "i7-10700"

Cooler: Noctua "NHU14S"

RAM: 64GB total in two matched sticks of DDR4 Corsair "Vengeance LPX", 32GB, 3200tps, CL16

System drive: Samsung "970 EVO-Plus" M.2, NVMe, SSD, 1TB

Power supply:  Corsair "RM850x"

Graphics card: Asus "TUF Gaming GeForce RTX-3080-OC", 12GB 

The FurMark score is 18036 on the RTX-3080 at 1080p resolution.  Half the potential of an RTX-4080, but twice the score of my RTX-3060.yes

I don't know what the problem is.  Possibly RAM temps, and I'm beginning to think that there is an incompatability with the games I play.  Either a driver issue or a result of the GPU being natively over-clocked(OC).  I've seen YouTube videos that show how to "underclock" a factory overclocked card.  What I lose in performance I might gain in reliability.  But it already passes the FurMark stress test anyway.  What to do, what to do?indecision

I guess I better try to get the motherboard RAM temps down first.  The frustration is that I have experienced no problems with this system except for playing Obduction or Firmament.  Fixin' things that ain't busted, usually doesn't end well.frown  This problem didn't happen until I started upgrading drivers for this graphics card.  If it turns out to be driver problems, I have no idea which old driver that worked OK, to go back to.

Perhaps I could just turn off the RAM XMP feature to slow it down from factory-overclock 3200, to standard 2666 transfers per second.  Yeah, that's the easiest thing to test, but I actually hope that that doesn't fix the problem, I'd hate to throw away 17% of my speed.indecision

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,012
    edited September 2023

LeatherGryphon said:

I've run "FurMark" GPU stress test without problem.  It gets up to 69C temperature and stabilizes.  And "MSI-Afterburner" reports all nominal values too.  Motherboard RAM tests OK.  Power supply should be adequate in capability and quality.  I have done no tweaking to overclock this system, it's

Have you tried this;

https://www.ocbase.com/

Post edited by PerttiA on
  • AgitatedRiot said:

DanaTA said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

I set up a security camera under my front porch and I am getting lots of recordings of crows hopping around 

Is it motion activated?  If so, I guess crows are pretty big...big enough to cause that.  There may be a setting to adjust the sensitivity so birds don't set it off.  I don't know.  Never had a security camera.  Years ago, when my security lights were working, sometimes a good sized skunk would make them light up. 

Crows are big birds, not huge, but significant. Compared to robins and others. They are brilliant and can recognize different humans and pass that info to other crows. Morn the dead and use tools. They also make good subjects in Poe's stories.

Crows are not ravens (they are much smaller, though still big). There are a lot of corvids, and a lot of them are more-or-less black.

• Like the red billed Chuff (an otherwise black Cornish corvid the size of a Jackdaw).

The only other I see regularly is the Magpie. Sometimes in my kitchen, but not as often as the Robin.

Regards,

Richard

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047

We have a red cedar in the front of the house, that usually is host to a mockingbird nest, but one year a crow decided to nest there.

Going about my normal landscaping activities, I noticed that whenever was weeding under the cedar or cutting the grass there, the nesting crow would start to make a particular, repetitive kind of "craw"... and within minutes at least a dozen crows would show up and start watching me from around fifteen to twenty feet away... repeating the same kind of "craw" the nesting bird would... If I would go away for at least twenty minutes they'd be gone, but often at least one or two would follow me if I went to the back of the property or other side of the house... they'd show up again once I went back outside.

It was academically interesting, but actually got a bit annoying because there would be at least one or two who would land on the ground and shadow me, watching my every move... They were annoyingly all business, not reacting to my mimicry of their calls like many birds do...

I've actually gotten mockingbirds to become comfortable around me by engaging with them... they'll make a call (they do a huge range of sounds and even mimic other birds) and I'd try to copy it but add something to the end... which they'd usually repeat after I did that a couple of times, eventually it would become twice as long as when I started... apparently you can't add too much at once or they seem to get pissed off and leave, but if you do it a little at a time, they actually seem to enjoy it and express what seems to be curiosity/enthusiasm and if you stop before they grow tired or disturbed by something, they seem to display what appears to be disappointment at the game ending, often following you trying to restart the game... this form of interaction seems to only work when they are mimicking the calls of other birds... and once with a particular bird that did repeated Beethoven's 5th (presumably picked up from an annoying car horn that played it frequently somewhere in the neighborhood, which I would often hear).

I can hardly wait for climate change to make Long Island warm enough for Macaws and large parrots (we already have Monk Parakeets, but they seem to be bigger than regulation budgies) to establish themselves so I can have fun with them too... 

• I am in Adelaide and one of our football teams is even called the Adelaide Crows

they are so plentiful 

technically ravens though https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_raven

The best known Long Island team is a minor-league baseball called the "Long Island Ducks"... they kinda suck, but I met Darth Vader at one of their games once... he's a lot shorter in person than I figured he'd be... but I suppose, as they say, the camera adds ten feet... or was that pounds?...

• Richard Haseltine said:

AgitatedRiot said:

DanaTA said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

I set up a security camera under my front porch and I am getting lots of recordings of crows hopping around 

Is it motion activated?  If so, I guess crows are pretty big...big enough to cause that.  There may be a setting to adjust the sensitivity so birds don't set it off.  I don't know.  Never had a security camera.  Years ago, when my security lights were working, sometimes a good sized skunk would make them light up. 

Crows are big birds, not huge, but significant. Compared to robins and others. They are brilliant and can recognize different humans and pass that info to other crows. Morn the dead and use tools. They also make good subjects in Poe's stories.

Crows are not ravens (they are much smaller, though still big). There are a lot of corvids, and a lot of them are more-or-less black.

Apologies 

• PerttiA said:

LeatherGryphon said:

I've run "FurMark" GPU stress test without problem.  It gets up to 69C temperature and stabilizes.  And "MSI-Afterburner" reports all nominal values too.  Motherboard RAM tests OK.  Power supply should be adequate in capability and quality.  I have done no tweaking to overclock this system, it's

Have you tried this;

https://www.ocbase.com/

Not yet, but thanks for the tip.  I've downloaded it.  The ball is rolling. 

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,878
    edited September 2023

Really not sure what to make of this tracking information. 

usorda.png
    681 x 488 - 23K
    Post edited by Gordig on
  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,175

Gordig said:

Never heard of Usorda.  I guess U sorda have to guess when you'll get it! 

edited September 2023

McGyver said:

The best known Long Island team is a minor-league baseball called the "Long Island Ducks"... they kinda suck, but I met Darth Vader at one of their games once... he's a lot shorter in person than I figured he'd be... but I suppose, as they say, the camera adds ten feet... or was that pounds?...

It's pounds.  I'm already a little overweight, so I try no to get into too many photos!   The scale at the doctor's office tends to do that, too!

Post edited by DanaTA on
  • DanaTA said:

Gordig said:

Never heard of Usorda.  I guess U sorda have to guess when you'll get it!  

It is a USPS sorting center in Chicago:  https://parcelsapp.com/en/mail-centers/USORDA

edited September 2023

DanaTA said:

It's pounds.  I'm already a little overweight, so I try no to get into too many photos!   The scale at the doctor's office tends to do that, too!

All doctors' scales are incorrect... first off what's with the little weights and balances things?... this isn't 1652, nobody needs to be doing math to figure out how fat or non-fat a person is...

Its like you stand on the damn thing and the nurse is like "...okay, stand straight... hmmm... (slides the little weights around...) waaaait.... (more sliding)... hmmm... Ok... no, wait...(moves the middle ones a tiny bit)... one moment... (slides the small one)... Okay... we're all done... you're fat.

All that theatrics and anticipation for what?... Math?

How do I how that nurse can add?

Sure you can get a degree in Nurseology, but do they teach math in that?... and math keeps changing every few years...

What if she didn't get recertification in whatever new math they are doing now?... When I was a kid they switched up math right between first and second grade and the teacher was like "we'll be learning new math now" and I was like "What the **** are you talking about?"... "Are the numbers not the same anymore, was everyone not doing it right?"... and the teachers were like, "no, they reinvented it because old math wasn't cool enough and you can't make bell bottoms and 8-track tapes using old math... it was a limitation of the way it was written and apparently too many people understood how to do math, so we are making it weirder now..."

And from then on, every few years they rejigger math so parents can't help their kids do their homework and will look stupid, thus widening the generation gap and because of that, whatever kids can figure it out become arrogant jerks who'll go on to establish billion dollar tech companies that basically could be run by three raccoons in a trench coat, because everyone thinks that someone who can do even simple math must be a genius, but realistically they focused all their mental acuity on grasping new math instead of becoming normal humans who laugh and play and eat pie... 

And why?... The Math cartels... all run by an ancient counting chicken...

Sounds crazy, but you've probably heard of those chickens that can count or play tic-tac-toe... all descendants of Clucko the Great.

Nobody knows how old he is, but historians estimate he first appeared during the Xia dynasty in Shanxi, northern China, around 2060 B.C., but according to the writings of the ancient scholar Kong Yingda, he may have existed centuries before that.

According to legend, at first Clucko was was a simple chicken who learned to play a counting game, but his master seeing that a counting chicken was a valuable asset, made a pact with a crow demon to make Clucko a math genius, but the crow demon made Clucko too smart and he outsmarted both his master and the crow demon and went off on his own.
    For Millennia Clucko has been a shadowy figure manipulating math and math based industries behind the scenes for his own unscrupulous reasons.

Which is why they don't use real scales with accurate dials and digital displays in doctors' offices and we rely on nurses with questionable mathematical credentials to tell us we are overweight or need to lose a few pounds.

Post edited by McGyver on
  • I had a doctor tell me I was fat when I went there for something totally unrelated which I thought was very rude.

I just said I know I am fat, buying clothes reminds me of that quite a lot. angry

• It's been a good while since any medical institution I have visited (and i have fairly frequent checkupts) has used the sliding-weight scales, mostly they have fairly regular bathroom-scale type of things.

edited September 2023

And of course, entitled people go to the doctors with a really advanced machine that looks like it does a 3D scan of your body, and other various internal body scans to determine your water, lipid, & protein density and then performs multi-variable calculus integrations to calculate your total volume and weight, from which the doctor can make his fat diagnosis identically to a $10 bathroom scale.  The moral to this story is:  Buy a better mousetrap and you can bill insurance twice as much.wink

And what do you weigh when you go the doctors?  I weigh my self naked & empty every morning, and keep a spreadsheet & graph.  I know what I weigh.  But by time I get to the doctor I have several more pounds of clothes, shoes, phones, keys, coins, glasses,  jewelry, food, drink, and miscellaneous pocket stuff.indecision  So, why weigh me on a machine that can register ounces?indecision

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,107

I hate it when I complain about my back and the only response I get is lose weight and exercise more.  Not very helpful.  I want somethiing more useful than that.

I have body dysmorphia.  Like that fat in that box, I feel like I'm both overweight and a good shape at same time.

I want to know why my back hurts other than me being overweight or I carry a "heavy" backpack around with me.

Richard Haseltine said:

It's been a good while since any medical institution I have visited (and i have fairly frequent checkupts) has used the sliding-weight scales, mostly they have fairly regular bathroom-scale type of things.

And they still lie! 

LeatherGryphon said:

And of course, entitled people go to the doctors with a really advanced machine that looks like it does a 3D scan of your body, and other various internal body scans to determine your water, lipid, & protein density and then performs multi-variable calculus integrations to calculate your total volume and weight, from which the doctor can make his fat diagnosis identically to a $10 bathroom scale.  The moral to this story is:  Buy a better mousetrap and you can bill insurance twice as much.wink

...but the important factor, does it make the coffee?  

• ZyloxZylox Posts: 787

Sfariah D said:

I hate it when I complain about my back and the only response I get is lose weight and exercise more.  Not very helpful.  I want somethiing more useful than that.

I have body dysmorphia.  Like that fat in that box, I feel like I'm both overweight and a good shape at same time.

I want to know why my back hurts other than me being overweight or I carry a "heavy" backpack around with me.

I had lower back pain last fall and winter and ended up going to a physical therapist, which really helped. The first five stretches/exercises in this vidseo are ones that I was taught and use regularly. I would not do the last two, the ones on your hands and knees, as my physical therapist never discussed them with me. If you can go to a doctor and get a referal to a physical therapist, you should do that instead of following the video as they can tailor an exercise program to your specific needs and abilities.

• I have an inversion table but since retirement from my physically demanding job I haven't needed it yes

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,107

I don't want to eat all my popcorn before the movie starts! I am about to see Barbie!

• WendyLuvsCatz said:

I had a doctor tell me I was fat when I went there for something totally unrelated which I thought was very rude.

I just said I know I am fat, buying clothes reminds me of that quite a lot. angry

That's completely different from a doctor who doesn't know you and says that's a big belly. I was on an elevator when a doctor told me that (he was lucky someone else was there with us.) I used to deliver chocolate to country clubs and fancy nancy places, like private exclusive doctors who work with the wealthiest people. Doctors would never tell their clients that because those doctors would suck the fat out of them? This was after I got too old for my last job. Lugging around CRTs and Heavy full towers will do that a person back.

Delivering chocolate didn't help keep my weight down. wink

I like how Light things have gotten.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037
    edited September 2023

AgitatedRiot said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

I had a doctor tell me I was fat when I went there for something totally unrelated which I thought was very rude.

That's completely different from a doctor who doesn't know you and says that's a big belly. I was on an elevator when a doctor told me that (he was lucky someone else was there with us.) I used to deliver chocolate to country clubs and fancy nancy places, like private exclusive doctors who work with the wealthiest people. Doctors would never tell their clients that because those doctors would suck the fat out of them? This was after I got too old for my last job. Lugging around CRTs and Heavy full towers will do that a person back.

first and only time I saw this doctor 

I was just getting my Thyroxine script

having an underactive thyroid doesn't exactly help one lose weight either or working in a bakery

I am 20KG lighter now after retirement 

I am 168cm and 85KG BTW, fat but not morbidly obese

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • WendyLuvsCatz said:

AgitatedRiot said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

having an underactive thyroid doesn't exactly help one lose weight either or working in a bakery

Ok, stop making me feel fat.

AgitatedRiot said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

AgitatedRiot said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Ok, stop making me feel fat.

...me too. 

edited September 2023

Morbidly Obese:  Been there, done that, burned the T-shirt.cheeky  It's amazing how easily one finds one's self in the MO category on a weight chart.frown  One day you're flying along fine as a healthy adult, as long as you are relatively active.  Your eating habits have stabilized, but when you stop being active, those eating habits creep up on you and then BINGO one day you look in a mirror and question the presence of that hippo in your clothes that you've been buying a bit bigger each year for a decade (or two)!surprise

I finally woke up one day a year or two ago and told that guy to get out of my clothes.  He wouldn't leave, so I stopped buying clothes for him and stopped feeding him everytime he opened his mouth.  Eventually, I disposed of his clothes (collection box) and watched carefully, charting his progress, as he shrunk from 250 to 185 lbs.  He's back up to 200 lbs (91 Kg). now but has stabilized there for many months which is about right for his build at 5'10" (178 cm).  Still in the overweight category, but not obese.  I have to maintain a daily weight spreadsheet & graph to scare me enough to panic when ever I creep up over 200, and stop cheating on my eating habits. 

Cutting out sugar has helped.  Sugar is a drug!  I sail along fine for a few weeks without chocolate or candies, but once I have one, my brain gets reset and I would fall back into snacks at my fingertips all day long if I had any.  And if I do, it's a tough period trying to wean myself off of them again.  Yes, I still enjoy them once in a while, like on holidays with pies and cakes, but only a small slice, once.  I've also found that once weaned off of sugar, I find that sweet things are almost too sweet, and sort of disgusting in large amounts.  Yes, I still get a candy bar each time I go to the grocery, but that's my treat for gathering the energy to go to the grocery.  Another thing that has helped is that I now use small plates for my meals instead of dinner plates.  Also, instead of getting two servings out of a can of vegetables or whatever, I get 3 or 4 (like I should).  I buy 2 lbs. of hamburg, chop it into three portions, bag them, and call each bag a pound, for cooking purposes.

I haven't cut out sugar altogether, but I have drastically reduced how much of it I eat.  Sugar is a treat, not a meal or even a snack.  And having my sugar intake under control has helped minimize my minor diabetic symptoms.  

Yeah, yeah, I should probably weigh under 180, and I probably would, except that I have a deflated spare tire of skin hanging around my hip in wads, and dangly folds from my thighs & upper arms, that will take a long, long time to evaporate.sad

My weight spreadsheet & graph, has shown me the most peculiar effect.  Each time I eat a 1 pound bag of potato chips, I gain 4 pounds.surprise  Is this a quantum effect?  Matter from nothing?  The weight arrives in two days,  It takes 2 weeks to go away again.frown  Mmmm... chips... love chips..., must find chips...

A Tip for the Not Yet Obese:  Don't.  Just don't.enlightened  Skin older than 50, has lost much of its elasticity and doesn't shrink back all the way when you lose weight, it just hangs around, literally.sad

This discussion has been closed.