The [Disco Chives] Misplaced Parrot Complaint Thread

Comments

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047
    edited September 2023

WendyLuvsCatz said:

...I was just getting my Thyroxine script...

I gotta say, it's never fun to need a medication of any sort... but at least that one sounds cool... like it's dangerous or something... (okay, cut me some slack on this... remember, I'm a bit mental and dangerous stuff is always cool to me)...

Like, it'd be what gave some supervillain their powers... "Doctor Rage's powers don't come from the amulet, they come from an accidental overdose of radioactive Thyroxine..."  

My point being, most meds actually sound worse than the condition or like they are an alien curse word or some type of really stupid cartoon parasite...

"Ask you doctor if Flogoop is right for you"... "Defikaytic may cause perpetual diarrhea"... "Limpinol can cause a reptile dysfunction"... "alert your doctor if your wounds leak excessive pus while using Oozlot"... "if you experience sudden death while taking Skylumpo, stop taking Skylumpo immediately"... 

Clearly those aren't real medications... or are they?... I honestly don't know anymore... literally any bizarre sounding noise or grunt is potentially a copyrighted medicine name... I feel like Big Pharmaceutical companies have teams of marketing people beating retired circus apes with sticks trying come up with new sounds to use for their products... well, regardless... most medications seem to have idiotic names these days and at least that one sounds less terribly unoriginal and dumb.

Post edited by McGyver on
    edited September 2023

AgitatedRiot said:

Ok, stop making me feel fat.

You are not Fat...

You are NOT FAT...

YOU ARE NOT FAT!

I feel that just like age, you are only as fat as you feel... unless the floor collapses under you, as long as you feel light, you are light.

Its a stupid theory, but I'm going to use it to make millions of dollars creating a new fad diet that allows you to eat anything, including the book, which will be printed on a deep fried pork rind "paper" I developed as an alternative to rice paper.

Very tasty and surely very unhealthy, but the point is I will make lots of money without consequences because my defense will be "it's a novelty diet, not meant to actually be practiced, but experienced through satirical engagement"... (whatever the hell that means)... 

Anyway, you aren't fat... nobody is... only fat is fat, one may contain copious amounts of fat on their person, but unless you let societal labels keep you down, the only thing stopping you is you... and maybe gravity, but gravity is a jerk, and even gravity isn't saying you are fat, it's just illustrating laws of physics in a nonjudgmental fashion, one any individual can choose to ignore if they refuse to succumb to society's unrealistic expectations of physical looks in an age where technology is poised to allow us to be anything we can imagine within a virtual world... 

... ah... it needs some work... the rhetorical nonsense isn't elliptical enough... but the deep fried pork rind pages are a go, and I'm thinking of including a packet of my "VixMix Unhealthy Dipping Sauce #23" with every book.

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,502
    edited September 2023
    I hate the BMI scale. It's BMI = W/H^2 Where W=weight in kg. H=height in metres. Any engineer will instantly see the flaw. A volume based variable is being divided by an area based variable. It automatically works against tall people as it effectively assumes that as the height increases, only the shoulder width increases, and the chest depth of someone 1.5m (5ft) tall will be the same as someone 2m (6'6") tall. This is patently nonsense, which is why the whole BMI on which doctors so profoundly pontificate is complete and utter nonsense. For some reason, the doctors who bring it up with me don't appreciate my opinion. Do the calculations yourself, using an average density of 985 kg/m^3 in you simulated cadaver. Regards, Richard.
    Post edited by richardandtracy on
  • richardandtracy said:

I hate the BMI scale. It's BMI = W/H^2 Where W=weight in kg. H=height in metres. Any engineer will instantly see the flaw. A volume based variable is being divided by an area based variable. It automatically works against tall people as it effectively assumes that as the height increases, only the shoulder width increases, and the chest depth of someone 1.5m (5ft) tall will be the same as someone 2m (6'6") tall. This is patently nonsense, which is why the whole BMI on which doctors so profoundly pontificate is complete and utter nonsense. For some reason, the doctors who bring it up with me don't appreciate my opinion. Do the calculations yourself, using an average density of 985 kg/m^3 in you simulated cadaver. Regards, Richard.

They say I should weigh about 128–162 lb. When I was at peak fitness, I weighed 190, a bit of muscle-bound since I worked out with heavy objects all my life. Went from Overweight to obese in a flash.

• only one crow triggered it today

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,878

richardandtracy said:

There's a more basic flaw: fat is not the only variable in a person's weight. According to BMI, this man is obese:

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932

...complaint:

It appears I need to put a "moratorium" on purchasing any more dForce items as for some reason when I try to run a simulation, it now crashes my display driver necessitating a reboot of the system to get things back to normal (one display loses signal and goes into sleep mode).  This has only been occurring recently and I'm a bit puzzled as I've run dForce sims on both clothing and hair that was more complex with no issue.  The latest happened with the FIona Dress for G8F, which is a fairly simple mesh in comparison to items like the Hula Skirt and Primavera Hair for which the simulation ran without a hitch. I've also been working in 4.21.0.5 ever since it was released in October of last year and have the latest (473.62 desktop for WIn7 64 bit) driver that supersedes 471.41 and is also compatible with version 4.21.0.5.

I also ran a test in the 4.20 beta and it crashed there as well. using the dForce Helper plugin (which for some odd reason does not show in 4.21 even though on the product page it says it is compatible)..

I posted a thread to the Daz Studio forum but it hasn't received many responses and one brought up virtual memory and paging size.  I was under the Impression that the GPU handled the operation in OpenCL.  I should also have enough system memory (24 GB) to cover it as well.  It doesn't make sense that it would take more resources than rendering (and I only run sims in texture shaded mode, not Iray view),  I also don't have any other software or processes running (including my browser and set my AV to quiet mode) when I'm working in Daz. to reduce background operations.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,175

Gordig said:

richardandtracy said:

There's a more basic flaw: fat is not the only variable in a person's weight. According to BMI, this man is obese:

Yes, muscle weighs more than fat per volume.  When I worked out at a gym, girls would wonder why they weren't losing weight after a certain amount of time, but actually started to gain weight again...muscle. 

• Gordig said:

richardandtracy said:

Try explaining that to a GP/nurse. You will almost certainly get a 'Does Not Compute' look and then are rapidly ignored. A simple (if wrong) number means that uncertainties can be concealed and one number can be used to rule a life.Same applies to colesterol. My wife & I eat the same diet. Her 'bad' colesterol is over 6, so needs to be reduced. My total with exactly the same diet is under 6 (at 4.5) but my 'BAD' colesterol needs to be increased and my 'GOOD' needs to be decreased. From an already acceptable level?!? This time I'm the one giving a 'Does Not Compute' look.

Regards,

Richard

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,442
    edited September 2023

Feathers, rattles, dances, herbs, special dirt, faith and magic words.  The essence of non-surgical medicine.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
    edited September 2023

Should we expect Twinkie flavored jelly?:  https://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/jelly-giant-jm-smucker-agrees-buy-twinkie-maker-hostess-brands-56-bill-rcna104348

$3 billion for Twinkies?  That's a lot'a Twinkies!surprise

And now for something completely different:

Raise your hand if you remember Hans Conried, and "The Twonky".

• LeatherGryphon said:

Should we expect Twinkie flavored jelly?:  https://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/jelly-giant-jm-smucker-agrees-buy-twinkie-maker-hostess-brands-56-bill-rcna104348

Raise your hand if you remember Hans Conried, and "The Twonkie".

You want me to carbon date myself. Yes, I do. I have watched the colorized versions since I was born in the hippie 60s. Then I saw the black and white ones later in life.

• A. I just cleaned the living room floor & area rug: 1. Use slicker brush (type of pet brush with short bent metal "bristles") to get lots of fur off cheap 4'x5' rug. 2. Shake out rug. 3. Sweep up the 1/2 cup dirt that fell out. 4. Replace rug & vacuum. My 2 dogs are worth it though.

B. Our poor older dog was having knee problems last week. He is better now, on a new pain med. We are going to get a doggie knee brace for him. Son is visiting later this week to help us build a outside stair for the door that will have more steps with a lower rise to make it easier on him. Also easier on my knee & Husband's hip.

• AgitatedRiot said:

LeatherGryphon said:

Raise your hand if you remember Hans Conried, and "The Twonkie".

You want me to carbon date myself. Yes, I do. I have watched the colorized versions since I was born in the hippie 60s. Then I saw the black and white ones later in life.

Ah, Hans Conried, unique, memorable face and voice.  "Uncle Tunoose"; "Dr. Terwilliger"; Voice of "Captain Hook"; Voice of "Snidely Whiplash"; Dr Seuss narrator, and others. 

• Any DAZ models of a typical ice-cream stand of the latter half of the 20th century?  DairyQueen, Tastee-Freeze, ... 

I live next to one.  Well, a long defunct one, but independent, not a franchise.  It was called "Wilson's Whirl-In".  It's been a landmark in this area, for at least 60 years, and was even featured in a couple of "Marmaduke" comic strips a few times.  The artist, Brad Anderson, was from this area and knew the owners of the "Whirl-In".   It probably only operated 10 or 15 years through the 60s & 70s, but it has remained a deteriorating monument for decades.  The owner's been slowly removing the old freezers & kitchen stuff for a couple of weeks, plus all the junk that they've been storing in there.  Today however, it shows the first exterior signs of being torn down. they were removing the windows & window frames.  The end of an era.sad

Non-complaint:  When the building's gone, I will have an unobstructed view from my easy-chair, up the main road to the center of town.  Wheee..., free entertainment!yes

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,725

DanaTA said:

Yes, muscle weighs more than fat per volume.  When I worked out at a gym, girls would wonder why they weren't losing weight after a certain amount of time, but actually started to gain weight again...muscle. 

This happened to me when I started mowing lawn and... playing with chainsaws and stuff. 

edited September 2023

Ugh... another annoying article in Apple News... I think I'm going to block The Wallstreet Journal because I'm so tired of articles like "Are There Still Homes In Martha's Vineyard For Under $2,000,000?"... Yeah, probably some crapshack next to a pig farm, but who cares?... seriously, can't your stupid fancy algorithms figure out I'm not someone who'll shell out 2 mill for a "Luxury Residence next to a picturesque farm who's charming odors will recall a time before modern life" (a crapshack next to a stinky pig poop palace)...

Gah... but this one is really annoying... "Three Unforgettable Ways To Travel Around The World"... basically Airplane, Cruise or Luxury Jet.

That last one really tweaks my giblets... Luxury Jet... like one with legroom, or a private jet?... yes, the last one... Get stuffed WSJ... ok?

Luxury Jet... Sweet holy hell, I'd have to find box big enough to fit in and mail myself to distant lands if I wanted to travel around the world... and I don't think I've got that kind of postage cash either... but it's nice to know there are enough folks out there for whom the option of "Luxury Jet" is a thing... makes me happy they can travel without the fear of "Fragile" and "Do Not Drop" being ignored.

McGyver said:

Ugh... another annoying article in Apple News... I think I'm going to block The Wallstreet Journal because I'm so tired of articles like "Are There Still Homes In Martha's Vineyard For Under $2,000,000?"... Yeah, probably some crapshack next to a pig farm, but who cares?... seriously, can't your stupid fancy algorithms figure out I'm not someone who'll shell out 2 mill for a "Luxury Residence next to a picturesque farm who's charming odors will recall a time before modern life" (a crapshack next to a stinky pig poop palace)...

Gah... but this one is really annoying... "Three Unforgettable Ways To Travel Around The World"... basically Airplane, Cruise or Luxury Jet.

That last one really tweaks my giblets... Luxury Jet... like one with legroom, or a private jet?... yes, the last one... Get stuffed WSJ... ok?

Luxury Jet... Sweet holy hell, I'd have to find box big enough to fit in and mail myself to distant lands if I wanted to travel around the world... and I don't think I've got that kind of postage cash either... but it's nice to know there are enough folks out there for whom the option of "Luxury Jet" is a thing... makes me happy they can travel without the fear of "Fragile" and "Do Not Drop" being ignored.

Right...most of us are concerned about traveling down the street without going broke! 

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,975

OMG!! i got a notification!!

edited September 2023

I got one once.  Back in the late '60s.  Demanded I go for the physical, but was rejected after they looked at my very flat feet.  Those invitations haven't gone out in a long time.  Good riddance.

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,725

LeatherGryphon said:

I recently had a Twinkies flavored coffee drink. It was probably one of those drinks that make you gain more weight than the weight of the product. But it was really pleasant. Oddly enough, the Ding Dongs coffee wasn't so good to me. 

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,107

What does a Twinkie taste like?  I can't figure it out without buying one and eating it.

Having some computer issues such as my computer won't turn off.

• Never had a Twinkie. By the look of them, they should taste of pink sugar laden air. Am I wrong?

Regards,

Richard.

Sfariah D said:

What does a Twinkie taste like?  I can't figure it out without buying one and eating it.

Having some computer issues such as my computer won't turn off.

Close all running windows, and then pull the plug.  If it still keeps running, let us know!  laugh 

richardandtracy said:

Never had a Twinkie. By the look of them, they should taste of pink sugar laden air. Am I wrong?

Regards,

Richard.

They never were big on my list.  I preferred Devil Dogs, Ring Dings, Coffee Cakes. Yellow cake with white cream.  They're...OK.  Many have claimed they'd be good for bomb shelters.  They seem to have a half life.

• DanaTA said:

richardandtracy said:

Never had a Twinkie. By the look of them, they should taste of pink sugar laden air. Am I wrong?

Regards,

Richard.

They never were big on my list.  I preferred Devil Dogs, Ring Dings, Coffee Cakes. Yellow cake with white cream.  They're...OK.  Many have claimed they'd be good for bomb shelters.  They seem to have a half life.

I thought fallout shelters worked by keeping out stuff with a half-life? 

• Twinkies are vile. Bleh.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,107

What is bile?

edited September 2023

NylonGirl said:

I recently had a Twinkies flavored coffee drink. It was probably one of those drinks that make you gain more weight than the weight of the product. But it was really pleasant. Oddly enough, the Ding Dongs coffee wasn't so good to me. 

Disclaimer 1: This is long don't read it... reading anything I write is dumb and bad for you.

Disclaimer 2: The following lament/tirade/feature length article was caused by a news article I read earlier about "how to enjoy the perfect cup of coffee" and how everything you think you know about coffee is bad and wrong and you should be ashamed of yourself and beg Waaqa (the sky god of the Oromo tribe of Ethiopia who is supposedly sort of also the God of Coffee) for forgiveness.

But yeah... Novelty coffee... it can be good sometimes... Fun flavors like Hazelnut, or Snickers or Wasabi Chipmunk Chipotle Chocolate... 
    You try them and either enjoy them or vomit profusely and move on...but unfortunately it's all against the laws of coffee connoisseurdom, I hope you know.
    You can't mention those flavored coffees around coffee experts... they'll ostracize you...
    Banish you to the kiddie table for good.

Coffee is one of those things that I used to enjoy collecting or finding new types of... until experts and connoisseurs got involved... those folks who like to tell you you aren't drinking it right or how you pour it can change your experience of the different textures and flavors.
    I'm pretty sure if your coffee has texture, you need to throw away the milk, or there's a hole in the filter.
    Also you aren't allowed to put milk or cream or sugar in your coffee as it's a cardinal sin.
    You go to coffee hell for that.

But yeah... experts and trendy shops ruined coffee for me...  
    It used to be fun to discover some new kind of coffee... and back then it wasn't super expensive either.
    And now you have people telling you how to experience every aspect of the process too... Megh.

I'm pretty sure someone at some point is going to tell me I'm not peeing it out right... that there's some special angle or method involved to complete the full journey from cup to bowl.

Regardless... Once it was fun to try and discover new coffees... back when I was in high school I discovered a small tea and coffee importing shop in lower Manhattan and I decided to try some coffees and teas that I'd never heard of... 

Basically ones that didn't have catchy jingles about how that first sip of coffee can stop you from going on a murderous rampage or give you that lift that keeps you going... possibly on a murderous rampage too, but whatever... these were coffees in sacks and bins and teas in steel canisters with names other than Lipton... 
    The shop itself was out of a different era... more like something Bogart would walk into to enquire as to the whereabouts of someone named Maurice De La Coc... or more likely was a place that was probably selling illegally smuggled Mogwais in the back room... 

It was one of those cast iron facade buildings that was popular back in the later 1800s when apparently shops used to lob cannon balls at each other to weed out the competition... the exterior was adorned in that mandatory sooty dark green paint that had never been scraped or sanded between thick coats and was full of pits, lumps, cracks, and pigeons and mice that weren't fast enough to avoid being entombed in the painting process... 
    The door had a little bell that tinkled when you opened it and the ancient wooden floors were worn and creaked as one walked... maybe not in the best way... maybe a little like you weren't sure if you were going to visit the basement if you stepped in the wrong spot... but the smell of the place was amazing...
    I imagine that was what explorers smelled when they came upon a bazaar or souk at some ancient marketplace... just with less armpit odor and camel sweat... slightly less... it was summer and I had biked there and one of the camels that worked there looked pretty sweaty... actually I don't think that was a camel... it was possibly just the guy who moved around the coffee sacks... my memory is fuzzy on that part because of all the amazing smells and the charming if not somewhat ancient atmosphere.

I'll save the rest of the description of the place for my book, because it actually plays an important part in the events that unfolded later and way before, but it was an interesting place and I used to go there to buy small but affordable quantities of unheard of (at the time)coffees and teas...

Now, granted, there have always been coffee and tea connoisseurs, but nowadays thanks to foodies and cable TV shows (in my useless opinion it's still a "cable" show even if its streaming, if it acts and smells like a cable show), everyone is an expert on everything culinary...

Recently my friend was telling us about buying a blowtorch for the kitchen because there's this guy on some show who uses one to sear meat, apparently forgetting I did that back in the 80s because I didn't have a grill... evidently when that guy does it, he's Nikola friggin' Tesla and when I did it they were all like "Bro, what the hell, that's not what a blowtorch is for"...

But yeah... you can put any nimnutz in front of a camera and suddenly they are steeped in the marinade of legitimacy and wisdom... at least to someone... and often there are enough someone's that it seems like everyone... and what was once weird is now SOP... (Standard Operating Procedure, not Slippery Otter Pus)... 

I don't think I really care about having done something before it was cool... yeah, back when I was buying coffee and tea from that little shop, most people had never heard about Lasang Souchong tea (besides Churchill, he was really into teas that tasted like burnt sweat-socks) or Kenyan AA coffee... but now if you haven't had a coffee that was pooped out by a Civet Cat or tea that was found stuffed in pouch in the hands of a 3,800 year old Tarim mummy you haven't experienced brewed beverages, you damned philistine clod... and even then it has to be brewed correctly (pick a trend), served correctly (pick a trend), drunk at the correct temperature (pick a trend) and served in the correct vessel (pick a trend)... and even if you checked all the right boxes for all of that, you may have blow it all by not storing it properly... which if I'm understanding correctly at this point is in the absence of light, humidity, heat and oxygen... presumably on an asteroid on the edge of the solar system somewhere, where any truly knowledgeable coffee or tea connoisseur keeps these things... the freezing vacuum of deep space.

But to me it's not just that... it's that annoying expertise everyone has now... doing things they discovered two months ago, like they deciphered some ancient manuscript that instructed them to journey across the world to some master coffee dojo at the top of a hidden mountain and were trained in the art of the seven mug angles by the reluctant one eyed brewmaster who warned them brewing coffee too hot would one day be their downfall.

You know how I discovered cold brewing?... I'm lazy... my step-grandfather was from Brazil and made coffee using a "coffee sock"... I think it's called a bolsita or something like that, but I can't find the proper name for it because some a***ole appropriated and patented the name "Coffee Sock" and charges $30 for a $2 item that you can find in any bodega, but if you google "what's the correct name for a coffee sock?", all you can find is an overpriced cotton sleeve that is definitely going to save the planet...  
    but yeah... making coffee in the sock (a long cone shaped dense cotton filter with a handle), takes a bit of time because you are supposed to use a very fine ground espresso coffee like Bustelo and it takes a while to filter... you can hold the filter or hang on something, but either way it takes a little bit of time to drain/filter... so one day ages ago (probably late 80s) I was making it that way, but suddenly I got a call and had to run out and had only moistened the coffee a bit, so when I came back I had a tiny bit of room temperature coffee drops and a pot's worth of damp grounds... I was too lazy to clean it up or throw it out, so I placed the coffee and sock in the carafe of water, as a "later me" problem... the next morning my dad found the coffee sitting there and put it in the fridge for me, not knowing it had been sitting there for a day or so, and when I found it a day later, I discovered it tasted slightly different than hot brewed.

But not significantly enough to be that guy who evangelizes the virtues of cold brew over "hot" coffee and how it will give you magical powers, and will make your tastebuds sing like a choir of angels, or make you as spry as a teenager...  
    It was okay... but not worth being annoying about.

I save my annoying for other stuff... like writing... I'm 100% sure I'm being annoying to someone right now.

The first time I ever heard of "Cold brew" was at a coffeehouse my friend took me too a dozen years ago... I was a bit drunkish at the time and as such tended to be a lot more gregarious, which is why I suppose the shop owner decided to tell me everything about his handmade, hand blown glass, coffee still... and how cold brewing is like nothing else on earth...  
    It was pretty trippy... I felt like he was going to invite me to join a cult, but I was in a Hawkeye Pierce/Alan Alda mood, so I probably blew it by saying something too wisecrackie or something.
    But apparently they sell these huge hand blown glass coffee stills for thousands of dollars and if you want one you have to put your name on a list and wait a year or so...

I love having friends who have ridiculous amounts of disposable income that they take me to visit ridiculous places like that so it reminds me that despite being incredibly ridiculous myself, I'm not actually the most ridiculous person on this planet, like it often seems... ridiculously.

Over the years I've tried so many different, unorthodox ways of making coffee (that are now apparently very trendy), not to brew a perfect cup, but because I'm frickin' lazy... at some point I did the math and figured it was easier to make a gallon or two of coffee and store it in the fridge than to keep making a pot a time... the problem is I like strong coffee... like nearly lethal caffeine level coffee... and to achieve that I need to harness every last molecule of caffeine and flavor out of the grinds...
    I figured out an easy way... according to my wife its "a coffee meth lab/science experiment", but...  its mostly hands off, makes strong coffee and lots of it... and best of all is easy to clean up...
    But even best of, best of all, I don't go on about it trying to get everyone else to adopt it... it's not going to save the world, it's not the best coffee you ever had, it's not an experience to drink, it's actually kind of dumb and lazy, it doesn't release mystical notes and aromas and cure your woes... it's just a ton of strong coffee in a friggin jar... and you don't need to use special coffees, but you can and they still taste like they should.
    Pfft.  
    It's coffee. 
    And however you like your coffee or tea... damn good for you! 
    If you have your Matcha with sugar and cream and dunk a live mouse in it, then great... if you just like a cup cheap coffee from the diner down the block, good for you!... If you enjoy a K-cup of orange sherbet coffee, that's awesome... you're a monster for destroying the planet with your disgusting little plastic poison time bombs, but good for you for not trying to lord over humanity with your all encompassing culinary knowledge.

You be you and enjoy what makes you hyper and happy... and pee a lot.

Thats what coffee and tea are for.

• Sfariah D said:

What is bile?

Bile is "a bitter greenish-brown alkaline fluid that aids digestion and is secreted by the liver and stored in the gallbladder". 

This discussion has been closed.