Daz Studio 4.9 Beta Now Available..

Comments

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526

I edit often product morph, figures. (I use other modelor)

eg I  divide expression controlelr , after bake as node rotation,translation,

for above part, and bottom part,  then modify again add new MCM to smooth them.   then save them as  new ERC  controller

for all face node translation,  as my new expression controller.   I have never sell or up-load them definetly I use it only for my character .

then now I feel it seems  no meaning if you DAZ forgive me  to tweak product morphs , or preset, or,poze controller  as I like, in daz studio,  and save it as new file without encripted  DSON.

all products are just files which saved  by daz studio.  that means I can copy and save each files as different name.  I can copy all files as diffrent name,

then I can re-package them If I really hope so.

If daz do not encripted about user saved files. , then user can edit new saved user file as same as before, maybe bad guys easy re-distribute them. 

if daz encripted them too, that means user can not edit new saved file any more without daz stuido,  even though it was modified  by user .

Then I can not  imagine what daz really plan.

After all, DAZ  will force me , all file which saved by daz studio, as encripted, and I can not see them by text editor.

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100

Is 4.9 better than 4.8? That's really all I need to know.

Lots of bug fixes, to include bugs fixed in both Iray and 3Delight. (New versions of both.) Also updated to version 3 of OpenSubDiv. 

I edit often product morph, figures. (I use other modelor)

eg I  divide expression controlelr , after bake as node rotation,translation,

for above part, and bottom part,  then modify again add new MCM to smooth them.   then save them as  new ERC  controller

for all face node translation,  as my new expression controller.   I have never sell or up-load them definetly I use it only for my character .

then now I feel it seems  no meaning if you DAZ forgive me  to tweak product morphs , or preset, or,poze controller  as I like, in daz studio,  and save it as new file without encripted  DSON.

all products are just files which saved  by daz studio.  that means I can copy and save each files as different name.  I can copy all files as diffrent name,

then I can re-package them If I really hope so.

If daz do not encripted about user saved files. , then user can edit new saved user file as same as before, maybe bad guys easy re-distribute them. 

if daz encripted them too, that means user can not edit new saved file any more without daz stuido,  even though it was modified  by user .

Then I can not  imagine what daz really plan.

After all, DAZ  will force me , all file which saved by daz studio, as encripted, and I can not see them by text editor.

I believe I am understanding what you are asking.

You can still use other modelers to create morphs. That has not changed.

Your saved files are not encrypted. 

You can still save files. 

You can hack your own files, but that is not a safe workflow and is discouraged. 

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,970

There's at least one 100% bug (IE: crash any time I used X material on Y object) that was fixed, so there's that.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Metadata is just to populate the database and yes, all the metadata for all the products that have it is downloaded in that first connection.  What shows in Smart Content is just what you have installed...the rest will populate the 'Suggested' part of the store option.

mjc1016 said:

Metadata is just to populate the database and yes, all the metadata for all the products that have it is downloaded in that first connection.  What shows in Smart Content is just what you have installed...the rest will populate the 'Suggested' part of the store option.

Almost. The Metadata that you already have is not downloaded again, it is simply migrated. 

In the Product view of Smart Content what shows depends on which button you have pushed. It is what you have installed, what you own, what you own but don't have installed, what you own that has updates, or what is currently in progress. 

• Digital Lite DesignDigital Lite Design Posts: 728
    edited October 2015

Here is a step by step on how to categorize your assets for those who want to give it a try.  :)  Notice I am using Littlefoxe's Xanadu hair, from another store....NOT a Daz store product to demo this.  :)

1. Open both the Content Library and Smart Content panes.  (However you want your layout - you just need to be able to access both)

2. Drag the asset from Content Library into the appropriate Smart Content Category.  (You can multi-select as needed)

3. If there isn't one that matches what you want, or prefer, then you can create one.  :)  (See attached images)

4. When you finish, be sure to Export User Data!

a. R-Click the Content Library pane's tab

b. Choose Content DB Maintenance...

c. Check (only) the Export User Data

d. Hit Accept

You are all set.  You can now find ANY content from ANY store in ANY category (virtual filter folder) you wish.  :)

fast.png
    1512 x 1080 - 381K
    step1.png
    675 x 845 - 79K
    step2.png
    663 x 823 - 86K
    Post edited by Digital Lite Design on
  • kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526

>DAZ spookey

I worry about vendor , . but as one user I really hope DAZ  keep user free about their bought prodcut.   

anyway I do not talk about it anymore. just thank you.  I hope you understand what I worry and feel strange.

• I'm glad a poster above raised the issue of trust, because this issue underpins the introduction of 4.9. Daz users are now all treated as would-be pirates who can no longer be trusted to do the right thing. Hence the DRM encryption regime.

So apparently we all need  to be watched very closely as potential criminals, for our own good of course. This scatter-gun approach to security is hard to justify at best, and insulting at worst. It's the NSA big brother approach that proved so embarrassing for them. But I would have to agree that in this day and age trust is increasingly hard to come by. And I can understand why so many are cynical when Daz says "trust us with this", when 4.9 means that same level of trust is no longer shown towards its users. I think this is why so many find it hard to express what they actually don't like about 4.9, It isn't the program itself. It's the erosion of trust and wholesale shift in how Daz now views its users.

The problem is that any protection has to apply to all - a pop-up asking if the user was a warezer and applying protection only if yes was selected wouldn't work, and that is what would be needed to not apply the protection universally. It does't mean you are thought to be a thief - it means the thieves will not declare themselves.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047

About a year before Hurricane Irene hit Long Island I was at a local newspaper for an interview about something I had written, I happened to start up a conversation with another fellow who was there for an interview as well. I forget what his exact job title was but basically he was in charge of my county's disaster preparedness and response group, team or whatever... He went on at length describing how perfectly prepared local government was for a major hurricane and its aftermath... Then a year later I got to see how absolutely delusional he was when "hurricane" Irene hit... and then a year after that,  how despite having an opportunity to have learned from Irene which basically was a severely weakened tropical storm, backwards steps were actually found to have been made when hurricane Sandy, which was barely even a Cat 1 storm made landfall...  In my life when people seem to have a plan, more often than not it usually works out the same... Mostly this is due to best case scenario planning... A wave of the hand and "That ain't gonna happen"... Perhaps a large number of people have minor or few troubles, but those that do have real problems get royally screwed, And thus being in a minority, they are told to fill out forms and it'll work out eventually... I'm a huge pessimist because of these sort of experiences.  And worse yet you are treated a paranoid if you voice a concern beforehand and being a whiner after a problem has occurred.   

And I really hope that is not the case here.

Despite whatever anyone here says, pro or con, this is going forward... Because the one thing I am sure of is- DAZ will do what they were gonna do once they decided to do that... Period, end of discussion.

If problems do occur, file a support ticket and hope it works out.

Thats what ruined the Platinum Club for me and why I'll never join it again, and why for at least two years I hardly used Studio other than for checking to see if my free models worked in it. But I'm one person, I'm an older member/user, and I probably spend comparatively little in relation to most people... Probably, low on the list of the kind of people who you'd want as a customer here... I hardly think my concerns or opinions will alter or even weigh on any decisions made here... 

I said this because I saw a previous post which called this a "WOT of a thread" and the besides Wall Of Text, the only other thing that made sense was Waste Of Time... Which I suppose it is... In today's business climate customers concerns, experiences and opinions are a waste of time to entertain. Has it ever changed anything? For any old customer lost, new ones will replace them and when they quit, they will be replaced... Why bother trying to keep both happy... 

I hope this works out, I hope it does not evolve into something more complex and restrictive... I do genuinely appreciate being informed of how the new implementations will work... But I also know things dont always work out the same in practice as in print...

Just another waste of time post in a waste of time thread I suppose

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,874

Spooky, I mentioned it pages ago, but you weren't online I think- I am trying the 4.9 and all I did was give my email and password- there was no giving the serial number required. That was with the installation. Is a serial number required when you purchase using the studio? 

I had 4160 things installed from DIM and it was literally less than 2 minutes before the studio came up with all the products (in color, with the little cloud.) It was amazingly smooth!  I haven't checked to see if everything is there though.

I will mention that unless it was somewhere I didn't see, the Render tab isn't there, you go up to the top and drag Render where you want to put it. 

So far, so good. 

• Novica said:

Spooky, I mentioned it pages ago, but you weren't online I think- I am trying the 4.9 and all I did was give my email and password- there was no giving the serial number required. That was with the installation. Is a serial number required when you purchase using the studio? 

I had 4160 things installed from DIM and it was literally less than 2 minutes before the studio came up with all the products (in color, with the little cloud.) It was amazingly smooth!  I haven't checked to see if everything is there though.

I will mention that unless it was somewhere I didn't see, the Render tab isn't there, you go up to the top and drag Render where you want to put it. 

So far, so good. 

Was this your first Public beta? If not it will have remembered your serials (and layouts) from before.

Novica said:

So far, so good. 

The Serial number is not required to connect and DS remembers it when it is installed. 

I am glad it is working for you. Thanks for letting us know. 

The render tab moved? Are you using a custom layout, or one of the defaults? 

Novica said:

So far, so good. 

Was this your first Public beta? If not it will have remembered your serials (and layouts) from before.

The Serial number pool is shared between the beta version and the release version. It is one of two things normally shared between the two versions. The database, this time around, is partially shared in functionality. 

• Nyghtfall3DNyghtfall3D Posts: 765
    edited October 2015
    • In Figures you will now see all the figures you have that are Genesis 3 Female (And, barring metadata errors, only characters that are based o Genesis 3 Female).

That's another reason why I'm so insisted on manually installing and organizing content.  Zero risk of errors.

Thanks to drag and drop, organization of your content, the way you want to organize it, is a snap. 

Thanks to Windows Explorer, being able to simply point any version DS to my main content library is a snap.

Post edited by Nyghtfall3D on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,970

It would be nice if, when 4.9 doesn't know where files are, it asks you to locate all of them and not just the first one (not the worst thing ever, but annoying)

• I only read 15 pages, but has the topic of editing texture maps been discussed? Editing maps in PS is a frequent task for me. I would be remarkably sad if I was no longer able to do so.
    edited October 2015
    Nyghtfall said:
    • In Figures you will now see all the figures you have that are Genesis 3 Female (And, barring metadata errors, only characters that are based o Genesis 3 Female).

That, right there, is another reason why I'm so insisted on manually installing and organizing content.  Zero risk of errors.

Thanks to drag and drop, organization of your content, the way you want to organize it, is a snap. 

Thanks to Windows Explorer, being able to simply point any version DS to my main content library is a snap.

You can fix those errors. 

It is good to know that there is someone that is infallible in the world.  :) (Sorry, I couldn't resist.) 

Wait you can poiint DS to a content library from Windows Explorer? I was under the impression you could only point DS to a Content Library from within DS. 

Post edited by DAZ_Spooky on
  • lx_2807502lx_2807502 Posts: 2,996
    Gazukull said:
    I only read 15 pages, but has the topic of editing texture maps been discussed? Editing maps in PS is a frequent task for me. I would be remarkably sad if I was no longer able to do so.

I downloaded some of my content into Daz Connect and was able to access the texture image files completely uncompressed as normal. Only the DSF etc gets encrypted. See my post a few posts up for details.

Gazukull said:
    I only read 15 pages, but has the topic of editing texture maps been discussed? Editing maps in PS is a frequent task for me. I would be remarkably sad if I was no longer able to do so.

No change there. 

• Nyghtfall said:

That's another reason why I'm so insisted on manually installing and organizing content.  Zero risk of errors.

Thank you! You said it in many less words than I could. LOL

• Gazukull said:

No change there. 

Even with forthcoming smart connect content? If so, I think we will be all good...
    Gazukull said:
    Gazukull said:

No change there. 

Even with forthcoming smart connect content? If so, I think we will be all good...

Correct. No changes with that. 

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    Gazukull said:

No sadness. Maps are not encoded.

• DAZ_JonDAZ_Jon Posts: 582
    DAZ_Rawb said:

Morpheon's comments about library size and lack of organization echoes my main concern...

My DIM Download directory has 18,227 files in it and is 355 GBs.

My Runtime library is 438 GBs.

So, theoretically... Let's assume that each item that DAZ Connect has to download is 15k. I think that is a reasonably conservative estimate on size for the metadata and an icon image.

18,226 / 2 = 9,113. That is my DIM Download directory count (minus one for a subdirectory) divided by two since there are two files for each item.

9,113 x 5k = 136,695k. So almost 140 megs. Conservatively.

A more likely estimate is in the 25k to 30k, which is twice my estimate above.

Why does that number alarm me? Because knowing my luck, the morning before I have to get on a plane, DS is suddenly going to require this download. I am not saying that it will happen, just that Murphy's Law dictates that it will happen at that time.

I have made a considerable monetary investment to have this much content. And I don't earn any money off of this content. This is purely a hobby. So when a game change in technology occurs I think I am reasonable in being concerned.

Just to give you some assurances and since this is a new question, I'll pop back in just for this one.

You never _have_ to download the full set of metadata, if you work in offline mode and install offline packages then things will work a lot like DIM does today, just installing the metadata of things you actually install. (Or, you could just never connect and still just use packages from DIM)

The reason we have it fetch all the metadata instead of just the installed metadata is twofold. Firstly it is to make it so that if you load a scene that references something you own but don't have installed it can give you a helpful popup instead of just loading in the Michelin Man and giving you a popup letting you know some obscure file couldn't load and hopefully you can have your inner Sherlock Holmes sleuth out which product might give you that file. Secondly it is so that fetching metadata becomes much more one-sided, otherwise we would have to send up a lot more data about what exists on your system for it to figure out what metadata to fetch and we don't want to intrude on anyone's privacy even to that small extent.

Thank you for take the time to elaborate with details. Obviously I won't be able to test it out in a real world condition until all of the background work is finished. I am just extremely skeptical at this point.

My DIM start up time is currently my real world measuring stick:
    Laptop: 1-2 minutes at most.
    Desktop #1: 5-6 minutes.
    Desktop #2: About 10 minutes.​​​

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, my real world download times with DIM are painfully slow. On a fiber optic connection 40 Gigs in DIM will take all night to download. Meanwhile I can download 300-400 Gigs from Steam in a couple of hours. (I just reinstalled everything last week, so these are current measuring times.)

One advantage we are excited about with this is faster download times. Currently with DIM all transfers go through a single pipe. Contrary to what many believe, we really are categorized as a small business, so we have a presence in only one data center for all our web services. That pipe is shared with all store, forum, gallery, and DIM traffic. The throughput the firewall can handle is a little over 1Gbps. So slow downloads from DIM is because it isn't distributed and often throttled so as no to degrade quality of other traffic. It's far from ideal, but what we can afford to handle from a budget and manpower aspect. We can't offload to our CDN because we have to do gatekeeper the downloads so people can't access stuff that isn't theirs.

With Daz Connect, you get to pull from our CDN. It's a DNS based CDN, so basically the first time a Daz Connect file gets called, it goes through that pipe, but also gets cached to the edge server. So every subsequent call is very fast, your pipe being the limitation at that point. The more people that use it, the better the CDN performs and better experience for everyone. You should see an improvement with download speeds (provided you aren't the first person to download that file from the edge zone you happen to be in this week) that will be more and more consistent as more people use the install feature in studio. We can push those files to the CDN network because they are encrypted, and the only traffic that 100% has to hit the limited pipe we have is the small payload to know how to install the files.

TLDR: download speeds should improve by a good amount versus DIM because we leverage a CDN now.

• Nyghtfall3DNyghtfall3D Posts: 765
    edited October 2015
    It is good to know that there is someone that is infallible in the world.  :) (Sorry, I couldn't resist.) 

I've made plenty of errors while installing content, but they weren't caused by a database, and I know what I'm doing well enough to have fixed them.

Wait you can poiint DS to a content library from Windows Explorer? I was under the impression you could only point DS to a Content Library from within DS. 

Sorry, no, I'm talking about the Content Library tab in Preferences.

Post edited by Nyghtfall3D on
    Nyghtfall said:

I've made plenty of errors while installing content, but they weren't caused by an internal database, and I know what I'm doing well enough to fix them.

And you can fix smart content as well. From that standpoint, nothing has changed. 

Nyghtfall said:

Sorry, no, I'm talking about the Content Library tab in Preferences.

So you are not infallable. :( Sorry to hear that. :)

• IkyotoIkyoto Posts: 1,159
    Ikyoto said:

I can use stuff without a connection right now. If I can't in the future, I won't be a customer.

You only need to log in to download/install/update content. Not to run the software, not use content, not render.

That's all I needed to clairify. Thanks.

•  

So you are not infallable. :( Sorry to hear that. :)

We're all human.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,874
    edited October 2015
    Novica said:

The render tab moved? Are you using a custom layout, or one of the defaults? 

I did screenshots of everything, step by step, for my Art Studio thread (haven't posted them yet) but I'll go ahead and grab the one showing how it first loaded, with Render at the top. Was a tab supposed to be located somewhere else that perhaps I didn't see? I used the up and down scroller and scrolled way down (toward the Store) and no Render tab. I had to go to the top and drag it down.

And this is when I had to pull it down and attach it, you can see the tabs on the left in this one, and there was no Render tab.

spooky.jpg
    1725 x 959 - 397K
    spooky2.jpg
    1724 x 982 - 129K
    Post edited by Novica on
This discussion has been closed.