Daz Studio 4.9 Beta Now Available..

Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 2,015
edited October 2015 in The Commons

As the title says I went to my product library to see if there was anything new with Studio and came across something interesting in the it seems that Daz Studio 4.9 is in the works and looks like the beta will be with us soon.. :)  Be interesting to see what is updated when it goes into the public beta phase..

Update: Just changed the title since the beta is now in the public beta phase..

Post edited by Ghosty12 on

Comments

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,141

I cannot check it out till next week but I would like to know more about it.

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 2,015

Me too the anticipation that a newer build is in the works can get a bit much sometimes.. lol :D

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,970

I've had at least one bug report come back saying 'fixed in next build,' so...

• ToyenToyen Posts: 1,879

Yep! I can see it there too! It was about time Studio got an update. Time to say goodbye to the old logo I guess : )

Super excited!

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 2,015

Me too hopefully the errors I have been getting of late are hopefully fixed. :)  I like the new look very cool looking that is for sure.

So, what do you think is new? My bet is that overall design update because of the logo and bug fixes. I do not expect anything huge like Iray this time but who knows!

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    Toyen said:

So, what do you think is new? My bet is that overall design update because of the logo and bug fixes. I do not expect anything huge like Iray this time but who knows!

Hopefully a 3DL update...because the last version just missed a big speed boost and 3DL is now at 12.0.x...

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    ghosty12 said:

As the title says I went to my product library to see if there was anything new with Studio and came across something interesting in the it seems that Daz Studio 4.9 is in the works and looks like the beta will be with us soon.. :)  Be interesting to see what is updated when it goes into the public beta phase..

It wasn't there last night, (very early this morning,) when I downloaded this week's PC+ freebie. It's in the public beta phase, or I wouldn't be seeing it.

Now I'm in a quandry... do I download and install it first...? Or do I download and install the 1.1gb of products I just bought? lol

• DAZ_RawbDAZ_Rawb Posts: 817

You could download the new version and use the new connected features to download the 1.1 gb of products.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/64736/daz-studio-pro-beta-version-4-9-0-21

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,065
    edited October 2015

Oh yeah......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post edited by Zev0 on
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    DAZ_Rawb said:

You could download the new version and use the new connected features to download the 1.1 gb of products.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/64736/daz-studio-pro-beta-version-4-9-0-21

After reading that entire thread, I think I'll forego using the new connected features for now... I don't think I want DAZ "suggesting" content to me. Sounds too much like advertising within the app.
    no

• L'Adair said:
    DAZ_Rawb said:

After reading that entire thread, I think I'll forego using the new connected features for now... I don't think I want DAZ "suggesting" content to me. Sounds too much like advertising within the app.
    no

Yeah, I'm really uncomfortable with that. If this is going to be the new default, I'm going to be doing my 3d shopping elsewhere. frown

• araneldonaraneldon Posts: 712

Advertising, tracking, and DRM. No thanks. As long as I can have my content without any of that, or forced "cloud" integration, I'm happy. Otherwise I'll start shopping elsewhere.

L'Adair said:
    DAZ_Rawb said:

no

The store panel is the only place it will give you suggestions, if you close that panel it won't show you anything.

In addition, there was extra effort put in to make sure that building the suggestions send no data up to the server, all of that is calculated inside of the store pane in studio.

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,127

New beta installed here :) *happy*

I like the store intergration, though I don't see the suggestion part yet.

first render attached, this one was broken for me in 4.8, works now :)

first beta render.jpg
    1080 x 910 - 163K
  • JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,281

Don't know about the beta, but I suspect that the G3M base will be turning up to be included well in time for the release.

Does the 'suggested' bring up stuff that's related to content you have, like if you have the Blablerg Texture Pack, will it suggest Blablerg: The Blergling?

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,127

Does the 'suggested' bring up stuff that's related to content you have, like if you have the Blablerg Texture Pack, will it suggest Blablerg: The Blergling?

I've not found the suggested items yet,,the only options I have on the Products Pane are

All,  Installed,  Updates, and Pending

No suggestions,,or I'm looking in the wrong place for them

I don' t really mind an advert here and there....don' t forget that Studio is given as a free program so it sounds fair to me that they might wanna do some advertising inside DS as well.

• acanthisacanthis Posts: 604
    DAZ_Rawb said:
    L'Adair said:
    DAZ_Rawb said:

no

The store panel is the only place it will give you suggestions, if you close that panel it won't show you anything.

In addition, there was extra effort put in to make sure that building the suggestions send no data up to the server, all of that is calculated inside of the store pane in studio.

What is all of that "In the Cloud" stuff? I hate that term because it actually means nothing or anything, depending upon what story the marketing man wants to tell.

I'm assuming that it just means products you own that you haven't downloaded yet. In which case DIM already does that, so I really don't see the need to bloat the DAZ Studio application with duplicate functionality. otoh If this is something new, what exactly is it? Tell us more.

As for "DAZ would like to suggest you buy this because you just clicked on that". Yeah. Thanks, but no thanks.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,726
    edited October 2015
    araneldon said:

Advertising, tracking, and DRM. No thanks. As long as I can have my content without any of that, or forced "cloud" integration, I'm happy. Otherwise I'll start shopping elsewhere.

Have to agreed, I want to focus on creating ditigal art. If I wanted to view my products, use services on the DAZ site or interact with other usrers, I would use the net and my browser of choice, not DS.

that's the problem with todays society, too many people want to be connected to everything at once. makes me wonder how much longer I will be able to use DS

Post edited by FSMCDesigns on
    araneldon said:

Have to agreed, I want to focus on creating ditigal art. If I wanted to view my products, use services on the DAZ site or interact with other usrers, I would use the net and my browser of choice, not DS.

That exactly.

If you are showing the store panel it should filter down the display to show you which items are most popular related to your current selection in the scene. Since we don't want to send your selections up to the server we are a bit limited in how we can match, but we try to be as useful as we can be.

Ah well, I was hoping for a 'here are dependent items you don't have' at some point. Maybe next build. ;)

DAZ_Rawb said:

If you are showing the store panel it should filter down the display to show you which items are most popular related to your current selection in the scene. Since we don't want to send your selections up to the server we are a bit limited in how we can match, but we try to be as useful as we can be.

Yes, but that's a misinterpretation of what most people want. I don't want item X because it's popular. I want item X because it's an extension for item W. Anything else is push advertising and I won't have it.

So kindly give us the option to turn off ALL unwanted interactions with the DAZ store when we are creating 3D art. Don't make the same mistake that Microsoft have made with Windows 10. The user is the one who must decide what they see - not a marketing man.

acanthis said:
    DAZ_Rawb said:

Yes, but that's a misinterpretation of what most people want. I don't want item X because it's popular. I want item X because it's an extension for item W. Anything else is push advertising and I won't have it.

So kindly give us the option to turn off ALL unwanted interactions with the DAZ store when we are creating 3D art. Don't make the same mistake that Microsoft have made with Windows 10. The user is the one who must decide what they see - not a marketing man.

The store panel is totally optional as are all of the online features in 4.9, the store panel can just be closed and won't pop back up until you bring it back. You can upgrade to 4.9, never connect and still use anything installed the old ways and still get to use the improved smart content pane and new versions of both Iray and 3Delight.

Does installing content through 4.9 force a single case (upper/lower/whatever, just as long as it is uniform) on the content directories?

For those of us on case sensetive file systems DIM is worthless (and there is too much to keep track of), because the content zips are NOT uniformly named, according to case.  And if there is now an in program 'replacement' for  the DIM, it would make an even bigger mess of things.

• ToborTobor Posts: 2,300

Since Daz's retail pricing structure and sales have taught me never to buy product that's at full price, any "suggestion" that's not discounted at least 30-50% will get ignored by me. 

I'm wondering how useful -- to users -- non-interrogative product suggestions are. Such a refined feature should have first appeared in the Daz store. Since the existing one is pretty dismal at guessing what products will be interesting -- I've never had the slightest inkling to add a "suggested" product after hitting the Add to Cart button -- I can't imagine the feature built into D|S would be any better.

(Here's an example of how the Daz cart doesn't do a great job here: As a test, I added the Valerie character to my cart. It then told me I needed a bunch of other stuff I didn't have, which is irrelevant here. Then it "suggested" a bunch of other *characters*. Not hair, not clothes, not shoes, not poses, not expressions, but just more of the same. That's not how to do it.)

mjc1016 said:

Does installing content through 4.9 force a single case (upper/lower/whatever, just as long as it is uniform) on the content directories?

For those of us on case sensetive file systems DIM is worthless (and there is too much to keep track of), because the content zips are NOT uniformly named, according to case.  And if there is now an in program 'replacement' for  the DIM, it would make an even bigger mess of things.

Daz Connect stores all files and directories in lowercase so it should work without any issues on case sensitive filesystems.

That is an improvement.

This discussion has been closed.