Daz Studio 4.9 Beta Now Available..

Comments

• RCTSpankyRCTSpanky Posts: 850

Just a few simple questions:

1. Can I run 4.8 and 4.9 simultaneously?

2. Can I use 4.9 without using the Connect Content Manager?

3. Can I install my content for usage in 4.9 further manually from downloaded DAZ DIM-files or from other Stores as I do it now?

4. Will any new content further be available in my Product library for Download?

Points 2 to 4 are most import for me. I like to store the products that I have paid on external media to have always my own backups.

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited October 2015

I have the same problem as Novica. Half of my content is greyed out or missing in Smart Content! Everything I have ever bought from Daz has been installed, but I can't use some of it now unless I download it again from cloud!

I don't like the Smart Content and I still can't find anything quickly. Also it is so slow to load the images. A lot slower than 4.8.

Sorry but I have decided I am going to uninstall it.

Post edited by Wilmap on
  • Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 2,015
    Wilmap said:

I have the same problem as Novica. Half of my content is greyed out or missing in Smart Content! Everything I have ever bought from Daz has been installed, but I can't use some of it now unless I download it again from cloud!

I don't like the Smart Content and I still can't find anything quickly. Also it is so slow to load the images. A lot slower than 4.8.

What you have to do is when in the Smart Content section up the top of the pane you will see a Arrow with 4 lines running down from it click on Content DB Maintenance and select Re-Import Metadata, what that will do is tell Smart Content where your content is..  I had the same problem and doing that fixed it for me, but well I went back to using the Content Library as some items still would not show in Smart Content..

In file loading I have seen a small increase in speed, where it is good is that 3Delight does render better if it is not crashing though mind you it was crashing in 4.8..

• DarkSpartanDarkSpartan Posts: 1,096
    RCTSpanky said:

3. Can I install my content for usage in 4.9 further manually from downloaded DAZ DIM-files or from other Stores as I do it now?

4. Will any new content further be available in my Product library for Download?

Points 2 to 4 are most import for me. I like to store the products that I have paid on external media to have always my own backups.

Yes to all of the above.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,874
    ghosty12 said:
    Wilmap said:

What you have to do is when in the Smart Content section up the top of the pane you will see a Arrow with 4 lines running down from it click on Content DB Maintenance and select Re-Import Metadata, what that will do is tell Smart Content where your content is..  I had the same problem and doing that fixed it for me, but well I went back to using the Content Library as some items still would not show in Smart Content..

I already stated I had done that, checked, no change, then exited and came back in and no change. But maybe it'll help someone else. wink I'm a Content Library person anyway.

edited October 2015
    Wilmap said:

Wendy, why do you have to use the "cloud?" (Can't she simply change her DIM to point to the place that 4.9 uses?)

Post edited by Novica on
  • lx_2807502lx_2807502 Posts: 2,996
    Novica said:
    Wilmap said:

Wendy, why do you have to use the "cloud?" (Can't she simply change her DIM to point to the place that 4.9 uses?)

Calling it cloud makes things much more confusing to so many people. It really isn't a cloud service and it isn't remotely required in 4.9

You can continue using your regular content library in the same place as it was before - all you need to do is go into the content manager (edit preferences content manager button for directory manger) and tell Daz where your installed content is (and it can be placed anywhere on any drive you want it to.) Then you can go on with everything exactly as before.

The new Daz Connect content will automatically go into the topmost of the folders you nominate in the content manager (this needs to be clearer, Daz.) but if you have a product installed (that Daz knows about via having the directory chosen as above) then connect wont bug you to download it again.

ghosty12 said:
    Wilmap said:

In file loading I have seen a small increase in speed, where it is good is that 3Delight does render better if it is not crashing though mind you it was crashing in 4.8..

I did re-import the metadata, but it made no difference. Still showed items as not installed. No worries, I have now uninstalled 4.9 and won't use it any more.

lx said:
    Novica said:
    Wilmap said:

Calling it cloud makes things much more confusing to so many people. It really isn't a cloud service and it isn't remotely required in 4.9

You can continue using your regular content library in the same place as it was before - all you need to do is go into the content manager (edit preferences content manager button for directory manger) and tell Daz where your installed content is (and it can be placed anywhere on any drive you want it to.) Then you can go on with everything exactly as before.

The new Daz Connect content will automatically go into the topmost of the folders you nominate in the content manager (this needs to be clearer, Daz.) but if you have a product installed (that Daz knows about via having the directory chosen as above) then connect wont bug you to download it again.

My database is all setup correctly in Database manager, the same as in 4.8 but it still shows greyed out icons and if I click on one it says I need to download it.

Well, the good news is this is beta and finding bugs is what it is supposed to do. Perhaps when it is rolled out after the PAs test the improved version, then it really will be ready for us. 

• ImagoImago Posts: 5,069

I don't get why all the people here is so scared by DRM and the Smart Content...

I think everyone could learn to use the Smart Content tab (my workflow skyrocketed since I started using it!) and the DRM is the only way to protect the PAs from piracy.

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

Thanks Ghostly12, that almost worked for me.  I still have a LOT of greyed out icons, and many of those don't have the little 'cloud' icon on them either. 

It's also extremely interesting to see just how many DAZ products do NOT have pictures for the icons. And some of them have the name below them and a LOT don't. 

And of course, products from stores other than DAZ don't show at all. 

If Smart Content stays like this, it simply WON'T be able to replace my own method of organization. 

ghosty12 said:
    Wilmap said:

Well, you're doing better than me Wilmap. If I dbl click on a greyed out icon, it doens't install, it doesn't tell me it needs to install, it doesn't do anything at all actually. :) 

Wilmap said:
    lx said:
    Novica said:
    Wilmap said:

My database is all setup correctly in Database manager, the same as in 4.8 but it still shows greyed out icons and if I click on one it says I need to download it.

@ Jakiblue

Just go on your Library and categorize them! If they don't have metadatas, just add them by yourself!
    I have products form Renderosity, RuntimeDNA and other stores in my Smart Content tab, everyone Context sensitive!

• Imago said:

I don't get why all the people here is so scared by DRM and the Smart Content...

I think everyone could learn to use the Smart Content tab (my workflow skyrocketed since I started using it!) and the DRM is the only way to protect the PAs from piracy.

More than a third of my DAZ purchased items do not show up in Smart Content because they have no metadata.

Of the remainders most of my DAZ content shows up in "Lost and Found" which is just a big directory of uncategorized stuff.

So until the metadata is fixed and complete, Smart Content is useless to me.

but that's what i'm saying....i can categorize something, but they DON'T show in smart content.  

Imago said:

@ Jakiblue

Just go on your Library and categorize them! If they don't have metadatas, just add them by yourself!
    I have products form Renderosity, RuntimeDNA and other stores in my Smart Content tab, everyone Context sensitive!

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 2,015
    edited October 2015
    jakiblue said:

Thanks Ghostly12, that almost worked for me.  I still have a LOT of greyed out icons, and many of those don't have the little 'cloud' icon on them either. 

It's also extremely interesting to see just how many DAZ products do NOT have pictures for the icons. And some of them have the name below them and a LOT don't. 

And of course, products from stores other than DAZ don't show at all. 

If Smart Content stays like this, it simply WON'T be able to replace my own method of organization. 

ghosty12 said:
    Wilmap said:

Yeah I still have some greyed out icons not sure why, case of who knows but I did find the rest of my files though.. As it seems that for whatever reason AoA's light presets are not seen as a product per se so dont show up under the Product Tab. They instead show up under the Files Tab and pretty much everything else that does not come under the Products Tab.

jakiblue said:

but that's what i'm saying....i can categorize something, but they DON'T show in smart content.  

Look under the Files Tab you might find them hiding in there is where I found content that did not show up under the Products Tab (well most of it)..

Post edited by Ghosty12 on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,583

From the first post  http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/64736/daz-studio-pro-beta-version-4-9-0-21/p1

Importing non-User Data from DSX files does NOT function correctly in the 4.9.0.21 build and is, therefore, NOT recommended—this is fixed in a subsequent build.

• A workaround is to reimport metadata within Daz Studio 4.8 or Daz Install Manager.
    • Importing User Data that has been previously exported to DSX file(s) DOES function correctly in 4.9.0.21.
  • glaseyeglaseye Posts: 1,311
    RCTSpanky said:

Yes to all of the above.

You can install and use 4.9beta next to an 4.8 install, but nowhere did I read that you can have 4.8 and 4.9 installed together. If the 'full' product install is the same as before, then 4.9 will replace 4.8

• DkgooseDkgoose Posts: 1,451

Thanks for the reply, I'll have to buy another external drive then, I tried doing that a long time ago but got so much lag it took forever for things to load so I gave up on that, but my computer and laptop weren't the best, my laptop how I don't think could handle studio but if it's enough to install and update stuff then ill definitely try that out

dkgoose said:

So question, can I have my content installed to an external hard drive so I can install daz studio on my desktop and laptop, so when I leave I can take my laptop and drive so I can connect to the internet I realize that will make for a slower and worse workflow but my desktop doesn't go online with no internet service

I do that myself. I told the file manager to install only on the external drive (by deleting all of the defaults and adding the one place of my own), and that will work every time, inculding DC installs.  You can have DIM do the same thing. I install the software to a Tools directory on a secondary internal drive, and content to a drive I can move between machines as necessary.

This does work with 4.9. This has been tested and not found wanting. You still get your .zips, you can move between machines without difficulty, and with minimal knowledge of networking you can tell DAZ to hook into a content directory that's on an entirely different machine. I do move files, usually to group folders from a single generation to a single location(Generation 3, Genesis 3, etc)and nothing else changes unless things get completely out of hand. Having to hunt Stonemason in Props rather than Environments is a bit naff, but I'm over it now.

The only issue I'm havign right this minute is Iray despising my video card, which is admittedly a two year old Mobile card with 3GB on it.

On the flip side, I can now use scenery that made 4.8's Iray giggle manaically while stabbing both me and Studio in the backside.

• Novica said:
    Novica said:
    Novica said:
    That is kind of entertaining. Did you move any of the .duf files around at all?

Nope. I have so many products, I use the Dim "i", click on it, get the ReadMe ultra fast, and know exactly where things are. What is frustrating, the files were all there the first time I loaded 4.9 last night. Remember, I was singing its praises? Not any more!

Did you try to reimport your metadata? Doing that with the actual product metadata (not the user data) is broken in this build, fixed in a later build, so if you did that would account for your issue.

• Wilmap said:

Was the greyed out stuff still in its default location and showing in the smart content and product lists in 4.8?

Yes Richard. Everything was working fine in 4.8.

jakiblue said:

Imago said:

@ Jakiblue

You can make it appear in the Smart content:

Go to your Content Library tab and select the product you want  then from options select Content DB editor.

In the new window select the product and in "type" select what it is, if actor, scene or anything else.

Aftr this go to the compatibility tab and select wich figure is associated to it, like Genesis, Genesis 2 and others. It's not mandatory, you can disable the context from the Smart Content unticking the option under the window.

Now you can categorize it and finally see it in the Smart tab.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,609

Imago said:

Because I never use smart content. I categorize my content my own way, and prefer it that way.  There is no one way that will protect PA's or the store from piracy, sadly. And people don't like it because it hobbles their purchased content.

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,127

I don't want to trivialize anyones concerns, but there is a difference between DRM and encryption, and its not a small one.

Our banks uses encryption, not unlike the way Daz wants to use it, to protect our content.In the case of the bank that content is our money.

Our banks do not use DRM, they use encryption.DRM would do very little to protect our bank accounts.

• bad4ubad4u Posts: 684
    edited October 2015

I for myself will not pay for any content that relies on durable availability of DRM servers, which eventually could prevent me from accessing what I paid for in future. Not for movies, not for music, not for ebooks and not for 3D content. As simple as true.

It's already a pain when it comes to re-installing software with DRM protection, e.g. install Delphi to a new PC or clean OS after exceeding the 3 or so initial installations, so I need to contact Embarcadero and ask for additional installations - didn't read about that before buying, and made me not upgrading to a new version later. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. Oh yes, and they just got bought out by Idera, so future will tell how long previous software versions still get this kind of support - if at all. For content DRM is even more a NO-GO.

2008 Sony turned down DRM servers for their Connect Music Service, music files could no longer be transferred to other devices and users lost access to their music when changing their PC configuration. The same year Microsoft turned down DRM servers for MSN Music, music files could no longer bla bla bla.. Wal-Mart didn't do better, their DRM servers have been shut down the very same year, with similar results. There are many more examples for negative impacts of DRM through the next years, not only for music or movies, but games as well - when Ubisoft or EA DRM servers have been temporary down you couldn't install or play what you paid for. But users are naive and forget quickly when it comes to new shiny toys.

Glad to see DAZ guys at least think about the DRM problems before anything happens. As a non-US citizen I personally wouldn't give a nickle on any non-technical, policy only driven solution to that problem.

So if you want to install a DRM that is more fair to honest users, why not using a time limited system ?

Fully decrypt (automatically or with the click of a button) all files say 6 or maybe 12 month after their initial release date and so give users a better feeling not being eventually locked out in future from what they paid for in past. Just turn the files into fully unencrypted files again. Should be easy to integrate into DS or do it on server side (just like any update), you already have the keys. And anything that has not been cracked within 6 or 12 months after release most probably isn't of interest to pirates anymore, as they are usually going to spread the newest, shiniest thingies.. I'd guess the biggest sale numbers for a new item fall into that timeframe also. And even people who don't like to buy into DRM content at all, could at least wait and buy later, when items are gonna be delivered without DRM again.

Just my 2 cents - add them to the thousands of dollars that you already got from me.

Post edited by bad4u on
  • icecrmn said:

I don't want to trivialize anyones concerns, but there is a difference between DRM and encryption, and its not a small one.

Our banks uses encryption, not unlike the way Daz wants to use it, to protect our content.In the case of the bank that content is our money.

Our banks do not use DRM, they use encryption.DRM would do very little to protect our bank accounts.

It's being called DRM because the encryption is against the account and requires that the machine have a machine- and account-specific key file to unencrypt.

• bad4ubad4u Posts: 684
    edited October 2015
    icecrmn said:

Here encryption is one of the tools used to install a DRM.

Post edited by bad4u on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,970

You know, there is something to be said to have an automatic system in which products are encrypted for a given period of time (say, 6 months from initial release), and then encryption is removed -- generally most sales are within a short period of time of release. Lowering protection after that period seems to strike a balance between security for vendors and security in long-term use of products.

This discussion has been closed.