Daz Studio 4.9 Beta Now Available..

Comments

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715

L'Adair: The nice thing about such a system is that it would automatically protect everyone from Daz going out of business, assuming it was automatic. If every product unlocked after 6 months (say), well, Daz goes out of business and within 6 months all the products unlock.

I can't see it being doable; if it uses system clock, well that is easy to alter, even the BIOS clock is almost as quick to do.

Alternatively, if it requires to 'phone' some internet clock, then there is still the trouble with a specific site going 'out-of-business' or changing it's name in some way; plus as IPv6 get's rolled out, there is the issue of making it all IPv6 now or both IPv4 and 6; networks that don't yet accomodate IPv6 would need specific tools that would certainly add complexity; perhaps dealing with tunnelling. Anyway, I can see that being tremendous (crying) fun to code reliable.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,970
    edited October 2015

It seems at least as reliable as what is being proposed, is the thing -- yes, it can be bypassed, but so can whatever else they are doing.

Although if someone knowledgeable with the actual code says 'no, it's much harder/easier to break,' then nevermind. ;)

Post edited by Oso3D on
  • I've been following this thread and trying to absorb it all. I haven't downloaded the beta and will probably wait to do so for a while. My question is (forgive now if it has been asked and answered already) what happens to users who don't ever move over to 4.9 or newer releases as they come out? Can they still purchase new items and use them in say version 4.8 (if the actual items are compatible with that Daz version) or will they be out of luck because of the DRM thing and need/be forced to update to the latest release of Daz? 

I've been following this thread and trying to absorb it all. I haven't downloaded the beta and will probably wait to do so for a while. My question is (forgive now if it has been asked and answered already) what happens to users who don't ever move over to 4.9 or newer releases as they come out? Can they still purchase new items and use them in say version 4.8 (if the actual items are compatible with that Daz version) or will they be out of luck because of the DRM thing and need/be forced to update to the latest release of Daz? 

If they are available yes; if they are specific to 4.9 or higher, then no.

There was a post about it being always possible, DAZ_ someone had said it would be always possible but no idea now where that post is, like you say there is a lot to look through and two threads. So hopefully someone will respond with a definitive answer, presuming one is known.

• ToborTobor Posts: 2,300
    In order for things like auto-updates to work DS needs to know where files are, and in order for DS to know where files are reliably they need to be treated as unmovable.

Why? Many programs contain their own file explorers. The interface is not difficult. D|S could implement such a file explorer that is connected to its databases. When a user-facing file is moved, the database keeps track of where it's moved.

The files are only "unmovable" outside this file explorer. If someone choses to use their OS to move files, the DB will be broken. That's their choice, but everyone else can enjoy a flexibile application-based filekeeping system for their content. The fact that some people run red lights doesn't mean you might as well remove all the traffic signals.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,609

How will encryption work on content like photoshop brushes, layers and styles? Will those be encryption free.

• grinch2901grinch2901 Posts: 1,246

I've read everything and it seems pretty much that PAs like the idea of DRM and everyone else hates/fears it.  But what I cannot see is a reason we shouldn't just stick with 4.8 forever or migrate to 4.9 but buy all content at another site. There are alternatives.  So what, other than this universally disliked DRM scheme is there in 4.9 to excite any of us?  I've heard of one bug fix in Iray and apprant 3Delight performance improvements. I (and many others) don't use 3Delight anymore so is there anything in here other than a handful of bug fixes that we Iray users should care about?  Is Iray faster now? Are there benchmarks?  I saw one post implying it was but the results were washed out. Another saying that SSS is different and all our surfaces need to be tweaked if we used SSS.

So far all I'm seeing is leaving me feelng "meh" about this release.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

But is Gimp trying to find which brush is where, or just notice that there are new brushes? A scan on launch to keep track of moved files would be trying to spot which file had moved where, which would require a way to identify them (probably a huge database of signatures of some kind) and would still almost certainly be broken if users edited the files.

Both...what's where and new, which is why it's so glacially slow.

• bad4ubad4u Posts: 684
    edited October 2015
    maclean said:

... Put a 6-month moratorium on the encryption, and the less-gifted pirates (ie. the ones who can't hack the files immediately), will simply put them up on warez sites after 6 months.

Just not true. Your 'less-gifted pirate' then would steal from another illegal site, but never would he wait for 6 months until uploading stuff. Pirating content nowadays is no more that kind of 'sport' with some weird code of honor it was 15 years or so ago, more often it's business with lot of money involved. The guy who gets the content (movie or whatever) is not the one who cracks it, is usually not the one who uploads it, is usually not the one who runs the site..

But you will always find points against the one or the other if you want to. Still it stands, there is NO way to durably lock the pirates out of sharing content and DRM only punishes honest customers - they always have been the fooled ones when things went wrong or changed in future.

Not to forget - there are two more things that I haven't read about so far: Switching to DRM content might as well have an essential impact on turning NEW 3D users into paying customers in an already limited market, but maybe they need to find out the hard way. And as long as only DS files are encrypted (and not Poser files), the DRM only makes 'sense' for DS only products.

Whatever, I made my point that I will never invest into DRM content, no matter if that means buying no more DAZ content some day. I already have more content than I could use in a lifetime and DRM would save me a lot of money here. And I suggested a possible solution that tries to honor and protect honest customers too and might or might not work for Daz and artists. I didn't want to start a new discussion, so I'm outta here.

Post edited by bad4u on
  • bad4ubad4u Posts: 684

Btw. actually I could imagine only one situation where DRM content really makes sense - if you plan installing a subscription model for content, e.g. pay that $ each month and use all Daz Originals (back catalog & new releases), add more $ for any participating artist catalog. Cancelling subscription will stop access to the content. Make different prices for hobbyists and commercial users and that might work even for people on a budget.

Bye.

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,127
    bad4u said:

Btw. actually I could imagine only one situation where DRM content really makes sense - if you plan installing a subscription model for content, e.g. pay that $ each month and use all Daz Originals (back catalog & new releases), add more $ for any participating artist catalog. Cancelling subscription will stop access to the content. Make different prices for hobbyists and commercial users and that might work even for people on a budget.

Bye.

You mean I could rent all that content for $20 a month instead of spending $400-$600 per month buying it? How is that a bad deal?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,583

How will encryption work on content like photoshop brushes, layers and styles? Will those be encryption free.

They will not be encrypted (and won't even be available using Daz Connect, as they don't work in DS).  Only .duf and .dsf files are encrypted.

icecrmn said:
    bad4u said:

Bye.

You mean I could rent all that content for $20 a month instead of spending $400-$600 per month buying it? How is that a bad deal?

Stop paying: stop having access? Isn't that how subscription models work? I've no idea as I tend to avoid them when it comes to software; I prefer to own, or use open source.

• Jan19Jan19 Posts: 1,109
    edited October 2015

I'm still worried about being able to connect to DAZ Connect. sad​  If the DIM won't connect for me, I'm worried the DAZ Connect thing won't either.  I guess this'll go over like a lead balloon, but what about dongles?  Yes, we have to wait a few days to get the dratted thing, and yes, they are aggravating.  But content could be made exclusively for 4.9 then you guys could require a dongle to run 4.9.  Wouldn't that curb piracy?  Or at least make something like that available for those of us whose internet connections seem balky.  I need a new dongle anyway.  

Post edited by Jan19 on
    nicstt said:
    icecrmn said:
    bad4u said:

Bye.

Stop paying: stop having access? Isn't that how subscription models work? I've no idea as I tend to avoid them when it comes to software; I prefer to own, or use open source.

What I'm getting at is, I spend more now than what a subscription for content access would be,,also, I'm an opensource fan myself.I prefer Gentoo over Ubuntu, but that just a personal choice.Source based distros aren't for eveyone.

Jan19 said:

I'm still worried about being able to connect to DAZ Connect. sad​  If the DIM won't connect for me, I'm worried the DAZ Connect thing won't either.  I guess this'll go over like a lead balloon, but what about dongles?  Yes, we have to wait a few days to get the dratted thing, and yes, they are aggravating.  But content could be made exclusively for 4.9 then you guys could require a dongle to run 4.9.  Wouldn't that curb piracy?  Or at least make something like that available for those of us whose internet connections seem balky.  I need a new dongle anyway.  

This new system is no more difficult to use than an email account, you quite litteraly just login and that's it

If you can't login to your account using DIM then you have something mis-configured, or there is a network problem between your DIM and the login server. You managed to get logged in to the forums, so you have network access.We just need to find out why DIM can't connect. :) 

so I would first I would check the basics,,,

Make sure you are putting in the username and password correctly.

Make sure none of your firewalls or other security software are blocking it.

if you still can't login then we would need to start digging in a bit deeper, though I would think that if this was a widespread issue we woiuld see more posts about it.

• Jan19 said:

If you can connect one, briefly, you will be able to register your account on that machine. There will then, before the end of the beta, be a way to download content on another machine (e.g. at the library) and transfer it to the working machine without needing to be online (as your presumably do now - and by the way, you can currently drop the zips downloaded from the Product Library into the DIM Downloads folder and install with DIM if you want). You don't need to connect once the machine is registered, so future connection problems will not interfere with your work.

• Can we not speculate about subscription services, please? Theer's nothing of the kind on the table and we have quite enough hot buttons as it is without adding hypotheticals.

Can we not speculate about subscription services, please? Theer's nothing of the kind on the table and we have quite enough hot buttons as it is without adding hypotheticals.

And if you are in favor of such a scheme, write it up and submit it to CS as a suggestion/feature request...but wait a few weeks until things calm down some.

Were we able to 'categorize' with smart content before? If so, I wasn't aware of it. So if nothing else, that's been a big plus -- grabbing lots of stuff and putting them where I want.

• mjc1016 said:

Can we not speculate about subscription services, please? Theer's nothing of the kind on the table and we have quite enough hot buttons as it is without adding hypotheticals.

And if you are in favor of such a scheme, write it up and submit it to CS as a suggestion/feature request...but wait a few weeks until things calm down some.

Only if you want Richard chasing you with an extremely sharp axe.

• Were we able to 'categorize' with smart content before? If so, I wasn't aware of it. So if nothing else, that's been a big plus -- grabbing lots of stuff and putting them where I want.

Drag-and-drop was in 4.8, I think, or even 4.7.

mjc1016 said:

Only if you want Richard chasing you with an extremely sharp axe.

hmm,,well now that I think about it a bit more, that really doesn't sound like such a great deal anymore. :)

mjc1016 said:

Only if you want Richard chasing you with an extremely sharp axe

But wouldn't that be where to take it...if someone does want a subscription scheme...as a future feature request, instead of speculating on it in the forums?wink

• Jan19Jan19 Posts: 1,109

Icecrmn, I think it's a problem with my machine. :-)  I posted a note in the Tech forum, so we'll see what happens.

Thanks, Richard, for the tip about drag/drop into DIM offline!

• Were we able to 'categorize' with smart content before? If so, I wasn't aware of it. So if nothing else, that's been a big plus -- grabbing lots of stuff and putting them where I want.

Drag-and-drop was in 4.8, I think, or even 4.7.

*sigh* Ya' know you folks really need to find a better way to highlight that kind of stuff.  I imagine it was in the release notes somewhere in much smaller print than Iray.

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

By not having the $20 each month to access your content and do stuff?  

icecrmn said:
    bad4u said:

Bye.

• MorpheonMorpheon Posts: 738
    edited November 2015

Can we not speculate about subscription services, please? Theer's nothing of the kind on the table and we have quite enough hot buttons as it is without adding hypotheticals

DAZ implementing DRM was hypothetical last week, and now it's here, which means that it's been in the works for a while and nothing was said until DAZ was ready to go live with it. And if we'd been having a conversation last week about this very possiblity, you'd likely have said the same thing about  "nothing of the kind on the table" and about not speculating on hypotheticals.

Or is that too hypothetical?

Post edited by Morpheon on
    edited November 2015

wrong thread,,sorry

Post edited by IceCrMn on
    I was excited until I couldn't get it to work. Ah well.
  • I am still not on board with this DRM after the fact scheme...

I made my purchases as one condition. I am not sure that changing that condition later is valid. Unless you allow 4.8 to remain available, instead of phasing it out when 4.9 goes live.

This discussion has been closed.