Daz Studio 4.9 Beta Now Available..

Comments

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882

A thought just occured to me.

So far, the primary things that have failed on selling me on Smart Content and Categories are 1) I find the default categories a half step away from useless (they just don't match up with the way I think), and 2) it's a slow, annoying pain to organize stuff and add metadata.  This is primarily why my reaction to "Why do it this old way" is "Because I like the old way"  Switching to the new way is intrusive, and in some cases counter intuitive.

So if you really want to convince me that switching to Smart content, make creating Metadata and organizing by category easier and faster.  And here's a tip - Some people actually work significantly faster with a keyboard than they do with a mouse.  Even artist types.

• Spit said:
    DAZ_Rawb said:

Please Clarify!  Will there be full product packages available for download?!  Like the current DIM Zip files?!

That is correct, there will be full product packages available for download.

For how long?

And this is the key question that's been asked for days and has gotten no definitive answer. My gut is saying for the first time ever "Daz Soon" will happen sooner than ever before. The one time lots of us are hoping "Daz Soon" never comes.

• Spit said:
    DAZ_Rawb said:

Please Clarify!  Will there be full product packages available for download?!  Like the current DIM Zip files?!

For how long?

And this is the key question that's been asked for days and has gotten no definitive answer. My gut is saying for the first time ever "Daz Soon" will happen sooner than ever before. The one time lots of us are hoping "Daz Soon" never comes.

I don't think so.  The one thing management doesn't want to do is disrupt its revenue stream, and there is an excellent chance doing away with DM  quickly will do that.  Like it or not there are some people that will just not deal with DRM, there is going to have to be a period of time where they are going to have to weigh that impact.  That and the issue with people using file structure to organize content who will refuse to use connect for that reason which as nothing to do with DRM.  I do not believe it is going to be a quick (or easy) transition.

• DAZ_RawbDAZ_Rawb Posts: 817
    Spit said:
    DAZ_Rawb said:

For how long?

I didn't answer this time because I have answered it many times in the past, but this thread is heavy with speculation and accusation so I understand if it was missed.

Anything that you have already purchased will continue to be available indefinitely as unencrypted zip's. DIM will likely be around for years to come, it does require server resources to keep running so if it's usage levels drop to infinitesimal levels we may take those servers offline.To let you know how soon that may be, we would need to update Bryce, Carrara and Hexagon before we can take DIM offline.

• DAZ_RawbDAZ_Rawb Posts: 817

Also we had a meeting and came up with a plan on being able to organize using files for Daz Connect. I am not going to share more about the implementation but we now have a definite plan that will allow Daz Connect installed content to be sorted around on the filesystem.

I can't guarantee that this will be in the release, or if it will come in a patch-release soon after the inital release but it is in the works.

• DAZ_Rawb said:

Also we had a meeting and came up with a plan on being able to organize using files for Daz Connect. I am not going to share more about the implementation but we now have a definite plan that will allow Daz Connect installed content to be sorted around on the filesystem.

I can't guarantee that this will be in the release, or if it will come in a patch-release soon after the inital release but it is in the works.

That's good news, thank you all.

• ToborTobor Posts: 2,300
    DAZ_Rawb said:

Excellent. As Richard says, good news.

• So far, the primary things that have failed on selling me on Smart Content and Categories are 1) I find the default categories a half step away from useless (they just don't match up with the way I think),

That's pretty much the same as my situation. I know, I can create customised categories and juggle them to my heart's content, so I can match my current (working perfectly well, as it has since long before D|S4 came out, thankyewverymuch) entirely manual system, but there's one big showstopper standing in the way of my trying it out.

I've tried following the screenshots and tutorials posted here over the last few years. They just don't make enough sense to me — I don't think that way. I've just never seen anything as clean and efficient and easily understood as the plain vertical tree view for the Content Library tab introduced in the very first D|S version. I see folder hierarchies stretching off into the distance to left and right in a wide tab layout, or an overly vague Smart Content view, and I have no idea where I am and what I should be looking for, compared to my narrow content tab and perfectly clear folder hierarchy.

As long as that stays firmly in D|S's layout and content options, I'll be happy to keep updating to pick up all the newest shinies. But no longer than that.

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    Jan19 said:
    Spit said:
    DAZ_Jon said:

My biggest concern is access to my products, and backing said products up.  I maintain the Install Manager download directory on a seperate, portable drive in case I have to re-install DAZ Studio and/or DIM.  Doing this means I don't have to spend hours re-downloading products.  As is, I installed 4.9 Beta more than two hours ago, and I've only finished installing Genesis and Genesis 3 from the cloud.  I've still got 1128 items to go, and DS is sitting at 2%.

So, is the plan then to eliminate the Install Manager?

Install Manager will be around for a long while yet as we have products outside of Daz Studio. The goal is to eventually make it so Studio doesn't need a third party application to manage its own content, so the need for Install Manager to get Studio content and plugins and updates will be gone as Install Manager, while a huge improvement over no Install Manager, is still a clunky way to do it.

There is a feature planned, not sure if it will make it into this release or next, that will "convert" an Install Manager installed product to Daz Connect installed (so it won't need to redownload, will just do the things it needs to to make it so it can be updated and managed automatically by Studio) which would help minimize the need to redownload files.

You can still backup your content you download though and restore your install from that downloaded content (including the meta data). In the mapped folder where your Studio is installing your content, you can back that up and restore from it and it will have all the meta data with it so it can recreate what you would get if you downloaded it fresh.

This is much earlier in the thread, but I'm compelled to respond. The worry for me is never any specific Studio update, but it's where it's all leading and I'm pretty, no make that very, sure I don't like where we're being taken. Right now we have flexibility. One can use Smart Content and fight with Categories, use the Content Library either as is as a supplement to Smart Content or rearranged to one's liking, use DIM or not. Heck, I've actually found it more convenient sometimes to drag and drop into scenes from Explorer.

It doesn't matter that for this build and perhaps a few more we can simply ignore Connect because you're going to remove our flexibility and rid us of that 'clunky' program called DIM that I consider an absolutely brilliant piece of very useful coding. Eventually we'll be stuck with only Connect.

That's it, right? The Cloud (da Plane! da Plane!). What should come next, though, MIGHT be something I'd go along with: filling your scene directly from da Cloud--no installation necessary. Oh the bandwidth, right? But only if I can browse through my licensed content instead of relying on categories and keywords. I really hate that. But that will never happen so forget it. 'Cloud' is now a swear word to me.

We're artists and more like cats than sheep. I like browsing content for inspiration. Sometimes I may look for something specific but usually I toodle through folders looking for that something that will talk to me in this specific scene and I haven't a clue what it will be until I stumble across it. You are in the process of removing that ability completely! .I can do trite like anyone else, but you're making it so much easier by forcing us to be keyword dependent. Not good.

It started with DIM and I sensed the direction but I really love that program. Now you're phasing out updates and heading towards its elimination.

Categories, keywords, metadata. Isn't it odd that a content company spends so much time on database work.

I thought I was the only one who stumbled on surprise/perfect for the scene content, while I was looking for something entirely different! :-)   Just kidding.

It would be interesting to be a fly on the wall, in the corporate office.  As long as there was no fly swat nearby.

It's a BIG HUGE fly swatter. Be afraid :)

I'm NOT installing the Beta. I may boycott the release version if it gets that far.

I am still not on board with this DRM after the fact scheme...

I made my purchases as one condition. I am not sure that changing that condition later is valid. Unless you allow 4.8 to remain available, instead of phasing it out when 4.9 goes live.

There is no DRM after the fact.  All content currently available will remain available in unencrypted DIM and zip form, and DS4.9 will continue to be able to work with this content.

At what point does new content switch in format? The release version of 4.9? or ?  I assume after that point old (current) content can be downloaded and installed with DIM but any new content will require 4.9+ and Connect (and by extension we must use Smart Content--pfeh).

Quite frankly I want to know how long I have left to purchase stuff from DAZ.

• Spit said:
    Jan19 said:
    Spit said:
    DAZ_Jon said:

My biggest concern is access to my products, and backing said products up.  I maintain the Install Manager download directory on a seperate, portable drive in case I have to re-install DAZ Studio and/or DIM.  Doing this means I don't have to spend hours re-downloading products.  As is, I installed 4.9 Beta more than two hours ago, and I've only finished installing Genesis and Genesis 3 from the cloud.  I've still got 1128 items to go, and DS is sitting at 2%.

Install Manager will be around for a long while yet as we have products outside of Daz Studio. The goal is to eventually make it so Studio doesn't need a third party application to manage its own content, so the need for Install Manager to get Studio content and plugins and updates will be gone as Install Manager, while a huge improvement over no Install Manager, is still a clunky way to do it.

There is a feature planned, not sure if it will make it into this release or next, that will "convert" an Install Manager installed product to Daz Connect installed (so it won't need to redownload, will just do the things it needs to to make it so it can be updated and managed automatically by Studio) which would help minimize the need to redownload files.

You can still backup your content you download though and restore your install from that downloaded content (including the meta data). In the mapped folder where your Studio is installing your content, you can back that up and restore from it and it will have all the meta data with it so it can recreate what you would get if you downloaded it fresh.

This is much earlier in the thread, but I'm compelled to respond. The worry for me is never any specific Studio update, but it's where it's all leading and I'm pretty, no make that very, sure I don't like where we're being taken. Right now we have flexibility. One can use Smart Content and fight with Categories, use the Content Library either as is as a supplement to Smart Content or rearranged to one's liking, use DIM or not. Heck, I've actually found it more convenient sometimes to drag and drop into scenes from Explorer.

It doesn't matter that for this build and perhaps a few more we can simply ignore Connect because you're going to remove our flexibility and rid us of that 'clunky' program called DIM that I consider an absolutely brilliant piece of very useful coding. Eventually we'll be stuck with only Connect.

That's it, right? The Cloud (da Plane! da Plane!). What should come next, though, MIGHT be something I'd go along with: filling your scene directly from da Cloud--no installation necessary. Oh the bandwidth, right? But only if I can browse through my licensed content instead of relying on categories and keywords. I really hate that. But that will never happen so forget it. 'Cloud' is now a swear word to me.

We're artists and more like cats than sheep. I like browsing content for inspiration. Sometimes I may look for something specific but usually I toodle through folders looking for that something that will talk to me in this specific scene and I haven't a clue what it will be until I stumble across it. You are in the process of removing that ability completely! .I can do trite like anyone else, but you're making it so much easier by forcing us to be keyword dependent. Not good.

It started with DIM and I sensed the direction but I really love that program. Now you're phasing out updates and heading towards its elimination.

Categories, keywords, metadata. Isn't it odd that a content company spends so much time on database work.

I thought I was the only one who stumbled on surprise/perfect for the scene content, while I was looking for something entirely different! :-)   Just kidding.

It would be interesting to be a fly on the wall, in the corporate office.  As long as there was no fly swat nearby.

I'm NOT installing the Beta. I may boycott the release version if it gets that far.

I made my purchases as one condition. I am not sure that changing that condition later is valid. Unless you allow 4.8 to remain available, instead of phasing it out when 4.9 goes live.

There is no DRM after the fact.  All content currently available will remain available in unencrypted DIM and zip form, and DS4.9 will continue to be able to work with this content.

At what point does new content switch in format? The release version of 4.9? or ?  I assume after that point old (current) content can be downloaded and installed with DIM but any new content will require 4.9+ and Connect (and by extension we must use Smart Content--pfeh).

We have been told that there are no current plans to release content in Connect-only format.

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,677
    Spit said:
    Jan19 said:
    Spit said:
    DAZ_Jon said:
    We have been told that there are no current plans to release content in Connect-only format.

That's a relief to hear. 

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,677
    edited November 2015

That's a relief to hear.

On a side note, this quote system is kind of a pain to work with lol.

Ugh, sorry for double post, meant to edite the previous one.

Post edited by TheKD on
    edited November 2015
    Tobor said:
    In order for things like auto-updates to work DS needs to know where files are, and in order for DS to know where files are reliably they need to be treated as unmovable.

Why? Many programs contain their own file explorers. The interface is not difficult. D|S could implement such a file explorer that is connected to its databases. When a user-facing file is moved, the database keeps track of where it's moved.

The files are only "unmovable" outside this file explorer. If someone choses to use their OS to move files, the DB will be broken. That's their choice, but everyone else can enjoy a flexibile application-based filekeeping system for their content. The fact that some people run red lights doesn't mean you might as well remove all the traffic signals.

Auto-update means even more restrictions on the user. DIM handles updates fine. And there have been times when I've moved files on purpose.

ex. I have two folders for Michael 4. When DIM came out I used it to install everything M4 into DIM-M4. Then I sorted it all the way I wanted (along with stuff from elsewhere) into Michael 4 and deleted from DIM-M4. I purchased a couple old M4 things and installed them there then moved them. Guess what there was actually an update to something M4 and DIM hunted through all its known runtimes but I had pulled the plug on the external. Update installed into DIM-M4 and I just hand installed it to Michael 4 overwriting the old files and noting any discrepancy.

Same with the Kids4 and Vicky4.

As for metadata why have it cluttering the database if it's useless and you don't use Smart Content anyway (I leave the Genesis stuff alone though heaven knows the main folders need it)?

So deleting the Support folders in the 'install' runtimes, resetting the db and re-importing is convenient for that.

Post edited by Spit on
  • DAZ_Rawb said:

Thank you Rawb! That's really good news. :)

edited November 2015

Oh, just one more thing about the smarts of DIM. If you right-click on an installed file and select 'show installed files' but have moved its runtime or any of the files they are listed dimmed and italic. So you can tell at a glance if you want to do anything about it.

The developers are really really good but I read pages back (can't find it now) that they think it's kind of stupid for a user to want to move files. I suppose Smart Content and hunting for specifics is the only way they can conceive of working in Studio. I say stick to programming. I was a system designer back in the old days and I learned quickly that how I thought the user approached his/her task was not how they did or even wanted to do.

Post edited by Spit on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,874

It's good to hear (again) that the team is taking the posts seriously and listening to the input. It is appreciated.

Spit said:
    Jan19 said:
    Spit said:
    DAZ_Jon said:

That's reassuring (for now). But 'current' is a nice wiggle word.

• DAZ_Rawb said:
    Spit said:
    DAZ_Rawb said:

For how long?

I didn't answer this time because I have answered it many times in the past, but this thread is heavy with speculation and accusation so I understand if it was missed.

Anything that you have already purchased will continue to be available indefinitely as unencrypted zip's. DIM will likely be around for years to come, it does require server resources to keep running so if it's usage levels drop to infinitesimal levels we may take those servers offline.To let you know how soon that may be, we would need to update Bryce, Carrara and Hexagon before we can take DIM offline.

I actually thought we were talking about new DS DazConnect only files. And the answer to that has been basically nothing even in que right now. Hence my comment. LOL

Sorry if I mistook the original question. blush

• Jan19Jan19 Posts: 1,109

Oh, my wild imagination is already seriously and thoroughly petrified. laugh

Thank you!

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,186
    Spit said:
    Jan19 said:
    Spit said:
    DAZ_Jon said:

You said this in the other thread, too.  And I responded as well.  I distinctly remember either DAZ_Jon or DAZ_Rawb saying that at some point the switch would be made, that new products would be released in Connect format only.

Dana

• evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,464

I'm just going to break from the pack and say: hell yes.

Not that its without bugs, but... this is what Smart Content was lacking... the breakdown, being able to see all the pieces of the product in one damn place not having to switch and switch and switch to find all the pieces of the product: set, lights, cameras, poses... now just grab the product and have it all there.

I'm sold. Thank you, now work out the bugs, please.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,583

For those who want to get a feel for how much effort it will take to set up Categories to replicate a file-and-folder-on-disk system you're comfortable with, try this.

Start up DS 4.8 (not the beta).  In Content Library, go to one of your custom content folders, e.g. Content Library > Poser Formats > My Freebie Library.  Right-click on "My Freebie Library" and choose "Create a Category From" > "This Folder and Subfolders".  In the Dialog box that opens, highlight "Categories" and click Accept.

Start with a smaller content folder -- for me it took a few seconds for a 1GB Runtime folder, and 4 minutes for my entire DIM-installed Daz Library.

Go to Categories, and you now have that customized file-and-folder arrangement replicated as a Category.

• CathyMCathyM Posts: 261

I have a question from the point of view of someone who has created her own folder system where I have put files where I want them and have renamed alot of them - Will DS 4.9 work for me or will I need to uninstall/reinstall over 6000 items?  If I do have to uninstall/reinstall to go with this new content thing, will all my files then become encrypted (as in - would I need to re-download them all and at that point they would be encrypted)?

Or, will DS 4.9 work with my file system as it is? I am very concerned about this whole thing, I haven't ever had smart content work for me.  If I stay with 4.8 I won't get the bug fixes and upgrades to the program itself so I guess I will need to upgrade - but will I be able to, without a great deal of trouble?  Thanks for any advice or assurances - Cathy

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I won't do a montly fee for any of this kind of stuff.  I will be using the copy of of photoshop that I have for the rest of my life because I just won't pay a monthly fee.  Right now, if I want to purchase something and i have the funds I do.  If idon't have the funds then I don't.  But if I don't have the funds to pay the monthly fee, then I can't access my content.  And, if you multiply that $20 bucks a month for 20 years, that's a lot of content you could purchase. Same with games. I want a hard copy or I want a download to my machine.  Call me old fashioned I guess.

CathyM said:

I have a question from the point of view of someone who has created her own folder system where I have put files where I want them and have renamed alot of them - Will DS 4.9 work for me or will I need to uninstall/reinstall over 6000 items?  If I do have to uninstall/reinstall to go with this new content thing, will all my files then become encrypted (as in - would I need to re-download them all and at that point they would be encrypted)?

Or, will DS 4.9 work with my file system as it is? I am very concerned about this whole thing, I haven't ever had smart content work for me.  If I stay with 4.8 I won't get the bug fixes and upgrades to the program itself so I guess I will need to upgrade - but will I be able to, without a great deal of trouble?  Thanks for any advice or assurances - Cathy

You don't have to switch to Daz Connect, DS4.9 works with your existing file system the same way 4.8 does (once you tell it where the content folders are, of course).  Even if you choose to use Daz Connect for new content you can leave your existing content as is.

Sonja11 said:

I won't do a montly fee for any of this kind of stuff.  I will be using the copy of of photoshop that I have for the rest of my life because I just won't pay a monthly fee.  Right now, if I want to purchase something and i have the funds I do.  If idon't have the funds then I don't.  But if I don't have the funds to pay the monthly fee, then I can't access my content.  And, if you multiply that $20 bucks a month for 20 years, that's a lot of content you could purchase. Same with games. I want a hard copy or I want a download to my machine.  Call me old fashioned I guess.

Just so no one reading this thread gets confused, Daz Connect is not a subscription system.

• CathyM said:

You don't have to switch to Daz Connect, DS4.9 works with your existing file system the same way 4.8 does (once you tell it where the content folders are, of course).  Even if you choose to use Daz Connect for new content you can leave your existing content as is.

This is the part I'm not clear about Mike. Somewhere in the FAQ there's a part about the data base being affected at some times and not others? Like if you do this in 4.9 it doesn't affect 4.8 but if you do that it does. I read it a few times and couldn't get it straight.

CathyM said:

This is the part I'm not clear about Mike. Somewhere in the FAQ there's a part about the data base being affected at some times and not others? Like if you do this in 4.9 it doesn't affect 4.8 but if you do that it does. I read it a few times and couldn't get it straight.

DS4.9 adds extra tables to the CMS database.  The first time you launch 4.8 it migrates the information in the 4.8 tables into the new 4.9 tables (it doesn't delete the 4.8 tables, it leaves them for 4.8).  The list of categories is shared, so if you create a category in 4.8 it will then show in 4.9, and if you create a category in 4.9 it will then show in 4.8, but the data on individual items is kept separate.

For example, DS4.9 creates a category under Default named "Lost and Found" for items which currently don't have metadata.  If you then launch 4.8, you'll see that category listed, but there's no content in it, just empty folders.  On;ly 4.9 will show content under Lost and Found.

• CathyM said:

DS4.9 adds extra tables to the CMS database.  The first time you launch 4.8 it migrates the information in the 4.8 tables into the new 4.9 tables (it doesn't delete the 4.8 tables, it leaves them for 4.8).  The list of categories is shared, so if you create a category in 4.8 it will then show in 4.9, and if you create a category in 4.9 it will then show in 4.8, but the data on individual items is kept separate.

For example, DS4.9 creates a category under Default named "Lost and Found" for items which currently don't have metadata.  If you then launch 4.8, you'll see that category listed, but there's no content in it, just empty folders.  On;ly 4.9 will show content under Lost and Found.

OK thanks Mike :)

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,128
    CathyM said:

The database layout has changed a bit for 4.9 - so anything downloaded and installed by Connect, for example, won't be visible in th 4.8 smart content. But your existing content, and anything new installed by DIM will continue to work in 4.8 and 4.9. Just as a matter of pure caution I wouldn't try categorization in 4.9 with the expectation that 4.8 would see the same results - it is a beta, after all. If you look in the Studio log file for 4.9 you'll see entries about migration (Migrated x of y items) - this is 4,9 copying your 4.8 smart content into the 4.9 database tables.

This discussion has been closed.