Daz Studio 4.9 Beta Now Available..

Comments

• Muon QuarkMuon Quark Posts: 561
    edited November 2015

For those who want to get a feel for how much effort it will take to set up Categories to replicate a file-and-folder-on-disk system you're comfortable with, try this.

Start up DS 4.8 (not the beta).  In Content Library, go to one of your custom content folders, e.g. Content Library > Poser Formats > My Freebie Library.  Right-click on "My Freebie Library" and choose "Create a Category From" > "This Folder and Subfolders".  In the Dialog box that opens, highlight "Categories" and click Accept.

Start with a smaller content folder -- for me it took a few seconds for a 1GB Runtime folder, and 4 minutes for my entire DIM-installed Daz Library.

Go to Categories, and you now have that customized file-and-folder arrangement replicated as a Category.

Thanks for that!  Can that be done for the DS content as well as the Rutime content?

Thanks.

Edit:  Should that be done......?

Post edited by Muon Quark on
  • Yes you can duplicate your DS Content folder structure in Categories using the same method.

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009

I'm just going to break from the pack and say: hell yes.

Not that its without bugs, but... this is what Smart Content was lacking... the breakdown, being able to see all the pieces of the product in one damn place not having to switch and switch and switch to find all the pieces of the product: set, lights, cameras, poses... now just grab the product and have it all there.

I'm sold. Thank you, now work out the bugs, please.

For several releases I've been using Products to see all items grouped together.  I then right click and Add as Category where I want it.  Nothing new about the ability.  I don't use Smart Content very often and seldom change any files in My Library.  All the 01-??? brown eyes, makeup, etc., are just too confusing.

I can right click on a file's icon and see the file name, file path, author, and file details such as when it was created, modified, and the file size.  We already have all of these abilities, and more.  There was no need for a new system, especially when improvements that have been asked about for years still have not been addressed.

• BarubaryBarubary Posts: 1,206
    DAZ_Rawb said:

Also we had a meeting and came up with a plan on being able to organize using files for Daz Connect. I am not going to share more about the implementation but we now have a definite plan that will allow Daz Connect installed content to be sorted around on the filesystem.

I can't guarantee that this will be in the release, or if it will come in a patch-release soon after the inital release but it is in the works.

That's the best news ever. Thank you very much.

You know, it really makes me angry that DAZ didn't see this (magnitude of) backlash coming. But I do respect, that you guys sometimes do go the extra mile to try and keep all of us happy. It's like the ying / yang of DAZ. ^^

I would like to add that I am in no way generally opposed to make this piece of software as accessible to new users as possible. But I don't believe that does have to come at the price of limiting the more experienced users.

I would also add that I do understand the upsides of the category system. If the whole thing was much faster, easier and more comfortable to work with I might consider changing the way I do things. And others might too.

• Testing6790Testing6790 Posts: 1,091

Connect seems interesting. I'm all for it as long as we can still move content out of the file-system if we want to. I'm always wary of the auto update stuff potentially breaking something in the short term. 

• Eva1Eva1 Posts: 1,249
    edited November 2015

double post

Post edited by Eva1 on
  • Eva1Eva1 Posts: 1,249
    edited November 2015
    DAZ_Rawb said:

Anything that you have already purchased will continue to be available indefinitely as unencrypted zip's. DIM will likely be around for years to come, it does require server resources to keep running so if it's usage levels drop to infinitesimal levels we may take those servers offline.To let you know how soon that may be, we would need to update Bryce, Carrara and Hexagon before we can take DIM offline.

...in that case please take DIM offline  laugh...as a devoted Bryce user that would be worth it! (Never use DIM anyway hehe)wink[tries to think of a way to get all Daz users to stop using DIM....]

Post edited by Eva1 on
  • Eva1 said:
    DAZ_Rawb said:

Anything that you have already purchased will continue to be available indefinitely as unencrypted zip's. DIM will likely be around for years to come, it does require server resources to keep running so if it's usage levels drop to infinitesimal levels we may take those servers offline.To let you know how soon that may be, we would need to update Bryce, Carrara and Hexagon before we can take DIM offline.

...in that case please take DIM offline  laugh...as a devoted Bryce user that would be worth it! (Never use DIM anyway hehe)wink[tries to think of a way to get all Daz users to stop using DIM....]

If we can get a "last updated" date field for the Product Library section of the website, I'd be all for that.

At the moment, however, I have to use DIM to see what products have been updated or not (I still install and categorize manually).

• morkmork Posts: 278

Sorry, late to the party and for not heaving read all 29 pages.

Is there any news about linux compatibility? Would be a blast if it would cooperate with WINE. DAZ is one of the last, if not the last, app I need windows for.

Then I read something about encryption and installing using the build-in installer: strong dislike!
    It's pretty obvious why DRM is implemented but you're making the classic mistake here. In the end, it's only a hassle for those who have paid money. Those who have not, will have have a better customer experience. Why should it be different exactly this time? Just saying...
    I'm on the fence already for just dropping the word DRM itself, I had way too much bad experiences with something like that, therefore I can say, knowing that nobody cares, that I won't purchase anything that comes with DRM. "Other mothers have beautiful daughters as well", is a saying here.

Besides that, I like that some annoying bugs got fixed. I'd like it more if there were patched in the recent version than waiting for the next major, though. ;)

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    mork said:

Is there any news about linux compatibility? Would be a blast if it would cooperate with WINE. DAZ is one of the last, if not the last, app I need windows for.

No advances on that front...

• If we can get a "last updated" date field for the Product Library section of the website, I'd be all for that.

Something I just realised as I read this — we already have "last updated" data for each and every item in the DAZ store. But it isn't in the Product Library page, it's in each product's online readme page.

Okay, DAZ, one of the things people have been asking about for years has been there all along. Is it feasible to put tab A into slot B so the Product Library page can access the info from the readme page?

On the gripping hand, the online readmes have been "a problem" for years, what with all of the pages that were never — and have still never — been moved back into the regular readmes section from the old and many-years-defunct ArtZone site.  

• willowfan said:

Yes you can duplicate your DS Content folder structure in Categories using the same method.

Thanks Willowfan!  Very helpful.

• morkmork Posts: 278
    mjc1016 said:
    mork said:

No advances on that front...

OMG. No clue what I did different this time, but I thought I let you know that, for the first time ever, I have DAZ 4.8 running in wine64 (wine-staging). \o/
    I'll figure out if it's usable and how I did it and let you know about the result in a linux thread.

• Connect seems interesting. I'm all for it as long as we can still move content out of the file-system if we want to. I'm always wary of the auto update stuff potentially breaking something in the short term. 

Updates are not automatic, you have to trigger them.

• MBuschMBusch Posts: 547

Connect seems interesting. I'm all for it as long as we can still move content out of the file-system if we want to. I'm always wary of the auto update stuff potentially breaking something in the short term. 

Updates are not automatic, you have to trigger them.

Well, metadata fetching is occurring automatically and sometimes re-creating old categories.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    Sonja11 said:

I won't do a montly fee for any of this kind of stuff.  I will be using the copy of of photoshop that I have for the rest of my life because I just won't pay a monthly fee.  Right now, if I want to purchase something and i have the funds I do.  If idon't have the funds then I don't.  But if I don't have the funds to pay the monthly fee, then I can't access my content.  And, if you multiply that $20 bucks a month for 20 years, that's a lot of content you could purchase. Same with games. I want a hard copy or I want a download to my machine.  Call me old fashioned I guess.

Just so no one reading this thread gets confused, Daz Connect is not a subscription system.

No this was just a comment on the idea of monthly subscription type content. I in no way meant to imply it was happening here at this moment

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854

Any sort of subscription would be a logistical nightmare. There are something like 450 total PA's and thousands of products by those PA's. Who got what and if any of it was prorated would be a huge accounting drama.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,970

Yeah, while I could certainly afford a subscription, I like the ability to pay people who make stuff I like for their work, and to have it forever without worrying. I also fear it would reduce the incentive for Daz to bring in more PAs.

Thankfully, there's no reason to suppose Daz is inclined to move that way.

edited November 2015
    Khory said:

Any sort of subscription would be a logistical nightmare. There are something like 450 total PA's and thousands of products by those PA's. Who got what and if any of it was prorated would be a huge accounting drama.

Really?

Just a drama?

That's the kind of stuff extremely disturbing nightmares are made of...

Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854

I didn't really have a good enough word for the scale of "hellahard" that would be. Every time someone brings up subscription I am reminded that most people forget that Daz is a brokerage and that they sell products for hundreds of individuals. Daz has done an amazing job of getting us to work togther and with them but that would be a whole different ball of wax. And lest someone thinks they can just buy us all out.. Yea.. the expected yearly income for x years for say 400 or so people all at once. The prhase "cost prohibative" comes to mind. Brokerages work because the brokerage is not having to invest in all of the inventory in the store. Daz invests in way more content than any other brokerage but most days most if not all of the products released are PA owned. Things could change, anything can happen where cats and dogs are living together, but I can't imagine Daz ever thinking that is a good way to go financialy.

Khory said:

Things could change, anything can happen where cats and dogs are living together, but I can't imagine Daz ever thinking that is a good way to go financialy.

Stranger things have happened...but it's like one of those things that are signals for an impending apocalypse or something.

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,127

I'm a PC+ member, I already pay for a subscription

just sayin'

• lx_2807502lx_2807502 Posts: 2,996

PC+ membership is such a ridiculously good deal to me, though. The first thing I bought was a membership, and then the Aiko 6 pro bundle, and the amount saved by joining not only paid for the 3 month membership, but I still got the bundle for cheaper. And then you get 3 months of savings on top of it. I've never seen a membership club type thing even remotely approach that level of instant value elsewhere without some sort of massive down the line strings attached.

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,127
    lx said:

PC+ membership is such a ridiculously good deal to me, though. The first thing I bought was a membership, and then the Aiko 6 pro bundle, and the amount saved by joining not only paid for the 3 month membership, but I still got the bundle for cheaper. And then you get 3 months of savings on top of it. I've never seen a membership club type thing even remotely approach that level of instant value elsewhere without some sort of massive down the line strings attached.

I have to agree, I love it !

I'm not sure how long you've been a member , but a few months back we were given the V4 and M4 hero Pro sets,,,for free.

among the first things I got where the HD addons for V6 and the Olympia6 Pro bundle :)

I don't see me canceling my membership anytime soon. Like you said , it's a ridiculously good deal.

• Jan19Jan19 Posts: 1,109
    edited November 2015

I love the PC+ membership, believe it pays for itself many times over, and it is sort of like a subscription.  :-)  So you are both right.  I don't know why I waited three months to rejoin. 

But since I have rediscovered all this...I surely hope things stay on an even keel.

Post edited by Jan19 on
  • Jan19 said:

I love the PC+ membership, believe it pays for itself many times over, and it is sort of like a subscription.  :-)  So you are both right.  I don't know why I waited three months to rejoin. 

But since I have rediscovered all this...I surely hope things stay on an even keel.

Glad to hear this ;)

• lx_2807502lx_2807502 Posts: 2,996
    icecrmn said:
    lx said:

I have to agree, I love it !

I'm not sure how long you've been a member , but a few months back we were given the V4 and M4 hero Pro sets,,,for free.

among the first things I got where the HD addons for V6 and the Olympia6 Pro bundle :)

I don't see me canceling my membership anytime soon. Like you said , it's a ridiculously good deal.

D: I didn't get M4 and V4 for free (or anything out of the ordinary actually) D:

Actually I still don't have them >.> the older content remains a sort of 'when I get around to it and I'm not completely broke from whatever the latest special" kind of thing.

Really, though, even without comparing to other club type deals in lands that shall not be named that I was deeply unimpressed with, Premier Club has been the first deal type thing that I've felt genuinely satisfied with, and keeps me coming back to spend more and leaves me feeling happy about it. So please keep it awesome.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,970

Yeah, I feel completely satisfied with PC+. It's paid for itself many times over.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715

Yeh PC+ is great; it almost feels like Daz's whole setup is geared towards encouraging that; it certainly had that affect on me, whatever they actually wish.

• glaseyeglaseye Posts: 1,311

While I like my PC+ membership, I'm also worried that (new) DAZ Originals and PC+ items are prime items to be encrypted. That's a no go for me, as I cannot get those items working on my OFFLINE main render system. And for what I understand so far, transferring a key from an online system to an offline system will not work.......

This discussion has been closed.