Show Us Your Bryce Renders!

Comments

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Have now re-mapped the textures on this amplifier to go with the Gretsch.
    I'm doing a custom version of the Gretsch at the moment, will post it when it's rendered (two and a half hours!).

nice

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@David: Why is the shadow of the stick and the standing Vicki falling more towards the right, but the shadow of sitting Vicki's upper body falling off towards the left?

@Erich: Love the whole look. It reminds me of shots taken from the Hawaiian island that's erupting all the time. (don't remember its name)

@Dave: Wow, all you need now are the cords and drums.

@Jay: Ah yes, Myst and the others. Lived on those islands for some time when they all came out. Lovely places. Haven't seen anything like them since.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @David: Why is the shadow of the stick and the standing Vicki falling more towards the right, but the shadow of sitting Vicki's upper body falling off towards the left?

It is perspective. The low camera angle coupled with the wide FOV exaggerates the effect. http://www.gulker.com/wp/2007/01/24/long-shadows-long-day/ in this image, the shadows must be almost parallel because the light source is very far away, yet they appear to splay outwards.

Here is another lighting trial. Render time one hour 10. I clean up 10 stray bad pixels in PSP8.

The amp and the guitar, very nice work Dave! The lighting... moody.

Kitchen_rtr_rrp64_v6_stanford_statue_test1.jpg
    637 x 850 - 273K
    edited December 1969

In this one I masked the model off, using object masking and applied a very small amount of blur to match it to the backdrop as best I could.

LekRoof_p3_rtr_rrp64_v6_stanford_test1.jpg
    637 x 850 - 202K
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,287
    edited December 1969

@TheSavage64 - guitar amp looks very nice, guitar too.

@David - light and shadow looking good.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Thanks guys. :)
    Yes moody lighting, it was supposed to be in a dark moody recording studio (hence the carpeted walls).

Am still working on the customised model.
    I've designed the sticker, changed the scratch plate and stained the wood red with a dark stripe running down the center.

But I'm now realising that I'm going to have to re-draw the whole picture texture map as it's just too low resolution as it was supplied (it was a freebie model so that's not a complaint).

This is what it's looking like at the moment.

Custom-Gretsch.jpg
    1120 x 642 - 747K
    edited September 2012

Looks good Dave, if not for the noise, photographic. I like the lighting very much.

Another test, again I softened the rendered area slightly in PSP8 to match it up with the softness of the backdrop.

Fels_rtr_rrp64_v7_stanford_test1.jpg
    637 x 850 - 224K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Thanks guys. :)
    Yes moody lighting, it was supposed to be in a dark moody recording studio (hence the carpeted walls).

Am still working on the customised model.
    I've designed the sticker, changed the scratch plate and stained the wood red with a dark stripe running down the center.

But I'm now realising that I'm going to have to re-draw the whole picture texture map as it's just too low resolution as it was supplied (it was a freebie model so that's not a complaint).

This is what it's looking like at the moment.

Yeehaaaah THe South Will Rise Again. Love the custom dec. Well done Dave.
    edited December 1969

Looks good Dave, if not for the noise, photographic. I like the lighting very much.

It was either photographed on a very high ISO film or I restricted Bryce to 36RPP to speed up the render. :cheese:

Yours is great. The only bit that jumps out as not fitting is the nearest claw against the sand.
    I know it would be tough to make it sink into the sand a bit and look convincing, but it's nothing that a strategically placed pebble wouldn't fix. But again it only looks slightly wrong because the rest of it looks so right.

• canyonmanterrycanyonmanterry Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I like the statue and guitar render. New guy like me look for inspiration like these. I gave up working on a forest for this work. Will try later. More tutorials and many more trials and errors. thanks for the tips. This version is in full render. It took over an hour. move the sun some.

canyon_falls6_(800x404)_(2).jpg
    800 x 404 - 256K
    edited December 1969

@TheSavage64 - guitar looks excellent. I'm not so sure about the shadows.The banding and the softness look a bit overdone to me. But then, it is also a nice effect. It all depends on what you're after.

edited December 1969

@David - statue looks good. I don't see the small issue TheSavage64 mentioned, but it may be my eyes and my preoccupation with this environment. Have you noticed that there are issues if you rotate the camera 180° of this position and pose the objects?

edited December 1969

Not had any issues with the camera rotation, but on the other side of the statue there is something which causes black fireflies. So I have been careful to try and keep that side away from the camera.

Here's a re-render of the one with the sand and it is now slightly tilted and sunk.

Here's another for consideration.

And Canyonmanterry, interesting idea to take an overhead view of the falls like that, unusual composition. Works well.

LekRoof_p2_rtr_rrp64_v7_stanford_test1.jpg
    637 x 850 - 221K
    Fels_rtr_rrp64_v7_stanford_test2.jpg
    637 x 850 - 218K
    edited December 1969

Not had any issues with the camera rotation, but on the other side of the statue there is something which causes black fireflies. So I have been careful to try and keep that side away from the camera.

Here's a re-render of the one with the sand and it is now slightly tilted and sunk.

That does indeed look better, one foot into the sand. The size of Vicky on the right example looks about right. First, I thought she's too small because the statue dwarfs her, but comparing with the wall, her size seems right to me.
  • greymouser69greymouser69 Posts: 500
    edited December 1969

Been playing around and went through David's desert landscape tutorial. Here's what I ended up with, some nice contrasts but I'm not really happy with the light at the moment. Any tips or suggestions are always welcome.

DesertTut.png
    650 x 500 - 338K
    edited December 1969

David: Those are nice renders. I did see what The Savage was talking about and it did clean up when you lower that claw into the sand. I really like all of those.

Dave: Nice touch replacing the control knobs with the dice.

Canyon: Those mountains look much better. When you go back to add trees, keep in mind you're viewing those mountains from high up. So any trees you do see will look more like clumps of green or whatever color they happen to be. Because you're doing a low light scene keep the amount of trees low so the look like trees. Other wise you'll end up with what you had in the last render. Also, I think that lower eagle would look better if you shrink it a bit. It would add in the affect of making it look lower on the falls.

edited December 1969

Been playing around and went through David's desert landscape tutorial. Here's what I ended up with, some nice contrasts but I'm not really happy with the light at the moment. Any tips or suggestions are always welcome.

Difficult to give a tip, because I like it that way. The sun is quite high in the sky judging from the shadows on the dunes. Those midday renders are always a bit flat in contrast (like photographs are as well) and this is in the desert.
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited September 2012

@GreyMouse69
    I think you’ve nailed it in terms of a ‘desert’ scene...simply excellent and believable.

Not suggesting, but asking: what would it be like if you changed the haze - crossing the mountain midway down – to a colour of that of the foreground sand (it currently looks blue-ish), and, sparse-out the clouds a little (they look too wave-like for me) to let that wonderful blue sky you have achieved come through more.

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
    edited September 2012

@GreyMouse69 - good idea about the haze from Jamahoney. Do you know that you can control the haze height with the cumulus cloud height? Even if no cumulus clouds are used. Switch them on, move the height up (watch preview) and if you're happy with the haze, switch off the cumulus clouds (if you don't need then).

Post edited by Horo on
    edited December 1969

my pet

my_pet.jpg
    1274 x 695 - 180K
  • AtlantisAtlantis Posts: 133
    edited December 1969

Far west of Sumatra: 1933

kong3.jpg
    1200 x 575 - 45K
    edited December 1969

to dark to see for me

edited December 1969

A lower sun angle, pitched behind and off to one side of the mountains may bring out more of the geometry of your terrains.

edited December 1969

bigh said:
    my pet

Interesting render. I like the idea.
    edited December 1969

@tlantis said:
    Far west of Sumatra: 1933

And I thought it was Mordor (which is meant as compliment).
  • LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

Not had any issues with the camera rotation, but on the other side of the statue there is something which causes black fireflies.

Is this one that Meshlab had to work it's magic on to get it to import? If so then that's probably where the fireflies come from.

edited December 1969

Is this one that Meshlab had to work it's magic on to get it to import? If so then that's probably where the fireflies come from.

Dunno. I stepped them down by halving until I got down to 1/32 resolution and put each resolution into the objects library. I don't know which one David used. I still can't do Lucy. Not enough memory with 8 GB. MeshLab hangs at 51% and obviously can't use virtual memory on the HD.

edited December 1969

@tlantis: Having never been near an erupting volcano I can imagine it'd be that dark and sooty. I like what you've done.

@bigh: A girl in a bubble, and a dragon seeing its reflection. Might be a bit confusion to the dragon. Really nice.

I've been following a tutorial, well, actually it's described as a syllabus for Bryce 5 and have been working on making a child's pull toy. It's been a learning experience of cutting the bed of the little wagon, aligning the parts of the wheel--which there are three--and making the blocks. The next step was to make a baby rattle. That wasn't very hard, I even added a separation ring like you'd see on some rattles. Then I played with the material and came up with four I liked.

Everything is still a WIP, so there isn't any lighting, background, or anything else the syllabus says to add. I've an idea of my own and it will be interesting to see how it turns our. But here is the wagon and blocks, and the baby rattle with four different materials.

Like others, suggestions and comments are more than welcomed.

Baby_Rattle_Material_Experiment.jpg
    1280 x 748 - 58K
    Wagon_Box_and_Wheels_6.jpg
    1280 x 748 - 36K
    edited December 1969

@GussNemo - you do make progress in modelling. No suggestions (yet) for I'm a rather bad modeler.

edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    Like others, suggestions and comments are more than welcomed.

Coming along nicely.
    The only suggestion is to change the mapping mode from World Space to Object Space on the red and blue boxes in the cart so the pattern lines up with the box instead of the cart. :)
This discussion has been closed.