Carrara Challenge #21: “Video Game - Main Scene” - WIP Thread - Closed

pimpypimpy Posts: 274
edited December 2015 in Carrara Discussion

Carrara Challenge #21: Video Game - Main Scene”

The new video game you made is finished!

Now, you must promote it with an original and spectacular "main scene".

Do you like video games? The theme for this contest is this: “invent the main scene for a video game” with, title, story characters (humans, droids, monsters, animals, or whatever you want), environment or place that you like and show it!

Every subject is allowed, fantasy, spy story, sci-fi, noir, animation, etc.

Basic Rules

1. Each participant may submit up to 2 images into the Challenge.

2. Images must be new (previously unpublished).

3. Images must be primarily set up in Carrara.

4. Images must be rendered in Carrara or in an external renderer for which there is a Carrara plug-in (e.g. LuxRenderer, Octane).

5. At least one WIP (work in progress) image must be posted to the WIP thread (this can be as simple as the scene setup, a pre/post post-work comparison or just a final image with a brief description of the process you used or as complex as modeling rooms shots, shader setups or partial scene setups or test renders).

6. Little plot summary of the videogame you made is not required but it could be helpful to better understand the final work.

7. At least one object in the scene has to be modeled in Carrara.

Sponsors

Thanks to our generous sponsor DAZ 3D for offering once again the following awards to the winners:

1st Place: $100.00 towards DAZ 3D owned item(s)
2nd Place: $50.00 towards DAZ 3D owned item(s)
3rd Place: $25.00 towards DAZ 3D owned item(s)
Honorable Mention: $10.00 towards DAZ 3D owned item(s)

Thank you to our generous PA sponsor MAGAREMOTO for offering the following awards to the challenge winners:
1st Place: 3 Items from Magaremoto's store
2nd Place: 2 Items from Magaremoto's store
3rd Place: 1 Item from Magaremoto's store
Honorable Mention: 1 Item from Magaremoto's store

Thanks to Magaremoto for his support..
His DAZ store is here:

http://www.daz3d.com/magaremoto
Please support our PA

Dates to Remember:

WIP Thread Opens: Saturday, November 14, 2015
Entry Thread Opens: Sunday, Decembar 13, 2015
Entry Thread Closes/Voting Begins: Sunday Decembar 20, 2015 23:59:59 (US Mountain Time)
Voting Ends: Monday Decembar 28, 2015 23:59:59 (US Mountain Time)

I live in the CET – Central European Time zone, but will keep the reference time DAZ 3D time, which is US Mountain Time. http://www.timeanddate.com/time/zones/mst

Post edited by pimpy on

Comments

• pimpypimpy Posts: 274
    edited November 2015

Someting to start:

- story characters:100 video games heroes:

http://www.gamesradar.com/top-100-video-game-heroes/

- 100 Greatest Video Games of All Time:

http://www.slantmagazine.com/features/article/100-greatest-video-games-of-all-time

Some titles of  famous video games:

promogame.jpg
    1770 x 1809 - 2M
    Post edited by pimpy on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited November 2015

I am looking forward to this one.  I will have to put my thinking cap on.  This could be the perfect excuse for me to go full Toon style, not that I ever needed an excuse.  Or, I could focus on making a unique character for Genesis or Genesis 2.  Certainly, the people who like to pursue photo-realism will have an infinite number of ways to express their visions.  

Great theme.

Edit, maybe these guys need to get angry.

Post edited by Diomede on
    edited November 2015
    diomede said:

I am looking forward to this one.  I will have to put my thinking cap on.  This could be the perfect excuse for me to go full Toon style, not that I ever needed an excuse.  Or, I could focus on making a unique character for Genesis or Genesis 2.  Certainly, the people who like to pursue photo-realism will have an infinite number of ways to express their visions.  

Great theme.

Edit, maybe these guys need to get angry.

Hi Diomede

thank you and yes...Toon style is a good idea! Great start!

P.S. Can you explain how  add the image in the post? I tried to do it without success....

Post edited by pimpy on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Originally, the image was added the standard way, by clicking "Attach a file" at the bottom of the post.  See where it was originally posted here.   http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/889222/#Comment_889222

Once it was added to the bottom of that post, I could click on it and copy the URL, which is http://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/38/e62c893408eef8b49501521f457cc9.jpg

Now that I have the URL, I could insert without re-attaching by copying the URL in the box of the "insert image" function.  The "insert image" function is the landscape-looking icon in the menu just below Leave a Comment.

ff 01a posting menu.jpg
    789 x 422 - 63K
    ff 02b insert pic URL.jpg
    1208 x 695 - 160K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Please note that you do have to have the attachment on the forum somewhere for the image URL to work.  If you remove the attachment then the image itself will disappear at some stage, when the servers are refreshed.

• I have a couple ideas for this one. Hopefully I'll have the time to get both done!
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited November 2015

So, here is a character test for my first scene. It's going to be my take on the cover art for a racing game. I'm doing the classic scene where the girl starts the race, as in that ol' James Dean flick. I think it is Rebel Without a Cause? The pose isn't done yet, as I still need to adjust the hands to grip some little flags. I also need a good background and to kit-bash some racing vehicles.

I also haven't settled on the hair for the figure and if I want a frontal view or a rear view of her. I guess it will depend on the vehicles, the perspective, and the scale of them.

This uses A3 with the procedural skin shader I'm giving away. Obviously, this is a rear view. ;-)

I'll post the front view tomorrow.

test-rear.jpg
    1500 x 1125 - 190K
    Post edited by evilproducer on
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147

wip - teck

000 01 C teck.jpg
    640 x 480 - 32K
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited November 2015

Nice choice Pimpy. Here's a couple from me. Love these archaic low poly models. 

First is the unadulterated render. The video game is saving private ryan...

The fog is via the skyplane triplicated with various alpha graduated  settings as they come closer to the camera - with shadows off,

the mud from the tyres is the background explosion reduced and duplicated

the background explosion is lit be a graduated bulb light source and is also light emitting

the cobble stones are 20 percent alpha clear to show a mud layer underneath, which is why the pebbles looka bit spacey

the date on the first one is 2016 accidently,  because I am trying to forget 2015, as many of us are

Worked up in Corel Painter

In situ in Carrara

Post edited by Chohole on

thanks for resizing Pam

@ evilproducer : I love A3, good choice!
    @ bigh : saturn and the deep space. perfect theme for a video game
    @ head wax : excellent concept and execution!

• Great work bigh and headly!

Here's the full frontal version I mentioned. Now it's off to work I go!

test-front.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 317K

Great work bigh and headly!

Here's the full frontal version I mentioned. Now it's off to work I go!

U are going to work - stay home and play wink

thanks guys !

pimpy said:

@ evilproducer : I love A3, good choice!
    @ bigh : saturn and the deep space. perfect theme for a video game
    @ head wax : excellent concept and execution!

thanks Pimpy, this challenge should elicit some amazing work, can see it in evil and bigh's offerings already ;)

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970

Oh I hope my new machine come soon..  it's due end of next week or beginning of the following one. Fingers crossed as I'd like to enter, having not for a long time now. Not a gamer, no matter... I can give a go at making one up! cheeky SileneUK

SileneUK said:

Oh I hope my new machine come soon..  it's due end of next week or beginning of the following one. Fingers crossed as I'd like to enter, having not for a long time now. Not a gamer, no matter... I can give a go at making one up! cheeky SileneUK

Hi Silene.

Fingers crossed for your new machine and we wait for your entry! wink

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

I will attempt to do it as well, my down fall may be the modeling an item as I cant do that yet.

Will give it a try and of course the lead caracter will be none other than Chickenman

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

Maybe I should update the two games that I had published for the Amiga in the 1980s!  My goodness, that sounds a long time ago now - yes, I know, it is!!

I will attempt to do it as well, my down fall may be the modeling an item as I cant do that yet.

Will give it a try and of course the lead caracter will be none other than Chickenman

Chickenman caracter for a video game? Wonderfull... a new Hero is born!

edited November 2015
    PhilW said:

Maybe I should update the two games that I had published for the Amiga in the 1980s!  My goodness, that sounds a long time ago now - yes, I know, it is!!

Hi Phil

that's fantastic. Please show as your work and  update your games!yes

Post edited by pimpy on
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    PhilW said:

What games were these? I had an Amiga, maybe I played them . . .

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144
    PhilW said:

What games were these? I had an Amiga, maybe I played them . . .

My bad, my games were actually for the previous computer generation - for the Acorn BBC Micro - there was "Trench" by Virgin Games and "Orpheus" by A&F Software.  I have to say that neither set the world alight!  I also did some freelance art and articles for Acorn User, and then later for Amiga User International (both UK magazines).  It was on the Amiga that I first used 3D software - Imagine 3D.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,989
    edited November 2015

Just basic stuff will do... just like my Ray Gun I modelled for this challenge... just a heap of primitives pushed and prodded cool

raygun.jpg
    979 x 640 - 55K
    Post edited by Stezza on
    edited November 2015

Synopsis: I'm making this up as I type!

Title : Outback Alien

Object: Collect all the magical boomerangs to advance to the next stage(s) .. Nulla Nulla's give extra points

Outback Alien has crashed in the Australian Outback and she (it) needs supplies to fix her space ship to get back to her home planet.. Along her journey she is acompanied by her pet Golly and her newly aquainted True Blue Outback friend  Olly.. Together they fight off the outback nasties like blood thirsty drop bears, wockadeemas and much more in their quest to get the spaceship fixed...

Scene setup

scene shot composited.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 784K
    Post edited by Stezza on
    edited November 2015
    head wax said:

Nice choice Pimpy. Here's a couple from me. Love these archaic low poly models. 

First is the unadulterated render. The video game is saving private ryan...

The fog is via the skyplane triplicated with various alpha graduated  settings as they come closer to the camera - with shadows off,

the mud from the tyres is the background explosion reduced and duplicated

the background explosion is lit be a graduated bulb light source and is also light emitting

the cobble stones are 20 percent alpha clear to show a mud layer underneath, which is why the pebbles looka bit spacey

the date on the first one is 2016 accidently,  because I am trying to forget 2015, as many of us are

Worked up in Corel Painter

In situ in Carrara

You bought a Jeep!

Great work on this with a nice touch in the background.. yes smiley

edited to take out the double quote... Daz Forums do work quite nicely no

Post edited by Stezza on

Making a drop bear

Rendered AM's Koala and also rendered Vlad and composited them in PSE

making creepy koala.jpg
    800 x 600 - 253K

Thanks Stezza, the drop bear is killing me ;) well, more on target, killing vlad ! 

Heres a different version, Australia drop bear attacks English tourist ;)   

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Mw3LQ55v2zA/TDRj-n5699I/AAAAAAAADAk/fLmuV8AvULA/s1600/Doc3cropped.gif

• I modeled a flag/towel for my scene. It is just a simple vertex mesh that has been pushed and pulled with soft select and then smoothed.

Picture 3.png
    985 x 952 - 191K
    Picture 4.png
    821 x 566 - 113K
    Picture 5.png
    608 x 444 - 91K

It's a lovely flag evil :)

I would have given you more points if you'd used bullet physics though.;)