Carrara Challenge #21: “Video Game - Main Scene” - WIP Thread - Closed

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

Awesome!

• Sorry I haven't posted anything in awhile. I don't know if I will have time to complete my entry. I have a paying video job that has been eating into my time, as well as home repairs/renovations and prepping the play I am directing with rehearsals starting in very early January, mandatory overtime at work, etc.

Then there are the Holidays.... Is there an emoticon for pulling out my hair?!?

If I can get my video job done, and I don't have to work Saturday, then maybe, just maybe, I'll have some time for myself and Carrara. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited December 2015

excuses excuses ;)  is this what you seek young gedi?

Post edited by Headwax on
  • Opps, forgot to post my final render here, lol, so here it is now...

Second image is a pseudo anaglyph 3d I made in Fusion using 2D displacement and depth map rendered in Carrara (still in experimental phase), cyan/red glasses required to properly see it smiley

NearlyDead.jpg
    1720 x 860 - 479K
    NearlyDead3D.jpg
    1555 x 788 - 462K
  • head wax said:

That's the one!
    head wax said:

keep using it we will have to call you 'headwax ' :)

nice work fifthelement , now off to buy some anaglyph spex! 

• Lol Head Wax, thanks, I would think lots of peeps here would have 3D glasses, mine are probably like a dollar ones and made out of paper, came with my copy of Lightwave 10, but apparently not smiley

• Here is my first carrara contest submission. I modeled the book and the keys in the cat's mouth in carrara. I still need to create a magic effect for the pixie, and maybe some fur for the cat, but I'd welcome any other advice.

Here's the game:

Familiar! You are a wizard's familiar, trying to keep your hapless wizard alive through various adventures. You can play as a pixie, cat, or dog. In true video game fashion, the promo image is more exciting than the game. (Since all 3 familiars are there at the same time, yet in the actual game you can only use one of them) :)

familiar.jpg
    1920 x 1280 - 316K
    edited December 2015

well done, welcome to the Carrara challenges Dave :) LOve the composition.

Advice? The first thing t hat comes to mind is drop down the ambient to 2 percent or less. (assuming you haven't) That will mean the only lights are the ones you put in and it will make it and the resulting shadows even more dramatic.!

Post edited by Headwax on
  • chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

I have not had a chance to work on anything beyond the concept so I guess I am out again.

• pimpypimpy Posts: 274

@ Dave : Welcome to the challenge. Very nice work!

@ chickeenman: I'm sorry... crying

head wax said:

That's the one!

No! Your hair is too cool to pull out! Can't you just throw a brick at your TV instead?

Dave_5690 said:

Here is my first carrara contest submission. I modeled the book and the keys in the cat's mouth in carrara. I still need to create a magic effect for the pixie, and maybe some fur for the cat, but I'd welcome any other advice.

Here's the game:

Familiar! You are a wizard's familiar, trying to keep your hapless wizard alive through various adventures. You can play as a pixie, cat, or dog. In true video game fashion, the promo image is more exciting than the game. (Since all 3 familiars are there at the same time, yet in the actual game you can only use one of them) :)

Very cool, Dave! Welcome aboard!

There's a lot going on in here!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited December 2015
    diomede said:

Excellent job, Dave.  That is a game that I would like to play.  Similarly, FifthElement, you have nailed the atmosphere.  Excellent!

I have been on the road, so while I have been able to steal away and touch up my project, I have only had intermittant internet access. I think I better submit mine now even though I might stll be able to play around a little more.  I went through and substituted custom shaders where I could find them.  I also made some custom leaves.  I added a few details here and there (steps and shutters for the house, footballs and futbols for the kids,...).  I rendered out a few seperate images for the points labels and combined them in photoshop.

I did have a second game project.  If I continue to get some moments to play with C8.5, I will work on that, but I doubt it could get finished in time.

Grumpy render 1 best clean.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 261K
    Grumpy Driveway Swept.jpg
    480 x 480 - 24K
    Grumpy Leaves Raked.jpg
    640 x 640 - 28K
    Grumpy Lose Points Square.jpg
    640 x 640 - 41K
    Grumpy Smiling Square.jpg
    640 x 640 - 41K
    Post edited by Diomede on

Holy Wow, Fifth E.!!! That's one awesome set of finals! SaWeet!!!

Diomede, I really like the style you're creating for yourself. Really cool stuff.

Thanks, Dartanbeck.  I do feel like I've been making steady progress.  In large part, that is because of the very generous help that I have always gotten from the forum regulars like yourself.  For this project, I wanted a Rankin and Bass claymation feel. 

edited December 2015

You're nailing that sort of feel, for sure!

Wow! I only have until this Sunday to finish? Ouch! Loving the submissions so far! Fantastic!

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited December 2015

Here are some of the pieces of my second idea - a race in arid terrain.

The terrace filter in the terrain editor is my new best friend.  I inserted a terrain.  Then I remove the default mountain generator.  I add a "valley and mountain" generator.  I increase the preview and rendering quality to get more bumpy detail.  I then add a filter and choose terrace and play with the number of terraces and terrace type (smooth or sharp) and the plain strength until I get something I like.  Pretty much guaranteed to get a relatively flat portion surrounded by canyon-like slopes somewhere.  Place a redering camera there.  For this prject, I wanted black/white maps for a road and to control a replicator.  So, I duplicated the terrain and then used the 3D Paint tool on the second terrain to create the ditribution/opacity maps.  Once the maps were saved, I deleted the duplicate terrain.  Here was a simple test render.  I used a layers list shader and the maps to create the relatively green (but still arid) canyon floor with the dustry path winding through it.  The opacty map allowed me to use the red mesa terrain shader for the canyon walls (with occasional green rock mixed in spasely).  The maps were also used to replicate some brush and cactus on the canyon floor away from the path.  Also, this is the ariizona realistic sky preset with the sun moved.  Not much time left but it is not as if I am starting from scratch.  We will see.

terrain 01 terrace and valley mountain.JPG
    1687 x 937 - 181K
    terrain 02 paint trail in black.JPG
    1692 x 894 - 103K
    terrain 03 path and replicators.jpg
    740 x 480 - 53K

I made some changes to the Mr. Grumpy image.  This included changing some of the shaders of the house, adjusting the lighting, moving a football, that sort of thing.  Here is the raw render and the result in photoshop after combining with the same boxes above.  I will switch out the entry thread.

Grumpy Revision Base 1.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 247K
    Grumpy Revision with Postwork.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 660K
  • OK, almost ready for the final post I think. Turned off ambient (thanks Head wax!), zoomed in a bit, and added some special effects. This really takes a lot of time, you all make it look so easy :)

familiar game5.jpg
    1920 x 1280 - 312K

Great job on the special effects, Dave.  Looking excellent.

I can hear the clock ticking on my second entry.  Don't think I will get it in but will post a WIP while I have my laptop hooked up to the internet just in case.

- Modeled a quick racing car

- Loaded M3 with his racing suit.  http://www.daz3d.com/m3-racer

- Added the car and driver to the terrain scene.

racer model.JPG
    1335 x 830 - 98K
    Racer M3 unifrom render.jpg
    640 x 480 - 21K
    racer in car.jpg
    640 x 480 - 14K
    racer in terrain.jpg
    740 x 480 - 47K
    edited December 2015

I am going to enter it anyway.  There are actually 3 cars but one is obscured by the smoke of the first, which makes me very happy.  Depth of field is Carrara effect, smoke achieved by applying explode modifier and blur effect to vertex cones at rear of cars.

racer canyon cars entry.jpg
    1600 x 1038 - 137K
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 2015

Lots of great stuff going on!

I was able to get my render together after all!

It's a road rage racing game, where the cars are armed and can disable other cars and drivers.

Since I was running out of time, I used a Howie Farkes scene that I simplified a bit for a previous challenge. I then added some other elements that I repurposed from other scenes I had done. I did model the start flags that A3 is waving specifically for this scene.

I also did some major shader work on her dress, including using displacement to help the creases, which isn't totally obvious from a distance, but can be seen in the earlier WIPS.

My heads-up graphics are far simpler than I intended, but I ran out time. They were created and composited in Photoshop.

I've attached some simple screen shots of my instances palette with the scene elements and lights, and screen shots of the scene layout. Also some of the layers I was working with in PS.

Oh yeah, I'm attaching the raw render straight out of Carrara.

Click thumbnails for full size!

Picture 1.png
    987 x 962 - 404K
    Picture 1.png
    987 x 962 - 404K
    Picture 2.png
    237 x 581 - 37K
    Picture 3.png
    246 x 322 - 16K
    Picture 4.png
    961 x 888 - 105K
    Picture 5.png
    986 x 960 - 188K
    Picture 6.png
    197 x 457 - 29K
    Road-Ragin-Raw.jpg
    2000 x 1333 - 2M
    Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 2015

smiley WIP Thread for this challenge is now closed! 

No more WIPs or final entries are going to be considered in voting process. Thank you all for participating and ... Merry Christmas!

merry_X-mas2015.JPG
    1000 x 716 - 426K
    Post edited by pimpy on

nice work evil and diomede :)

this is the cover for mine, mine didnt make it in time, oh well ;)

asteroidcover.jpg
    2000 x 1106 - 774K

Hi Head Wax! Great work but I'm sorry ..wip thread is closed! 

Argh!!! Initializing my final render now... bummer.

pimpy said:

Hi Head Wax! Great work but I'm sorry ..wip thread is closed! 

ha, that's okay :)

Bummer Dart!

Oh well. I had a super-busy month. I didn't really think it was in the cards... but I tried anyways. I had (what I thought was) two hours to finish it, so I got cranking! LOL

I'll still post up my final render and WIP here anyways, even though it cannot be voted upon.

An hour and a bit too late, but here's what my previous WIPs ended up as.

- Build your own character from a State-of-the-Art Customization System

- Pick and choose who joins you, who becomes a contact, who you kick to the side, and who you kill!

- Complete non-linear missions over an evolving arc leading to several possible climactic endings

- Find, buy and sell outrageously cool gear, trinkets, vehicles - customize your experience no matter whom you're playing as

- Nothing beats blowing stuff up. So expect to find and/or craft never-ending ways to see the effects and affects of our dynamic explosion physics engine

- Good guy, Horrific Heroine, Neutral Nerd... you can play as nearly any persona you can dream up - which will not only change how the world sees and treats you, but will also give you an entirely different story for endless playability!

- Make your Run Now!!!