Carrara Challenge #21: “Video Game - Main Scene” - WIP Thread - Closed

Comments

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

Diomede - great work in creating your own character!

• pimpypimpy Posts: 274

@ Diomede : really well done! Bravo yes

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

Yeah, Diomede... Really, Really Cool!!!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited December 2015

Thanks for the nice comments, Headwax, Stezza, PhilW, and Pimpy.  (Edit: and Dart!  Must have been typing at same time)  More progress. 

1)   I created morph zones and morphs for the models. There are separate meshes for the character, the vest, and the eyes.  These placeholder morphs are very important so that the model can be edited using the vertex modeler in the posed position (animation mode in the modeler room).  Once the skeleton is attached, you can't add a morph unless one already exists.

2)  I set up the bone structure for one side and duplicated the limbs with symmetry.  I grouped the unattached mesh and bone skeleton and saved to the browser.

3)  I exited and started a new scene.  I loaded the character group.  I selected the character model group and the bones hip and used animation: attach skeleton

4)  I did a sample pose and rendered with the default distant light.

ff01b model room.jpg
    1278 x 983 - 235K
    ff02b edit morph in animation mode.jpg
    1024 x 948 - 194K
    ff03 render.jpg
    650 x 867 - 23K
    FF04 skeleton.JPG
    1509 x 955 - 169K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

soon you;ll be up there with 3D Universe  !!

to add morphs at later date @Fenric has an unlock plugin which will do it.

I love 3D Universe!  I probably should have used the Toon Gramps character.  http://www.daz3d.com/toon-gramps   Toon Gramps is so much more detailed than my low poly Mr. Grumpy, especially the hands (Westworld, anyone?).  Toon Gramps is almost 50,000 polygons while Mr. Grumpy is just over 2,000.  I am curious about just how much of that extra detail could be accomplished with textures and normal maps rather than modeling.  Maybe I'll try to find out in a future challenge.  

toon gramps comparison.jpg
    600 x 800 - 33K
  • stringtheory9stringtheory9 Posts: 411
    edited December 2015

Wow diomede... good work!

Edit: I just saw your last post. You're not that far off!

Post edited by stringtheory9 on
    edited December 2015
    diomede said:

I love 3D Universe!  I probably should have used the Toon Gramps character.  http://www.daz3d.com/toon-gramps   Toon Gramps is so much more detailed than my low poly Mr. Grumpy, especially the hands (Westworld, anyone?).  Toon Gramps is almost 50,000 polygons while Mr. Grumpy is just over 2,000.  I am curious about just how much of that extra detail could be accomplished with textures and normal maps rather than modeling.  Maybe I'll try to find out in a future challenge.  

great idea :) seeing what predatron does with his meshes!

he probably does this to his joints eg finger knuckles, knees, elbows - to get a better bend (long time since I modelled anything!)

from this site http://www.cgmascot.com/design/low-poly-tips/

Post edited by Headwax on
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

I liked the Westworld reference - love that film!

smiley The Challenge entry submissions are officially OPEN at this link:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/67499/carrara-challenge-21-video-game-main-scene-entry-thread-opens

edited December 2015

In the same claymation-inspired approach, here is the little kid for Mr. Grumpy to chase off of his lawn.  Same basic approach.  This time I started with a cylinder instead of a sphere because little kids don't have beer bellies.  I extruded the limbs.  Then I inserted a sphere as a head and used the bridge tool.  I shaped the face.  Then  I defined the shading domains and uvmapped the model.  I added eyes and hair.  I set some shaders as placeholders.  Still trying to decide if he should be wearing a baseball hat or something similar.  Still need to make a few basic morphs and rig the skeleton.

Now to make the lawn to chase him off of.

kk01 kid start cylinder.JPG
    841 x 928 - 59K
    kk02 kid add hands feet.JPG
    891 x 901 - 68K
    kk03 insert sphere and bridge tool.JPG
    808 x 968 - 66K
    kk04 uvmap.JPG
    1442 x 904 - 137K
    kk05 render test.jpg
    600 x 800 - 21K

love the eyebrows

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,989

looks like a young George Harrison... smiley

edited December 2015

Ha ha I misread the destructions. Anyway I made a cover for a video game. Amongst other things PhilW's wonderful eye shaders, mmoirs' amazing buildings hidden in one of his http://www.daz3d.com/carraras-bmf-landscape-pack  @Dartanbeck put me on to them, the asteroids are organics made in carrara , I made the textures in filter forge, some of the effects are from Ron's brushes, most of the light effects are made in situ in Carrara , I polished up the kid render in Corel Painter 16 :)

Boy with Asteroid Argemennon - what every kid wants for Christmas.

you can see them in situ here http://andrewfinniedemons.blogspot.com.au/2015/12/blog-post.html

The last ones are spehrical renders lot of fun!

edited December 2015

to make the asteroids

go into the vertex room

click on the second from the top left icon 

from the drop down menu choose 'curve'

draw a curve, click away

go MOdel>close curve if the curve is still open (make sure you have all of the curvse selected

then ModeL>Fill Polygon

then Construct>Organic

in The UVee section choose spherical

add your asteroid texture 

use that asteroid texture to make a NOrmal Map 

• head wax said:

to make the asteroids

go into the vertex room

draw a curve, click away

go MOdel>close curve if the curve is still open (make sure you have all of the curvse selected

then ModeL>Fill Polygon

then Construct>Organic

Good and fast directions head wax! For my quick test I continued on with applying the preset Rocks texture "Brown Granite" then edited the texture by only placing a copy of Brown Granite's preset Bump shader (cellular) into the Displacement channel and enabled subdivision.

Fastest asteroid I ever added to a scene. Thanks.

Fantastic work, Andrew! Damn, I love your art!

edited December 2015

Sure hope I can get this done on time. Fun to be doing this after being so absent for so long. I still feel a lot more absent from this forum than I'd like... but I'll take what I can get ;)

Here I've used sort of the same idea for lighting the headlights of this car as what I've used in my streetlights WIP earlier. (How do we get a link to a particular post?)

The difference is that, instead of sending the actual illuminating lights outwards, as would be more realistic, I've aimed them at the headlights and adjusted the half angle and distance to the model to fill the reflector of the lamp. All of the virual light coming from the headlights is off screen, so I don't need that. You'll also notice that I've added a lot more detail to the streets scene. This is a low-res render of the car in a placeholder position, as it may move as the scene matures. It will also benfit from a bit of postwork in the end.

CarLights.jpg
    745 x 1017 - 669K
    CarWIP1.jpg
    720 x 960 - 275K
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on

So there are actually eight lights. Four for the cone effect, four to light the headlight reflectors.

moonglow said:
    head wax said:

to make the asteroids

go into the vertex room

draw a curve, click away

then ModeL>Fill Polygon

then Construct>Organic

Good and fast directions head wax! For my quick test I continued on with applying the preset Rocks texture "Brown Granite" then edited the texture by only placing a copy of Brown Granite's preset Bump shader (cellular) into the Displacement channel and enabled subdivision.

pleasure Moonglow I think @3dage pointed what the organic thing was a few years ago. Carrara is full of 'hidden' gems :)

So there are actually eight lights. Four for the cone effect, four to light the headlight reflectors.

thanks for the explanation dart, effect works really well !

I'm really happy to see so many beautiful works in this challenge! yes

head wax said:
    moonglow said:
    head wax said:

to make the asteroids

go into the vertex room

draw a curve, click away

then ModeL>Fill Polygon

then Construct>Organic

pleasure Moonglow I think @3dage pointed what the organic thing was a few years ago. Carrara is full of 'hidden' gems :)

Right! And the fun thing is that they're all 'hidden' right in front of our noses... we just need to build up the courage to push that elusive button! ;)

edited December 2015

Thank you Headwax and Dart for the explanations.  The organic tool is something I never think to use, yet it has some good applications.  And the muscle car's lights look great.

edited December 2015

Here is another update on my progress.  I am creating the "stage." 

- For the ground, inserted a vertex object and chose construct grid and picked the flat axis.  Expanded the scale and subdivided to get more geometry.

- Created the road, curb, and driveway.  The road is the first few rows so give it a shading domain.  Invert the selection to select everything but the road.  Extruded up once.  This creates the curbs and lawn.  Select road, hit plus a couple times, deselect the road, and then name the curb shading domain.  Select a region that will become the driveway and extrude once, but with shift key so that the extrusion is flat instead of up. Name the driveway shading domain.   

- Create the foundation for the house and the walkway.  Select the region that you want to place the house (mine is L-shaped) and name it Foundation.  I also selected polygons connecting the driveway to the front of the foundation and named it walkway.  I also created to shading domain for gardens along the house but am not using them at the moment.

- Create the lawn.  Select all, then deselect each of the shading domains created so far.  The remainder will be the lawn.  Name the shading domain lawn or grass.  Create uneven ground by using the soft-select tool and randomly selecting polygons and moving them up or down.  In general, the foundation should be higher.

- Restore the foundation to flatness.  Select the Foundation shading domain.  Use the scale tool to make the foundation flat.

- UVMap the ground plane.  Apply shaders to the road, curb, driveway, grass, and foundation (and gardens if created).

- Add grass to the lawn.  Here you have a number of choices.  You can do it with texture maps.  You can model some grass clumps and use the replicator function (and limit the replicators to the grass shading domain).  You can use Carrara hair ( and select the hair region using just the grass shading domain.

In the next post, I will show the house.

SS01 start with grid define foundation.JPG
    1563 x 981 - 150K
    SS02 shading domains ground plane.JPG
    1211 x 906 - 92K
    edited December 2015

For the house, I started by opening the ground object and selecting the foundation shading domain.  I copied that.  I inserted a new vertex object.  I pasted the foundation copied from the ground plane.  (Remember, the foundaiton shading domain should be flat).

- add thickness

- Use extrusion and other modeling tools to create the house, doorway, windows, garage door, and roof.

- Make shading domains for roof, walls, etc.

- I like to have the doors and windows separate objects so they can be opened and closed easily, but in a situation like this I am not sure it matters.

- Here is a neat texture that I made to simulate a house in which the lower half is brick and the upper half is not.  For the walls' shading domain, I created a layer list shader and used the natural function ELEVATION to create the opacity mask.  This created a separate shading component for the upper and lower part of the walls.  Hopefully, you can see the brick on the lower half.

- The grass texture is a mix of two terrain shaders that come with Carrara, but it doesn't matter too much because it will be covered with "grass."

- For the grass, I used Carrara hair set to very large with some frizz in the shader.  The shader has green gradients for root and tip.

- And here is a test render of the house and lawn together.

EDIT: And I added a Carrara tree, changed its textures, lengthened the trunk, and played with the leaf textures.  I also used replicators to scatter leaves on the ground and to create a pile of leaves.  And Mr. Grumpy is standing there waiting for me to model him a rake.

I will need to revisit all of the textures and a few of the models.

ss03 house modeled from foundation.JPG
    1552 x 927 - 170K
    ss05 shader tree elevation.JPG
    837 x 336 - 35K
    ss07 with grass.jpg
    640 x 480 - 36K
    ss08 test render with grumpy.jpg
    800 x 600 - 95K

Superb work diomede, I never knew you could do that with an elevation thing, and never heard of the opacity mask! Must investigate. The whole scen looks magnificent. 

thanks for the lesson!

layerlist.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 213K

As usual great work and very usefull informations. Thank you Diomede smiley