December 2015 New User Contest - Free Render Month (WIP Thread)

Comments

• I decided against the surfer guy... it was really just a joke anyway as everyone is talking of snow and I'm sitting hear in shorts and t-shirt trying to keep my harddrive cool :) Anyway, decided to work on one that I've based on an old painting.

First render attached... I've got to get rid of the pixelating and I want to try and add rain.

WinterStreetFull01.jpg
    1200 x 720 - 145K
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,802
    TreeDee said:

I decided against the surfer guy... it was really just a joke anyway as everyone is talking of snow and I'm sitting hear in shorts and t-shirt trying to keep my harddrive cool :) Anyway, decided to work on one that I've based on an old painting.

First render attached... I've got to get rid of the pixelating and I want to try and add rain.

Well yes, that's how this winter looks so far here in Mid-Europe, well in the moment its not to bad with the rain. Lovely start on this one, I really like the water flooding that walkway. Is this in Iray or 3dlight?

• Thanks Linwelly... it's rendered in iray. Inspired by paintings by Tae Park. Stay warm :)

TreeDee said:

Thanks Linwelly... it's rendered in iray. Inspired by paintings by Tae Park. Stay warm :)

Thanks,  its surprisingly warm for December, last night was starbright and 8°C in the morning...

as for the pixel, I cant really help you as I'm not working with iray. For 3dlight I would have had some ideas

• AtiAti Posts: 9,083
    Linwelly said:

Well yes, that's how this winter looks so far here in Mid-Europe

Mid-Europe? Which country are you from, if it's not a secret? :)

A little off-topic: if anyone wants to get photoshop/gimp brushes for postwork, now is the time to do so.

70% off: http://www.daz3d.com/deviney

• isidornisidorn Posts: 1,601

I think it's most of europe. I live in the northen half of Sweden and although we had a bit of cold (-10C) for a couple of days two weeks ago, it has mostly been around 0-4C since November. We got a bit of snow last week but then it rained and turned everything to ice. It's mostly melted away now though, luckily.

TreeDee, I liked your surfer guy! ;) The new project looks good though. Will be interesting to see what you come up with. Added rain would definitely be a nice addition to it.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 2015

The weather is really mucking things up in the UK as well.  Had to giggle at this.  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-35020157

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252

-=-

Here's my two newest renders, trying to add HDRI sky/lighting as well for the first time.

Of these two lates I prefer the 2nd.  That pipe is an unfortunate position in the first render.

Chohole said:

The weather is really mucking things up in the UK as well.  Had to giggle at this.  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-35020157

Hehe, yeah it's no fun times for those maintaining outdoor winter sports facilities. Maybe they should open a water skiing park instead?

TreeDee said:

I decided against the surfer guy... it was really just a joke anyway as everyone is talking of snow and I'm sitting hear in shorts and t-shirt trying to keep my harddrive cool :) Anyway, decided to work on one that I've based on an old painting.

I also like the surfer dude but this new one is very promising.

The darker the scene in iray the longer it needs to render to get rid of the pixelation.

• TreeDee said:

The darker the scene in iray the longer it needs to render to get rid of the pixelation.

Thanks all who commented... hate to say it but I live by the beach so the surfer guy is all I see... wanted to try something else :)

Thanks Kismet re the pixelation but that was a completed render. I have a geometry shell over the buildings to get it wet but it's not working as well as I was hoping... anyway, I'm adding rain and that seems to be fixing the problem... that and changing the windows on the geometry shell to emissive. New render underway.

• Hi all.  I realize this will not be submitted for the competition, but I am still moving along with the tutorial from last month laugh 

I fixed the last remaining pokethroughs on the boots with DFormers, and worked on the SSS skin.  

Nelly2_Full_SSS_Skin_768X1024.jpg
    768 x 1024 - 385K
  • dHandledHandle Posts: 617

Hi all.  I realize this will not be submitted for the competition, but I am still moving along with the tutorial from last month laugh 

I fixed the last remaining pokethroughs on the boots with DFormers, and worked on the SSS skin.  

HA!  I had (have?) every intention of continuing to work on this project from last month, too, but I got side tracked by that Star Wars project I started.  And I would really like to do something for this month's project as well.  Shees! Too many irons in the fire, and nothing to show for it...

• -=-

Here's my two newest renders, trying to add HDRI sky/lighting as well for the first time.

Of these two lates I prefer the 2nd.  That pipe is an unfortunate position in the first render.

I went on working from the 2nd, to get to this. Might go changing her outfit thou...

dec2015e.jpg
    1026 x 872 - 551K
  • Well, I've been playing with textures.  I think I'm close to getting the snow somewhat realistic.  Unfortunately, I crashed my computer just when I got all of the surface settings just the way I liked it and, of course, the crash happened before I added the Above The Fog and started fiddling with it.  Here is a render with my texture added to it.  Now I have to go back and try to figure out how I had the settings so that the fog actually looked more solid like snow instead of transparent fog.  I'll work on it tomorrow.  After all the rendering time I spent in Filter Forge working on the texture and all of the maps, I have absolutely no desire to play with this anymore tonight.  Tomorrow, I'll add my Christmas decorations on the cabin and maybe see about putting some animals around the cabin.  Once I get the snow right, I'll see about unhiding all of the trees and run a full out test render.

The first render is the last render I had saved before the crash.  My texture was applied, but I had the settings so that it was just way too shiny.  I was trying to go for wet snow, but that went a little too far.  The second render is what I did after the crash which was basically load Above the Fog back in and add my texture and maps to the surface settings.  Now I have to go in and keep it fluffy looking but solid and add some moisture without it looking too wet.

WinterCabin04.jpg
    1077 x 882 - 652K
    WinterCabin05.jpg
    943 x 882 - 446K

I went on working from the 2nd, to get to this. Might go changing her outfit thou...

This is just a personal preference. Even though I always appreciate some nice cleavage I think the set works better with the man alone. I don't really know how to explain it. Something like, a single person is more exposed, vulnerable, adding more tention to the scene. Is he waiting for someone? A friend? Or a foe? Or is he possibly even an assasin sent to snuff Santa as he comes down the chimney? Things like that.

But I don't know what story you have in mind for the scene so please feel free to ignore me. :)

Knittingmommy, that second one looks really promising. It will be interesting to see how it develops.

• The first render is the last render I had saved before the crash.  My texture was applied, but I had the settings so that it was just way too shiny.  I was trying to go for wet snow, but that went a little too far.  The second render is what I did after the crash which was basically load Above the Fog back in and add my texture and maps to the surface settings.  Now I have to go in and keep it fluffy looking but solid and add some moisture without it looking too wet.

The second render looks much more cosy :) That first one looks a little desolate... and cold :|

It would be nice to see some snow covered trees but not sure how hard that is.

• First try

december.jpg
    1200 x 1484 - 706K

The first render is the last render I had saved before the crash.  My texture was applied, but I had the settings so that it was just way too shiny.  I was trying to go for wet snow, but that went a little too far.  The second render is what I did after the crash which was basically load Above the Fog back in and add my texture and maps to the surface settings.  Now I have to go in and keep it fluffy looking but solid and add some moisture without it looking too wet.

The second one looks much betten, in my opinion.

There are too many repeating patterns in the first one. (Water and snowpiles.)

Ati said:
    Linwelly said:

Well yes, that's how this winter looks so far here in Mid-Europe

Mid-Europe? Which country are you from, if it's not a secret? :)

Not a secret ;-) I'm from germany.

-=-

I like the opening to the sky very much, but I'm with Isi on the girl, let him sit alone and let the empty space do the work.

First try

My mind does strange things sometimes.. Zombies on Ice..

Ok, seriously, I like tha atmosphere of humid cold, this transports. I don't see yet a connection between the dragon an the zombie, do they have a connection? Try as well to remember the composition where the most interesting parts should be on the crossing points of the thirds grid.

TreeDee said:
    TreeDee said:

Thanks all who commented... hate to say it but I live by the beach so the surfer guy is all I see... wanted to try something else :)

Thanks Kismet re the pixelation but that was a completed render. I have a geometry shell over the buildings to get it wet but it's not working as well as I was hoping... anyway, I'm adding rain and that seems to be fixing the problem... that and changing the windows on the geometry shell to emissive. New render underway.

Adding more light should help with the pixelation.  I was hesitant to suggest it because I was worried it would ruin the moody atmosphere you have created.  But turning the windows into emissives is a brilliant idea.  Well done.

Hi all.  I realize this will not be submitted for the competition, but I am still moving along with the tutorial from last month laugh 

The WIP thread is for exactly that...WIPS.  They do not have to be images that will be submited to the Entry Thread.

This is a place for trying out ideas, getting some feedback and seeing what works.

I am glad you are continuing on with the DollyGirls tuturoial.  I find if I do not stick with something like that I never get back to it even though I have the best of intentions.

As dHandle said, "Too many irons in the fire"

-=-

I like the addition of the female character but be careful of the tanget created with the edge of the image and the top of her head.

If you do not want to change the camera angle, then perhaps you could have her crouching or leaning forward slightly.

Well, I've been playing with textures.  I think I'm close to getting the snow somewhat realistic.  Unfortunately, I crashed my computer just when I got all of the surface settings just the way I liked it and, of course, the crash happened before I added the Above The Fog and started fiddling with it.  Here is a render with my texture added to it.  Now I have to go back and try to figure out how I had the settings so that the fog actually looked more solid like snow instead of transparent fog.  I'll work on it tomorrow.  After all the rendering time I spent in Filter Forge working on the texture and all of the maps, I have absolutely no desire to play with this anymore tonight.  Tomorrow, I'll add my Christmas decorations on the cabin and maybe see about putting some animals around the cabin.  Once I get the snow right, I'll see about unhiding all of the trees and run a full out test render.

Sorry to hear about the crash.  I try to save just before hitting the render button but not always...and it seems like the time I did not is when it crashes.

Something else I do sometimes and others have done is to have more than 1 version of a scene, ie:  test1, test2, test3 kind of thing.  That way if they do not like the changes they made they can go back to a previous version.  One person I knew would have 4 working copies he cycled through.  When he got to 4 he would go back to 1.

First try

What story are you trying to tell? 

Because the Zombie has his back to the dragon I do not see/feel any kind of connection between them.  Is the Dragon the Zombie's pet?  Is the Zombie about to become the Dragon's meal?

I really like the silhouette of the dragon in the distance. 

• TreeDee said:

The second render looks much more cosy :) That first one looks a little desolate... and cold :|

It would be nice to see some snow covered trees but not sure how hard that is.

I have the snow covered trees so not hard at all.  Just have to hide them while fine tuning everything.  They take up a lot of resources and bog down my computer.  They will be in the next render because I want to see how everything looks together once I get the snow all sorted out.  Since I was just working on the snow, trying to get the texture right, I only did a quick render to just the current state of the snow to see what I still had to tweak.

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    edited December 2015

TreeDee and Ati- yes, I like the second one as well.  I think it turned out really well.  I just need to get it more solid.

Kismet - yes, I have actually done that with a few renders.  Last monthOctober's contest, I had three different versions of my vampire going.  I didn't do that with this one yet since I was still in just the early stages.  However, when I start back today, I will be saving and working on a second version so I can go back to the way it looks now because I do like how the snow is looking for the most part.

edit: aparently I don't know what month I'm in.

Post edited by Knittingmommy on