December 2015 New User Contest - Free Render Month (WIP Thread)

Comments

• Updated version. The girls have something to sit on, and a few other minor tweeks.

Snow in the Park (1).jpg
    794 x 1032 - 257K
  • Thanks for the feedback.

I worked on the pose and camera angle a bit more. Also I tried to blend the background more. 

decembertest7.jpg
    1200 x 1484 - 1M
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,802

Thanks for the feedback.

I worked on the pose and camera angle a bit more. Also I tried to blend the background more. 

The Background definitely works better now and things are more in touch. But I guess she lost touch with the ground? I'm not sure if that was intentional but it looks a bit strange to have her floating. I'm not sure what to make of her hair in this, I guess you mean it to be frozen as well? like this ot a bit ballooning around the body. Maybe try to increase the ambient a bit into a whitish colour to give it the frost effect (that is in 3dlight)

As an additional idea, have you tried framing her with that doorway?

Stargazey said:

Updated version. The girls have something to sit on, and a few other minor tweeks.

I feel better for them having something to sit on ;-). There is something that I wonder how it happens, there seem to be differen stiles of "realistic " at work in your render, while the people and the trees in the foreground fit together, the building and the background have a style fitting. Are there different lights at work? some shadows turned of? I'm not sure.

Fishtales said:

This is my type of winter scene :)

Click on image for full size.

Great material here! Well I could use that for Christmas as well, but I got to say that my booty is below surface while swimming ;-)

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,045
    Linwelly said:
    Fishtales said:

Great material here! Well I could use that for Christmas as well, but I got to say that my booty is below surface while swimming ;-)

Depends on size I suppose :)

• Linwelly said:

Thanks for the feedback.

The Background definitely works better now and things are more in touch. But I guess she lost touch with the ground? I'm not sure if that was intentional but it looks a bit strange to have her floating. I'm not sure what to make of her hair in this, I guess you mean it to be frozen as well? like this ot a bit ballooning around the body. Maybe try to increase the ambient a bit into a whitish colour to give it the frost effect (that is in 3dlight)

As an additional idea, have you tried framing her with that doorway?

She's on the ground, but for some reason indeed. Maybe with a change of light. The hair is as it was intended, for the frozen look I'm trying some geometry shells. Same for the clothes enz. I framed here with the doorway and some pillars and it does look better, thanks. 

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    PAPAJohn said:

hi;

My name is PAPAJohn, fairly new at DAZ. I'm not sure if this is where I should enter the contest. attached is an example f what I learned using Bryce 7 Pro and DAZ 4.8. the Titles are "A New Morning" and Cinderella's Castle

I'm interested in opinions( or Sugestions)on how I'm doing.

my email is [email protected]                                                                           Thank Y'all

Welcome PapaJohn. 

You have a nice start to both of these images.  I like the reflections in the window of your first image.  If you put the cat on the lower right point rather than the lower left it would allow more room for the viewer's eye to follow where the cat's interest is being drawn by the bird flying by outside the window.

In the 2nd image you do have the pumpkin carriage on one of the points of interest.  The harness on your unicorn/horse does not appear to be attached and the carriage looks odd with no driver.  Is it meant to be a case of the unicorn/horse breaking free?

You have a nice start to these images.  Is there anything in particular you are looking for help or advice?

We do not get a lot of Bryce users but there is help available if needed.

Okay, latest render.  I stopped it before it finished, but ran it long enough to see how new elements were going.  I think I like the light in the window.  Was trying to go for reflections from a fire in the fireplace kind of lighting.  I won't know for sure until I let it run to the end.  I tried the Blowin' in the Wind Tool.  I've had it for awhile, but hadn't played with it yet.  I don't really like the snow flakes as they are too large.  I will have to play with it more.  I am going to have to change the cabin's position though or fill in that landscaping in the background that is just bare.  I would just expand out the 'fog' layer, but I'm afraid I might stretch out my resources.  We'll see if I crash again.  Getting that extra 16GB of memory is looking more and more like a must have buy in the near future as my current 16 GB is pushing it's limits since I'm running Iray on a CPU only system.  I am going to take out the snow and render out a non snow scene and see what I can do with Gimp and Ron's Magical Snow brushes.  I bought the Winter Bundle awhile back so I have all of the winter brushes and I'm slowly getting better at using brushes.  While I'm in there I'll add smoke in the chimney because so far I haven't really liked anything I've tried for the chimney smoke yet.  I do still have a couple of more products to try, though, so one never knows.

I'd never heard of the Blowin in the Wind tool...added to my wishlist.  Thanks knittingmommy.  wink

Your image is coming along quite nicely.  I like the changes you have made and am looking forward to the next version.

h_habash said:

I'm working in this new scene which I've been working on it for some days adding effects and tweaking them here and there, and still under construction. for this render decided to stop it at 77% where I've noticed there is some couple of things missing or not right in it, one of the thing is the rain I will adjust the spread of the rain to the whole scene instead of the them falling mostly at the far back laugh, and another thing is the light and the water in the street I'll take care of them also.

Any way here's what I did so far.

The rain falling only in the back does look odd but I love the puddle and the pose on the guy trying to desperately avoid it.

This Iray render just finished.  I have made some changes based on feedback and my own.  I saved off the fur as an .OBJ and applied the Iray Uber Base Shader.  Now the strands of fur stand out.  I closed the rabbit's mouth as the teeth are not correct (as mentioned by Linwelly).  To add more appeal I added a fallen tree branch for the Hare to negotiate.  I changed the rabbits pose accordingly and the rider although I am still finished with that yet. I decided to have her hang on to the rabbits fur.  I gave a slight squint to the eye as this is more realistic with the rabbit in motion. Also added DOF.

I have a question regarding the Genesis skin surface (I used V5 for the rider).  I am thinking that Genesis (V5) skin is not setup for Iray of course but should I use the same technique that we used in the SSS tutorial last month from Age of Armour?  I am unsure about this?  I was also wondering whether to switch out Genesis with GF2 or maybe even GF3?  Although the rider is quite far away to see much detail.  

Thats a little strange?  I see some polys extending from the head of the rabbit.. just thin streaks!  This was after exporting the OBJ in LAMH.  Has anyone seen that kind of problem before?  It looks like the hair went a little crazy and needs clipping surprise  

Thanks again!

Her pose looks much better.

Fishtales said:
    Linwelly said:
    Fishtales said:

Depends on size I suppose :)

I agree with Linwelly about the swimmer.  Nice ripples in the water and a great scene outside the window.

Stargazey said:

Updated version. The girls have something to sit on, and a few other minor tweeks.

Nice use of the trees to frame your image.

Thanks for the feedback.

This has turned into a very poignant image. 

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    edited December 2015

So, I rendered out my scene without the snow.  I didn't render it fully but I did give it a couple of hours so it is a pretty decent render.  Then I took it into Gimp and played with Ron's snow and frost brushes from his Winter bundle.  I may have gone a tad overboard on the snow, but at least now I know I like the postwork version of the snow better and I think I can do okay with it.  I added some icicles and frost on the window and support posts for the cabin porch.  Now I just have to make some minor adjustments and get a view that I like and render it out fully.  Then I will take that back into Gimp and add some snow, not quite as much this time, and see how it looks.  I'm still struggling with the spots of the fog that don't quite look like snow.  I'll see if I can figure out how to fix those areas.  But it is looking fairly good.

Ati - The trees are from Winterland by Alessandro_AM.  They are straight out of the box.  The only thing I did was hit is with the Iray Uber Shader so that it would render in Iray and I didn't have to play with any of the textures in the trees at all.

Edit: forgot to add that I'm still planning on adding an animal or two now that I have most of the logistics of the main components worked out.

WinterCabin08withsnow.jpg
    1500 x 844 - 623K
    Post edited by Knittingmommy on
  • AtiAti Posts: 9,083

Ati - The trees are from Winterland by Alessandro_AM.  They are straight out of the box.  The only thing I did was hit is with the Iray Uber Shader so that it would render in Iray and I didn't have to play with any of the textures in the trees at all.

Thank you. I put it on my wishlist. I don't have an actual use for them, but they look really nice.

• h_habashh_habash Posts: 230
    h_habash said:

I'm working in this new scene which I've been working on it for some days adding effects and tweaking them here and there, and still under construction. for this render decided to stop it at 77% where I've noticed there is some couple of things missing or not right in it, one of the thing is the rain I will adjust the spread of the rain to the whole scene instead of the them falling mostly at the far back laugh, and another thing is the light and the water in the street I'll take care of them also.

Any way here's what I did so far.

The rain falling only in the back does look odd but I love the puddle and the pose on the guy trying to desperately avoid it.

Thanks Kismet, I'm working on the rain issue right now as I've finished adding some additional props like stree plant pots and street lights, I will post it as soon as I solve the rain issue.

• Tried to do something of a mix of the last two ideas. I'll admit that I kit-bashed the outfit for the new guy in the back.

dec2015g.jpg
    1026 x 872 - 578K

There is nothing wrong with kitbashing.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

There is nothing wrong with kitbashing.

Absolutely true.  I actually look at outfits and think of all the different way I can put them together and use them in different ways

• I did some IRay work with my kitbashed outfit.  Going to go back in after posting this to do more IRaying.

dec2015h.jpg
    1026 x 872 - 576K
  • Here's the results of last night's IRaying.

dec2015i.jpg
    1026 x 872 - 561K
  • isidornisidorn Posts: 1,601

I like the changes to the sitting guy's clothes, even though they maybe became a bit too dark? And in contrast, the knee pads became very shiny and I think that became rather distracting.

But on the whole, I think you got an interesting, atmospheric image going here and it makes me wonder what kind of mission they are on and what the story behind it could be. Images that sets the viewer's mind in motion is always a good image. Though I still do prefer the lone guy version. wink

• Shinji Ikari 9thShinji Ikari 9th Posts: 1,166
    edited December 2015
    isidorn said:

I like the changes to the sitting guy's clothes, even though they maybe became a bit too dark? And in contrast, the knee pads became very shiny and I think that became rather distracting.

But on the whole, I think you got an interesting, atmospheric image going here and it makes me wonder what kind of mission they are on and what the story behind it could be. Images that sets the viewer's mind in motion is always a good image. Though I still do prefer the lone guy version. wink

Looks like I'm going to be iraying some more tonight.
    Post edited by Shinji Ikari 9th on
  • Okay I have been using Daz3d maybe 6 months seriously, although I tried it out several years ago. Thought I might try this contest thing.  I love what you guys are doing.

This is my first draft.  The castle is kit-bashed because the other one I purchased didn't load correctly.  This one adds more character.

Mainly I like the composition but several things need to be better.  Mainly it needs a background which I will do in Terragen, and the lighting which has been a chore, snow is very touchy.  I will break this down into four or layers to be lit individually.  The character's nose needs to be fixed.  Her hair looks like a glitch.  There is a spell effect I wish to add last. The background is perhaps too clear.  I will experiment with adding dust and smoke effects to make it more photographic. The trees are too bright... changing texture.  Fireflies need to go.  There is a section of ground under the castle I want to replace.  There is meant to be an icy lake in the background.  I may have to add this as a separate layer, because it is very snowy despite repeatedly changing textures and mirror images.  And it needs more snow on tree sections and flat building surfaces.

1090327_10153924419617275_1008220466_o.jpg
    1500 x 1200 - 320K

Welcome mkatzberg! It's a very good decision to come join us here in the New User Contest. :)

I have to say, that certainly is an... interesting looking nose.

• isidorn said:

Welcome mkatzberg! It's a very good decision to come join us here in the New User Contest. :)

I have to say, that certainly is an... interesting looking nose.

I... agree with isidorn, her nose is... interesting.

Anyhow welcome mkatzberg to the NUC. Win or lose, you're sure to be picking up something new to improve your work. I know that I sure have in the years I've been giving them a shot. I wish you well.

• isidorn said:

Looks like I'm going to be iraying some more tonight.

Here's my new version, with more work done on the sitter.

dec2015j.jpg
    1026 x 872 - 578K

Here's my new version, with more work done on the sitter.

Only a bit of nit picking. There's a small bit of the sofa peeking up above his shoulder (on the left side of the render. his right shoulder) that's a little bit distracting. No major disturbance though and it could probably be removed in postwork without it looking odd it's not there.

But otherwise I think, with the exception of the shiny knee pads in that previous render, that all three of your latest version could very well be called done. I think you're at the point now where you need to decide when to finish or else you might as well end up tweaking things for years to come. (I will assume I'm not the only one that has trouble finishing renders because there's always "just one more tweak and it'll be better...")

mkatzberg said:

Okay I have been using Daz3d maybe 6 months seriously, although I tried it out several years ago. Thought I might try this contest thing.  I love what you guys are doing.

This is my first draft.  The castle is kit-bashed because the other one I purchased didn't load correctly.  This one adds more character.

Mainly I like the composition but several things need to be better.  Mainly it needs a background which I will do in Terragen, and the lighting which has been a chore, snow is very touchy.  I will break this down into four or layers to be lit individually.  The character's nose needs to be fixed.  Her hair looks like a glitch.  There is a spell effect I wish to add last. The background is perhaps too clear.  I will experiment with adding dust and smoke effects to make it more photographic. The trees are too bright... changing texture.  Fireflies need to go.  There is a section of ground under the castle I want to replace.  There is meant to be an icy lake in the background.  I may have to add this as a separate layer, because it is very snowy despite repeatedly changing textures and mirror images.  And it needs more snow on tree sections and flat building surfaces.

Welcome to the new user contest! Yes from what you mention you obviously have gathered quite a lot of knowledge, and this is a very nice start. Let me ask which renderer you are using Iray or 3dlight? If this is 3dlight I have the impression you have the shadows of your lights not activated, or the ambient values of her skin and the rocks are really high. Some ideas ybout the compsition you might consider: right now you cut of one of her feet which is a bit unfortunate. If you dont want the full figure in the render rather make the cut below the knees. Maybe this would work better in a portrait format, including the complete figure. That could help you as well to move the ladys head to one of the sweet spots on the yellow third grid. To balance the render I would try to move the caslte way from the line of the lady rather to the right side. Hope this helps you.