December 2015 New User Contest - Free Render Month (WIP Thread)

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

edit: aparently I don't know what month I'm in.

You'll have to look out, we are approaching that time of year when I tend to not know what year we are in.

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    Chohole said:

You'll have to look out, we are approaching that time of year when I tend to not know what year we are in.

You are in good company.  I keep forgetting what day of the week it is.  image

• Yes, it takes me a little acclimation time before I start writing the year correctly.  Usually by March, my brain catches on that I have to actually change the date to the current year before I actually write it down.  blush

• Linwelly said:
    Ati said:
    Linwelly said:

Well yes, that's how this winter looks so far here in Mid-Europe

Mid-Europe? Which country are you from, if it's not a secret? :)

Not a secret ;-) I'm from germany.

You don't say. As it is, I've lived in the US all my life but as I understand it my ancestory is mostly german.

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,802
    Chohole said:

You are in good company.  I keep forgetting what day of the week it is.  image

I usually forget my age, I have to go back to my birth year and calculate... changes to quickly no use remembering it

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,802
    Linwelly said:
    Ati said:
    Linwelly said:

You don't say. As it is, I've lived in the US all my life but as I understand it my ancestory is mostly german.

From your username I would have thougth something asian, but then my username is a fairy

• Linwelly said:
    Linwelly said:
    Ati said:
    Linwelly said:

From your username I would have thougth something asian, but then my username is a fairy

Mine is from a fan fiction idea that I've all but given up on writing. It was for one of the main characters.
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

My parents were from Germany.  I'm the first person in my family born in the US.  Travelled back and forth quite a bit as a child and teenager.  Maybe some day I will be able to go again. 

• TreeDee said:

Thanks Kismet re the pixelation but that was a completed render. I have a geometry shell over the buildings to get it wet but it's not working as well as I was hoping... anyway, I'm adding rain and that seems to be fixing the problem... that and changing the windows on the geometry shell to emissive. New render underway.

Adding more light should help with the pixelation.  I was hesitant to suggest it because I was worried it would ruin the moody atmosphere you have created.  But turning the windows into emissives is a brilliant idea.  Well done.

I have added rain and bumped up the window emission and that's hidden any pixelation :) Still not happy with the rain but here's my latest. Am thinking I may have to do some postwork for the rain.

WinterStreetRain12.jpg
    600 x 360 - 235K
    edited December 2015

Okay worked on this just a tiny bit more.  I also rendered each element in png pormat so that when I add the snow etc. I can add it in between elements.  I need to work on the depth of field to push the mountains back and blur them a bit.  i could do it in photoshop easy enough but I want to learn dof and more about cameras.  So far I have only been using the main viewport.  I need to go read through the dof thread from Sept I think it was?  It was the month before I started doing these.  Will be using Kath's hair brushes on teh wolves to tidy them up a bit and make the hair not quite so wispy. Still need footprints and to make indents where their feet are.  Will probably add some rocks etc to break up the ground but will have to do that in photo shop since I dont think I have any actual stones in my runtime at the moment.  Might give Hexagon a run to make some boulders and see what happens. I still feel like its missing ... something lol.  And the mountain is far too white compared to the rest.  Not sure if dof will help that or not.

Base Storyboard for Winter Wolves.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 983K
    Post edited by Chohole on
    TreeDee said:
    TreeDee said:

Thanks Kismet re the pixelation but that was a completed render. I have a geometry shell over the buildings to get it wet but it's not working as well as I was hoping... anyway, I'm adding rain and that seems to be fixing the problem... that and changing the windows on the geometry shell to emissive. New render underway.

Adding more light should help with the pixelation.  I was hesitant to suggest it because I was worried it would ruin the moody atmosphere you have created.  But turning the windows into emissives is a brilliant idea.  Well done.

I have added rain and bumped up the window emission and that's hidden any pixelation :) Still not happy with the rain but here's my latest. Am thinking I may have to do some postwork for the rain.

This makes me want to climb into fuzzy pj's and curl up next to the fire with a good book and a hot chocolate!

First try

You could put just the tip or first half of a sword in the foreground as if there is someone getting ready to fight the zombie. Or the dragon lol.

TreeDee and Ati- yes, I like the second one as well.  I think it turned out really well.  I just need to get it more solid.

Kismet - yes, I have actually done that with a few renders.  Last monthOctober's contest, I had three different versions of my vampire going.  I didn't do that with this one yet since I was still in just the early stages.  However, when I start back today, I will be saving and working on a second version so I can go back to the way it looks now because I do like how the snow is looking for the most part.

I like the second one as well.  The first one is definitely desolate though and beautiful in its own way.  And some days I am happy I can remember my name much less what day month or year it is lol.

-=-

Here's my two newest renders, trying to add HDRI sky/lighting as well for the first time.

Of these two lates I prefer the 2nd.  That pipe is an unfortunate position in the first render.

I went on working from the 2nd, to get to this. Might go changing her outfit thou...

I like the addition of the female character but be careful of the tanget created with the edge of the image and the top of her head.

If you do not want to change the camera angle, then perhaps you could have her crouching or leaning forward slightly.

I'm torn I like them  both, with and without the additional figure.  (helpful, I know!).

• AtiAti Posts: 9,083
    TreeDee said:
    TreeDee said:

Wow... That's pretty much my first impression of this. :) Looks amazing! Great job!

Will probably add some rocks etc to break up the ground but will have to do that in photo shop since I dont think I have any actual stones in my runtime at the moment. 

Is this 3Delight, or iray? If 3Delight, then head over to the fastgrab section, and grab the Rock and Grass bundle 70% off. :) (I'm not on a computer where I can try it, but the rock promo images and the online documentation show really great rocks.)

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,653

Okay worked on this just a tiny bit more.  I also rendered each element in png pormat so that when I add the snow etc. I can add it in between elements.  I need to work on the depth of field to push the mountains back and blur them a bit.  i could do it in photoshop easy enough but I want to learn dof and more about cameras.  So far I have only been using the main viewport.  I need to go read through the dof thread from Sept I think it was?  It was the month before I started doing these.  Will be using Kath's hair brushes on teh wolves to tidy them up a bit and make the hair not quite so wispy. Still need footprints and to make indents where their feet are.  Will probably add some rocks etc to break up the ground but will have to do that in photo shop since I dont think I have any actual stones in my runtime at the moment.  Might give Hexagon a run to make some boulders and see what happens. I still feel like its missing ... something lol.  And the mountain is far too white compared to the rest.  Not sure if dof will help that or not.

WOW Amazing render Sonja I am looking forward to seeing more of this render!!!

WOW Amazing render Sonja I am looking forward to seeing more of this render!!!

Thank you!  Still in the very early, rough stage

Ati said:

Ati said:

Will probably add some rocks etc to break up the ground but will have to do that in photo shop since I dont think I have any actual stones in my runtime at the moment. 

Is this 3Delight, or iray? If 3Delight, then head over to the fastgrab section, and grab the Rock and Grass bundle 70% off. :) (I'm not on a computer where I can try it, but the rock promo images and the online documentation show really great rocks.)

3Delight and thank you!  Off to have a look!

• Joe WebbJoe Webb Posts: 837
    edited December 2015

Well, there is certainly a lot to absorb in this thread, things move fast.

Here is my first try. Years ago I had written a role playing adventure featuring Santa Claus in the far future, so here he is in his red space suit. I love AntFarms Heavy Mech, and was reading about Santa's traditional companions (Krampus featured in that horror movie, farmer Rupert, the Devil, etc.), so I added the Mech as his "companion". And I threw in the Starship Vampire to make it clearer Santa is in a space suit.

There are some obvious problems, like his beard in the suit. Another is the way his pointing hand nearly disappears as it is straight at the camera. And the placement of the ship; I may replace it with something else, or set the whole scene in space - somehow.

First is the base render, with no background. The second I've gone over it a little with some of those great Deviny Winter Collection brushes.

Any critique or suggestion is welcome.

EDIT: I forgot to add I was thinking of adding some texture to the spacesuit, it looks so clean, but not sure if that would be worth it if its going to be covered by snow flakes. I could just make the image a portrait and put Santa right up next to the Mech, so the texture of the suit would show up.

Ya Better Not Poutb_base.jpg
    1236 x 763 - 506K
    Ya Better Not Pout.jpg
    1236 x 763 - 607K
    Post edited by Joe Webb on
    TreeDee said:
    TreeDee said:

The rain is a little thick, it might be easier to control if you do it in post. The glow from the windows seems a little much to me. Otherwise I love this scene, very well done.

This is a nice start, Ice, but I don't think you need to add anything. Its just a matter of placement. DOF will help with that white moutain, and give dimension with the trees if the one in the foreground is out of focus and the ones behind are a little. In my image I was going to buy a snow shader but I realized I had some snowy items already and used the ground base from Shelter. Even if I didn't already have it, buying that instead of a shader set would have been cheaper anyway.

As to placement look at the Rule of Three and/or the Golden Ratio to give you an idea of placement. Maybe having the wolves more facing the camera, one looking at us? But thats just a random thought, you've got a good image going there.

Joe Webb said:

Here is my first try. Years ago I had written a role playing adventure featuring Santa Claus in the far future, so here he is in his red space suit. I love AntFarms Heavy Mech, and was reading about Santa's traditional companions (Krampus featured in that horror movie, farmer Rupert, the Devil, etc.), so I added the Mech as his "companion". And I threw in the Starship Vampire to make it clearer Santa is in a space suit.

There are some obvious problems, like his beard in the suit. Another is the way his pointing hand nearly disappears as it is straight at the camera. And the placement of the ship; I may replace it with something else, or set the whole scene in space - somehow.

First is the base render, with no background. The second I've gone over it a little with some of those great Deviny Winter Collection brushes.

EDIT: I forgot to add I was thinking of adding some texture to the spacesuit, it looks so clean, but not sure if that would be worth it if its going to be covered by snow flakes. I could just make the image a portrait and put Santa right up next to the Mech, so the texture of the suit would show up.

I think the beard would be easy enough to fix in postwork.  Not sure how else you would be able to get inside (or outside) the suit.   I'm not sure we would be able to see the dirt with the snow either.  I realy like this, I like the spaceship in the background and the play of the red suit for Santa.

Joe Webb said:

This is a nice start, Ice, but I don't think you need to add anything. Its just a matter of placement. DOF will help with that white moutain, and give dimension with the trees if the one in the foreground is out of focus and the ones behind are a little. In my image I was going to buy a snow shader but I realized I had some snowy items already and used the ground base from Shelter. Even if I didn't already have it, buying that instead of a shader set would have been cheaper anyway.

As to placement look at the Rule of Three and/or the Golden Ratio to give you an idea of placement. Maybe having the wolves more facing the camera, one looking at us? But thats just a random thought, you've got a good image going there.

Thank you!  The wolves are placed directly over the bottom third ruler but I like the idea of turning the head of one of them a bit more toward the viewer.  Probably can't do anything more til at least Friday.  I'm off work but have an early a.m. appt and then have to run the dog to the vet so not sure how much will get done then.

• Joe Webb said:
    TreeDee said:
    TreeDee said:

The rain is a little thick, it might be easier to control if you do it in post. The glow from the windows seems a little much to me. Otherwise I love this scene, very well done.

Thanks for your supportive comments Sonja, Ati and Joe... I was pretty chuffed with the render myself :)

Thanks for that input Joe. I have been playing with the rain in photoshop and have got some really nice effects... I agree re the windows but I needed that much light to get the right effect... I'm looking at fixing that in photoshop also.... This post work adds a whole new dimension :)

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    edited December 2015
    TreeDee said:

I actually like the blur you're getting with the rain.  I think it is coming along nicely.  There are also some nice reflections on the ground water going on as well.

This is coming along nicely, Sonja.  I really want to see how you do the snow.  If possible, try adding some depressions for footprints, too.  I think that would look nice.  If you think the snow on the mountain is too white, try finding that surface on the mountain and just click on the color base and use the arrow on the slider to just tone it down a notch. 

Joe Webb said:

Interesting concept, Joe.  Looks promising.

Joe Webb said:

I think adding in some grunge will still add to the dimension of the piece even if you can't see it that well.  Ron's brushes are great and if you have the grunge one even better.  Otherwise there are some nice grunge shaders in the store. 

If you need to go the free route, I found these brushes on ShareCG.  I don't know how good they are.  Or if you are good with the shader baker, I suppose you could make your own shader, but I haven't played with that much so I don't even know how difficult something like that would be.  I think a spotlight highlighting each individual character would add some dimension.  Especially, the robot since he is so dark as he almost blends into the scenery.  I like what you have so far, though, Joe.

Shinji Ikari 9th - I actually like the one with the girl.  I agree about the pipe being in a bad position.  The camera angle you have now works better.  I'm not sure which building prop you are using.  If it isn't too big, maybe you can use a deformer and kind of nudge towards the outside of the building.  I don't know if it would help, but that is what I would try.  Her outfit looks a little one dimensional and she kind of fades into the background.  If you want her there fine, if not, I would try to find an outfit like his with varying shades of black or grey.  Looking better, though, IMO.

lucasdestoop - I'm not even sure what to say about the zombie and dragon.  I can say that I'll be interested to see where you go with this one.

Everyone's renders look promising.

Okay, after a couple of crashes I finally managed to render the attached scene.  I will decide if I need more trees once I've added a few other elements like some animals.  I've come up with a couple of stumbling blocks and I'll have to see about PMing the AM and Marshian as I'm having trouble adding textures to their products.  I can't quite get the Above the Fog to looks more like snow.  So far, this is as close as I've gotten it.  I have my snow texture on the ground cover under the fog and you can see it popping up where the fog in below the ground level or where the fog is particularly thin.  I haven't figured out how to put the texture actually on the fog itself.  I'll have to ask to see if that is even possible.  I also can't get the snow on the cabin to show my texture.  No matter what texture I put in the surface settings, it only shows the snow that comes with the product.  Which isn't bad, I just wanted all of the snow to kind of match.  I'll have to ask AM about that one.

I think the picture as a whole is starting to come together.  I still need to add some elements, but I'm liking what I have so far.

WinterCabin06.jpg
    1500 x 844 - 1M
    Post edited by Knittingmommy on
    TreeDee said:

I actually like the blur you're getting with the rain.  I think it is coming along nicely.  There are also some nice reflections on the ground water going on as well.

This is coming along nicely, Sonja.  I really want to see how you do the snow.  If possible, try adding some depressions for footprints, too.  I think that would look nice.  If you think the snow on the mountain is too white, try finding that surface on the mountain and just click on the color base and use the arrow on the slider to just tone it down a notch. 

Joe Webb said:

Interesting concept, Joe.  Looks promising.

Joe Webb said:

I think adding in some grunge will still add to the dimension of the piece even if you can't see it that well.  Ron's brushes are great and if you have the grunge one even better.  Otherwise there are some nice grunge shaders in the store. 

If you need to go the free route, I found these brushes on ShareCG.  I don't know how good they are.  Or if you are good with the shader baker, I suppose you could make your own shader, but I haven't played with that much so I don't even know how difficult something like that would be.  I think a spotlight highlighting each individual character would add some dimension.  Especially, the robot since he is so dark as he almost blends into the scenery.  I like what you have so far, though, Joe.

Shinji Ikari 9th - I actually like the one with the girl.  I agree about the pipe being in a bad position.  The camera angle you have now works better.  I'm not sure which building prop you are using.  If it isn't too big, maybe you can use a deformer and kind of nudge towards the outside of the building.  I don't know if it would help, but that is what I would try.  Her outfit looks a little one dimensional and she kind of fades into the background.  If you want her there fine, if not, I would try to find an outfit like his with varying shades of black or grey.  Looking better, though, IMO.

lucasdestoop - I'm not even sure what to say about the zombie and dragon.  I can say that I'll be interested to see where you go with this one.

Everyone's renders look promising.

Okay, after a couple of crashes I finally managed to render the attached scene.  I will decide if I need more trees once I've added a few other elements like some animals.  I've come up with a couple of stumbling blocks and I'll have to see about PMing the AM and Marshian as I'm having trouble adding textures to their products.  I can't quite get the Above the Fog to looks more like snow.  So far, this is as close as I've gotten it.  I have my snow texture on the ground cover under the fog and you can see it popping up where the fog in below the ground level or where the fog is particularly thin.  I haven't figured out how to put the texture actually on the fog itself.  I'll have to ask to see if that is even possible.  I also can't get the snow on the cabin to show my texture.  No matter what texture I put in the surface settings, it only shows the snow that comes with the product.  Which isn't bad, I just wanted all of the snow to kind of match.  I'll have to ask AM about that one.

I think the picture as a whole is starting to come together.  I still need to add some elements, but I'm liking what I have so far.

It looks great with the trees!

• -=-

here's my latest two versions

dec2015f1.jpg
    1026 x 872 - 564K
    dec2015f2.jpg
    1026 x 872 - 580K

The trees make a huge difference! It's looking really good!

here's my latest two versions

With the original picture I immediately had a "story" in mind. The orange glow coming from a fire maybe, the man finding shelter in the run-down remains of a house for the night.

With modern technology added to it (tablet in the second new picture) I can no longer support this story in my mind, and need to find a new one. But I can't figure out what it would be yet.