Gallery Ads/Popups

Comments

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 3,152
    edited February 25

magscans said:

I use Firefox with every trash-blocker known to humankind.  I don't see any of this garbage.

Yup! But it is true, doing that does make some sites harder to use, even inaccessible. It's a price usually worth paying for peace of mind.

Post edited by Torquinox on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988

I live downunder

you should see the ads and video ads I now get on these forums... surprise

exqussee thhe speeeliing mistaks that may occor        ...... devil

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,010

Stezza said:

I live downunder

No worries mate, we understand that hanging upside down 24/7 may have some side-effects cheeky

• caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,416

Richard Haseltine said:

As I understand the system they don't - any tracking, and the ad selection within cionstraints set by Daz, is done by Google.

That's good to hear, as far as Daz is concerned. However, I do not give my consent to be tracked by Google as soon as I visit the Daz forum and/or the Gallery. So far, I cannot see any dialogue in which I am given this choice, which is required by EU law.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032

Google has been busted so many times claiming they don't do something when in fact they later get exposed for doing exactly that. The same with Facebook.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,930

Havos said:

FirstBastion said:

I took a few screen snaps of the ads on the gallery page,  interesting selection,  though because there are three of them, top, and bottom,  and right side ads  they feel the most jarring,  taking attention away from the artwork.  Not that anyone will ever click on them,  nor leave any kind of impression.   

People do click on ads, if they did not, every free site would have shut down long ago without a revenue stream. My company makes most of it revenue through advertising, though in our case the bulk of that is ads in mobile apps, rather than on our website. Ad revenue is measured in something called ecpm, normally the amount of revenue made for every 1000 times the ad is shown on someone's screen. The ecpm varies alot depending on the content, the country it is displayed in and many other factors. For a website a typical value is $1-5 of ecpm. I have no idea how many 1000s of hits the daz forums and gallery get each day, but I would guess it is a lot less than the store. That said DAZ is global company so would get a lot of hits. I would have thought this revenue was a lot less than what they make from the store sales, but we can only guess. However I would expect them to at least make enough to cover the costs of the forum and gallery.

I know a lot of people hate ads, and dislike it when sites stop you using ad blockers, but they have costs to cover and advertising is the best way to help cover them. A lot of news sites offer a subscription service to access their content, but generally very few do subscribe, and for the smaller sites in particular, subscription will not generate enough income. Advertising is the reason a lot of the content we enjoy sits on the web today, and if that is blocked, that content will quickly vanish.

...those adverts don't get any clicks from me as I have both no interest in/need for, and for the most part cannot afford what they are selling.  I'd rather give a fiver to an independent site that asks for donations now and then.  Big name newsmedia sites with "paywalls".are also out.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,930
    edited February 26

barbult said:

You have probably given your browser permission to use location data. That is a separate permission that you can control in settings.

...most likely that will happen if you use Google services on your phone.  I did so that i can use Google Locate when I'm out and about and directions given me by someone weren't very clear.  Likely it also tags me via our transit system's site as well which I use at home I to set up the simplest way to get somewhere as well as I have to give them my location.  I also my computer synced with my phone primarily for the grocery markets I shop at.  I make my list and "clip" coupons at home before heading out as it's so much easier on a large screen and a "real" keyboard.

All the more reason to have a sturdy firewall and good advert blocking.(I also have the same AV protecting my phone). 

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • HylasHylas Posts: 4,897
    edited February 26

Controversial (?) opinion: as long as DAZ allows adblock I don't mind if they have ads. If it helps them make an extra buck or two, good for them and no skin off my back.

If they start blocking adblock we will have a serious problem.

Post edited by Hylas on
  • FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,744

Torquinox said:

magscans said:

I use Firefox with every trash-blocker known to humankind.  I don't see any of this garbage.

Yup! But it is true, doing that does make some sites harder to use, even inaccessible. It's a price usually worth paying for peace of mind.

Anytime I see that notice that my adblocker makes their site inaccessible,  I simply close the window.  It's their loss,  there are atlesst a few billion other options out there that don't force that requirement.

• ZiconZicon Posts: 262

Tynkere said:

If DAZ is allowing Google to train an advertising AI  (speclation on my part) might take it while for it to learn what gets results and what gets ignored.

Google does not need to "train an advertising AI". They have the biggest information gathering system, and the most finely honed ad targeting algorithm in the world. They know where you live, how old you are, your marital status, how many childen you have, where you work, and pretty much everything there is to know about you just from tracking your habits across the web. Yes, even if the data from each source is anonymised. When you have enough data, nothing is anonymous anymore. Targeting advertising is Google's primary business and has been for the past decade, and they excel at it. The only competitor that comes even close is Facebook.

There's absolutely no need to speculate about "AI". Google's only interest in "AI" is to gather even more information, they simply do not need to "train" anything to get better targeting.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,439
    edited February 26

PerttiA said:

Stezza said:

I live downunder

No worries mate, we understand that hanging upside down 24/7 may have some side-effects cheeky

Back in '95, I was in Australia for 5 weeks, mostly New South Wales and Queensland but some Northern Territories too, and I never heard anyone saying "no worries mate", they would however say "no woories maiyt".indecision   I was afraid to go to Victoria because of the language difficulties.devil

All accent kidding aside, my host explained that the accent has mellowed in the last 50 years.  To demonstrate, he introduced me to an old timer (veteran of WW-II) whose manner of speech was really difficult to understand.  Sort of like running into a 90 year old West Virginia hill person chawin' tobaccy while 'splainin' history with 50% words and colloquialisms I'd never heard before.frown

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,722

So, when you sign up for Google "AdSense", apparently it lets you select certain categories of ads you don't want to show on your site; presumably because you don't want to promote a competitor's site. So it could be that DAZ chose to exclude all CG ads when they signed up for AdSense because that would promote competing websites. That would cause people to see every kind of advertisement except those related to computer graphics, the one type of ad that would have been relevant to people on this forum.

• Hylas said:

Controversial (?) opinion: as long as DAZ allows adblock I don't mind if they have ads. If it helps them make an extra buck or two, good for them and no skin off my back.

If they start blocking adblock we will have a serious problem.

Ultimately, I'll put it with and trudge through the BS; I've done worse for less. My usual solution for atrocious ads is not to go to sites that have them a second time, so maybe I'll finally get an ad-blocker. But I won't talk about or send a link to my gallery while the site is in this state. I would not want my co-workers and friends to know that I hang out somewhere sleazy enough to have them.

• caravelle said:

Richard Haseltine said:

As I understand the system they don't - any tracking, and the ad selection within cionstraints set by Daz, is done by Google.

That's good to hear, as far as Daz is concerned. However, I do not give my consent to be tracked by Google as soon as I visit the Daz forum and/or the Gallery. So far, I cannot see any dialogue in which I am given this choice, which is required by EU law.

It would be a Google setting not a Daz seting, of course, since Daz has no control over Google.

• NylonGirl said:

So, when you sign up for Google "AdSense", apparently it lets you select certain categories of ads you don't want to show on your site; presumably because you don't want to promote a competitor's site. So it could be that DAZ chose to exclude all CG ads when they signed up for AdSense because that would promote competing websites. That would cause people to see every kind of advertisement except those related to computer graphics, the one type of ad that would have been relevant to people on this forum.

While Daz has, I believe, used this feature to try to block offensive content they clearly haven't blocked all CG companies - someone up-thread had an ad for Cinema 4D.

Richard Haseltine said:

NylonGirl said:

While Daz has, I believe, used this feature to try to block offensive content they clearly haven't blocked all CG companies - someone up-thread had an ad for Cinema 4D.

I got it too once 

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047
    edited February 26

Post edited by McGyver on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,034
    edited February 26

LOL

Capture.PNG
    1920 x 1040 - 208K
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • HylasHylas Posts: 4,897

McGyver said:

This banner was voted most sexy in 1997... it will shock you how she looks today!

• melaniemelanie Posts: 779

I haven't been in the gallery lately, but I'm getting these ads on the forums. What's that all about? I never click on any ads on any sites, but these things are in the way. These's a way to make the one on the bottom slide down so you can't see it, but this is really annoying.

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,677

It seems firefox + adblocker ultimate + ublock origin take care of any ads that would appear in the gallery/forums here. It seems to do a great job everywhere on the internets TBH.

• mwokeemwokee Posts: 1,275
    edited February 27

Firefox cuts the [stuff] but Daz is pure garbage on my Android.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • melaniemelanie Posts: 779

As an experiment, I went into DAZ through Duck Duck Go and I still get the ads here in the forums, so it can't be Google doing it. It must be something coming through DAZ.

• AlmightyQUESTAlmightyQUEST Posts: 1,997
    The ads are Google ads, it doesn't matter how you search to get to the site, or even the browser unless you have one that specifically blocks the ads.
  • NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,722
    edited February 27

mwokee said:

Firefox cuts the [stuff] but Daz is pure garbage on my Android.

Firefox for Android exists. 

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

melanie said:

As an experiment, I went into DAZ through Duck Duck Go and I still get the ads here in the forums, so it can't be Google doing it. It must be something coming through DAZ.

I am also on DuckDuckGo and do not (yet?) get any advertising. I hope that doesn't change, because then the forum and Gallery will be passé for me.

• JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 1,901
    I haven't been to the gallery but the pop ups in the forum are driving me nuts! Am I the only one dealing with them in here? Every new landing from anywhere else creates a mini battle. Try to type something... Another pop up. I was hanging low a few days hoping it would improve, but it seems to have gotten even more intrusive... I didn't want to complain, but I thought maybe someone in the land of Daz might want a little feedback. Idk. :(

I get ads once or twice a day, and the ones I have seen have been well behaving, no popups or large images/animations.

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,211

From the standpoint of an iPad, I have to admit I don't find an ad at top and bottom very intrusive especially since the bottom ad usually has a little flip arrow to pull it down. I've been on sites where the ads are everywhere. I don't mind these. Maybe other device layouts are different.

Cris Palomino said:

From the standpoint of an iPad, I have to admit I don't find an ad at top and bottom very intrusive especially since the bottom ad usually has a little flip arrow to pull it down. I've been on sites where the ads are everywhere. I don't mind these. Maybe other device layouts are different.

I'm also on an iPad, and I don't see any adverts at all thanks to my browser. 

As long as the adverts don't take up much space, as long as they're not animated and reasonably discreet, as long as they're not pop ups, I don't mind them. But as soon as it starts to become annoying, vulgar and distracting, it's not acceptable. Apparently no one at Google has any sense of this, and Daz doesn't seem to care. As has been said here before: I don't visit a site to see ads. 

Incidentally, the more interesting and discreet an ad is and the more time I have to read its message, the more likely I am to look at it. But anyone who tries to disregard me as a customer, take me for a fool and overwhelm me has of course already lost.