- - Spyro's Render Thread and Projects - -

Comments

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

great to see you again - keep up the work - looking good

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited December 1969

Spyro's Daggers.

A recent prop I made, which has been in the making for quite some time now.

An original design as always and part of "Project:Bloodline" Spy has twin daggers, this particular model is an improved replica set made with higher grade materials then the original weapon, which is destroyed during the early events of the storyline.

For several years (nicknamed) Spyro was living on the streets in a harsh urban planet. The place was in political turmoil and at the time was military controlled. The planets cities were divided by class, the rich lived in the upper levels with the poor below them. Spy was living on the run and found a place he could call home with a street gang, who like him, never stayed in one place too long and had a knack for avoiding authorities. A key member of the gang was a washed up soldier, who shared the valuable skills of bladesmithing. Knife crafting was the gangs source of income as well as supplying method for their defensive arsenal.

The original Dagger, which was later replicated, was hand crafted by Spyro himself with the assistance of the soldier. The improved twin replicas were custom manufactured by Navaras Corp. (A firearms and weaponry manufacturer) The blades were, once again, crafted by Spyro with superior resources.

lol Now I must add this to my note book, a few new ideas spun which I must add to the novel ;-P

Anyway, the design is influenced by the Nepalese signatory knives known as Kukri. That type of knife was not only used for military purposes, but also as a Agricultural and even wood cutting tool! It really is designed for hacking/cutting... so I inverted the design to create a slashing style knive, which makes for a more agile weapon. The hilt design is influenced by a pistol grip (Walther P99), unlikely reference I know, but the design is sleek and molded for a hand which I felt is a + for a dagger. In terms of shaders, I was going for a powder-coated titanium look but certainly not a glossy finish. Rubber gripping and casted metal shell.

Btw, Spyro is not as young and innocent as Ive depicted him previously in renders, Over time his role and purpose in my my fictional project has changed and so has his age/appearance.

SpysTwinDaggersCForum.png
    1870 x 1453 - 2M
  • LomrikLomrik Posts: 53
    edited December 1969

Those daggers look great, excellent work Spyro :coolsmile:

edited December 1969

cool Dagger

• 3dLux3dLux Posts: 1,225
    edited December 1969

Wow! :bug:

If that was real (or in any 3d store ;-) ) I'd buy it in a heartbeat :cheese:

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hmm... I see a Future PA lurking in the Art Studio forum.... FYI: Saw this coming a very long bit ago... the PRO part folks not the cool knifes.

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,975
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Hmm... I see a Future PA lurking in the Art Studio forum.... FYI: Saw this coming a very long bit ago... the PRO part folks not the cool knifes.

Indeed! Spyro's designs and textures rock so hard!

edited December 1969

Many thanks guys, your comments are much appreciated :)

Still have heaps to learn, right now the workflow is the killer. Projects are taking a little too long to complete, though I am working on many simultaneously. However the more I do the faster/better I get. I think I have a love for subdivision and I'm getting a grasp the "no triangles" rule and how high poly the base model should be. Completing the daggers I realized I could reduce the poly count on the blade in particular, I can tell you that blade is literally microscopically sharp lol so sharp it was hard to determine the uv seam even at maximum zoom. UV mapping In general i think I'm getting a grasp on, at least for props. It was a weak point in earlier props I've made.

Still uncertain about the save/export procedure since I'm no longer working PP2 export. But I worked out material presets :cheese: too long I didn't know how to do that :red: anyway, as always, more to come.

edited August 2013

Spyro's Urban Dagger.

The original dagger, hand crafted by Spyro and carried on his person for several years, which is destroyed in the early events of the story. The weapon is unique to Spyro, and no other bladed weapon crafted by him or his fellow gang members are the same.

In designing this item, even from in the novel, I backtracked and designed the replacement (twin daggers) before visualizing this one. I knew the urban dagger had to resemble and be the design prototype to an extent. I also had to consider what materials he could get his hands on within an urban ecumenopolis or Megalopolis environment. Raw materials would be hard to come by, especially in his homeless lifestyle at the time. So the blade would essentially be made up of recycled metals, all sorts of leathers collected/sampled from the streets for gripping and binding. The hilt was obviously destined to be made of wood.

Despite being able to work from the "twin Daggers" mesh, it was rather fiddly and the texturing took longer time the the modeling and UV mapping phase. I rendered it with the same scene set as the Twin daggers as well as a different custom scene which with a white environment that assisted the Surfacing/Texturing process.

SpysUrbanDagger_White.png
    1870 x 1453 - 899K
    SpysUrbanDaggerC.png
    1870 x 1453 - 2M
    Post edited by SpyroRue on
    edited December 1969

Yep. This little dude is on a fast track to PA career :lol:

Well done!

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Skiriki said:
    Yep. This little dude is on a fast track to PA career :lol:

Well done!

+1
    edited August 2013

Haha! Thanks Ski :)

EDIT and Jader :)

edited December 1969

Just another Spy...

Rendered before I wiped DS for a clean install... I added the FX and Background while DIM was working away. It was only a test render, Had I known I would add this background I would have added a HDR and had correct reflections.

T5SpyKnives2FullA.png
    1000 x 1000 - 1M
    edited December 1969

Spyro said:
    Just another Spy...

Rendered before I wiped DS for a clean install... I added the FX and Background while DIM was working away. It was only a test render, Had I known I would add this background I would have added a HDR and had correct reflections.

to young to carry 2 ;-)

edited December 1969

*applause*

Bravo, lad!

edited September 2013

bigh said:
    Spyro said:
    Just another Spy...

to young to carry 2 ;-)

Apparently Fate said the same thing. Mistakenly, I overlooked the twin daggers, when backing up a select few WIP props... He had three, The Urban Dagger and the two Twin Daggers, Now he has one. :down:

I still have the OBJ and the Textures and PSDs... I have saved scenes with the non-existent prop and its shader settings but NO Mat files and NO Prop file

*applause*

Bravo, lad!

Thank you Ski, you always make my day :)

edited December 1969

A little bit fancy...

Jaderail Impostor! He's claiming your riches Jaderail, you had better send an assassin quick!

ClassyJ.png
    1000 x 1300 - 2M
    edited December 1969

Spyro said:
    A little bit fancy...

Jaderail Impostor! He's claiming your riches Jaderail, you had better send an assassin quick!

laughing - good one

edited October 2013

This render is my response to the ‘Jaderail Vs Spyro’ render battle. Render 1 - Me Worry? He's not even this tall.

2. Bullseye! Haha!

My height is the least of your concerns right now, blue man. For a knife wielding sorcerer who wears armour... you sure have some weaknesses, and not just of the unseen “supernatural” kind.

HRes_Least_Of_Your_Worries.png
    1505 x 1038 - 2M
    edited October 2013

This render is PART of my response to the 'Jaderail Vs Spyro' render battle. Render 3 - Magic is FUN!

4. I'm Not Done Yet

“Flames?!? You cheated!! Ahhhh... Mom’s gonna’ freak when she finds out about this.”

NDY_HRes_WIP.png
    1600 x 1150 - 2M
    edited December 1969

This render is PART 2 of my response to the 'Jaderail Vs Spyro' render battle. Render 3 - Magic is FUN!

5. The Den

TD_HRes_WIP.png
    1600 x 1150 - 2M
    edited December 1969

Spyro said:
    This render is PART 2 of my response to the 'Jaderail Vs Spyro' render battle. Render 3 - Magic is FUN!

5. The Den

he made a wrong turn !

edited October 2013

This render is PART 3 of my response to the 'Jaderail Vs Spyro' render battle. Render 3 - Magic is FUN!

6. Something About Those Eyes

TDE_Hres_WIP.png
    1600 x 1150 - 2M
    edited December 1969

bigh said:
    Spyro said:

5. The Den

he made a wrong turn !

Yep sure did! Damn that flame throwing Drow! XD

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,034
    edited December 1969

Spyro said:
    bigh said:
    Spyro said:

5. The Den

he made a wrong turn !

Yep sure did! Damn that flame throwing Drow! XD
    LOL :lol: Bigh Spyro didn't! he is getting some help! and who could resist those puppydog eyes!!

edited December 1969

This render is PART 4 of my response to the 'Jaderail Vs Spyro' render battle. Render 3 - Magic is FUN!

7. The Wounded Cub

TDWC_HRes_WIP.png
    1600 x 1150 - 2M
    edited October 2013

This render is the FINAL part of my response to the 'Jaderail Vs Spyro' render battle. Render 3 - Magic is FUN!

8. It's An Animal Thing

Magic is fun, but retreating is shameful. Hey, where you goin' pops?!? You owe me a new bow!!

IAAT_HRes_WIP.png
    1600 x 1150 - 2M
  • none01ohonenone01ohone Posts: 862
    edited December 1969

Very nice sequence of renders, with an interesting storyline. Hehe.

edited December 1969

Very nice sequence of renders, with an interesting storyline. Hehe.

Thankyou very much! I had allot of fun with that series, very long render times, few crashes and I saved over a scene at one point :red: But was nonetheless very fun to do :cheese:

edited December 1969

Spyro said:
    This render is the FINAL part of my response to the 'Jaderail Vs Spyro' render battle. Render 3 - Magic is FUN!

8. It's An Animal Thing

Magic is fun, but retreating is shameful. Hey, where you goin' pops?!? You owe me a new bow!!

what pops turn chicken :-)