Let's appreciate/discuss today's new releases - more ongoinger thread

Comments

• mdingmding Posts: 1,238

Hylas said:

https://www.daz3d.com/pillars-and-shadows

Any idea why this latest Dreamlight environment is so much more expensive than usual? I mean it looks perfectly fine, but it looks like just another Dreamlight environment to me. For $40 full price?

Remember https://www.daz3d.com/forsaken-industrial-corner which we got for $2.99 during the PA Sale? I had exactly the same thought when I realized the original price.

• ShimrianShimrian Posts: 533

https://www.daz3d.com/australian-shepherd-for-daz-dog-8 Looks adorable!  I'm going to have to post some renders soon. Since it's a DA original I can even use my monthly coupon on it.

• joannajoanna Posts: 1,368
    edited October 9

I agree, new dogs are cute!

I really like today's doorbuster, CC Talan. Not only it's a new product for a crazy low price, but also, from my perspective, Changeling Chick always offers value. From multiple options for both males and females (skin, eyes, nails) to excellent promo pictures that set up the golden standard of "I really want you to know what exactly you're buying": honestly, if the price and general appeal weren't enough, that promo picture showing how nicely he blends with other characters would be the deciding factor.

Post edited by joanna on
  • ZiconZicon Posts: 290

Can confirm Talan is good stuff.

A pale-skinned elf man with blond hair, clothes in pastel silk, and multiple pieces of silver jewelry set with purple gemstones. He is sitting on a throne in pastel velvet and silver decorations, and is looking off to the side while absent-mindedly playing with his necklace, apparently uninterested in what is going on in front of him. His expression is somewhere between bored and disgusted.

[ view in daz gallery | view full version ]

• caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,442

Thank you, Zicon, that's a great render. Talan fits very well with NDFP Anael Bishonen, and the price is more than good for all that Talan offers.

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 4,064

Thank you AM for Otter by AM | Daz 3D! I have loved the sea otters for most of my life but a visit to the Monterey Aquarium confirmed it as I stay an hour just watching these little critters. 

• Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,534

And the award for core character name most likely to cause confusion because people already often refer to Victoria as Vicky goes to...

• Matt_Castle said:

And the award for core character name most likely to cause confusion because people already often refer to Victoria as Vicky goes to...

Seems it's intentional, since "Meet Vicky 9, using the new Genesis 9 Toon shape to do an all-new anime figure inspired by Victoria."  

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,283
    edited October 11

Definitely an interesting direction. I'm sure there is a market for it.

And a reason to play with Filament, if that's what it takes for the cel shading.

Post edited by JOdel on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,976

Perfect opportunity to introduce Aiko 9, but it's their choice.

• Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,534

tyra_oeildeloup said:

Seems it's intentional, since "Meet Vicky 9, using the new Genesis 9 Toon shape to do an all-new anime figure inspired by Victoria."  

It's obviously intentional, but I can still say I think it's an odd choice.

A quick search already finds a lot of people referring to Victoria as Vicky, and given Daz's previous efforts to try to unconfuse their product lines (things like bringing generation and genesis numbers in line, and generally retiring characters built on core figures as a base), it seems weird to pick up that spanner and throw it right in there.

• theflarftheflarf Posts: 144

Probably should have called her "Tori" 

• I LOVE that we're getting new toon shaders! heart And lots of goodies to support toon characters with the new G9 expansion pack / shapes bundle. Excited to have a play with it soon...

• columbinecolumbine Posts: 434

I was going to come in here and do a big rant about the seemingly-contradictory information on the feature sale page about what parts of this new thing are free in 4.23 updates, what aren't, etc and what exactly you can and can't do with FilaToon without buying garbage you don't want (e.g. Vicky 4 who is horrible) ... but let's just take all that as read, except to say

1. Sometimes the store's instinct to drown all facts in hype is a little hard to take

2. I don't watch informational or instructional clips of any kind, I want PRINTED TEXT information

3. The forums have pretty much answered my questions, but it's a shame I HAVE to go to the forums to get answers (I have banged this drum before)

NOW, the REAL gripe: I eagerly await the day when some cartoon-style resources come out for Studio that are not based on anime styles or Japanese fashion-game apps, which are styles I personally loathe. I recognize there are a couple of generations now who have grown up on the Marathon style of animation (yes, I know they're a French company but they follow the "skinny anime" playbook), but that is never what I want when I want cartoonish.

Where is my set of characters done in the style of the Fleischers or Ub Iwerks or Tex Avery or Chuck Jones or Bob Clampett (or, for that matter, Richard Williams, the most brilliant animator of the generation following the two I just listed)? Where are my Warner Brothers toon shaders at? Why can I not do Red Hot Riding Hood scenes in my renders?

I am not holding my breath, you understand. I wasn't born yesterday. In fact, that's the problem: I wasn't born yesterday.

• Seven193Seven193 Posts: 1,073

SapphireBlue said:

I LOVE that we're getting new toon shaders! heart And lots of goodies to support toon characters with the new G9 expansion pack / shapes bundle. Excited to have a play with it soon...

Yes, but I would prefer to see at least one promo shot without the cell shading, to see what the product actually looks like.

• columbinecolumbine Posts: 434

Seven193 said:

SapphireBlue said:

I LOVE that we're getting new toon shaders! heart And lots of goodies to support toon characters with the new G9 expansion pack / shapes bundle. Excited to have a play with it soon...

Yes, but I would prefer to see at least one promo shot without the cell shading, to see what the product actually looks like.

Not sure what "the product" means there since this is actually a whole bunch of things, but there's at least one image of Vicky 4 in straight Iray render on her item page. (Looks horrible.)

• I picked up the new bundles today and have been very impressed with them.  The cell shading style works with other assets and it's great to have a different style.  The anime morphs are well done and can be used with other models, even Face Transfers.

The best part?  Because you need to render the filament style in your active viewport, the renders are instant!

Nan Anime 3.jpg
    1650 x 1515 - 1M
    Jennifer Anime 2.jpg
    942 x 914 - 531K
    Jennifer Anime.jpg
    942 x 914 - 395K
  • ainm.sloinneadhainm.sloinneadh Posts: 398
    edited October 11

Yeah the filament rendering is a massive selling point for these new shaders. I've experimented with many of the older cell-shading and line renderers and they were just too much work. I've been creating a lot of assets for a project I'm working, resigned to a more realistic, longer rendering time. The speed of the filament shaders and the ease of applying them now has me rethinking what I want to do with the project style-wise.

Post edited by ainm.sloinneadh on
  • davesodaveso Posts: 6,914

OrangeFalcon said:

I picked up the new bundles today and have been very impressed with them.  The cell shading style works with other assets and it's great to have a different style.  The anime morphs are well done and can be used with other models, even Face Transfers.

The best part?  Because you need to render the filament style in your active viewport, the renders are instant!

dont want to derail, but how do you keep a new window from popping up. My side view does render, but so does a new window. The main viewport  isn;t rendering.  

• ArtAngelArtAngel Posts: 1,680
    edited October 13

daveso said:

OrangeFalcon said:

I picked up the new bundles today and have been very impressed with them.  The cell shading style works with other assets and it's great to have a different style.  The anime morphs are well done and can be used with other models, even Face Transfers.

dont want to derail, but how do you keep a new window from popping up. My side view does render, but so does a new window. The main viewport  isn;t rendering.  

Two places

1. Open Tool Setting Pane. Click the Spot Render and uncheck new window. However for the Filatoons it's best imho to render in new window. They don't want you opening other apps or docs in front of the viewport but the window render is fine.

2. Render Settings>General>Render Target has two options Direct to file or Render Window. 

Just a personal preference but I like choosing which drive based on if  its a test render, for a project, a scene, a subset etc. And based on now I'll probably create one called canned toons for non-custom anime out of the boxish toons

Post edited by ArtAngel on
    edited October 13

I have to say that XI NA Market looks really nice. And while I can clearly see where the inspiration for this set came from, it's not a cheap rip off. Just similar "vibes". On top of that, it has a lot of separate pieces, so one can build their own setting and it's a Daz+ item, so it's quite cheap. I just hope the textures are ok as well, but I'll get it anyway.

Post edited by joanna on
  • davesodaveso Posts: 6,914

joanna said:

I have to say that XI NA Market looks really nice. And while I can clearly see where the inspiration for this set came from, it's not a cheap rip off. Just similar "vibes". On top of that, it has a lot of separate pieces, so one can build their own setting and it's a Daz+ item, so it's quite cheap. I just hope the textures are ok as well, but I'll get it anyway.

i bought it as the carrot for greater discount on a couple WL items and content filler. That one product lowered the cart by at least 30%, maybe more.  

• ArtAngelArtAngel Posts: 1,680
    edited October 13

joanna said:

Me too. I like it. I own 83 of 198 products from that vendor. But, I bought nothing yeterday, nothing today and plan to do the same tomorrow.

Anyone know what's up with the licenses included?

.... Yeterday all my troubles seemed so far away ... lol ... yeterday should be a real word . . . big grin.

Post edited by ArtAngel on
  • butterflyfishbutterflyfish Posts: 1,229

ArtAngel said:

Anyone know what's up with the licenses included?

Somebody in another thread said that it means the licenses are also on sale. 

Well, after a consideration of "I like it but I don't really need it," (that has been affecting my purchases at Daz recently, as I mentioned in the Sales thread) I dumped the cart instead of making a purchase.

Still, it is a nice set.

• I've succumbed to the narrowboat https://www.daz3d.com/narrowboat ; Something I've always wanted and it might just rev up my sadly MIA muse.

• I like the narrowboat too. Looks very like my memories of the one I went on for a week age 11.

Regards,

Richard

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,895

Linday going above and beyond the call of promos.

• MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,959
    edited October 16

xyer0 said:

I am so glad, you're bringing that up.
    I really love this new hair and it is almost exactly, what I needed.
    I just wished to have a dry version of it,
    but then I thought:
    "Wait a minute. Doesn't it look a lot like Linday's Classic Messy Bob Hair?"
    So I just copied its materials to the new Wet Messy Bang Hair 
    et voila:

LindayWetMessyBangHair.jpg
    1435 x 1277 - 628K
    Post edited by Masterstroke on
  • xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,895

Masterstroke said:

xyer0 said:

I am so glad, you're bringing that up.
    I really love this new hair and it is almost exactly, what I needed.
    I just wished to have a dry version of it,
    but then I thought:
    "Wait a minute. Doesn't it look a lot like Linday's Classic Messy Bob Hair?"
    So I just copied its materials to the new Wet Messy Bang Hair 
    et voila:

Cool hack! Thanks for sharing.