Let's appreciate/discuss today's new releases - more ongoinger thread

Comments

• joannajoanna Posts: 1,368

daveso said:

That tutorial seems very extensive. How many hours is it ?

Doing quick math based on the length of the videos provided in the description it's give or take 14 hours total.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,120

Vladimir Chopine [GeekatPlay] Certainly does have countless AI tutorials as well as Vue and other software so if it's a dealbreaker for you, it is what it is I guess blush

I watched many of his and other people's tutorials on YouTube for free to set up Automatic 1111 etc on my own PC

he does do great tutorials

I myself don't buy tutorials so a moot point howver I am also agnostic in my views of AI, neither for or against it

I will not use Generative AI trained on the LAION5 Database commercially nor pay to use it but for personal use I certainly do as well as using 3D

just saying it is probably a good tutorial, I have been watching the Vue ones on YouTube too

• mdingmding Posts: 1,238

@daveso: over 13 hours, if I got it right...

@joanna: You are right, that sounds a bit disquietening:

Finding Clients and Joining the Design Marketplace: A Guide to Succeeding with AI-Generated Content 

My impression maybe came from:

Discussion on using tools like Poser, DAZ 3D, and AI for character design, stressing the need to adapt to evolving technology to enhance creativity.

I don't envy any professional, as they are all forced to produce as fast as possible in order to survive. So, "Enhance creativity" here most likely just means "helps you to work faster" and if he truly believes, he has to use these tools to survive, I cannot judge him - unfortunately, it may be true in his case. Still, it is not an AI course, AI is a part of it, and there is much more, like fonts, color theory, planning your work(flow), postwork.

But overall I understand, that you are concerned about people being nudged by this tutorial into using those tools without any real necessity.

• joannajoanna Posts: 1,368

mding said:

I don't envy any professional, as they are all forced to produce as fast as possible in order to survive. So, "Enhance creativity" here most likely just means "helps you to work faster" and if he truly believes, he has to use these tools to survive, I cannot judge him - unfortunately, it may be true in his case. Still, it is not an AI course, AI is a part of it, and there is much more, like fonts, color theory, planning your work(flow), postwork.

But overall I understand, that you are concerned about people being nudged by this tutorial into using those tools without any real necessity.

I don't judge him either. I know the market is tough and people need to find ways to survive, and I don't even know what his motivation/reasons are (not that I really care either). I simply choose which artists to support with my meager starving-author-level money, and I'll choose one who doesn't use AI over the one who does as the values of the former align with mine. :)

• mdingmding Posts: 1,238

@joanna: Well, I guess  @WendyLuvsCatz made it pretty clear, that your impression was right, I didn't know that, only knew him from his hexagon tutorials. A tough world, indeed.

• joanna said:

mding said:

Today's "headliner" seems pretty impressive for everybody interested in loooong tutorials. I believe Vladimir Chopine is the legend, who posted all those hexagon tutorials for free at YT - many thanks!

It looks nice and comprehensive, but there are about 20 mentions of AI in this course, and that makes me much less interested. I don't want to do AI. I want to make art.

Edit: This isn't an invitation for a yet another discussion (argument ;) ) about AI. It's just my personal preference and choice. I don't want AI in my processes, and thus I'm not enthusiastic about supporting people who push it.

Thanks for sharing thisheart, I did not read through it so had no idea that it involved Ai, was thinking of buying it. With this knowledge I will not buy it. Thanks for saving me the anxiety of knowing that I had bought a, partly, gen Ai tutorial.  I am struggling w very bad mental health, so I take the ai scraping/stealing of art for datasets very hard. And as you - NOT an invitation to discussions about gen Ai, I respect the athor of the tutorials opinions, I just don't agree. No one can say anything that will change my mind. For me - not a gray area - it's black and white. So I have a NO Ai tolerance. I will keep in my whishlist one of his older tutorials, the one about lights, that's a few ys old, hopefully that has no ai in it.  

• tombraider4ever said:

joanna said:

mding said:

Today's "headliner" seems pretty impressive for everybody interested in loooong tutorials. I believe Vladimir Chopine is the legend, who posted all those hexagon tutorials for free at YT - many thanks!

It looks nice and comprehensive, but there are about 20 mentions of AI in this course, and that makes me much less interested. I don't want to do AI. I want to make art.

Edit: This isn't an invitation for a yet another discussion (argument ;) ) about AI. It's just my personal preference and choice. I don't want AI in my processes, and thus I'm not enthusiastic about supporting people who push it.

Thanks for sharing thisheart, I did not read through it so had no idea that it involved Ai, was thinking of buying it. With this knowledge I will not buy it. Thanks for saving me the anxiety of knowing that I had bought a, partly, gen Ai tutorial.  I am struggling w very bad mental health, so I take the ai scraping/stealing of art for datasets very hard. And as you - NOT an invitation to discussions about gen Ai, I respect the athor of the tutorials opinions, I just don't agree. No one can say anything that will change my mind. For me - not a gray area - it's black and white. So I have a NO Ai tolerance. I will keep in my whishlist one of his older tutorials, the one about lights, that's a few ys old, hopefully that has no ai in it.  

On second thought I might put his other tutorials out of my wishlist. As you said, I don't want to support someone who supports gen ai. For me it's black and white. Not ok. Whatever reason he has to use and teach gen ai - not my business to care about. My business to care about - protecting artists, like me, from having their art stolen in gen ai. If there is an ethical gen Ai app - and I HIGHLY doubt that, that's like one or two among tons. But now I'm discussing this and none of use wants to do that. I appologizeheart. Last word from me about this.

• lou_harperlou_harper Posts: 1,162

The Charmed Soul Jewelry Set is really nice. https://www.daz3d.com/fk-dforce-charmed-soul-jewelry-set-genesis-9-8-and-81-female

I especially appreciate that it is for G9 and G8 both. I wish more PAs did that. Fabiana makes such great stuff.

• Yesterday's Glasses v001 MMKB includes a pair of Groucho glasses. I've been looking for those for years.

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,832

Every time Aurelio puts out another release, I feel like they're stalking me. I'm pretty sure that today's New York fire station was inspired by the station at 363 Broome, which I used to pass every day on my way to work. Aurelio's model is substantially less ornate than the real thing, but the key elements are all there. I think they might have taken the details of a different station and compressed them into the footprint of FDNY 55.

bytescapes said:

Every time Aurelio puts out another release, I feel like they're stalking me. I'm pretty sure that today's New York fire station was inspired by the station at 363 Broome, which I used to pass every day on my way to work. Aurelio's model is substantially less ornate than the real thing, but the key elements are all there. I think they might have taken the details of a different station and compressed them into the footprint of FDNY 55.

I like that fire station, and I have all of the New York buidlings, but what I would really love is a free standing small town fire station.

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,935

https://www.daz3d.com/skin-effects-grease-for-genesis-8-and-81-female-and-male

AeonSoul's geoshells look amazing and I really appreciate that there's a G8 version!

• lou_harper said:

bytescapes said:

I like that fire station, and I have all of the New York buidlings, but what I would really love is a free standing small town fire station.

+1 - yes please. 

• SilverGirl said:

lou_harper said:

bytescapes said:

+1 - yes please.  

Count me in among those interested in city/town settings. My particular interest is first half of the 20th century, but a lot of both small town and big city settings date back to that period. Not to rehash old threads on the subject, but "lived-in but not abandoned/destroyed" would be super. 

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,675
    edited September 23

paulawp (marahzen) said:

SilverGirl said:

lou_harper said:

bytescapes said:

+1 - yes please.  

Count me in among those interested in city/town settings. My particular interest is first half of the 20th century, but a lot of both small town and big city settings date back to that period. Not to rehash old threads on the subject, but "lived-in but not abandoned/destroyed" would be super. 

No fire station but Mountain Valley is a great 20th century small  town.

ETA Some small town fire stations:

https://www.daz3d.com/fire-station-for-daz-studio

https://www.renderosity.com/marketplace/products/159826/1stbastion-firehouse-station?AID=4987

https://www.renderosity.com/marketplace/products/136177/the-old-fire-station-for-daz-studio

Post edited by Charlie Judge on
    edited September 24

Charlie Judge said:

No fire station but Mountain Valley is a great 20th century small  town.

ETA Some small town fire stations:

https://www.daz3d.com/fire-station-for-daz-studio

https://www.renderosity.com/marketplace/products/159826/1stbastion-firehouse-station?AID=4987

https://www.renderosity.com/marketplace/products/136177/the-old-fire-station-for-daz-studio

Someone always bring up Mountain Valley. I used it before, but it's awkward to work with. Especially if you want to customize it. The buildings are grouped in a certain way, and the textures are also set up in inconvenient ways. That set is at least eight years old, and showing its age. And it's the town square from Back to the Future.

And those other ones are not the greatest quality.

Post edited by lou_harper on
  • columbinecolumbine Posts: 434

lou_harper said:

Someone always bring up Mountain Valley. I used it before, but it's awkward to work with. Especially if you want to customize it. The buildings are grouped in a certain way, and the textures are also set up in inconvenient. That set is at least eight years old, and showing its age. And it's the town square from Back to the Future.

You know, I was all over that Mountain Valley set earlier this year trying to kitbash it for an Easter story (I agree with you, it is not easily bashed) and the whole time I was working with it I didn't realize it was the town square from Back to the Future, which probably means I need to watch Back to the Future again (I haven't seen it in, god, over twenty years).

I tend to work in urban settings and my purchase choices reflect that, but I agree with you that there could be more in the small-town range. Most of the small-town and suburban stuff seems to be housing, and not the businesses on Main St USA.

• ainm.sloinneadhainm.sloinneadh Posts: 398
    edited September 25

I don't need them, but they're lovely characters and ChangelingChick's releases are always packed with little extras. One thing that does worry me a bit, however, is that there's a fangs set in https://www.daz3d.com/cc-character-kit-vampire-vagaries-mr-for-genesis-9 that looks like my own gnashers. Or should I say drinkers?

Post edited by ainm.sloinneadh on
  • ainm.sloinneadh said:

I don't need them, but they're lovely characters and ChangelingChick's releases are always packed with little extras. One thing that does worry me a bit, however, is that there's a fangs set in https://www.daz3d.com/cc-character-kit-vampire-vagaries-mr-for-genesis-9 that looks like my own gnashers. Or should I say drinkers?

Not for nothing, but if your teeth look anything like any of those, you should definitely see a dentist because something is definitely wrong XD 

• ChangelingChick said:

ainm.sloinneadh said:

Not for nothing, but if your teeth look anything like any of those, you should definitely see a dentist because something is definitely wrong XD 

Oh dear. And it apparently runs in the family because my adoptive parent has them too! >ᵥ_ᵥ<

I am very pleased with Robot Servant; I've needed a newer model that has a changeable faceplate screen for a while. And I like that Oso has selected images for the store page which really illustrate the many kitbashing possibilities here. And today you can't beat the price!

(If you'd like to see what my first reaction to do with it was, there's a post in Render Your Buys.)

• TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,325
    Robot Servant 'screen' face is interesting, but I wish there was more going on with the body than just looking like a slender G9 base.

Timbales said:

Robot Servant 'screen' face is interesting, but I wish there was more going on with the body than just looking like a slender G9 base.

You can always mix in other shapes. I did.

• TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,325
    columbine said:

Timbales said:

You can always mix in other shapes. I did.

Yeah, but I don't see anything that gives a more stylized body without breasts or impressions where breasts used to be.
  • Question for anyone who's bought it: Do the clocks in https://www.daz3d.com/fg-clock-collection have moveable hands? Or are they all stuck where they're at?

• SilverGirl said:

Question for anyone who's bought it: Do the clocks in https://www.daz3d.com/fg-clock-collection have moveable hands? Or are they all stuck where they're at?

The ones I have checked are static props. However, the hands are separate mesh in the one I just took the Geometry Editor to (right-click>Select By>Surfaces>Glass, right-click>Geometry Visibility>Hide Selected, click on one of the hands, ctrl * to select connected, right-click>Geometry Assignment>Craete group from Selected)) then use Edit>Figure>Object>Rigging>Convert to Figure, use the Join Editor to add bones (right-click>Create>Child Bone) and put the centerpoint in the middle, and fianlly use the Node Weightmap brush tool to selct each hand group and fill it with 100% for the relevant bone (right-click menus).

I just tried and it took about ten minutes.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 100,099
    edited September 28

Actually the hour hand on this one wasn't entirely connected so i had toadd another polygon, and I have also given the pendulum a bone - it didn't take all of the time since my last post to do this.

Zero hour approaches.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 147K
    Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • Richard Haseltine said:

SilverGirl said:

Question for anyone who's bought it: Do the clocks in https://www.daz3d.com/fg-clock-collection have moveable hands? Or are they all stuck where they're at?

The ones I have checked are static props. However, the hands are separate mesh in the one I just took the Geometry Editor to (right-click>Select By>Surfaces>Glass, right-click>Geometry Visibility>Hide Selected, click on one of the hands, ctrl * to select connected, right-click>Geometry Assignment>Craete group from Selected)) then use Edit>Figure>Object>Rigging>Convert to Figure, use the Join Editor to add bones (right-click>Create>Child Bone) and put the centerpoint in the middle, and fianlly use the Node Weightmap brush tool to selct each hand group and fill it with 100% for the relevant bone (right-click menus).

I just tried and it took about ten minutes.

Heh... completely new skillset for me, so I suspect it will take more than ten minutes, but worth it to make them work for my purposes. Thank you for the detailed instructions; that looks like I could accomplish it with a minimum of words that aren't allowed in the forums. =P