Darwins' Schtuff

Comments

• I made it through Christmas. The boys are happy with a new video game system and games so they are happy. I've managed to finish a few projects so that makes me very happy. Actually crossed off a few things off of my bucket list if I actually had one, which I don't but if I did, those things would be on one. I'm just a happy girl.  :) 

How was your Christmas?

It was good, thank you!  My s/o is home now (Yay!), so it's even better. ;)  Tho' I did get some work done, at least, this holiday. lol

That's good. Give my best to that s/o of yours. You two be safe with whatever you're doing to celebrate tonight.  :)

• We are staying home like two good little hermits. XD  Not going out to deal with the drunks and idjits, newp.  You too!

• We are staying home like two good little hermits. XD  Not going out to deal with the drunks and idjits, newp.  You too!

Yeah, I stay home, too. I get enough of crazy drivers down here in FL without tempting fate on New Years Eve. It's safer at home.  :)

• I hope everyone has a safe and Happy New Year :) 

• It was good, it was safe!  Thank you and I hope everyone had one as well!

• So-I haven't burrowed so far into the cave that I haven't been busy.  I've started an accessory set for G8M, that I may well port over to G3M as well.  So far, it's just the sword in a cane prop with hierarchial poses, and wearable presets for the left/right hand for G8M.  Learning poses and how to save them, as well as working out textures/uvs for the props.  The base of the cane and the topper load together but are separate props so I can do poses for the drawing of the blade, use, and a few cool looking but useless poses if I can manage it.

I'll post something soon, rendering a tester.

• Okie doke-got some renders, with all of the things that need fixing. :)

First one- The left hand wearable preset with a pose I added beforehand.  The pose didn't change except for the hand grip when the wearable preset was used, so that was done correctly! Go me-first try. lol

This was the render I did while testing the idea of textures out in the above shot- these are MRs, but I am going to do my own in Substance.

Added in the Right Hand Hierarchial Pose Preset and Right Hand Wearable Preset-didn't change the base pose at all.  Another Yay!

Now for close ups to see how the shaders work over the UVs.  Seems I have a few things to fix.  The Cane Top Cap has really stretched out UVs in the cylendar portion.

Blade end looks good!  Why a blade?  Because no good Goth goes outside with a cane without a blade, that's why.

Base-metal cap with a rubber end.  The top of the cap you can really see the facets of the polygons, and the rubber end does the same.  I'll be trying out SubD 1 on this prop to see how the edges behave.

Top of the Blade, base of the Cane Topper.  Looks good so far.

SubD 1 Testing time.

Topper and Cane: The edging of the Topper where it meets the Cane Base Topper rounded off-I forgot to crease an edge; I may bevel it after to soften the transition between the cylendar and the edge.  The Topper on the Cane Base..........stretched UVs again.  It, too, needs the top edge creased. Ten to one, the hole where the blade is inserted into the Cane Body needs the same.  Didn't render that, but I shoulda.

Blade tip, looks good.

Cane Bottom- Rubber end looks great, as does most of the Bottom Cap, however at the top edging- stretched UVs.  Possibly need to crease that edge as well as bevel it a bit.

This is where the Topper said enough was enough.  Blade top and Blade Cap- totally deformed.  You can also see the edging of the bottom of the Topper that needs that creasing/beveling issue.  Will have to go back into this and crease the top of the Blade as well as the Blade Cap.

and for amusement's sake- a Tooth Ring.  Lots of issues with UVs as well as just being basic modeling.  I think I'll revisit this with a better mesh.  I was surprised I actually liked this little bugger.

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,868

So the skull Topper is effectively the sheath for the blade? The blade doesn't come out the bottom of the cane?

• The base of the cane is the sheath.  The Topper has the skull handles and the blade itself.  You pull the Topper away from the Base and viola-weapon.

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,868
    edited January 2018

How to creep yourself out: go searching for a visual reference to try to clarify the question you thought you were asking and discovering that sword canes aren't just something you see in British (or British inflected) movies.

So you're saying your cane is something like this? http://www.budk.com/Night-Watchman-Heavy-Duty-Sword-Cane-31528 (... I actually can't decide if it's better for "night watchmen" to have a sword cane or not. And who gives swords to night watchmen, anyway?)

I was thinking of something I'd seen in an Avengers episode, I think. (The old British TV series with Patrick Macnee and Diana Rigg, not the US thing with Thor and Iron Man.) That had a relatively short blade in the bottom six or so inches of the cane, and you could pick it up, press a button in the handle, and the blade sheath at the bottom would go flying off, and you'd have a long knife with a highly unusual amount of distance from the hand. Handled like a long sword, but it wasn't like there was much choice there.

Oddly, I think the skull topper might make a more practical handle for a sword than the one on the Night Watchman, but the skulls would be less practical for a cane. Then again, I don't suppose that a sword cane is intended for extended use. If you have to depend on your sword cane to defend yourself for any lengthy amount of time, then either you're going up against unarmed and really unintelligent criminals, or you've accidentally fallen through a time portal back into renaissance Venice. (Would love to see what renaissance Venetians would make of the tooth ring, though.)

Would make a lovely accessory to Royal Punk (https://www.daz3d.com/royal-punk) if it weren't, you know, four years out of date at this point.

Post edited by vwrangler on
  • Yup- that's the idea.

I had used one like this a few times; the handle is surpisingly good to grip if you need it for balance (while there's a blade inside, I'd assume you wouldn't and use the cane for an accessory), and the grooves between the jaws and lower skulls are great to keep a tight grip on the topper when the blade is unsheathed.  In case your palm is sweaty, or it's raining, or there's a bit more blood spilled than planned...>.>

But, no, definitely not something for extended use.  There is a very small tang in a real cane sword, and that's not condusive to long term use at all.  While good in a pinch (like haunting those dark streets/alleys in the early hours and coming up on vagabonds or theives!), it's not something I'd keep on my person in the event of a true life or death situation.  I'd have backup somewhere on me. XD

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

Ooh, very cool! I like the sword cane! Tell Oliver I said hi, glad he's back safe and sound.

• Nice job, warts and all. smiley Running into little issues like that is all part of the learning process, my friend.

• lol-thank you! I'll let him know, Llynara!

Yeah, DD...and I learn the hard way.  Over and over and over again. ;)

Updated renders-but I think I'm going to lay down.  My s/o has had a stomach virus since Thursday, and I think I've been given the gift that keeps on giving.

Scale to G8 Base:

• one last one- I somehow missed a crease.  Now, time to lay down

• and one reason that I've been busy...Meet Stryker for Owen 8:

For the rest of the promos you can check out the commercial thread here!

• I have Knittingmommy, Stormlyght and taemimum (cherubit) as the last three testers that haven't gotten a figure this go around.  Let me know if anyone purchases Owen 8 and I'll do the randomizer for him!

• Wauw he's looking great. Love all the tattoo and make-up options that comes with him.

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

Looks great! And the cane goes well with him wink

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,909

Stryker looks by far more interesting than the base figure! As I'm not (yet) buying into the g8 figures that is a bit of a pity, but g3 are doing their job just fine for me. So I'll have to pass on him.

• Erk... Don't really like Owen, as I feel his material settings aren't right, but all the other pieces look good, including Stryker... * grumbles*
  • Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,147

Stryker looks awesome.  I'm looking forward to seeing him in the store :)

• Thank you!

I'll do a quick test render of Stryker without Owen and post it here and on my FB page for people to see the difference between the two.

• Here is Stryker without Owen 8: Not pretty

With Michael 8's Head Morphs

With Lucas 8 Head Morphs

• CherubitCherubit Posts: 992

He looks beautiful! <3

• Cherubit said:

He looks beautiful! <3

Thank you!  If you like, I can add you to the rotation to test him out with Owen 8? I messaged ya, but wasn't sure it went through.

• I've been busy and look at you! All modeling and stuff. Cool cane! :)  Styker looks great. Best character I've seen for Owen yet today. Nice one, DM!  :)

• I have Knittingmommy, Stormlyght and taemimum (cherubit) as the last three testers that haven't gotten a figure this go around.  Let me know if anyone purchases Owen 8 and I'll do the randomizer for him!

Hi,

I did purchase Owen.

Trish

• Thank you KM!

Awesome-I ran the randomizer on our last three testers from the (still growing) list of volunteers.  cherubit won this round.  I have loads of stuff in the pipeline, so there will be plenty more for my lovely testers soon!

• Thank you KM!

Awesome-I ran the randomizer on our last three testers from the (still growing) list of volunteers.  cherubit won this round.  I have loads of stuff in the pipeline, so there will be plenty more for my lovely testers soon!

Congrats Cherubit! 

@DarwinsMishap I'm looking forward to your additional stuff smiley

Trish

This discussion has been closed.