PC+ sale here now, any must-buys for Cararra? The Wrap-up and unfinished business

Comments

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Not ready for surface replicators yet.  Truly, I still don't fully understand the scaling and manipulation tools. smiley

Yes you are! we'll show you. And that's how you'll end up getting the most from packs like that Grass you've linked to.

We'll show you.. it's easy!

Have to admit, when I read this I laughed.  Dude, you've got a severe case of Carrara-Optimist syndrome. smiley  Based on your symptoms, there doesn't appear to be a cure, which is fortunate for us new folks.

So, I tried out the surface replicator function as you outlined, and it was pretty easy to get started.  I ended up not using it on my latest project, because I wanted my plants in very specific locations, and it was just easier to drag them there.

But down the road - yeah!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited October 2016

Travelers grass and plant products are useful for replicating.  Several are in that build your own bundle offer.  http://www.daz3d.com/byob-1

Pretty good deal, IMHO

Post edited by Diomede on
    edited October 2016
    3DAGE said:

HI Unifiedbrain :)

Carrara has a Fog "primitive object" (you can find it under the INSERT menu) ,. it also has Volumetric clouds,. which can be used to create fog,. (see howie farkes Spruce vale) or Stoney Creek bundle ,. as an example.

Carrara's dynamic Hair system, can also be used to create grass.  the Plant system can be used to create grass and has animation options for wind and russle, or you can create your own grass in the vertex modeller.

Surface replicators,. and replicators are really simple and extremely easy to use.

they're essential for creating forests,. and if you want grass, from small modeled clumps, that's the only way any system could handle that type of task.

Replicators in DS are (send in the clones) of something like that,.

Replicators can create hundreds of thousands of "virtual" duplicates,of a model, and arrange them in a variety of ways,. Grid, Ball, Arc, etc..

Surface Replicators do the same thing,. but they can replicate objects onto a selected surface,. such as a terrain with grass, plants and tree's replicated over it's surface,. the placement of objects can be controlled by using a Black and White / Greyscale map ,. white areas get objects,. black areas don't.

Great Studio vs Carrara perspective there, thanks!

3DAGE said:

For moving the Camera around in Carrara,.

You can hold ALT while you drag in an empty part of the scene to Rotate (left mouse) ...Track (Alt+middle mouse and push/pull) and ....Pan (alt+Right mouse)

It's also really good to get into the habit of changing your working camera from "Camera1" to the Directors camera.

you can move around the scene,,. scouting for good camera locations,. then save that position,. (using the camera menu) ..change back to Camera1,. and Load that saved position.

go back to the Directors camera and move around or move objects around in your scene,.

The Directors camera isn't animated.

"Camera1" and any other camera's you add are animatable. which is the main reason for suggesting you use the Directors camera.

OK, I'm kind comparing this to the camera view and perspective view in Studio, where perspective view is like Directors camera (and I use it a lot).  I still haven't got onto this habit in Carrara, because I apparently cannot render from Directors camera (but I can render from perspective view fine in Studio).  I really like to move around the scene and render from different angles, and for that I use camera 1 in Carrara.  So am I right about not being able to render in Directors camera, or wrong?

3DAGE said:

when you're moving the camera around, Carrara uses the selected object in your scene as the rotation point, if you have nothing selected,. the camera uses the scene centre.

Actually figured that one out myself, shock of shocks.

3DAGE said:

To Zoom in , or focus on an object in your scene,. select it and hit 0 (zero),. that will frame the camera on that object.

You can add a (Target helper object) a (NULL in DS),. you can then add the "point at" Modifier, to your Camera1, and select the target helper,. ..the camera willl always point at that helper objects,. 

Target helper objects,.. can also be animated,. or parented to an animated object.

A lot of good stuff - probably too much to remember it all, but good to hear.

3DAGE said:

On scale:

The Scale of any object in Carrara can be changed using the Motion panel on the right,. you can adjust the scale, rotation and position using the numeric inputs.

you can also select the scale tool, on the left toolbar, and push/pull the scale handles on  the object, or pull a side of the object,. ...try with the edges of a plane.

I must admit to being somewhat lost here.  In Studio, there is generally a Scale slider, and then three separate x,y, and z sliders.  In Carrara, the scale tool on the left sometimes acts like a proportional tool, and sometimes like an xyz tool.  I haven't figured out why it changes at this point.  I also didn't know about the motion panel- thanks (I think)!

3DAGE said:

it's important to note that scale in the Assembly room,.  doesn't change the real geometry's scale,. the original model remains unaltered. it's just temporarilly scaled in your scene.

to really scale a model you need to edit it in the modeller, or use it's "primitive" options,. and scale it there.

By Primitive,. I mean a cube, sphere, ..etc, but also Terrain's, Ocean's, Plant's etc.. any Carrrara "primitive object" can be resized or adjusted from it's own options panel.

or by using the Motion panel,. or the Scale tool.

Scene scale:

The three scene scales in Carrara,. are set up to help you navigate (moving camera's or objects around).

Large scale will allow you to move the camera in larger steps,. which is ideal if you want to move the camera several Miles over a landscape.

Medium scale scenes are perfect for working with Human scale,. where you need more control over the camera,. EG: to focus on a face

Small scale is ideal for product shots,. and other small scale modeling work, such as jewelery design

This part I actually already heard elsewhere, so I'm good.

3DAGE said:

Some of that may seem strange if your only working with daz/poser figures,. but they will make much more sense once you start to delve into the features of Carrara's terrain editor and modeling tools.

Hope it helps :)

Very much.  Your posts are always welcome!

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on

Speaking of trying things, I realize what you've just said about text-based tutorials... but if you can, you might just love this thread:

► Building Carrara Terrains Intro

Thanks for pointing it out!  It's nice to know that such a resource exists when I'm ready.  But this weekend, I need to look at Phil's beginning tutorials.  I promised myself that last week, but got side-tracked doing some guy's very nice shader tutorial. smiley

diomede said:

Travelers grass and plant products are useful for replicating.  Several are in that build your own bundle offer.  http://www.daz3d.com/byob-1

Pretty good deal, IMHO

Thanks for the affirmation!  I bought a bunch of them a couple of days ago.  Already used one, and it does look pretty good.  There are new Travelers items today, including some rocks and underwater plants.  Would you recommend them as well?

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

Not ready for surface replicators yet.  Truly, I still don't fully understand the scaling and manipulation tools. smiley

Yes you are! we'll show you. And that's how you'll end up getting the most from packs like that Grass you've linked to.

Have to admit, when I read this I laughed.  Dude, you've got a severe case of Carrara-Optimist syndrome. smiley  Based on your symptoms, there doesn't appear to be a cure, which is fortunate for us new folks.

So, I tried out the surface replicator function as you outlined, and it was pretty easy to get started.  I ended up not using it on my latest project, because I wanted my plants in very specific locations, and it was just easier to drag them there.

But down the road - yeah!

I love placing my own plants (and other things) by hand as well!

So I have to ask... do you know about Edit > Duplicate (Ctrl + d)?

Just in case you don't, check this out!

Select an item you want a whole bunch of (or even just one more) and hit Ctrl + d, now move it to where you want the new one, rotate it, scale it, whatever, now hit Ctrl + d again, and that same move, rotate, scale will now be repeated onto the next new one!

This makes for a great way to do symmetrical duplication, but I use it for all kinds of things.

To Break the Spell of the next duplicate repeating the stored actions, just undo (Ctrl + z) once. Now duplicate again to start a fresh set of stored actions! Selecting something else and coming back also works for breaking the spell.

So I'll often duplicate a few things to make a cluster, then select that cluster and Group them (Ctrl + g) and then duplicate that group.

I can't help it!

I have years of experience of coming into this forum and asking: So what software should I get to do this?

Then having 3dage coming in and saying - you already own Carrara... use it!

After a while, we learn to be optimistic about Carrara. And the more Carrara we learn, the more we realize that Carrara makes it easy for us to figure out how to use any of its bazillion tools! ;)

edited October 2016
    diomede said:

Pretty good deal, IMHO

Wow! I just got a few of his things and... yes! He's got some really fun pieces that work great, look great, and are fun to use!

I just got his Platez Volume 1 (along with a pile of others) and, though I haven't tried them yet, they look Really cool! Theres a LOT of presets in there!

I made this video using his Scatters - Bats - but instead of using the Scatters figure (whose wings don't flap - but has wonderful Scatter morphs for stills) I used the single bat props, which has some nice morphs ;)

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

nice atmosphere dart

looking forward to using this stuff and similar  etc with the new carrara dynamic cloth plugin and Philemo's bridge

just for fun of course :)

http://www.daz3d.com/chip-dynamic-ghost

edited October 2016
    head wax said:

looking forward to using this stuff and similar  etc with the new carrara dynamic cloth plugin and Philemo's bridge

Wow! I get to start collecting Poser-style dynamic clothing and suff! Yaaaay! Thanks for reminding me!

Do you have Chip and/or Cookie? If so... do you like them? Silly question... what's not to like, right? I've been kicking around the idea of adding some toon-style figures to my collection. Generations, Cookie and Chip, Star, etc., It all started after I saw Lady Littlefox's super wonderful unicorn figure. Then I saw that there are a Lot more cool toon/anime figures! I'm really glad to have RDNA here!

Post edited by Dartanbeck on

I bought it anyways... being free and all! ;)

These dynamic cloth items can often be easily rescaled or otherwise reshaped to fit pretty much any figure. Textures can also be chnaged, making them quite versatile ;)

head wax said:

ng forward to using this stuff and similar  etc with the new carrara dynamic cloth plugin and Philemo's bridge

Wow! I get to start collecting Poser-style dynamic clothing and suff! Yaaaay! Thanks for reminding me!

Do you have Chip and/or Cookie? If so... do you like them? Silly question... what's not to like, right? I've been kicking around the idea of adding some toon-style figures to my collection. Generations, Cookie and Chip, Star, etc., It all started after I saw Lady Littlefox's super wonderful unicorn figure. Then I saw that there are a Lot more cool toon/anime figures! I'm really glad to have RDNA here!

yes it;s a fire sale of course ;) winners are us. I'm not sure if I have chip or cookie to be honest.

I like though that we can use their cloths on v4 etc by using the cloth plugin - opens up so many new horizons

Sooo Many!!! Killer manual too! Really gets into things!

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    OK, I'm kind comparing this to the camera view and perspective view in Studio, where perspective view is like Directors camera (and I use it a lot). I still haven't got onto this habit in Carrara, because I apparently cannot render from Directors camera (but I can render from perspective view fine in Studio). I really like to move around the scene and render from different angles, and for that I use camera 1 in Carrara. So am I right about not being able to render in Directors camera, or wrong?

Really isn't the right thread for this discussion, but when did that ever bother anyone? wink

The director's camera doesn't render (although you can do spot renders with it active), otherwise it behaves pretty much as Perspective View in DS. However what you can do if it turns out to be the view you want to render, is, create a new camera or duplicate an existing one ("Camera 1" or whatever) and make it the active view. Then from the camera selection menu (this is the popup menu you get from clicking on the camera name in the top left of the 3DVew window) select Set Position To -> Director's Camera. Now you can render.

Don't forget you also need to set the render camera in the Render->Output tab (many's the time I've set up a view and then rendered something different!)

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

am I right about not being able to render in Directors camera

What tango Alpha said . :)

You can use the "area render tool" on the left,. to render any area of your screen irrespective of the camera you're using.

You can Save and Load camera "positions" from the camera menu,. So,..

If you're moving around with the Directors camera,. you find a good position,. you can save that camera position,. Change camera to Camera1, and Load that saved position.

so, you can switch between camera's and have the exact same positions.

Thanks for the responses.  Sometimes spot render is fine, but I actually like to use control-R most of the time.  And I like to do this on the fly, so stopping and creating or duplicating a camera is an extra interruption in my workflow. 

As always, I am comparing the ease of use between basic functions in Studio and Carrara.  Unless I am still missing something, I think that Studio has an edge here - at least for me.

I need to ask this again.

Do the Traverels rocks look good in Carrara?  You guys said yes to the vegetation.  Are the rocks also OK?

An example - http://www.daz3d.com/traveler-s-naturals-rocks-volume-5

Please, no rock tutorials right now. smiley

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

I don't know about the rocks but some of Traveler's plants are billboards rather than full 3D models, so just be careful that you know what you are getting.

Thanks for the responses.  Sometimes spot render is fine, but I actually like to use control-R most of the time.  And I like to do this on the fly, so stopping and creating or duplicating a camera is an extra interruption in my workflow. 

As always, I am comparing the ease of use between basic functions in Studio and Carrara.  Unless I am still missing something, I think that Studio has an edge here - at least for me.

Right - as everyone else has said... but my BIG reason for trying to remain in the Director's camera as I work towards setting up my scene and posing my figures is for this:

The Director's Camera Does Not Add to the Undo Buffer!!!

I love using Crtl + Z to undo. I also zoom using my mouse wheel a lot. Undoing mouse wheel zooms can take up the whole undo buffer if we do a lot of it.

Don't get me wrong, though. I use the Director's camera also to "Set Position To" and select my rendering cameras to check their view - even though the Director's view is a bit more zoomed in that our screen view from an actual render cam.

So I also spend the time to set up a great render view with Camera 1, then I'll select that camera, and duplicate it (Ctrl + D) and look through it and set it up for an entirely different angle of the scene. I'll often do this at least one more time per scene, but most of my scenes have at least four rendering cameras set up in them - eve if I don't actually render all of them.

here's some ease of use thingies

1) in preferences assign your number keys to your views eg number 4 becomes left view

2) assign number 3 to director's camera

2a) assign the number 0 as your 'view selected object key'

3) get Fenric's plug in that let's you assign keys to selecting 'next' and 'previous' in the instances list.  I use ',' and ',' keys.

The way my keyboard is arranged is so my right hand is hovering over all the most relevant keys..

4) Right click on a bunch of overlapping  objects in the assembly room gives you a drop down list of what your curser is on - so you can select the correct object/bone etc

5) use space bar to pan

and alt key to rotate around selected object

6) as dart suggests, always use your director's camera when working

regarding the Rocks product,.

The product page says it has three texture maps,. so these are props,. with shaders,. as such they should work well in any 3D program,. given that every 3D pogram is slightly different and every render engine, lighting system and shader system requires some slight adjustments to get the best out of any texture/shaders for that program or render engine.

That said,. these are not complex models,. or textures/shaders.

If you think  they look good in the promo/sales page,. and you can aford it,. why not get it,. Daz3d have a 30 day return policy.

if not,. you could easily create your own rocks and shaders in carrara,. if you have a camera, photograph some stone/rock textures and apply those to your own models.

or use carrara's shader room to create some rocky shaders.

3DAGE said:

As always, thanks for your feedback.  I haven't done it yet, but I know that you can create grass and rocks in Carrara.  I was just wondering about this specific product.  And the price was so cheap, it wasn't even a factor.

I am still flying somewhat blind here, not knowing exactly what works well in Carrara.  Just a lack experience, hence the mundane questions which will undoubtedly resolve themselves over time. 

Still, why are there no grass or rock objects in Carrara itself?  There is plenty of content, including mountains and trees, and hundreds of other items in various categories.  It seems strange to me that something so basic as grass and rocks are missing.

edited October 2016
    PhilW said:

I don't know about the rocks but some of Traveler's plants are billboards rather than full 3D models, so just be careful that you know what you are getting.

I am not familiar with the term "billboards," but I suspect that you mean 2D objects that look like cardboard popups. If so, you are correct, as the first Travelers plant I loaded was exactly that!  But, if rotated correctly, it still did the job.

edited October 2016
    head wax said:

here's some ease of use thingies

Ha!  That was an interesting read.  Your approach seemed very efficient.  I assume that you don't use a mouse?  In my case, the mouse is permanently attached to my right hand. smiley  I use the left hand for things like control-Z and control-R.  Maybe I could program some of those things you mentioned on the left side of the keyboard.

Thanks for the tips!

Right - as everyone else has said... but my BIG reason for trying to remain in the Director's camera as I work towards setting up my scene and posing my figures is for this:

The Director's Camera Does Not Add to the Undo Buffer!!!

I love using Crtl + Z to undo. I also zoom using my mouse wheel a lot. Undoing mouse wheel zooms can take up the whole undo buffer if we do a lot of it.

I also use the mouse wheel.  I noticed this undo problem early-on, but couldn't figure out why it was happening.  In your first tutorial I took you mentioned it, and then I understood.  Soon after, I radically increased the size of my undo buffer. smiley

I will try using the directors camera in the way that you guys have mentioned.  Still feels real awkward though.

I love placing my own plants (and other things) by hand as well!

So I have to ask... do you know about Edit > Duplicate (Ctrl + d)?

Just in case you don't, check this out!

Select an item you want a whole bunch of (or even just one more) and hit Ctrl + d, now move it to where you want the new one, rotate it, scale it, whatever, now hit Ctrl + d again, and that same move, rotate, scale will now be repeated onto the next new one!

This makes for a great way to do symmetrical duplication, but I use it for all kinds of things.

To Break the Spell of the next duplicate repeating the stored actions, just undo (Ctrl + z) once. Now duplicate again to start a fresh set of stored actions! Selecting something else and coming back also works for breaking the spell.

So I'll often duplicate a few things to make a cluster, then select that cluster and Group them (Ctrl + g) and then duplicate that group.

Finally got to try it today.  Just GREAT!

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144
    PhilW said:

I am not familiar with the term "billboards," but I suspect that you mean 2D objects that look like cardboard popups. If so, you are correct, as the first Travelers plant I loaded was exactly that!  But, if rotated correctly, it still did the job.

They can be effective (particularly in the background) and are low on system resources (hence their use), but I just wanted people to be aware to check so that they didn't think they were buying one thing (full 3D models) and end up with something else. I think the descriptions make it clear if you are aware and looking out for it.

Carrara has a thing called a Splat which acts as a 2D billboard which automatically always faces the camera, so you never get a side / distorted view of the object. You can also use the Point At modifier to achieve the same thing.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

There are some grass and rock products that are for Carrara.

http://www.daz3d.com/stone-boulder-pack

http://www.daz3d.com/replicator-grass-pack

Or, you can make your own.  Options are good. yes

3DAGE said:

Still, why are there no grass or rock objects in Carrara itself?  There is plenty of content, including mountains and trees, and hundreds of other items in various categories.  It seems strange to me that something so basic as grass and rocks are missing.

why are there no grass or rock objects in Carrara itself?

It's actually a good question,.

there are other ways to make the effect of grass or rocks,. either using shaders, or simple objects,. such as a sphere primitive, with a noise modifier applied to it, or an icosohedron added to a particle emitter.,. or just a particle emitter, set to emit particles over your ground surface.

you can use replicators,. or surface replicators,. or a particle system,. to create objects on any surface.

Carrara has a Plant generator, and a tall blade of grass isn't much different to a small thin branchless tree.

Creating a 3D model of grass normally means that you're making a lot of individual blades of grass.

the more objects you add to any program,. the longer it takes to process that,.

That's why replicating (virtual copies) of a single object,.to create hudreds of thousands of virtual copies of that object,.  makes a lot of sense.

Dynamic hair can also be used to create grass

so in short,. there are other ways to create grass or rocks in carrara

this is an image i made a while ago,. using dynamic Hair in carrara to create grass.

grasshair terrain2.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 44K
    grasshair terrain.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 114K