PC+ sale here now, any must-buys for Cararra? The Wrap-up and unfinished business

Comments

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited November 2016

Hit the wrong button.smiley

No sense wasting a post.

Here are some of Kirk's shaders again, which will be available soon:

weebly shaders.jpg
    1004 x 421 - 52K
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

For my part, you are very welcome - always great to see new users coming on board and I am sure you will be able to make a significant contribution.  Nice image too!

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited November 2016
    I've just decided to enter my Product Library and run the sort by Purchase Date backwards.

I did the same thing.  I look forward to seeing how that old stuff retextures in Carrara.

In my opinion, everything needs shader work except, perhaps, Carrara-specific products.

So I started looking at "Old" products when Daz3d said that they were going to start culling a lot of their older content from the store. Once it's gone, it's gone.

So I bought some of those older products that I might have avoided just because of the look of the textures, but otherwise the models looked cool. Oh yeah... I was right. If we like the model, we can make it look stunning in Carrara!

I'm still shopping their older products as much as I can. There are a lot of old favorites that I want to get my hands on before they disappear.

Philip Drawbridge had a collection of Star Ships that were made in Carrara and sold as Carrara-specific products. In fact, they used the Texture room functions for wrapping textures instead of UV Mapping like other Daz3d content. I was pretty disappointed to see them go. 3DAGE and Magaremoto also used to have Carrara-specific stores - now gone. Whatever they had in their stores (edit: that I didn't already have) were in my wishlist - didn't get them in time :(   In fact, I didn't know they were disappearing :(

Here are two of the Drawbridge ships I have. I've collected all of them, luckily for me. The ones I didn't grab yet were the ones he made for Bryce - which I also wanted, just lower on the "must have" ladder.

I have a version of this (above) one with several instances of Jack Tomalin's GIS Terminal mounted underneath as a set of launch pads. Then I slightly adjusted the mesh of the bottom of the ship to make it all look like it's meant to be.

The ship actually has a landing/launch platform in its nose. So to experiment with it, I've added Jack's GIS Skyway inside that area, which looks really cool!

That said, nope... I didn't have to do any rescaling. These ships are modeled Full Scale and came set up in Large magnitude scenes! Yeah... they're huge!

So huge, in fact, that I even had a version with Kibarreto's Alphabase full set on it's back, right behind the bridge, in front of the engines! If you look along the top of the ship and find the cluster of radar dishes, the bridge is a small portion of the block just in front of those, and Alphabase, in its entirety, fit on the arched shroud just behind those dishes! Huge!

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    PhilW said:

For my part, you are very welcome - always great to see new users coming on board and I am sure you will be able to make a significant contribution.  Nice image too!

Couldn't have said it better myself... all of it! Very cool image! 

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,701

Hit the wrong button.smiley

No sense wasting a post.

Here are some of Kirk's shaders again, which will be available soon:

I found my 'web whack' of Kirk's shaders, and @UnifiedBrain got permission to re-post them, so I think CarraraCafe would be the right place to put 'em.

I have it in 'web form' (portable website, just like his was) that weighs in at about 40Megs. I think it'd be more practical to bundle-'em up into a zipped folder and maybe grab screen-shots of his great demo-pix.

I'll shoot for having a bundle available around thanksgiving, and if anyone needs it sooner, I can make the web-site version available.

Thanks again @UnifiedBrain for pursuing this one.

--ms

Yes... thank you Both!!! yes

Say UB and anyone else whom may not have got around to messing with shaders much yet, 

You'll see how wonderful it is to have collections of shaders like this in Carrara. Having the complete Digital Painters and many others (plus my own creations) is really wonderful. Sometimes content and other models can really benefit from just dragging an appropriate shader from the browser onto the appropriate domain.

But much more, it's when we start wanting to combine content shaders that need tweaking with shader presets like this where we really start to learn how these shader-creation experts work their magic! PhilW teaches us some amazing tips, so does mmoir in their tutorial classes.

Examining shaders like these is an excellent way to learn how to make anything look exactly how we want it to look.

• mindsong said:

I found my 'web whack' of Kirk's shaders, and @UnifiedBrain got permission to re-post them, so I think CarraraCafe would be the right place to put 'em.

I have it in 'web form' (portable website, just like his was) that weighs in at about 40Megs. I think it'd be more practical to bundle-'em up into a zipped folder and maybe grab screen-shots of his great demo-pix.

I'll shoot for having a bundle available around thanksgiving, and if anyone needs it sooner, I can make the web-site version available.

Awesome, mindsong!  Many thanks for doing this.  I am continually stunned by the helpfulness of people here.

I hope that Kirk's shaders work as good as they look. smiley

• So I started looking at "Old" products when Daz3d said that they were going to start culling a lot of their older content from the store. Once it's gone, it's gone.

I don't get this "culling" at all.  What cost is there to maintaining old assets?  I'm trying to understand the logic here.  Do the powers-that-be feel that maintaining old assets is somehow taking away sales of new products?  I appreciate any feedback here.

So I bought some of those older products that I might have avoided just because of the look of the textures, but otherwise the models looked cool. Oh yeah... I was right. If we like the model, we can make it look stunning in Carrara!

I'm counting on it!

I'm still shopping their older products as much as I can. There are a lot of old favorites that I want to get my hands on before they disappear.

Philip Drawbridge had a collection of Star Ships that were made in Carrara and sold as Carrara-specific products. In fact, they used the Texture room functions for wrapping textures instead of UV Mapping like other Daz3d content. I was pretty disappointed to see them go.

OK Dart, that star ship you posted was just stupid, as in stupid cool.  I think that being disappointed in seeing those products go is an understatement.  I just sent a message to Philip Drawbridge.  Hope it reaches him.

3DAGE and Magaremoto also used to have Carrara-specific stores - now gone. Whatever they had in their stores (edit: that I didn't already have) were in my wishlist - didn't get them in time :(   In fact, I didn't know they were disappearing :(

What happened?  Pardon me if I'm asking a dumb question, but I really want to know.  3DAGE and Magaremoto, if you guys could chip in here and explain, I would really appreciate it.  If there is something about the subject that is too sensitive, please send me a PM.  Educate me, please!

The ship actually has a landing/launch platform in its nose. So to experiment with it, I've added Jack's GIS Skyway inside that area, which looks really cool!

That said, nope... I didn't have to do any rescaling. These ships are modeled Full Scale and came set up in Large magnitude scenes! Yeah... they're huge!

So huge, in fact, that I even had a version with Kibarreto's Alphabase full set on it's back, right behind the bridge, in front of the engines! If you look along the top of the ship and find the cluster of radar dishes, the bridge is a small portion of the block just in front of those, and Alphabase, in its entirety, fit on the arched shroud just behind those dishes! Huge!

Wow, amazing.  Thanks for sharing those details and pics, Dart!

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,038
    edited November 2016

Dartanbeck said:

3DAGE and Magaremoto also used to have Carrara-specific stores - now gone. Whatever they had in their stores (edit: that I didn't already have) were in my wishlist - didn't get them in time :(   In fact, I didn't know they were disappearing :(

What happened?  Pardon me if I'm asking a dumb question, but I really want to know.  3DAGE and Magaremoto, if you guys could chip in here and explain, I would really appreciate it.  If there is something about the subject that is too sensitive, please send me a PM.  Educate me, please!

I would like to know too

last time I broached the subject ......sadcrying

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited November 2016
    PhilW said:

Thanks Phil.  That image was actually completed several weeks ago.  Artistically, it wasn't anything special, but it expressed a sentiment which I wasn't entirely sure about at the time.  More certain now!

Plus, it was made entirely with products that come bundled with Carrara.  In short, any newcomer can do a similar image without getting into the heavier parts of the program.

Digging into your tutorials more this weekend.

• News to me. I guess they can do what they want. I'll have to read the terms of service, but if the rights revert to me and daz don't care then I'll just put them on my website. Phil
    News to me. I guess they can do what they want. I'll have to read the terms of service, but if the rights revert to me and daz don't care then I'll just put them on my website. Phil

You own full rights from the very beginning. I've asked this when I first became a PA.

I'd just contact the office, Phil. I really love your work and hate to see it not here anymore. They've been some of my favorite models - Ever!

I didn't actually break the Heavy Cruiser for this. Heavens no! Instead I used a duplicate of the first, twisted and rotated it around to give the impression it was all busted up.

She flies again! This is not the end, just a temporary setback!

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    News to me. I guess they can do what they want. I'll have to read the terms of service, but if the rights revert to me and daz don't care then I'll just put them on my website. Phil

Hi Phil,  long time no see.

•  

Wow, did not see you arround for a while, still live in Indiana buddy ? smiley

• magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226
    ToeJam said:

Dartanbeck said:

3DAGE and Magaremoto also used to have Carrara-specific stores - now gone. Whatever they had in their stores (edit: that I didn't already have) were in my wishlist - didn't get them in time :(   In fact, I didn't know they were disappearing :(

I would like to know too

last time I broached the subject ......sadcrying

well, they simply delete my store without telling me.. moreover daz refused all of my other products in the few past years

no complaint anyway, only facts

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970

UB, you have a great way of putting things and it's wonderful to read your committed interest and enthusiasm!  

I confess to getting into Carrara doldrums sometimes, especially when real life interferes and I lose momentum from lack of practice. I find myself then turning to the sticky posts more and more to review and keep up and am so happy they are there!

Am glad to see Dart, Andy, Wendy, Phil and Tim, plus many of the other board veterans posting more again, too. YAY!!

And Diomede, where do you get your creative energy...keep on keeping on all of you!  yesheart Silene

• To be honest, I haven't checked the store for a few years.   They send me money every so often.  I did notice I haven't had a payment for a while, but didn't really think much of it.  I guess they can do what they want.  But if they don't sell them anymore I might think of something else to do with them.
    I haven't run Carrara for a few years, so I'm probably really rusty.  But it was fun, so maybe I'll fire it up.

• Loving seeing the models still being used.  Really loving the underwater one.

Daz is not the only store that culls under performing vendors.  I rmember getting thrown out as a vendor at Rend, although they had no problems with theprolific downloads for my freestuff. Was one reason why I went purely freebie maker, with my own site and web site donations welcomed.

• If DAZ don't mind, then I'll probably make them freebies. 
    ​I just looked around and the models that I sold outright to DAZ are still listed. 

If DAZ don't mind, then I'll probably make them freebies. 
    ​I just looked around and the models that I sold outright to DAZ are still listed. 

I am sure that would be fine Phil,  but don't take my word for it,  drop them a ticket through the help system to double check.  The Froum Team do only look after the forums.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Models you sold outright to Daz as DOs belong to Daz in perpetuity, but anything that Daz just brokered for you is still yours. The restriction was that while it was in the store it had to be exclusive. But once it's no longer in the store, the exclusivity clause no longer applies and so you're free to sell or give it away in other places. But as Chohole says, best to get the word from the dragon's mouth.

edited November 2016

If DAZ don't mind, then I'll probably make them freebies. 

I perused your site last night. Congratulations! Marrying my Rosie and adopting her (my) children was the best thing I've ever done! Bliss x 19 years now!

I've always wanted to get my hands on your Bryce models and see if I could somehow bring them into Carrara. I have Bryce but have never actually used it/got used to how it works.

Do you think thaat Bryce could export them to something that would be useable in Carrara? Just a thought.

Freebies? That would be most generous! I'm glad that I bought them when I did... you truly deserved every penny! I love these things!

===========================================================================

For a bit of a Kit Bash, these first two images show how I connected a whole string of Jack Tomalin's G.I.S. Terminals to the underside of the HMS August to add a cool, Gothic-style lanch bay, with petipet's now discontinued White Needle Aircraft included for scale - notice the enormity of the HMS August (Destroyer) - this is just a small portion of this awesome battle cruiser!

And here is the HMS August with Jack Tomalin's G.I.S. Skyway fitted into the fore launch pad - just massing around a bit! ;)

Oh... and, of course, we see the awesome Fairborne (right) and Deep Space Heavy Cruiser (left) in the fleet as well! ;)

HMS-GIS_Term 1.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 280K
    HMS-GIS_Term 2.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 378K
    HMS-GIS_Sky 1.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 348K
    edited November 2016

See how tiny petipet's Stingray ship is on the G.I.S. Skyway, in the nose of the bottom image? These ship have such a wondeful scale for Space Sagas!

This are older images I took as animation test renders - they weren't intended to be shown to anyone, so I didn't make them pretty. Sorry about that ;)

The Red and Yellow lights in the Terminal below the Destroyer are opposing Spot lights that spin on axis when the squadron gets the call

• If DAZ don't mind, then I'll probably make them freebies.

Phil D, that would be awesome.  But I won't hold you to it.  Just you making them available again is my wish.

Thanks for popping on here and explaining the situation!

edited November 2016
    I've always wanted to get my hands on your Bryce models and see if I could somehow bring them into Carrara. I have Bryce but have never actually used it/got used to how it works.

Do you think thaat Bryce could export them to something that would be useable in Carrara? Just a thought.

HAHA!  I was going to ask the exact same question today.  I don't know about starships, but I stumbled upon a tutorial about how to bring Bryce terrain over to Carrara:

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/artzone/pub/tutorials/carrara/carrara-environment02

But I guess that I'm really hoping the Bryce vendors will find a way to make their products available for Carrara as well.  The last thing I need right now is to learn a new software.sad

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited November 2016

Some of the screencaps of the Bryce to Carrara link from Daz Artzone are not loading for me.  In the meantime, here is a Cripeman tutorial on getting Bryce terrains and materials to Carrara. 

Post edited by Diomede on
    SileneUK said:

UB, you have a great way of putting things and it's wonderful to read your committed interest and enthusiasm!  

I confess to getting into Carrara doldrums sometimes, especially when real life interferes and I lose momentum from lack of practice. I find myself then turning to the sticky posts more and more to review and keep up and am so happy they are there!

Am glad to see Dart, Andy, Wendy, Phil and Tim, plus many of the other board veterans posting more again, too. YAY!!

And Diomede, where do you get your creative energy...keep on keeping on all of you!  yesheart Silene

+1 yes

Silene, my Friend, I couldn't have said this better myself! Thanks for this!

Well, I wouldn't have included Dart in my list... but it really is great to be back! :)

UB, Great to have you on board! Rock On!

• rk66rk66 Posts: 438

@mindsong

@UnifiedBrain

Look here: http://carraracafe.com/downloads/?did=43

Category is online now, but currently no files for download. With Kirk´s permission I could put this shaders collection at CarraraCafe for download.