Animation Clubs 3rd animation finished. Watch the final film now.

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited November 2016

EDIT:

Sorry for getting off topic.

In response to Stezza's post below, a present day era, We could perhaps have

• power lines through the town
    • old desert road - dust flies when traversed
    • a few street lights
    • dusty old buildings and homes w/shutters, etc., Low Poly/Low Res
    • Deserted Home interior
    • toys, crayons, rocking horse, toy chest - lid open crooked - hang a toy or two over the side - otherwise empty
    • empty cups and dishes
    • pictures for the walls
    • rocking chair, benches
    • tumble weeds
    • cacti and other desert plants
    • lizard
    • Vulture
    • dust in the wind
    • old water tower
    • cellular tower
    • vehicles
    • flittering paper litter and other debris, like
    • wrecked, used tires
    • old battered barrels
    • re-scaled/re-shaded into crumpled empty beer cans
    • old wagon (with trailer hitch for modern vehicles)
    • Coyote
    • Desert Sun Scene - intermittent wind

Something like that?

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,989

nothing like the present.... was thinking of Wednesday just gone wink

but whatever is easiest.. if you go with this storyline that is cool 

mmoir said:

Hey Stezza,   What time or era are you thinking of here?.  1890's or 1970's . Would there be cars or conestoga wagons leaving town?

Stezza said:

idea enlightened

scene 1

Desert Sunrise with a township in the distance

scene 2

zooming closer to the township there is a dustrail moving out of town.. tumbleweeds rolling in foreground

scene 3

moving into main street sees the exiting on masse of vehicles from the town

scene 4

pans across the main deserted street... empty buildings with doors and shutters banging in the breeze.. a newspaper floats by and a coyote is seen in the distance howling

scene 5

Pans to a deserted home.. up the footpath with strewn toys everywhere.. to the front door where a note is seen nailed to it

scene 6

zooms to the note which is wafting in the breeze to read the message .... 'Gone to Australia' .. the coyote howls again..

devil yes

Stezza said:

mmoir said:

Hey Stezza,   What time or era are you thinking of here?.  1890's or 1970's . Would there be cars or conestoga wagons leaving town?

Stezza said:

idea enlightened

scene 1

scene 2

zooming closer to the township there is a dustrail moving out of town.. tumbleweeds rolling in foreground

scene 3

scene 4

pans across the main deserted street... empty buildings with doors and shutters banging in the breeze.. a newspaper floats by and a coyote is seen in the distance howling

scene 5

Pans to a deserted home.. up the footpath with strewn toys everywhere.. to the front door where a note is seen nailed to it

scene 6

zooms to the note which is wafting in the breeze to read the message .... 'Gone to Australia' .. the coyote howls again..

devil yes

yes Cool! I wanna make a motocycle and rider for those fleeing down under! (?) Can I?

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

I'm probably out this week,. busy,.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited November 2016

But say, TangoAlpha, if we don't do yours as a club project, would you mind if I did it on my own?

[...]

I was only thinking that because I could simply use store-bought content, making it easier to do.

Hey crew, what would you all think about doing this one (TangoAlpha's story) as more of an ongoing, longer timeline project? Certainly wouldn't have to use purchased content... I have some ideas for doing the rushing water scenes as well as ocean spray and such... as well, I think it might even work well being converted to Sci-Fi - in space sort of thing... just thinking aloud again ;)

Sure, feel free. smiley

Scene 2 is more or less what I did for a book cover some time back (there's a post somewhere, about a year ago). The set was scratchbuilt, and I'm sure I still have it on my hard drive - you'd be welcome to it. Actually, I need to revisit that cover, make it more dynamic, bigger sea, more debris etc. (it was when someone said "okay, but what's that grey stuff?" I knew it wasn't working!)

Yer tis: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/933806/#Comment_933806

Post edited by TangoAlpha on
  • mmoirmmoir Posts: 821
    edited November 2016

I thought this is what you were thinking of when I first read your story, I don't really want our story to get into politics at all but the story itself is fine.    I am thinking of maybe present day but having old cars etc because they can't afford new vehicles as there are no jobs in this town.  The townspeople have given up and want to move to Australia.

Stezza said:

mmoir said:

Stezza said:

idea enlightened

scene 1

scene 2

scene 3

scene 4

scene 5

scene 6

devil yes

Post edited by mmoir on

Dart, Great list.   I will put up a list like this in the Model Page post at the beginning of this thread.

EDIT:

Sorry for getting off topic.

In response to Stezza's post below, a present day era, We could perhaps have

• power lines through the town
    • old desert road - dust flies when traversed
    • a few street lights
    • dusty old buildings and homes w/shutters, etc., Low Poly/Low Res
    • Deserted Home interior
    • toys, crayons, rocking horse, toy chest - lid open crooked - hang a toy or two over the side - otherwise empty
    • empty cups and dishes
    • pictures for the walls
    • rocking chair, benches
    • tumble weeds
    • cacti and other desert plants
    • lizard
    • Vulture
    • dust in the wind
    • old water tower
    • cellular tower
    • vehicles
    • flittering paper litter and other debris, like
    • wrecked, used tires
    • old battered barrels
    • re-scaled/re-shaded into crumpled empty beer cans
    • old wagon (with trailer hitch for modern vehicles)
    • Coyote
    • Desert Sun Scene - intermittent wind

Something like that?

edited November 2016

Dart,  I really like this story too but my first thought was the difficulty issue. After thinking about it I think it is a good idea to do Tango's story next (ACCU's 4th animation), If you want you could work out the story line more fully beforehand.

But say, TangoAlpha, if we don't do yours as a club project, would you mind if I did it on my own?

I was only thinking that because I could simply use store-bought content, making it easier to do.

Hey crew, what would you all think about doing this one (TangoAlpha's story) as more of an ongoing, longer timeline project? Certainly wouldn't have to use purchased content... I have some ideas for doing the rushing water scenes as well as ocean spray and such... as well, I think it might even work well being converted to Sci-Fi - in space sort of thing... just thinking aloud again ;)

...or am I just muddying the waters at this point?

Another idea is that, perhaps we could save the story for use in a future project. I really like it. And if so, I could even start working on some of the elements in my spare time (like that really exists)

mmoir said:

Stezza said:

idea enlightened

scene 1

scene 2

scene 3

scene 4

scene 5

scene 6

devil yes

Or perhaps even SteamPunk?

in my spare time (like that really exists)

Post edited by mmoir on
    edited November 2016

Okay , we have settled on Stezza's story (we will do TangoAlphas Lifeboat escape next) and people can start the modeling of anything that fits into a Deserted desert town from the 70's or 80's.  The story is below.

ACCU's animation #3- title to be decided.

scene 1

scene 2

scene 3

scene 4

scene 5

scene 6

Okay, lets start the modeling , Dart posted a model list earlier and I posted a list in the 2nd or 3rd post of this thread .

Post edited by mmoir on
  • MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited November 2016

Som good images for reference:

https://www.google.com/search?q=abandoned+town&biw=1920&bih=939&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiW6uDd157QAhUGOCYKHct_Af4Q_AUIBigB

Lots more good reference images if you Google "Picher, Oklahoma."  

Picher OK

Search for "Cairo, Illinois" has some good images too although it's not exactly a "desert" town.

Picher-Oklahoma-abandoned-town-Main-Street-575x436.jpg
    575 x 436 - 93K
    Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
  • DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,235

I'm willing to model some cactus plants, but can't start until tomorrow evening.

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited November 2016

If no one objects and it fits the theme, I wouldn't mind giving a shot at modeling something like the little strip of abandoned buildings shown in the image I posted above.  Is this the sort of thing we are going for?

Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
  • chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

I asked my daughter if she could do the storyboards.

I will talk to her tonight and see if she can and how long it will take.

edited November 2016

What a list!

i'll do a rocking chair, a water tower (like the one in Dome) a seat bench, some street lights and power poles... for starters!

edited to add
    I'll also do the note .. 'gone to Australia'

Post edited by Stezza on

This is exactly the type of stuff we are looking for.  Go for it.smiley  

MDO2010 said:

If no one objects and it fits the theme, I wouldn't mind giving a shot at modeling something like the little strip of abandoned buildings shown in the image I posted above.  Is this the sort of thing we are going for?

Great to hear.

I'm willing to model some cactus plants, but can't start until tomorrow evening.

I will model a gas station tonight .  .  

Okay, here is the gas station model. 

GasStationModelPrelim.jpg
    1554 x 683 - 129K

and here is a shot of a caravan, water tower, milk container and rocking chair.. smiley

NovAni Group.jpg
    640 x 480 - 92K

Wonderful start! I don't think I can do any modeling until Monday, but we'll see.

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    edited November 2016

I didn't notice anyone mention they would do the barrels so... I messed around and came up with this one. Please let me know how it looks... I'm not sure if this one would help or not. Also... how does the shader look for a somewhat rusty looking barrel or drum... it could use a little bump... forgot that. :(

Dart, I should have asked which kind of barrel that you were going for. Let me kno if this will do and I'll start battering it... give it a ding here and there. :)

barre02.png
    640 x 480 - 74K
    Post edited by wgdjohn on

Great stuffsmiley , I was going to do the caravan model , yours is very nice. I will model an older type car. .

Stezza said:

and here is a shot of a caravan, water tower, milk container and rocking chair.. smiley

This will work out I am sure. 

wgdjohn said:

I didn't notice anyone mention they would do the barrels so... I messed around and came up with this one. Please let me know how it looks... I'm not sure if this one would help or not. Also... how does the shader look for a somewhat rusty looking barrel or drum... it could use a little bump... forgot that. :(

Dart, I should have asked which kind of barrel that you were going for. Let me kno if this will do and I'll start battering it... give it a ding here and there. :)

Perfect! :)

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    edited November 2016

Thanks Dart, very glad am I that you like it.

I just couldn't leave it alone, too picky... came up with a better "rusty" look... And evened/smoothed out a few things... Plus I have 2 versions... one with both ends closed and one with an open end. Next I want to assign material domains for side, ends and top/bottom rims since it can also be used for a painted drum. The main thing it lacks is a hole in one end where the pump would go... no big deal to add if needed.

Please let me know if these are good enough and I'll upload them to Mike's "exterior props" folder.

Metal_Barrel_3cX2.png
    640 x 480 - 168K
    Post edited by wgdjohn on
    edited November 2016

my van may be better for a distance shot. more vans the better  smiley

I've also done the power poles.. I'll package them all up for everyone to play with yes

great looking drums @wgdjohn.. I used to use them to put feed in.. was a bugger when I got to the bottom of the barrel trying not to fall into it :-)

mmoir said:

Great stuffsmiley , I was going to do the caravan model , yours is very nice. I will model an older type car. .

Stezza said:

Post edited by Stezza on

This is just a quick test, mainly to ask what constitutes low poly for this project. smiley

What I did was make one arm or trunk which is 100 polys, then upped the subdivison level to max and used displacement painting to make grooves. I then used Baker to create a Normal Map, and also used Carrara's 3D paint to paint the sloppy texture. I then ditched the high level displacement and applied the Normal Map. Then I just re-used the same "arm" by copying and pasting back into the original vertex model, and used bend and twist modifiers and stuck them into the trunk, so this is a 500 polygon model with a 512x512 normal map and a 512x512 texture map which creates a file size that weighs 900kb.

So before I go all crazy and start refining, is this too large of a file size to work with?

saguaro_test1.jpg
    640 x 480 - 13K

Everyone's models are looking great - you all work so fast!!!

Perfect!

All of it - perfect!

edited November 2016

This is just a quick test, mainly to ask what constitutes low poly for this project. smiley

What I did was make one arm or trunk which is 100 polys, then upped the subdivison level to max and used displacement painting to make grooves. I then used Baker to create a Normal Map, and also used Carrara's 3D paint to paint the sloppy texture. I then ditched the high level displacement and applied the Normal Map. Then I just re-used the same "arm" by copying and pasting back into the original vertex model, and used bend and twist modifiers and stuck them into the trunk, so this is a 500 polygon model with a 512x512 normal map and a 512x512 texture map which creates a file size that weighs 900kb.

So before I go all crazy and start refining, is this too large of a file size to work with?

Beautiful example of Low Poly or Low Rez.

Something that looks fantastic, yet weights in very low like the above mentioned stats... perfect!

EDIT: if we need a close-up version, this would still work great - and we'd just put spines on that one - not needed for any others though... looks perfect as is... don't change it!

EDIT 2: That's just my opinion, however... ;)

Post edited by Dartanbeck on