Animation Clubs 3rd animation finished. Watch the final film now.

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

Wow... you guys ARE fast!!! :)

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,235

Beautiful example of Low Poly or Low Rez.

Something that looks fantastic, yet weights in very low like the above mentioned stats... perfect!

EDIT: if we need a close-up version, this would still work great - and we'd just put spines on that one - not needed for any others though... looks perfect as is... don't change it!

EDIT 2: That's just my opinion, however... ;)

Thanks Dartanbeck, okay I'll create some cleaner variations and a few other species, I was thinking of some Prickly Pear patches,  Organ Pipe and, and maybe Barrel Cactus, not sure what is needed, but all of them need some variation, even if replicated.

Yes, of course you're right, spines!! Yeah, from a distance they aren't so noticeable, but I'll create a Hero version, thanks for the reminder.  smiley

It was actually some lengthy R&D for me today so I'm a bit Carrara frazzled at the moment, especially since she started crashing on me several times right at the end...lol. But will start fresh soon now that I have a workflow cobbled together.

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

Fantastic modeling folks!

I have uploaded "Drum_01.car" to Exterior Props at Animation Club Model Database.  It now has shading domains. If you want it without the top lid just select and "empty polgons" for the top lid... bottom has and inner and outer lids.

I neglected to add any dings. Wondering if it would be better to add morphs for dings???... cool I've not done morphs yet... about time I learned.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,989
    edited November 2016

Power poles, milk can, caravan, water tower and rocking chair included in zip file.. also mesh images for fence on the water tower.

still got to do a bench seat.. yes

oh, also do with whatever you like with the models smiley

zip
    zip
    Ani Group.zip
    items.jpg
    640 x 310 - 9K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,989
    edited November 2016

Gone to Australia note with pin

added a slide pin morph so you can move the pin along the top

file includes jpg texture and bump map

Gone to AustraliaMorph.jpg
    826 x 617 - 100K
    zip
    zip
    GoneToAustralia.zip
    1M
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • mmoirmmoir Posts: 821

Like Dart said, this is perfectsmiley.   Nice model. 

This is just a quick test, mainly to ask what constitutes low poly for this project. smiley

What I did was make one arm or trunk which is 100 polys, then upped the subdivison level to max and used displacement painting to make grooves. I then used Baker to create a Normal Map, and also used Carrara's 3D paint to paint the sloppy texture. I then ditched the high level displacement and applied the Normal Map. Then I just re-used the same "arm" by copying and pasting back into the original vertex model, and used bend and twist modifiers and stuck them into the trunk, so this is a 500 polygon model with a 512x512 normal map and a 512x512 texture map which creates a file size that weighs 900kb.

So before I go all crazy and start refining, is this too large of a file size to work with?

edited November 2016

Stezza , nice job on the power lines.   

Okay , here is my car model . I just have to add a couple of seats and a steering wheel.  I was planning on a couple of morphs to steer the front wheels.

Is there many vehicle models on the carrara objects folder that comes with carrara? Hopefully some of those models will work, I don't have those files loaded on my computer and I don't remember what is all there. 

CarModel.jpg
    1324 x 696 - 66K
    Post edited by mmoir on
    mmoir said:

Like Dart said, this is perfectsmiley.   Nice model.

Thanks mmoir!

mmoir said:

Stezza , nice job on the power lines.  

Yes agreed!

mmoir said:

Okay , here is my car model . I just have to add a couple of seats and a steering wheel.  I was planning on a couple of morphs to steer the front wheels.

Is there many vehicle models on the carrara objects folder that comes with carrara? Hopefully some of those models will work, I don't have those files loaded on my computer and I don't remember what is all there. 

Awesome car model mmoir - out of thin air!

I just checked my Carrara folder for included content and, yes there are 2 under "Transport" (plus other stuff that may be useful)...but Holy Cow under "Mesh Models" a whole plethora of cars!!

Sorry for crappy rendering.

stock_cars.jpg
    640 x 480 - 10K

DesertDude,  Thanks  for looking.  I would rather use models created by our team but this is okay.  We could also tweak these models a bit too to make them look a little better.

I just checked my Carrara folder for included content and, yes there are 2 under "Transport" (plus other stuff that may be useful)...but Holy Cow under "Mesh Models" a whole plethora of cars!!

Sorry for crappy rendering.

I was going to model a pick up truck and found a nice blueprint site that people may be interested in.   

https://www.the-blueprints.com/blueprints/

mmoir said:

I was going to model a pick up truck and found a nice blueprint site that people may be interested in.   

https://www.the-blueprints.com/blueprints/

Wow, that is really cool! Just clicking a few catageories and the site even lets you know which and how many isometric views! Thanks for the link - bookmarked.

Wow... My Uncle used to have a blue AMC Gremlin! Love these cars!!!

Nice job!

I don't think we needs seats and stuff... these vehicles are leaving town and we're behind them the whole time - I think.

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited November 2016

I should have a few buildings either later today or tomorrow.  In the meantime, here's some random garbage and debris.

I wasn't able to upload anything to the Mediafire site so I put the file on my Dropbox site: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2twaec306rwl763/AACTqZMSl6Av_fsZbeFdkCI0a?dl=0  There is a ZIP file called MDODebris01.zip that has the Carrara file with the pictured models plus a couple image textures (everything was saved in the file, but I included the images too just in case) and the UV map for the bottles in case anyone wants to make their own labels.

MDODebrisRender.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 34K
    Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
    edited November 2016

I got a good start on the buildings today.  They are modeled and split into material zones and I have the doors and windows separated out so they can be opened.  Just need to finish UV mapping and add some basic textures tomorrow.  I tried to keep it pretty low-poly - the four buildings and sidewalk total about 3,500 polys.

BldgSetup.JPG
    1626 x 951 - 128K

Fantastic! Love the debris too!

MDO2010, Great modeling of the buildings and the bottles/debris is nicely done. 

Dart, I did add seats/dash and a steering wheel to the gremlin although there was something about the empty hull of a car that was appealing.. I also added morphs to roll down the windows and turn the front tires.   Also, I put the truck I modeled beside the gremlin , these should be good enough for close ups in the animation. 

CarTruckPrelim.jpg
    1502 x 670 - 82K
    edited November 2016

I compliment all on being such great and quick modelers!  Very nice work indeed!

While buitlings, autos and props have been created... I took the time to add morphs. Now all I need is to do a better job. I'm including one .car file along with examples of a few morphs... I added 4... sorry... got a bit carried away.  Be careful with the "crush" morph... it is easy to overdue and will not look good with various colours. In my haste I accidentally created a few n-gons, drat.

This is rather low poly... I need a bit more geometry to create the tiny dings I'd wanted to add. :(

I'm not adding this to Anim Club's downloads because I'm not happy with it yet... need to start over and redesign. It may be good enough for this animation... I don't expect this version to be included. Gotta go... more learning/experimenting to do yet.

zip
    zip
    Drum_w_morphs.zip
    Metal_Barrel_w_morphs.png
    640 x 480 - 161K
    Metal_Barrel_w_morphs2.png
    640 x 480 - 179K
    Post edited by wgdjohn on
    edited November 2016

Guys - I'm sorry, I probably won't be able to finish the buildings in any reasonable amount of time - some personal stuff came up unexpectedly. I am putting everything "as-is" on my DropBox for you.

Link:  https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2twaec306rwl763/AACTqZMSl6Av_fsZbeFdkCI0a?dl=0 

What's done:

• Buildings Modeled
    • Buildings UV Mapped
    • Buildings Textured

What's not done:

• Separate out any windows and doors that need to be able to move
    • Rig and/or add constraints to those items

The Zip contains a .CAR with the model and textures, plus I have also included the actual texture maps separately in case they didn't save within the file for some reason.

Sorry again - I really wanted to try and do a couple more basic buildings that could be replicated to make more blocks but I don't think I will have time until much later in the week.

MDOBldg01Render.JPG
    2000 x 734 - 78K
    edited November 2016
    MDO2010 said:

Guys - I'm sorry, I probably won't be able to finish the buildings in any reasonable amount of time - some personal stuff came up unexpectedly. I am putting everything "as-is" on my DropBox for you.

Link:  https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2twaec306rwl763/AACTqZMSl6Av_fsZbeFdkCI0a?dl=0 

What's done:

• Buildings Modeled
    • Buildings UV Mapped
    • Buildings Textured

What's not done:

The Zip contains a .CAR with the model and textures, plus I have also included the actual texture maps separately in case they didn't save within the file for some reason.

Sorry again - I really wanted to try and do a couple more basic buildings that could be replicated to make more blocks but I don't think I will have time until much later in the week.

Plenty good enough... Thank you so much MDO!!! Seriously!

I've just had a terrifying bit of family news fall on me as well. I'll still try and cope... but my time has been seriously limited - possibly. We'll see.

What you've completed so far should be plenty good enough for us to be able to take it from here for this animation project. It looks fantastic! Thanks again!

wgdjohn said:

I compliment all on being such great and quick modelers!  Very nice work indeed!

While buitlings, autos and props have been created... I took the time to add morphs. Now all I need is to do a better job. I'm including one .car file along with examples of a few morphs... I added 4... sorry... got a bit carried away.  Be careful with the "crush" morph... it is easy to overdue and will not look good with various colours. In my haste I accidentally created a few n-gons, drat.

This is rather low poly... I need a bit more geometry to create the tiny dings I'd wanted to add. :(

I'm not adding this to Anim Club's downloads because I'm not happy with it yet... need to start over and redesign. It may be good enough for this animation... I don't expect this version to be included. Gotta go... more learning/experimenting to do yet.

Plenty good enough for this. I wanted them as low-poly low-focus elements, so they're plenty good enough for that! Thanks!

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    mmoir said:

Dart, I did add seats/dash and a steering wheel to the gremlin although there was something about the empty hull of a car that was appealing.. I also added morphs to roll down the windows and turn the front tires.   Also, I put the truck I modeled beside the gremlin , these should be good enough for close ups in the animation. 

Wow! All we need is to see them from behind, driving away - I think! These are gorgeous! I might have to ask if I can use these for my own animations as well!!! ;)

edited November 2016

Tonight/tomorrow I'll work on the Desert scene itself, and add all of the content created thus far as well as add some dusty wind elements and the road, etc.,

This should give us a great idea of where we are as far as needs.

Story decided  "Gone to Australia".  The town is set in the 70 or 80's, so older vehicles etc.

idea enlightened

1. Desert Sunrise with a township in the distance
    2. zooming closer to the township there is a dustrail moving out of town.. tumbleweeds rolling in foreground
    3. moving into main street sees the exiting on masse of vehicles from the town
    4. pans across the main deserted street... empty buildings with doors and shutters banging in the breeze.. a newspaper floats by and a coyote is seen in the distance howling
    5. Pans to a deserted home.. up the footpath with strewn toys everywhere.. to the front door where a note is seen nailed to it
    6. zooms to the note which is wafting in the breeze to read the message .... 'Gone to Australia' .. the coyote howls again..

We're getting close, meethinks!

I'll get animating every scene I can with what we have so far.

Hmmm... maybe we can get this done before the storyboard is made! That would be cool!!! :D

edited November 2016

Here is the first cactus, sorry I started yesterday morning all fresh and ready to do a lot when I encountered Normal Map hell...I knew something was a bit off the other night. I thought Normal Maps were pretty straight forward to understand, boy was I wrong. Anyway, I think I solved things, but it took a long time to trouble shoot. More coming soon.

There is a Mixer in the color channel mixing a color with the texture map. The texture map got a little "hot", so you can mix any color with it to try to get it to fit into your environment a bit better.

zip
    zip
    saguaro1.car.zip
    sagauro1.jpg
    640 x 480 - 12K
    Post edited by DesertDude on
    edited November 2016

Here is the first cactus, sorry I started yesterday morning all fresh and ready to do a lot when I encountered Normal Map hell...I knew something was a bit off the other night. I thought Normal Maps were pretty straight forward to understand, boy was I wrong. Anyway, I think I solved things, but it took a long time to trouble shoot. More coming soon.

There is a Mixer in the color channel mixing a color with the texture map. The texture map got a little "hot", so you can mix any color with it to try to get it to fit into your environment a bit better.

Worry not, my friend! This thing looks fantastic! 

Thank you Very Much!!! 

These buildings look great.yes  We will see how the week goes , later in the week may work . 

MDO2010 said:

What's done:

• Buildings Modeled
    • Buildings UV Mapped
    • Buildings Textured

What's not done:

Darrt,  you can use these models if you want once I  upload them.  I was toying with the idea of model a motorcycle too and would maybe upload them as one file. . 

mmoir said:

Wow! All we need is to see them from behind, driving away - I think! These are gorgeous! I might have to ask if I can use these for my own animations as well!!! ;)

edited November 2016

Wdgjohn,  Your barrel model is perfect for this animation.. yes

wgdjohn said:

Desert Dude , the cactus is looking good. I will probably upload a bunch of stuff to the database later on.

Quote from DesertDude

"Here is the first cactus, sorry I started yesterday morning all fresh and ready to do a lot when I encountered Normal Map hell...I knew something was a bit off the other night. I thought Normal Maps were pretty straight forward to understand, boy was I wrong. Anyway, I think I solved things, but it took a long time to trouble shoot. More coming soon.

There is a Mixer in the color channel mixing a color with the texture map. The texture map got a little "hot", so you can mix any color with it to try to get it to fit into your environment a bit better."

Post edited by mmoir on

Cool Mike. Yeah, I was going to try and get some modeling in - and might still... but we've just had a bomb dropped on our family. Not good. Time will be limited to at least a degree... still not sure by how much... but I'm not sure if I'll be able to model something like a motorcycle right now (I mentioned that I wanted to - but....)

I've already begun playing with a scene before all of this family stuff happened - so if you want I can still do animating and/or rendering and such.

edited November 2016

Thanks Dart and Mike. Very glad it will work out.

I have an idea for the opening title... don't know how well I can make it work or if I'll get the time here is my idea...
    "Australia" appears first... lower 3rd of frame 1 and is static
    "Gone" starts zooming in a few 2nds later... it is spaced out when zooming into position "G    o    n    e"... "e" stops abrubty other letters knock into it and each other then straigten back out. This is at top 3rd of frame.
    Next or during "Gone"s appearance "To" appears spinning quickly, looks like a blur.. then comes to a quick stop... spelling out "Gone" (next line> "To" (next line> "Australia".

Does that sound good?  If anyone else has opening title ideas in work or mind I'll not bother to even try yet.

Post edited by wgdjohn on

Sounds fun... but I'm just wondering if it's giving away the punchline before it happens? Just a thought. I'm fine with anything though, myself.