Post Your Renders like it's the year 2020!!!

Comments

• are you rendering to file and where is the file?

I had similar messages rendering to an external drive I since discarded 

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, I rendered to a file.  It is my 2nd hard drive, but it is in the same machine.  I tried rendering to the main drive and got the same error.  Then I tried rendering without designating a filename.  Still got the error.  angry

edited December 2017

OK - another reboot.  Another cleanout of the temp folder in the scratchdisk folder.  Another load of the scene.  Reduced render settings.  Rendered to default name (not to a file) and without any render passes.  Render complete without error.

Boot house render reload reduced settings.jpg
    1600 x 1000 - 305K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

Glad you got it to work - nice scene!

• very nice indeed, I still render to file BTW just not to that drive

I never renderto the temp folder either as often forget to save and then lose stuff, it cleans out stuff you want but leaves other crap.

edited December 2017

So, my goal with this outdoor project, which is not finished yet, is to have a terrain and landscape that can be easily adapted to several types of scenes.  The Old Boot House is on one of three flat staging areas next to a winding strip that can be easily converted to a path, road, or stream.  Here is a WIP as a stream instead of a path.

Fingers crossed that the unexplained error does not reappear.

Thanks for the nice comments, Phil and Wendy

EDIT: Ideally, would adjust some of the slopes near the banks so that they are not so uniform, replicate some stones in the stream, and add water plants by the banks.

Landscape Boot House retry 2 stream.png
    1600 x 1000 - 3M
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

Awesome!

Just to add - I think we also get those errors which abort a render if we run out of available RAM, which is why I'm always preaching Consolidating (mainly so new users see it).

So just be mindful when making scenes with lots and lots of items in it. Try to never use a 4k map if it's something only seen in the distance. It'll render fast, but will still eat your RAM.

Thanks for reminder, Dart.  Hope you recognized a few of the plants.  smiley

Awesome!

Just to add - I think we also get those errors which abort a render if we run out of available RAM, which is why I'm always preaching Consolidating (mainly so new users see it).

So just be mindful when making scenes with lots and lots of items in it. Try to never use a 4k map if it's something only seen in the distance. It'll render fast, but will still eat your RAM.

Immediately! wink

I actually even made those specially to use less RAM. Those packs were actually cretaed to be background environments - fully realized in 3d. So I made the leaves larger and less of them. So I usually tweak them a bit if I use them up close - but most of the time I don't really need to.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

. So I made the leaves larger and less of them. 

That's a trick I often use. Anything in the distance only really needs to give the impression of dense vegetation. And anything more than about 10 or 20 feet away is in the distance . . .

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,989

It's Official After 149,848 votes, the Australian magpie has pipped the ibis and laughing kookaburra in the Guardian Australia/BirdLife Australia poll after weeks of controversy, a powerful owl voting hack and a strong #teambinchicken social media push.
    but the Magpie has come out on top!.... swooooop the bin chicken came 2nd!

• playing around with the textures for my character Kaelyn, thought it was time for a change as there was a few things on the textures i didn't liked.
    Tested about 50 different textures until found 2 i have customised a bit :)

Kaelyn portrait001.jpg
    866 x 809 - 380K
    edited December 2017

Very nice! Yeah... every once in awhile I go through a bazillion texture to test different ones. I'm glad to have a huge collection of them amassed over the years, and it makes the 'shopping the collection for a cool new texture' a lot of fun, if not a bit daunting, but it's nice to have choices.

I really like what you've settled on!

Post edited by Chohole on

Cool stuff, Stezza! Who is that the Magpie is harrassing? Very cool bird-of-prey figure! Is that one of the Eagle expansion shapes?

• Very nice! Yeah... every once in awhile I go through a bazillion texture to test different ones. I'm glad to have a huge collection of them amassed over the years, and it makes the 'shopping the collection for a cool new texture' a lot of fun, if not a bit daunting, but it's nice to have choices.

I really like what you've settled on!

yeah and the best point to this is that you can mix different textures together to create a completely new one, the textures i normally used all the time for this character was FWYasmin, i liked the skin tone, the eyebrows but the skin itself could be better, the same about the lips so i looked on all my V4 skin textures i like most and tested some out, found my 2 favourites from VWEbony and JM_Angela, changed the skin tone of those to look more like from FWYasmin, added the eyebrows from FWYasmin to the Angela skin, also the eyes from Yasmin and tried out a few different lips for her too.
    The same about the Ebony Skin, just made it a bit lighter than originally and added Yasmin eyebrows, nose and tried out different lips.
    I didn't wanted to let her look like a complete new figure, just wanted some little changes but that she will still be the same :)
    So with mixing textures you have nearly unlimited possibilities :)

angela brows1.jpg
    1280 x 1332 - 486K
    angela brows2 .jpg
    1280 x 1332 - 547K
    angela brows3.jpg
    1280 x 1332 - 509K
    angela brows4.jpg
    1280 x 1332 - 534K
    ebonybln1.jpg
    1280 x 1332 - 548K
  • the last one is original yasmin textures

ebonybln2.jpg
    1280 x 1332 - 549K
    ebonybln3.jpg
    1280 x 1332 - 548K
    yasmin.jpg
    1280 x 1332 - 547K

Absolutely. 

I've come up with a really fun way of blending textures together using Howler, where I put one texture in the Swap channel and the one I want to adjust and keep in the Main. Then I make selections to the areas I want to tweak and soften the selections for a nice natural blend, then perform Mix with Swap and adust the intensity from there. I can even overdo it a bit if I need to, and then follow it up with the interactive undo slider to get the final blend.

I've done this sort of thing using Photoshop before I got Howler.

I've always felt the need to do this because Rosie has very fine, almost non-existing eyebrows along with other things just for personal taste. So to replace hair (like in the eyebrows) with skin, I'd grab sections of sking that will work nicely and make that into a brush (in Howler) then draw a selection around the area I want to make into skin and blur that selection a bit and work with the brush until I get what I need for the final paint.

Then I come in and select the portion of the eyebrows on the texture in the Swap channel that I want to use as eyebrows and do the slection and Mix with Swap trick. Works great and is nice and fast. I also store all of the necessary selections on my screen so I can repeat everything for the Spec and Bump map textures.

Then in Carrara, sometimes I'll use either a Bump or Spec map as the controlling shader in a color gradient to alter the tone of the skin. Whatever is closer to black in the map will control the left of the gradient, white controls the right - so if the light tones don't need much change (and the map never becomes fully white) for example, I can make the right side of the gradient pure white and add my subtle changes in tone only on the left.

For monsters I can make multiple changes in the gradient along the way to let the map mix them smoothly.

I have to admit, though, that my work has been geared towards fast animation renders and just aren't even close to the beautiful perfaction in yours! Nice freaking shaders, Chris!!! 

edited December 2017

This was a test I did hand-painting my own textures over the base simple textures for V4

I didn't really like the end result of this one, but learned a lot and had a lot of fun in the process! ;)

PaintedTexturesSampleX.jpg
    1346 x 705 - 782K
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on

But it did help me to see that I can get the figures to look like they were painted using the realistic render engine, which is what I was after.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,989
    edited December 2017

Cool stuff, Stezza! Who is that the Magpie is harrassing? Very cool bird-of-prey figure! Is that one of the Eagle expansion shapes?

that's the Australian Wedge Tail Eagle yes

It is the most common of the world's large eagles.

The models are from Ken's SBRM over at Hivewire3D

Post edited by Stezza on

Awesome, thanks! Emperor Ken ROCKS!!! 

• Chris Fox ArtChris Fox Art Posts: 380
    edited December 2017

That looks and sounds very interesting, i should take a look at Howler too :)
    I actually mostly use Photoshop CS2, just using the layer system so for the new textures i've placed the skin i want to use on top and the textures with the eyebrows or lips under that, than just use the eraser tool with about 20% flow to erase the original brows smoothly but before that i match the skin tone with using the exposure option, adding or reducing gamma a bit and reduce or increase the exposure.
    I also have Paint Shop ProX6 Ultimate with some nice plugins but didn't use this software that much.
    What i sometimes like to use is from Reallusion Face Filter if i want to add some makeup directly to the textures and sometimes after the render as this works great for that.

two renders with my dynamic hair i've made for another character a few days ago.
    The last one  have a new dynamic hair i've made but needs a bit adjustment and it's with the customised ebony textures.
    Oh, and the interesting thing is, i've just customised the normal skin textures, specular and bump map i still use the original yasmin maps, so they won't be a big different, except the bump map this i should consider to test out too.

Post edited by Chris Fox Art on
    edited December 2017

Cool! Very nice shader work!

Photoshop CS2 rocks. I had an older version and was looking to upgrade right after Adobe switched to subscriptions. I was trying to find a way to just buy a single license without the subscription - couldn't find one. Called them. they said no, unless I got Elements. I asked if Elements could merge HDRI, they said no, and that if I wanted to ask any more questions they'd need my credit card number. I said I didn't have a credit card and they hung up. I bought PaintShop Pro X5 or 6 right then and there - never to give a dime to Adobe again - but that's just me. They left a bad taste in my mouth.

Howler is a different beast, while being incredibly similar in many ways. It's painterly - very brush-centric. It also has some wonderful animation posibilities that I love. Most stills you see from me are actually a low-quality render from one of my animation tests but there are exceptions, even though I often accidentally still use those same speed-render settings. 

When I started looking into Howler I started a thread about it. Mainly to describe what I liked about it from the outside looking in, but also to possibly gather some opinions from anyone else who might own it. It goes on and on and I still add stuff to the thread as do other Wafflers and Howlers! 

Thread: Project Dogwaffle Howler

Put your seatbelt on though... I babble a LOT!

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • Oh, thats very unfriendly from adobe.
    I've got Elements 7 when i bought my pc but it turned out like an advanced paint editor from windows, didn't like it much.
    I've had Photoshop  7 on my older system but it was only 32 bit version, so i couldn't use it on my newer one but a few years ago i've found out that adobe was giving away CS2 for free, so i've took it :)
    The only other adobe product i still like to use sometimes is Lightroom which is a pretty nice tool too.

What i don't like on adobe products is that it rules the market pretty well, that also shows their prices. Paint Shop Pro from Corel can do the same things and is a bargain compared to Photoshop.
    I've took a look on the website from Howler and it looks pretty nice what you can do with it and it seem to be a real bargain compared to the other market :)
    Thanks a lot for sharing this! :)

• Some test renders and what can i say?
    I can not recommend box-modeling clothes on a posed figure, that's not much fun :D

Kaelyn black clothes001.jpg
    1184 x 1697 - 183K
    Kaelyn black clothes002.jpg
    1184 x 1697 - 219K
    Kaelyn black clothes004.jpg
    1184 x 1697 - 583K
    kaelyn portrait 004.jpg
    1184 x 1697 - 166K
  • Some test renders and what can i say?
    I can not recommend box-modeling clothes on a posed figure, that's not much fun :D

I guess your figure has too much curves for box modeling wink, that's why blush

Nice renders! It's always better to model in the default pose, and then either conform them to the figure or to do a cloth sim to get your final pose.

PhilW said:

Nice renders! It's always better to model in the default pose, and then either conform them to the figure or to do a cloth sim to get your final pose.

I certainly find this to be the easier approach too!

• Philemo said:

Some test renders and what can i say?

I guess your figure has too much curves for box modeling wink, that's why blush

lol :D

Just was curious if modeling on a posed figure is possible, answer is yes but i wouldn't do it again lol :)

I'll just clarify something - I would always model clothing in the default pose for the figure, but not necessarily the default figure shape. Your figure is quite, ahem, extreme, and would therefore most likely require specific modelling to accommodate her curves. If you model on a default shape and then morph to your target shape, it will unduly stretch the mesh in certain areas. So modelling to the character shape - but still in the default pose - makes sense in this case.

This discussion has been closed.