BOSS Pro Light Set for Portraits & Promos [commercial]

Comments

• How easy or difficult (if at all) would it be to create a stage spotlight like the attached image with this set?

Stage Spot.jpg
    760 x 516 - 39K
  • LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    edited January 2017

Here's one I did today and I'm thrilled with how it came out. The only postwork is my siggy. I may do a DOF for the final render. I used the dramatic presets, plus an extra rim light in the set and a softbox (also in the set, just had to turn them back on and change the color.) This is Roxanne wearing Tau Ceti Overseer Armor in the Echo Lima Hall. It was fun combining the emissives in those two items with BOSS, and pretty easy too once I figured out where everything was. 

Red Alert.jpg
    1500 x 1414 - 2M
    Post edited by Llynara on
  • ALLIEKATBLUEALLIEKATBLUE Posts: 2,960

This looks amazing can't wait

Final version, tweaked a few things. If it looks dark, it's not the set, it's my monitor. Looks great here, but someone told me it looked dark to them, so I'm guessing I need to adjust something here. Click for full size.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    edited January 2017

This is lit entirely with the BOSS lights and one point light in the orb crystal.  This was super easy to set up and took very little time.  I spent more time on the darn point light than I did anything else.  Ignore the clipping of the front skirt piece into the leg work, that will be removed in post work.  I noticed it AFTER it rendered over night lol.

Pix Ageera Test.png
    2040 x 1632 - 6M
    Post edited by IceDragonArt on

Stop teasing gimme this

• PA_ThePhilosopherPA_ThePhilosopher Posts: 1,039
    edited January 2017
    Llynara said:

Final version, tweaked a few things. If it looks dark, it's not the set, it's my monitor. Looks great here, but someone told me it looked dark to them, so I'm guessing I need to adjust something here. Click for full size.

That's a good point with the monitors. IPS monitors tend to have deeper blacks, and thus will look darker in dark areas. Whereas TN panels cannot get quite as black, their blacks tend to look more grey'ish. If you work on a TN panel, people with IPS panels will generally see a darker version of your render, and vs.... This is something I wrestled with when designing the light set... Even though IPS is becoming the standard today, many people are still using TN monitors.

I almost thought about having a dual-monitor setup, TN and IPS side-by-side... This way I could get a better idea of what most people will be seeing. Most 3D artists tend to buy the best monitors for color reproduction. But there is something to be said about having what 99% of your clients have. 

-P

By the way, nice work on the rim light for the hair. It really pops in this one.

Post edited by PA_ThePhilosopher on
  • This is lit entirely with the BOSS lights and one point light in the orb crystal.  This was super easy to set up and took very little time.  I spent more time on the darn point light than I did anything else.  Ignore the clipping of the front skirt piece into the leg work, that will be removed in post work.  I noticed it AFTER it rendered over night lol.

Nice work. The blue'ish rim on the right side of the face blends well with the blue'ish hues in the background....other side has a nice subtle green from the orb.... It would make for an interesting close-up.

-P

Llynara said:

That's a good point with the monitors. IPS monitors tend to have deeper blacks, and thus will look darker in dark areas. Whereas TN panels cannot get quite as black, their blacks tend to look more grey'ish. If you work on a TN panel, people with IPS panels will generally see a darker version of your render, and vs.... This is something I wrestled with when designing the light set... Even though IPS is becoming the standard today, many people are still using TN monitors.

I almost thought about having a dual-monitor setup, TN and IPS side-by-side... This way I could get a better idea of what most people will be seeing. Most 3D artists tend to buy the best monitors for color reproduction. But there is something to be said about having what 99% of your clients have. 

-P

By the way, nice work on the rim light for the hair. It really pops in this one.

Ah, that makes sense! Thank you so much! It's been driving me nuts. I've been adjusting things, not sure why people are seeing my stuff darker. I guess I really do need to get a better monitor soon. It is getting pretty long in the tooth/pixels!

edited January 2017

How easy or difficult (if at all) would it be to create a stage spotlight like the attached image with this set?

@DoctorJellybean

This set was not designed to reproduce a stage spotlight, so it may require some tweaking to get the look you want. What I would probably do in your situation, is add a spotlight to your scene for your main stage light, then use my lights for supplemental lighting... The stage light will provide 90% of the total light, while my set can provide the fill lights and rim lights as needed.  

edited January 2017
    Llynara said:
    Ah, that makes sense! Thank you so much! It's been driving me nuts. I've been adjusting things, not sure why people are seeing my stuff darker. I guess I really do need to get a better monitor soon. It is getting pretty long in the tooth/pixels!

You could also try turning down the brightness of your monitor itself (and maybe upping the contrast a little). Windows provides a self-calibration test that you can run. It's not perfect, but it can be helpful. Below is an image from the test. The middle image is the ideal. You should just barely be able to see the "X" on the wall, and tell the difference between the shirt and coat. With TN panels with high gamma, they can probably see the X very easily even on the left image.

(This is one reason why gamers like TN panels so much. They can see campers hiding in the shadows very easily, because everything is lit and nothing is truly black).

I can't see the X at all on this one;

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

This is default settings; with an exception I feel is worth mentioning. I had to adjust the height of a couple of the lights by only a centimetre of two, just to get the eye reflection right.

BOSS lights make what can take the longest time of the whole process, a far more straightforward one; easier to get great results - even me who's rendering skills are not the best.

BOSS test.jpg
    1273 x 1800 - 309K
    edited January 2017
    Llynara said:

You could also try turning down the brightness of your monitor itself (and maybe upping the contrast a little). Windows provides a self-calibration test that you can run. It's not perfect, but it can be helpful. Below is an image from the test. The middle image is the ideal. You should just barely be able to see the "X" on the wall, and tell the difference between the shirt and coat. With TN panels with high gamma, they can probably see the X very easily even on the left image.

(This is one reason why gamers like TN panels so much. They can see campers hiding in the shadows very easily, because everything is lit and nothing is truly black).

Thanks- I had it adjusted and calibrated, stuff turned downed, etc before I added the new video card on Monday. I didn't think to calibrate it again (too excited with shiny new toy!) I'm guessing everything reset itself. I'll go redo them. I'm thinking a second monitor might not be a bad idea. Sure would be interesting to compare- TN vs IPS, side by side.

nicstt said:

This is default settings; with an exception I feel is worth mentioning. I had to adjust the height of a couple of the lights by only a centimetre of two, just to get the eye reflection right.

BOSS lights make what can take the longest time of the whole process, a far more straightforward one; easier to get great results - even me who's rendering skills are not the best.

This is what I have found as well.  I am terrible at setting up lights and its what takes me the longest to do, I can spend a couple hours fiddling with lights and still only get a so so render. For portraits, its pretty much point and shoot and the renders look far better than anything I have done before.

edited January 2017

Just to show how easy these are to adjust, I did a second render of the one above, but lessened the intensity of most of the lights. (I did change the camera angle slightly and fixed the poke through on her leg as well)  I didn't change anything else except to fiddle with the point light which gave me far more trouble than the whole rest of the light set lol.

Pix Ageera .png
    2040 x 1632 - 6M
    edited January 2017

One more pic, can't help myself. This set is so much fun! Meet Tyrren, main character of Eternia, an ancient dark fantasy and comedy series I'm working on about the quest for immortality, and its high price. Click for full pic and then click again to zoom in. BOSS lights and camera settings makes it easy to do extreme closeups. This has opened up many new doors for me. 

Llynara said:

One more pic, can't help myself. This set is so much fun! Meet Tyrren, main character of Eternia, an ancient dark fantasy and comedy series I'm working on about the quest for immortality, and its high price. Click for full pic and then click again to zoom in. BOSS lights and camera settings makes it easy to do extreme closeups. This has opened up many new doors for me. 

Deja vu, I just liked this image on Facebook in a 3D group.  Didn't know you used the BOSS light set, Dying for this to come out especially now.

*waves* Hi Allie! Sorry, didn't mean to tease you. Just having tons of fun with this light set. Should be out very soon.

Darling your renders are totally warming me up for this product. Even went and got Shadowborn

edited January 2017

Me too.  Love these lights

Delphi V4.png
    988 x 988 - 1M
    edited January 2017
    Llynara said:

Really great work on this one Llynara. This looks like a promo image that a top PA would make for their product. yes

-P

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,869

I see many of you have great time with the set. Any idea when it hits the store for anyone else?

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074

@Ice Dragon Art  " I didn't change anything else except to fiddle with the point light which gave me far more trouble than the whole rest of the light set lol"

Why fiddle with a point light at all? This is a case where it would make sense to make the orb emissive. I wouldn't expect it to impact render time sigificantly.

fastbike1 said:

@Ice Dragon Art  " I didn't change anything else except to fiddle with the point light which gave me far more trouble than the whole rest of the light set lol"

Why fiddle with a point light at all? This is a case where it would make sense to make the orb emissive. I wouldn't expect it to impact render time sigificantly.

I did try making it emmissive but it just refused to do what I wanted it to do.  Everytime I turned it up so that it would cast enough light it would totally blow out everything around it.  I don't know enough about lighting to figure out what I was doing wrong, and after a fair amount of time, I gave up and tossed a point light in. And the orb is still blown out  but not as much lol.

Llynara said:

Really great work on this one Llynara. This looks like a promo image that a top PA would make for their product. yes

-P

Thank you! I'm so excited about the results I'm getting with your set. It's amazing! Thanks for letting me test it smiley

Darling your renders are totally warming me up for this product. Even went and got Shadowborn

I'm so glad! And I'm sure you'll enjoy Shadowborn. I do wuv him so. I've got a soft spot for the elf guys. LOL

• dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128

Man every evening before bed I check the sales flip and everyday I pout because no Boss Lights for me.Gotta rely on Painters and Aurous instead. Both excellent products but this looks so very educational.

edited January 2017

Man every evening before bed I check the sales flip and everyday I pout because no Boss Lights for me.

Artini said:

Any idea when it hits the store for anyone else?

@dreamfarmer @Artini

You won't have to wait too much longer. smiley

Congratulations on release.

Well worth it imo.

Heres another although I'm not sure this one meets the tou's for nudity.  Technically, she is covered though.  If the mods need to take it down that's fine.

I'ts a great image, so lets hope not, and lets face - shows far less than 90% of what is in the store.