BOSS Pro Light Set for Portraits & Promos [commercial]

Comments

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,990

I bought this and love the light that it creates. Very nice, indeed!

I ran into a different problem, though. I have many characters that are not "standard size", so the rim lights that should be behind the head are way above them. Is there a simple way, like tying the mannequin to the light set and then using the Y-scale for height, to move the lights into the proper position? 

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited February 2017

I parented the lights to a null, and adjusted the height with that; best way I've found.

I've also gone to the individual lights and adjusted them separately where I didn't need to move all; the null I was moving more often; (you need to unlock them first when adjust individually).

If you change a preset, they are un-parented, but just drag them back on to the null seems to work fine.

Post edited by nicstt on
  • PA_ThePhilosopherPA_ThePhilosopher Posts: 1,039
    edited February 2017
    I did have two sets of lights, but I deleted one of 'em! I interpreted 'step 2' as, well, the next step I should take, originally. And I might have had too many lights left on; I had a little trouble interpreting your shorthand. And I was using NGS 2 on a G2 skin.... Her forehead and her neck are a bit bright but my theory is that because she's not in a default pose and I hadn't learned how to move the lights at that point....

@dreamfarmer

You were correct in your assumption. Step 2 is definitely the next step you take. Once this new update rolls out, the presets in Step 2 will work, so you won't have to load from the "subsets" subfolder.

The subsets folder seems to be causing some confusion for some people. So I am renaming it to "parts" instead, to better convey that it is a component of the preset, a part, but not the preset itself. The  preset is in the root of STEP 2---the difference being, the presets replace your lights in the scene, while the subsets add to them

Darn! I really liked how that guy looked as well. I actually bought the promo lights (excited to use them), but wanted to know who he was so I came in here. :(

Jason

Daz Studio is very much capable of making male faces with that level of detail. It's just that few people actually push it that far. It would, in the first place, require good quality HD topology, together with good lighting of course. :)  

Post edited by PA_ThePhilosopher on
  • BeeMKay said:

I ran into a different problem, though. I have many characters that are not "standard size", so the rim lights that should be behind the head are way above them. Is there a simple way, like tying the mannequin to the light set and then using the Y-scale for height, to move the lights into the proper position? 

I am thinking I may release another update in the future that unlocks all the lights, since this seems to be more of an inconvenience than an aid. My original intention with locking the position of the lights, was to help impress upon people that most of the tweaking should be done by hiding/unhiding lights and adjusting lumens. Moving the lights should only be seen as an advanced thing---hence why they're locked. But for your case, and for others, it seems to be just an inconvenience (since moving the lights may be required for basic scene setup).

-P

edited February 2017

Changing the height slightly was the first thing I did with this one, as the character is slightly petite; I'm actually pleased with this render, I can see issues with the hair, but converted from G2 pretty well (I discovered it due to another thread.)

... But your lights played well with the extra one I added for the 'ball' of fire, or mini star or whatever it is.

Post-work on the glow.

Anahi.jpg
    1273 x 1800 - 251K
    Post edited by nicstt on
    BeeMKay said:

I am thinking I may release another update in the future that unlocks all the lights, since this seems to be more of an inconvenience than an aid. My original intention with locking the position of the lights, was to help impress upon people that most of the tweaking should be done by hiding/unhiding lights and adjusting lumens. Moving the lights should only be seen as an advanced thing---hence why they're locked. But for your case, and for others, it seems to be just an inconvenience (since moving the lights may be required for basic scene setup).

-P

Ah, my problem wasn't as much the movability, but to get the lights into the correct posistion with my smaller people.

I hope I can explain it so that it makes sense. blush  I really like the Mannequin stand in, as I can see where the lights are in relation to each body part. If I use a smaller character (child, or someone who's 5'3" instead of 6'), they reach up to the chest or mid-face of the mannequin, and the lights aren't perfectly positioned. Now, it is rather simple to adjust the height of the mannequin, so it fits the figure again. But of course, the lights don't move down (or up if you deal with a 7' giant) with the height of the mannequin. So when you move them manually, you are back to guesswork. 

Also... on the topic of locks... how about just making a position locked, and an unlocked preset? Those who like to tinker around can load the unlocked set, those who "plug and play" can't mess up their light setup by accident.

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    edited February 2017

If it's not a full length shot and you can't see the floor, I've had good luck lifting the smaller person up to the right height to meet the lights. You could also try scaling the light set to match the scale of the person. This month I'm playing with rendering food under these lights. Should be interesting! 

Post edited by Llynara on
  • iSeeThisiSeeThis Posts: 552
    edited February 2017

I"ve just bought it today and I have got two questions.

1) When I double clicked SCRIPT icon, there was nothing happen (not a change it the current scene tab). How can I know if there is any change? It seems that the consequence you give us is to run script first and add light preset later. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

2) Is there any ways to make light prop invisible (but remain light)?

Post edited by iSeeThis on
    iSeeThis said:

I"ve just bought it today. When I double clicked SCRIPT icon, there was nothing happen (not a change it the current scene tab). How can I know if there is any change? It seems that the consequence you give us is to run script first and add light preset later. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

There's going to be an update to fix the issue ( the topic is discussed some posts above, and on the previous page). There's also a workaround described.

Llynara said:

If it's not a full length shot and you can't see the floor, I've had good luck lifting the smaller person up to the right height to meet the lights. You could also try scaling the light set to match the scale of the person. This month I'm playing with rendering food under these lights. Should be interesting! 

Yes, moving up was what I ended up doing as well. The only problem is when you are doing a full body shot, or a different camera angle.

• iSeeThisiSeeThis Posts: 552
    BeeMKay said:
    iSeeThis said:

There's going to be an update to fix the issue ( the topic is discussed some posts above, and on the previous page). There's also a workaround described.

Thank you! I will find it.

edited February 2017

@iSeeThis @BeeMKay @dreamfarmer @FusionLA @Lindsey @Redz @vwrangler @barbult

Hey guys,

Just to let you all know, the update rolled out earlier today. So you should be able to load the presets (in STEP 2 folder) now with no problem.

Thanks again for your patience, as always,

-P

• I'm super happy with these lights.  I'm not completely sure I'm using them exactly the right way yet.  I'll have to play with them more.  Anyway, I thought I'd share my first renders.  The first one was just the default setup which was nice and the first time I've ever used a light set straight out of the box and didn't have to tweak it to look good.  No postwork.  That mannequin was a great idea.  The second image, I played with a different preset, played with the base and diffuse colors one of the backdrops as I needed something a little bit more dramatic for this render.  The second image has a little bit of postwork.  There are two more non-postworked images on my thread as I kind of posted my progression in using these lights on this image on my thread to my final image posted here if anyone is interested in seeing how I got from the first image to the last one.

• sueyasueya Posts: 826
    edited February 2017

@iSeeThis @BeeMKay @dreamfarmer @FusionLA @Lindsey @Redz @vwrangler @barbult

Hey guys,

Just to let you all know, the update rolled out earlier today. So you should be able to load the presets (in STEP 2 folder) now with no problem.

Thanks again for your patience, as always,

-P

Please can you reply to the message I sent you yesterday. I wanted to know if beta testers are entitled to a copy of the update.

Post edited by sueya on
  • Suzan,

Your version of the light set should work just fine. It was only the released version---the one that went through QA---that got broken (due to a move of the files). 

-P

• GoggerGogger Posts: 2,309
    edited February 2017

Yeah, I'm liking these lightrs very much!  Thanks for sharing/making/selling them!

Lucille_Zombie_BOSS_Lights_3D_Erik_Pedersen.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 153K
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • NathNath Posts: 2,719
    edited February 2017

Picked up SC Joy in Fastgrab and rendered her with the BOSS lights and a bit of postwork. I'm glad I got the lights, they're excellent:-)

SC Joy, Soleil Hair and Hobby Clothes.

20170203_Joy_postwork.jpg
    775 x 900 - 145K
    Post edited by Nath on
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 1,084

I just picked up the light set. I am currently learning how to use them. What little I have been clumsily able to do looks pretty good though.

edited February 2017

@knittingmommy and @nath - Great renders!

@Sigurd - Once you get used to them, they truly are amazing lights. I've done renders that I didn't even think were possible for my current skill level in DAZ. Really great set, can't recommend it enough. 

@Gogger - Love the dramatic lights with those eyes! Wow, that's cool!

Here's one I did of Mariposa, coming soon from DarwinsMishap. She looks great in BOSS! The lights just caress her skin.

Note: I didn't make any special adjustments, this is one of the default presets.

• SigurdSigurd Posts: 1,084

Thanks for the encouragement Llynara, I look forward to having a little time to play with this set shortly.

• I do have a question: I purchased this great light system, I loaded michael 7 and ran through all 3 steps, no changes to settings. My characters skin is red. so I loaded personally created models. The same, I have to really jack up the lumens in order to see his skin correctly. Not sure why. Thanks!

I do have a question: I purchased this great light system, I loaded michael 7 and ran through all 3 steps, no changes to settings. My characters skin is red. so I loaded personally created models. The same, I have to really jack up the lumens in order to see his skin correctly. Not sure why. Thanks!

post a pic if you can; it shouldn't be at red using default, there is something wrong somewhere.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    nicstt said:

I do have a question: I purchased this great light system, I loaded michael 7 and ran through all 3 steps, no changes to settings. My characters skin is red. so I loaded personally created models. The same, I have to really jack up the lumens in order to see his skin correctly. Not sure why. Thanks!

post a pic if you can; it shouldn't be at red using default, there is something wrong somewhere.

yes, I did probably 20 or more different renders with this light set and never had a character come out red.

• I tried using this product but I didn't get the results you all seem to get. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. But I did read the manual, which I plan to read again.

I did find the product in Smart content and then I chose Explore Product, so I could see all the pieces together. There were some icons that showed three steps. So I followed them. The first step showed 3 icons. I wasn't sure if I was suppose to select one of them or all of them. The first one I tried closed my scene and created a new one with a red "stick" figure. I closed that and reloaded my scene and chose the one that said subset and then I clicked on the one that said render (settings?). Then I went on to step 2. I chose one of the ones for full body, which is what my figure was. (I didn't do step 3 as I had already loaded that Build a room product. And then I rendered. It didn't look too bad although there was a red square on part of the floor that I didn't put there and it wasn't there when I previously rendered the scene with different lights. But the scene only render for maybe 7-8 minutes and then it decided it was done. I never saw the yellow bar at all, and my scene was still somewhat grainy in areas. I would have let it run longer...at least until the graininess was gone.

Eventually I deleted the lights and tried adding my own, but that render ended too soon to. Less than 10 minutes and no yellow bar.

Finally I reset the render defaults and tried my own lights again and that time I got a good render that ran for about an hour (with a yellow bar.)

So I'm guessing that one of the icons from the BOSS product altered my render settings and that is why I got the abbreviated renders. And I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. And maybe someone can point out the error of my ways. Meanwhile I'll check out the pdf again.

Thanks.

edited February 2017

Here's what I do in the test version. I'm planning on purchasing the published set soon, but for now I don't have the subset folders and I can't see it in Smart Content. I have noticed that loading the set seems to reset the render settings. My solution is to merge the set into the scene (see below.)

Here's my method, hope it helps: 

1. Go to Content Library->My DAZ Library->Lights->BOSS Portrait Light Set
    2. Double click on Step 1 to load the full set. If I already have a figure in my scene, I right click and choose "Merge Into Scene" (bonus: doesn't change the render settings!) Note: Keep your favorite render settings saved as a render preset in case you forget or mess something up. Then they are just a click away.
    3. Under the Step 2 folder, choose what light set up you want to use.
    4. In your scene, change the camera in the drop down "View" list to see your scene through the right camera and make adjustments as needed.
    5. In the scene navigation window (that lists all the objects in the scene) go to BOSS Light Set Props and turn off the mannequin and color card, then select the Seamless Backdrop.
    6. Under Step 3, choose your seamless backdrop color. 
    7. In the scene navigation, go to BOSS Lights and turn off "Best Camera Angle" if you're doing a full length shot.
    8. Now make any final adjustments in your viewport for the camera, adjust lights as desired, and your render settings. 
    9. Hit render and have fun! 

If I remember right, it was red in the preview only, not the render? That one has me stumped!

edited February 2017
    KevinH said:

I tried using this product but I didn't get the results you all seem to get. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. But I did read the manual, which I plan to read again.

I did find the product in Smart content and then I chose Explore Product, so I could see all the pieces together. There were some icons that showed three steps. So I followed them. The first step showed 3 icons. I wasn't sure if I was suppose to select one of them or all of them. The first one I tried closed my scene and created a new one with a red "stick" figure. I closed that and reloaded my scene and chose the one that said subset and then I clicked on the one that said render (settings?). Then I went on to step 2. I chose one of the ones for full body, which is what my figure was. (I didn't do step 3 as I had already loaded that Build a room product. And then I rendered. It didn't look too bad although there was a red square on part of the floor that I didn't put there and it wasn't there when I previously rendered the scene with different lights. But the scene only render for maybe 7-8 minutes and then it decided it was done. I never saw the yellow bar at all, and my scene was still somewhat grainy in areas. I would have let it run longer...at least until the graininess was gone.

Eventually I deleted the lights and tried adding my own, but that render ended too soon to. Less than 10 minutes and no yellow bar.

Finally I reset the render defaults and tried my own lights again and that time I got a good render that ran for about an hour (with a yellow bar.)

So I'm guessing that one of the icons from the BOSS product altered my render settings and that is why I got the abbreviated renders. And I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. And maybe someone can point out the error of my ways. Meanwhile I'll check out the pdf again.

Thanks.

@KevinH

I recommend using the "Content Library" pane instead of the "Smart Content" pane to load the light set. It is much easier to see how everything is organized, as each folder is its own step. 

Also, the reason why your scene stops rendering so quickly is my render settings are set to 100 iterations by default. I have found that 100 iterations is sufficient for setting up a scene, and does not stress the GPUs too much. Then, when you are ready to render the final beauty shot, switch to the default 5,000 or whatever you need.

Llynara's directions (in the post above this one) are helpful. I would follow them carefully.

-P

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    Llynara said:

Here's what I do in the test version. I'm planning on purchasing the published set soon, but for now I don't have the subset folders and I can't see it in Smart Content. I have noticed that loading the set seems to reset the render settings. My solution is to merge the set into the scene (see below.)

Here's my method, hope it helps: 

1. Go to Content Library->My DAZ Library->Lights->BOSS Portrait Light Set
    2. Double click on Step 1 to load the full set. If I already have a figure in my scene, I right click and choose "Merge Into Scene" (bonus: doesn't change the render settings!) Note: Keep your favorite render settings saved as a render preset in case you forget or mess something up. Then they are just a click away.
    3. Under the Step 2 folder, choose what light set up you want to use.
    4. In your scene, change the camera in the drop down "View" list to see your scene through the right camera and make adjustments as needed.
    5. In the scene navigation window (that lists all the objects in the scene) go to BOSS Light Set Props and turn off the mannequin and color card, then select the Seamless Backdrop.
    6. Under Step 3, choose your seamless backdrop color. 
    7. In the scene navigation, go to BOSS Lights and turn off "Best Camera Angle" if you're doing a full length shot.
    8. Now make any final adjustments in your viewport for the camera, adjust lights as desired, and your render settings. 
    9. Hit render and have fun! 

This is how I do it as well.  I always merge into the scene or drag and drop into the scene then it doesn't change my render settings or try to restart the scene.  (there are quite a few light setups that are set up this way, I'm guessing because having a clean scene from scratch makes sure nothing interferes with the settings).  Everyone's work flow is different, I tend to build my character then add lights.  Having the mannequin pop in is quite helpful then as I know if my character is where it should be.  I adjust then delete any helpers I don't need. Do make sure you explore all the different cameras provided, there are quite a few, and I have yet to find a myself needing to add a camera, he has it pretty well covered.

• Digital Lite DesignDigital Lite Design Posts: 728
    edited February 2017

Fantastic set!

(as always, click on image for full size)

hiphop.jpg
    1074 x 1374 - 605K
    Post edited by Digital Lite Design on
  • MendomanMendoman Posts: 401

@Knittingmommy Wow, that first image looks like a painting. I've been looking that kind of style with postwork for quite some time now. Did you use some special skin settings, or just default G3M skin?