FirstBastion's Upcoming Lineup [commercial]

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,215
    Cybersox said:

Toronto's been known as Hollywood North for years, though Vancouver certainly has plenty of productions too. American productions come up north to take advantage of the lower Canadian$. I worked on various productions in the early 2000's when I was younger and tolerated 13 hour days and 12 hour turnarounds. They were generally direct to DVD B movies features with budgets around 5 million range with crews between 50-70. Credits include the AD department (Assistant Director both 1st and 2nd)

Not just the lower Canadian$, but also the much easier Union terms.  Though the main reason Hollywood came knocking in the first place was some exptremely attractive financing incentives that the Canadian government allowed back in the late 70s and early 80s, where investors in Canadian films could deduct 100% of the cost of their investment on their taxes, with the primary condition beign that the film had to use a mainly Canadian Crew and cast.  Thus we had there was a huge wave of so called "tax shelter " films like Porky's, Meatballs, My Bloody Valentine, Prom NIght, Quest For FIre and Shivers, usually starring Canadians with some U.S. recognition like Bill Murray, Dan Ackroyd and John Candy, and launching the careers of Canadian-based Directors and Producers like David Cronenberg and Ivan Reitman.   

Tax schemes are also responsible for Uwe Boll's career, so it's a double-edged sword.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,373
    Gordig said:

Tax schemes are also responsible for Uwe Boll's career, so it's a double-edged sword.

Interesting you mentioned sword. He had a serious budget for In the Name of the King and squandered it royally.

• Gordig said:

Interesting you mentioned sword. He had a serious budget for In the Name of the King and squandered it royally.

Interesting reading.

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,708
    edited March 2020
    mavante said:

Built an Inland Marina  https://www.daz3d.com/1stb-inland-marina

I just purchased this, hoping to use it in a music video animation I'm working on, and I just had to stop by to say what an amazing product it is. The attention to detail and the "reality factor" infused into those details sets new heights that I hope will inspire other world-makers.

Thank you for this addition to your many wonderful creations. I think it deserves its own thread here, and a lot more attention than I've seen it get

I second that emotion! I remember loading Inland Marina and doing some test renders. The vertical and horizontal scene was planned so well that the set gave the impression that it was even larger than it is. I have a story arc in which the heroine returns to her hometown, which is long past is best days, and she goes out to the dock which formerly was bustling with business yada yada yada.

So, BIG UPS to you FirstBastion, sir, for filling all the niches that you fill. And since you said you didn't mind seeing your work in action (did you say that?), here's a render I remembered that I was going to enter into your contest from years back, but it didn't live up to my expectations for it. This uses the fabulous High Cliff Crossing, which could be a staple of fantasy renders if people remembered/knew about it:

FB3-Runaway16hrd91%.png
    3300 x 1100 - 6M
    Post edited by xyer0 on

Thanks guys for the positive comments! It is always nice to here and see the stuff getting put to good use.  I definitely like seeing images in action so you are always more than welcome to post.  Cool  transform how you  flattened out the terrain,  gives it a an almost sedimentary rock look. I do hope that servant gets away from the centurian.

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,762
    NorthOf45 said:

I would love to see a revival of Arctic Research One, with interiors. Maybe some equipment to scatter around, although that could be kit-bashed. Had my eye on that one, but it went away before I could get around to it.

There are way too many products like that... here one day, gone the next without warning.  I try not to let things sit on my wishlist too long (only seven items to go until I have a full current set of First Bastion sets!)... but I'd totally forgot about this one until you posted that link.   

edited March 2020
    Gordig said:

Interesting reading.

The one thing that has to be said about Boll is that all of his films do, eventually, make money, thanks to home video and people who want to watch them just to see if they're as bad as they're supposed to be.  Then again, if Ed Wood was alive today, he'd be a pretty wealthy guy too if he'd actually kept ownership of his films.  People remember great films and they remember junk, it's the vast sea of mediocre between the two that usually gets forgotten.  Hence the reason people still watch Reptilicus and Hercules In New York, but how many people have seen Cavalcade, which inexplicably won the Oscar for best picture in 1933 over a host of classic films that include King Kong, I Am a Fugitive From A Chain Gang, 42nd Street, A Farewell To Arms, The Private Life of King Henry VIII, and She Done Him Wrong?  

Post edited by Cybersox on
    Cybersox said:

only seven items to go until I have a full current set

Thank you kindly for the support ! Hope you put them to good use.

NorthOf45 said:

I would love to see a revival of Arctic Research One, with interiors. Maybe some equipment to scatter around, although that could be kit-bashed. Had my eye on that one, but it went away before I could get around to it.

Now that's going back a few years. I liked the concept of that one,  but it didn't sell well at the time. If I can figure out how to get the "pods" idea as part of a larger set it may offer more appeal. It's tough when you make something,  but sales don't even cover the time involved.  And with today's standards  a lot more details and industrial elements would need to be part of the rebuild.

There's a bunch of things I've already said I'd get done first,  so it will be down the list quite a bit.

I always liked this promo worthy image by SimonJM at the Arctic Reserach base though it has a more Lunar feel.

Luckily I have this sightings thread to help me find these images.   https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/28809/firstbastion-sightings-commercial-sort-of/p1

Cybersox said:

The one thing that has to be said about Boll is that all of his films do, eventually, make money, thanks to home video and people who want to watch them just to see if they're as bad as they're supposed to be. 

The third installment of " in the name of the king"  with Dominic Purcell is surprisingly watchable on Netflix. It's like they borrowed 5-6 parts of better films and mimicked them into a cohesive whole, from camera angles to editting style.

• I noticed that you have a new product in the store. It will be very useful, thanks.

Great to hear. Thanks.  I always strive for useful.

Dang. I bought that yesterday and was hoping you were announcing something new today... ;)
    Seriously, though, it's an awesome product as is, but a few add on packs with different textures/vegetation would make it even better.

Cybersox said:

Dang. I bought that yesterday and was hoping you were announcing something new today... ;)
    Seriously, though, it's an awesome product as is, but a few add on packs with different textures/vegetation would make it even better.

I second that emotion, but I fear FB is a hit-it-and-quit-it type of guy. I wanted ramps for the Divided Highway and shops for the Mall, but they never happened. I guess they didn't sell enough.

Gimme a chance, I'm just one guy working at a computer, and its been taking a toll on these tired old eyes. I'll see what can get done.

OK.

edited June 2020

Something I've been working on 1stB Brookside Path

1stB-brookside-path-790-iray.jpg
    780 x 439 - 230K
    Post edited by FirstBastion on
  • GreybroGreybro Posts: 2,486
    edited June 2020

Something I've been working on 1stB Brookside Path

Your sets always feel so optimistic and positive.

Post edited by Greybro on

I have to admit, it's one of my favorite past times is to get out into nature, hike around,  and snap pictures. The air is fresher out there too.  Does a body good.

Thanks for the forest add-on FB! Please pardon my previous prejudgment.

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,279

Just got your latest looking forward to the next one

edited June 2020

Thank you and as mentioned before I always like seeing renders if anyone want to post 'em  they're always welcomed.

Speaking of, I'll put post another one. 

1stB-brookside-path-600.jpg
    600 x 780 - 327K
    Post edited by FirstBastion on
  • Thank you and as mentioned before I always like seeing renders if anyone want to post 'em  they're always welcomed.

Speaking of, I'll put post another one. 

Willl it include the body under the patio?

I'd  like to think I'm fairly aware of pop culture but I'm not sure of the reference you're suggesting?

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,215

I'd  like to think I'm fairly aware of pop culture but I'm not sure of the reference you're suggesting?

A British soap opera called Brookside. The Wikipedia synopsis for this particular plot thread includes the phrase "falling pregnant", which I find rather bewildering and had never heard before. Is that a common Britishism?

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,158
    Gordig said:

A British soap opera called Brookside. The Wikipedia synopsis for this particular plot thread includes the phrase "falling pregnant", which I find rather bewildering and had never heard before. Is that a common Britishism?

Fairly common, mostly for accidentals.

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,756
    edited June 2020

I grabbed both Long Road environment and add-on when they came out. Living in the Western United States I know this vista too well. Today I tried to create an image I see all too often, trucks and fast cars trying to pass a slower one, without checking for on-coming traffic, or it popping up when it comes up over a hill. 

Add: The mountains in the background come from Skies of Gaia Vol 2.

First Bastion, thank you for a great set of products.

Mary

Click on attachment for full size.

Mountain Highway Bad Decisions II.png
    2500 x 1854 - 8M
    Post edited by memcneil70 on

Mary, what a great shot,  thank you for posting it. You captured the dangers of the small two lane road shortcuts and the rush rush attitude of some drivers. If its okay with you I'd add it to my "Sightings" forum thread.

Gordig said:

We've had Coronation Street running for 20-30 years here across the Pond in Canada, but I didn't know of any other British Soap, So Brookside Close is news to me. I did followup with a bit of research, and now the references make more sense. It sounds like good gritty television. Maybe it'll show up on Netflix someday.  I do recognize Anna Friel from playing Lady Clare in Timeline and her Odelle character in  American Odyssey. 

For the record, no patio in the scene. ;-) Plenty of nooks and crannies though to bury other things.

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,756

@FirstBastion, Wow, that would be an honor. Thank you for the compliment.

Mary