Josh Crockett Suggestion Page for Monster Characters!

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,040
    edited April 2017

nevermind I am starting a specific thread on the topic someone else may be able to answer though I am not hopefiul

People are only interested in stuff working in just DAZ studio

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,378
    edited April 2017

What I'd like to see is a huge, muscular guy built along the proportions of The Hulk in Joss Whedon's Avenger movies.  Someone who goes way beyond the Freak character.  I suspect that a completly new mesh would be required, I doubt the existing Genesis figures would take such an extreme morph without something breaking.

Cheers,

Alex.

Post edited by alexhcowley on
  • What I'd like to see is a huge, muscular guy built along the proportions of The Hulk in Joss Whedon's Avenger movies.  Someone who goes way beyond the Freak character.  I suspect that a completly new mesh would be required, I doubt the existing Genesis figures would take such an extreme morph without something breaking.

Cheers,

Alex.

I'm quite sure it's possible to go big with G3 as we have had things like The Savage for Freak 5 in the past  

https://www.daz3d.com/the-savage-freak5

Althought it was for Genesis, it is pretty much the same process for creating morphs

There's also this for Genesis 2 https://www.daz3d.com/genesis-2-swole-for-the-minotaur-6

• I made this suggestion in the "Dinosaurs and Kaiju" forum, but I see that you actually possess the talent for this:  I would love to see some Jack Kirby-inspired big monsters from you, but with the edge apparent in your existing work.  You know, the big monsters with the silly names (Lo-Bak-Rah", as an example).  Some of your already-existing work meets the criteria.  Whatever you come up with, I know it's gonna be impressive.

Josh, I went to monsterfaces.net and checked out your work.  To say I was blown away would be an understatement.  I'd say that there are quite a few who'd fit the "monstrous Space-Conqueror" I described.  Overall, my favorites are numbers 1, 8, 9,16, 43, 61, 75, 78, and 87.  I hope at least a few up these beauties will be available for Genesis 1 or will be able to play nicely (or "not so nicely") with all flavors of Genesis.  Whatever you choose, I'll definitely add it to my menagerie.  Thanks!

Great ideas and thank you for the compliments

• RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037
    edited April 2017

Every Genesis generation has some variant of the classic Hammer Films monsters (Dracula, Werewolf by night, Frankenstein, Mummy, etc.) I would love a set as reinterpreted by you. Your Frankenstien's Monster from your website is on point! More of this,. please. :)

Post edited by RKane_1 on
  • RKane_1 said:

Every Genesis generation has some variant of the classic Hammer Films monsters (Dracula, Werewolf by night, Frankenstein, Mummy, etc.) I would love a set as reinterpreted by you. Your Frankenstien's Monster from your website is on point! More of this,. please. :)

Great idea

• nomad-ads_8ecd56922enomad-ads_8ecd56922e Posts: 1,935
    edited April 2017

I'm an alien guy the more aliens the better.

More aliens in the works

Speaking of aliens....  Okay, not exactly "monster" territory particularly, but one thing I've kinda been wanting for awhile is a really CUTE sort of preteen-kid grey-alien character, ideally something based on Genesis3 kids.

Post edited by nomad-ads_8ecd56922e on

I must also second the request for some alien baddies as well as well as just some other galactic races as well that makind may live in harmony with.

• XenomorphineXenomorphine Posts: 2,421

I'd love to finally see a genuine insectoid/arachnoid monstrosity in the store. A spider/scorpion/mantis-human hybrid with more than one set of arms and articulated 'Predator'-like jaws instead of the usual human mouths many creatures in the store have. Something properly Lovecraftian and utterly devoid of any overly human features. Like if a Lovecraft film had been put into production and HR Giger was comissioned to design the creatures. :)

A lot of Tyranid designs, from the 'Warhammer 40K' series, could serve as inspiration for how exotic a truly alien predatory species could be:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/56/3c/22/563c22706101853abe1dbf4835e88f1f.jpg

Would also like to see a reptile warrior, like Reptilian 6 was, except with more crocodilian features, like elongated jaws. Possibly with an optional serpent's trunk geograft below the waist.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,958

There seem to be a lot of calls for insectoid creatures.

If I ever manage to get my hands on 3d coat (anyone have a spare hundred dollars or two?), I want to try a morph like that, but obviously it'd be better from Crockett (since he has access to HD morph tools)

• I'm an alien guy the more aliens the better.

More aliens in the works

Speaking of aliens....  Okay, not exactly "monster" territory particularly, but one thing I've kinda been wanting for awhile is a really CUTE sort of preteen-kid grey-alien character, ideally something based on Genesis3 kids.

I think Rawart may have something in that direction, althought it might be fore Genesis 2

• I'd love to finally see a genuine insectoid/arachnoid monstrosity in the store. A spider/scorpion/mantis-human hybrid with more than one set of arms and articulated 'Predator'-like jaws instead of the usual human mouths many creatures in the store have. Something properly Lovecraftian and utterly devoid of any overly human features. Like if a Lovecraft film had been put into production and HR Giger was comissioned to design the creatures. :)

A lot of Tyranid designs, from the 'Warhammer 40K' series, could serve as inspiration for how exotic a truly alien predatory species could be:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/56/3c/22/563c22706101853abe1dbf4835e88f1f.jpg

Would also like to see a reptile warrior, like Reptilian 6 was, except with more crocodilian features, like elongated jaws. Possibly with an optional serpent's trunk geograft below the waist.

I definitely have an insectoid design in mind that will utilize G3, probably down the road at some point as I'm tied up with film work right now

• There seem to be a lot of calls for insectoid creatures.

If I ever manage to get my hands on 3d coat (anyone have a spare hundred dollars or two?), I want to try a morph like that, but obviously it'd be better from Crockett (since he has access to HD morph tools)

3d coat is great. I prefer Zbrush for morph sculpting. You don't necessarily need HD morph technology to make a really nice morph, though it helps. Normal maps usually suffice for seconday sculptural detail if you don't have access to HD. Or, better yet, become a PA and get access to it :) Would love to have you on board with the PA family Will

Please hear me out. 

I have always wondered about applying convetional special effects methods into a 3D format/environment.

Particularly appliances. If you wanted to make a mutant with an additional arm coming out of their armpit below the regular one in the "real" world, then you would make an articulation, hopefully with a robotic aspect for movement and then model latex over that to make it appear as if it blends with the person.

I have always thought it was an interesting idea to make a piece of "clothing" (i.e. a conforming model) with an articulated part added to it to function as an appendage. The edge of the "clothing" can be blended by making the texture of the skin similarly eviscertated helping obscure the edge. You could have a malformed mutant whose right is bubbling flesh, an eyeball or two and an extra appendage.

Something I would also suggest, we have too much symmetry in our monsters. Throw some asymmetrical designs in there. Something asymetrical is intrinsically unsettlling and I believe would work well, especially in monsters.

Just my two cents. :)

Also, I would love to see a series based upon Night Breed and Hellraiser. 

Make is so! *chuckle*

I loved the Night Breed concept and these odd, obscure monsters and men warped by fate and desire and perhaps dabbling with things they should not have. "Midian is where the monsters go."

• Daywalker DesignsDaywalker Designs Posts: 3,586
    edited April 2017
    RKane_1 said:

Please hear me out. 

I have always wondered about applying convetional special effects methods into a 3D format/environment.

Particularly appliances. If you wanted to make a mutant with an additional arm coming out of their armpit below the regular one in the "real" world, then you would make an articulation, hopefully with a robotic aspect for movement and then model latex over that to make it appear as if it blends with the person.

I have always thought it was an interesting idea to make a piece of "clothing" (i.e. a conforming model) with an articulated part added to it to function as an appendage. The edge of the "clothing" can be blended by making the texture of the skin similarly eviscertated helping obscure the edge. You could have a malformed mutant whose right is bubbling flesh, an eyeball or two and an extra appendage.

Something I would also suggest, we have too much symmetry in our monsters. Throw some asymmetrical designs in there. Something asymetrical is intrinsically unsettlling and I believe would work well, especially in monsters.

Just my two cents. :)

You mean like ERIC here? wink laugh Work in progress; he's not going to look nearly so happy when I'm done with him.

ERIC_prototype_1_WIP.png
    1000 x 1300 - 2M
    Post edited by Daywalker Designs on

I can't quite afford 3D coat, and Zbrush is alas twice as much!

As for PA, not going to happen, but I appreciate the notion.

I glanced at the title and was like 'oh great, another pretty boy with big stupid wings.'

I was happily wrong. ;)

(Also, given finances, I might just break down and go with Surface Painter, because that's only $10/month until you pay it off)

• I glanced at the title and was like 'oh great, another pretty boy with big stupid wings.'

I was happily wrong. ;)

LOL nah, homie don't play dat

This dude had his wings chopped off in the fall from heaven

• XenomorphineXenomorphine Posts: 2,421

I like the mouth on that! Was the head inspired by the Beast, from 'Krull'? It reminds me of that.

Going to have to disagree with RKane, however. A sense of symmetry is the one thing which I find is vital for creatures. It's bad enough when a human character has a blemish on their face, making it impossible to slightly morph the same character and use several of them in one scene (family relatives and such), but monsters/creatures absolutely need to be able to be depicted in a group.

For instance, I loved the face of Abhorrentus, but the creator missed a sale from me, specifically because of how it has that assymmetrical spike on only one shoulder and not the other. There isn't any way I'd be able to render more than one of them in a single scene (and I would have actually needed it to have done that) and not look weird. Symmetry allows multiple creatures of the same 'species' in a single scene to be believable. If the maker of that character had at least allowed for the spikes to be turned on/off, that would have been an acceptable compromise, but without that? No sale from me until it has a drastic discount in some future sale. And that's a real shame, because the face is amazingly unique and clearly had some excellent work put into crafting it. :(

Fortunately, it looks as if this new Fallen One character could now possibly occupy that niche for me. :)

I like the mouth on that! Was the head inspired by the Beast, from 'Krull'? It reminds me of that.

Going to have to disagree with RKane, however. A sense of symmetry is the one thing which I find is vital for creatures. It's bad enough when a human character has a blemish on their face, making it impossible to slightly morph the same character and use several of them in one scene (family relatives and such), but monsters/creatures absolutely need to be able to be depicted in a group.

For instance, I loved the face of Abhorrentus, but the creator missed a sale from me, specifically because of how it has that assymmetrical spike on only one shoulder and not the other. There isn't any way I'd be able to render more than one of them in a single scene (and I would have actually needed it to have done that) and not look weird. Symmetry allows multiple creatures of the same 'species' in a single scene to be believable. If the maker of that character had at least allowed for the spikes to be turned on/off, that would have been an acceptable compromise, but without that? No sale from me until it has a drastic discount in some future sale. And that's a real shame, because the face is amazingly unique and clearly had some excellent work put into crafting it. :(

Fortunately, it looks as if this new Fallen One character could now possibly occupy that niche for me. :)

So you are saying it's asymmetry unseetled you? :) Point made.

I am sorry, but I am just tired of Hell of total symmetry. For instance I LOVED the new figure Dale because his features had a hint of assymetry. THE WORLD IS NOT PERFECT!  Make it weird, people. :)

• LintonLinton Posts: 542

Drider/Drachnid

Sphinx

Griffon, NOT the DAZ Big Cat with Wings. Full Eagle head, forelegs of an eagle, back half of a lion, and the tail of either a serpent, or long feathers.

Fungus monsters, (myconids - EverQuest II franchise), plaguebeast (Phyrexians of Magic the Gathering style).

Creatures with tentacles for fingers, similar to the what the Prawns have in District 9, 3, 4, and 5 finger options, or even 2 fingers with high flexibility. Squid-like chromatophores and illuminatable sections most welcome.

Crab-like hands and mandibles that can be attached to a face for human or animals as hybrids.

• nomad-ads_8ecd56922enomad-ads_8ecd56922e Posts: 1,935
    edited April 2017

I'm an alien guy the more aliens the better.

More aliens in the works

I think Rawart may have something in that direction, althought it might be fore Genesis 2

(Goes and does a search through RawArt's stuff.)  Hmmmm... the HyGrey aliens are kinda closer to what I'm looking for, but oddly seem to have a slight bit too much Alien Nation about them to quite fit what I'm looking for.  On the other hand, the K4 Grey Alien kid is kinda growing on me a bit.  He's cute, I might get him later.

On the other hand, what I'm really looking for is something with a far more almond-shaped head, very much like the first three images in the enclosed screengrab, only with the head maybe about half the size seen in the image, or smaller. Grownup and kid versions would make sense, so there could be families. It would need to be usable in both a sorta-cartoon environment AND a sorta-live-action-ish environment without looking out of place in either.

Edited to add: Hmmm... now that I go back and look more closely, some of the other headmorphs in the K4 Grey Alien pictures DO look a little more almond-shaped.  Okay, maybe he WILL do. :)

cute grey alien isquick 20170413.png
    582 x 452 - 166K
    Post edited by nomad-ads_8ecd56922e on
  • RKane_1 said:

Make is so! *chuckle*

I loved the Night Breed concept and these odd, obscure monsters and men warped by fate and desire and perhaps dabbling with things they should not have. "Midian is where the monsters go."

Funny enough, I did a "nightbreedian" type creature recently for some film concept work. Would make a cool figure, though I'm not quite sure how the bets way to handle those crazy quills would be. I'd have to experiment with that.

More aliens in the works

(Goes and does a search through RawArt's stuff.)  Hmmmm... the HyGrey aliens are kinda closer to what I'm looking for, but oddly seem to have a slight bit too much Alien Nation about them to quite fit what I'm looking for.  On the other hand, the K4 Grey Alien kid is kinda growing on me a bit.  He's cute, I might get him later.

On the other hand, what I'm really looking for is something with a far more almond-shaped head, very much like the first three images in the enclosed screengrab, only with the head maybe about half the size seen in the image, or smaller. Grownup and kid versions would make sense, so there could be families. It would need to be usable in both a sorta-cartoon environment AND a sorta-live-action-ish environment without looking out of place in either.

Edited to add: Hmmm... now that I go back and look more closely, some of the other headmorphs in the K4 Grey Alien pictures DO look a little more almond-shaped.  Okay, maybe he WILL do. :)

How cutesie are we talking about here? haha

• alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,378

What I'd like to see is a huge, muscular guy built along the proportions of The Hulk in Joss Whedon's Avenger movies.  Someone who goes way beyond the Freak character.  I suspect that a completly new mesh would be required, I doubt the existing Genesis figures would take such an extreme morph without something breaking.

Cheers,

Alex.

I'm quite sure it's possible to go big with G3 as we have had things like The Savage for Freak 5 in the past  

https://www.daz3d.com/the-savage-freak5

Althought it was for Genesis, it is pretty much the same process for creating morphs

There's also this for Genesis 2 https://www.daz3d.com/genesis-2-swole-for-the-minotaur-6

Josh,

Thanks for the links. I have added the g2 swole one to my wishlist.

Cheers,

Alex.

More aliens in the works

How cutesie are we talking about here? haha

Uhmm.....  huggably? :D

On the other hand, after some more poking around in the search here for alien stuff... I noticed the MyLilAlien character has an almond-shaped head pretty close to what I'd been picturing in my... uh.... head, but that one is a grownup lady alien.  >>giggles<<  I might grab her at some point, too, though.  One can never have too many aliens.  :D

edited April 2017
    RKane_1 said:

Make is so! *chuckle*

Funny enough, I did a "nightbreedian" type creature recently for some film concept work. Would make a cool figure, though I'm not quite sure how the bets way to handle those crazy quills would be. I'd have to experiment with that.

Fibermesh if you use ZBrush?

Post edited by RKane_1 on