Josh Crockett Suggestion Page for Monster Characters!

Comments

• you should check out Josh's website link under his sig andhis quote empty postering can be most irritating, he's done a lot of cool stuff outside of daz and daz related from some of his comments sounds like he's still learning or just being extemely modest though in a way any artist is still learning but ome of his creatures he's sculpted would blow you away and wish we had a lot of them to play in daz as well betting we're going to see some really interesting wow stuff from him and a lot of others stuff coming out lately from many her has been getting better and better probably everyone is really pushing their "A" game probably get to the stage a lot of stuff looks like out of a cgi movie/game way things are going

• we have a centaur now so a scorpion king and queen would be cool

Hopefully without nipples... What the hell were they thinking with putting those into natural armour?!

That's pretty funny. That's a Neville Page design. I'm curious to know what he'd have to say about that.

I didn't think it was armor thought was part of the skin texture blending scorpion and the rock like how with a mermaid's tail scales blend in with the human skin parts

Just kind of funny. I've seen Neville work before and I know how anal he is so it would be pretty funny to ask why he made that choice. Praying mantis would definitely be cool.

I liked how the Scorpion King looked in Mummy 2 but Neviille's version lot more, maybe thought added more of the human side to the creature? Yeah I love the mantis concept those arms something I like incorporating in a lot of my creatures lots of my creatures have been pretty much all about lots of teeth claws and spikes sometime done some tenticle or sluggy but mostly mine are all tooth and claw types oh and big eyes

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited April 2017

you should check out Josh's website link under his sig andhis quote empty postering can be most irritating, he's done a lot of cool stuff outside of daz and daz related from some of his comments sounds like he's still learning or just being extemely modest though in a way any artist is still learning but ome of his creatures he's sculpted would blow you away and wish we had a lot of them to play in daz as well betting we're going to see some really interesting wow stuff from him and a lot of others stuff coming out lately from many her has been getting better and better probably everyone is really pushing their "A" game probably get to the stage a lot of stuff looks like out of a cgi movie/game way things are going

Yea, I'm already familiar with his work. I've had my eye on his Visitor package over at Gumroad for quite some time.

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
  • XenomorphineXenomorphine Posts: 2,421
    RKane_1 said:

I think contrast is important in horror too. I would be interesting to have the figure of a cute child but have their entire head open into a toothy maw once they lured you in.

Watch 'Cabin In The Woods'. The ballerina only has a cameo, but became one of the most iconic characters in it.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/c9/9f/ff/c99fff9dfe2d0a4d25f5ecdcc1d7da2c.jpg

I'd love if someone created a lamprey-style mouth like this, as a geograft, for Genesis 3. We could then apply it to G3 character and age them up/down as we please.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,958

I was actually thinking of a 'face is a big mouth' type of thing at one point. I've poked at doing it as a morph, but the usual issues of 'what do you do with the eye area' is always annoying, plus then you have to figure out how to place and scale jaws/teeth/tongue etc...

• FrankTheTankFrankTheTank Posts: 1,131

I was actually thinking of a 'face is a big mouth' type of thing at one point. I've poked at doing it as a morph, but the usual issues of 'what do you do with the eye area' is always annoying, plus then you have to figure out how to place and scale jaws/teeth/tongue etc...

I don't know anything about modeling, so I could be completely off base, but if you made a completely unique monster head figure, couldn't you just make it so it parents to the neck and completely hide the original head? Then you don't have to worry about the eye area. Seems like it might be easier to do that instead of making morphs to the original head. I always wondered why a Cyclops was not made in that way instead of the awkward looking cyclops geograft that was made for G1.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,958

The problem is trying to get the geograft to work with any morphs the figure might have. I mean, if the monster is muscular, and everything from the neck up looks the same, that might look weird. Worse, there might be weird artifacts where the body joins with the new head.

If you morph the head, on the other hand, it's already set up how the morphs will affect the head (though it might not always work right).

Also, if you morph the head, all the rigging and other stuff is already there, plus it can be combined with other stuff (like all the facial morphs, horns, etc)

• I was actually thinking of a 'face is a big mouth' type of thing at one point. I've poked at doing it as a morph, but the usual issues of 'what do you do with the eye area' is always annoying, plus then you have to figure out how to place and scale jaws/teeth/tongue etc...

Best way would probably be a geograft that replaces the head entirely... could do it as a morph too, but it would be tricky for sure.

• also dependes if you want the mouth to have any expressions and open close controls correct? If it was just open like that you could maybe make it like a slip on mask/hat?  That is something else thought might be interesting product halloween type masks gloves extra that your characters could wear that look act like halloween masks/costumes reminds of some fantasy horror art seen a person wearing a costume and encountering a real creature even a/the real one of the creature the person is dressed up pretending to be

• with the mouth thing be cool to have a fully functiong one like that for other sections too like palms of the hands or chest and so on as well as fully functioning heads/faces in other areas yeah guess that part we could do ourselves fairly easily with a second figure positioned and other parts hidden just the blending part gotta do extra work on oh there is one morph no one has done yet which you see a lot in tv and movies and that is the huge wide open mouth Image result for ghost mouth open

• actually a few ghosts would be pretty cool lots of different looks could go with 

• I don't have any use for or have any of the younger characters but creepy arse ghost kids and teens I'd probably would have

• creey monster animals need those and the best thing about them they don't have to look like actual real animals lik AM does you just do exaggerations of them which would look better like hellhounds with cyclops eye and long tongues and claws more like cats or birds

• really distorted creatures like in the resident evil games and animated movies

• some of the Wesen in Grimm might be interesting

• see the new guy here darkseal has done a few versions of some of the creatures we suggested like the warahammer 40,000 tyranid beastie genestealer they look good but most made aimed at poser and yeah know some poser stuff can be converted but  still wouldn't mind other newer versions of these and either using g3 base or as standalone figs

oh yea and againg nightbreed and cenobytes

• TraceSLTraceSL Posts: 528

How about saber tooth aliens / monsters :) 

• TraceSL said:

How about saber tooth aliens / monsters :) 

I like it!

• Image result for grimm monsters some wesen

Image result for grimm monsters

• oh characters that resemble He-Man and She-Ra characters of course they have to obviously look different for obvious reasons but something that resembles them and there are a lot of mutant/monster looking types in there and you could make them a lot darker scarier looking like Trapjaw more corpse like the way the flesh and mechanical cyborg aspects are interconnected like a Frankenstein creation all bloody pussy looking, Beastman basicly a wolfman but you could make him really scary looking, Skeletor rotting corpse, and so many others would look really cool plus wouldn't be breaking any rules copyright but fans would know and would use them as would others

• oh characters that resemble He-Man and She-Ra characters of course they have to obviously look different for obvious reasons but something that resembles them and there are a lot of mutant/monster looking types in there and you could make them a lot darker scarier looking like Trapjaw more corpse like the way the flesh and mechanical cyborg aspects are interconnected like a Frankenstein creation all bloody pussy looking, Beastman basicly a wolfman but you could make him really scary looking, Skeletor rotting corpse, and so many others would look really cool plus wouldn't be breaking any rules copyright but fans would know and would use them as would others

Thanks for the great reference dude. I'll keep all that in mind when I get back in the swing. I've been super busy with film work lately. Working all this week again. Hopefully I can get back to some Daz stuff by next week!

:)

• it's pretty cool that you and at least one other new creator here work and create creatures in movies and do this too 

rage.jpg
    1112 x 1440 - 466K
  • TraceSL said:

Wow! Very cool

• Josh CrockettJosh Crockett Posts: 572

Something cool in the works now...

Something cool in the works now...

hint hint?  I mean, everything you do is cool...wink

• Josh CrockettJosh Crockett Posts: 572
    TraceSL said: