The Mac FAQ

Comments

• TheMysteryIsThePoint said:

Found this thread, and at the risk of duplicating my question, I downloaded DIM onto my M1 Mac Mini, but the OS refuses to run the executable because it can't verify the publisher. I know nothing aboujt Macs. What am I doing wrong?

If I recall, I right-clicked on the installer executable and selected "Open" instead of double-clicking on the installer.  It then asked if I wanted to open it despite being from an unknown publisher (words to that effect.) The installer ran without issue and DIM has been working perfectly on my M1 MackBook Air.

Hope that helps!

Lee

Found this thread, and at the risk of duplicating my question, I downloaded DIM onto my M1 Mac Mini, but the OS refuses to run the executable because it can't verify the publisher. I know nothing aboujt Macs. What am I doing wrong?

Go to: System Preferences > Security and Privacy

At the bottom should be something that will allow you to approve DS to run on your Mac. 

On that note... having run DS on two Mac devices with Big Sur, here's what I've found:

• The Mac Pro (/w Intel) runs pretty quick and while figures/items do take a few seconds to a minute to load, they do and once you get going, it's pretty quick. No crashes. Yet.
    • The Mac Mini (/w M1) runs decently. It's slower in comparison to the Mac Pro, and a basic Genesis 8 figure takes at least 1-2 minutes to load, if not 3-4. It is fairly quick once you get it loaded, but not by much. I think this may be because DS is essentially running on Rosetta 2 or some kind of jury rigged fix. It's not a huge dealbreaker for me, personally, but I could see where it would be an issue for others. At this point, beggars can't be choosers and I'm happy that it even runs at all on the Mini.
  • leemoon_c43b45a114 said:

TheMysteryIsThePoint said:

If I recall, I right-clicked on the installer executable and selected "Open" instead of double-clicking on the installer.  It then asked if I wanted to open it despite being from an unknown publisher (words to that effect.) The installer ran without issue and DIM has been working perfectly on my M1 MackBook Air.

Hope that helps!

Lee

Thanks, Lee. Figuring out how to right-click :)

leemoon_c43b45a114 said:

Hope that helps!

Lee

You/re quite welcome!  I hope all goes smoothly for you. :)

When running DIM, I had to look at the forums here to see how to get beta versions installed.  I'd only done that one time before.  I ended up with both the main release (that doesn't run on M1/Big Sur) and the beta version that works on the M1 MacBook Air.  I figure when the beta goes to full public release, DIM will let me know and I will be able to switch over to the non-beta version in the future. :)

I'm starting a procedure to duplicate my DAZ content onto the M1 MacBook Air.  We'll see how well that goes.

Lee

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,525
    edited August 2021

I did  render test of a UltraScenery scene using CPU rendering (of course). Let it run for 3 hours. On the M1 Mini with 8GB I got 550 samples, on the MacPro 2012 (2x6 Core 2.4GHx Xeon) and 32GB RAM I got 527 Samples. 

Post edited by Totte on
  • leemoon_c43b45a114 said:

leemoon_c43b45a114 said:

Hope that helps!

Lee

You/re quite welcome!  I hope all goes smoothly for you. :)

When running DIM, I had to look at the forums here to see how to get beta versions installed.  I'd only done that one time before.  I ended up with both the main release (that doesn't run on M1/Big Sur) and the beta version that works on the M1 MacBook Air.  I figure when the beta goes to full public release, DIM will let me know and I will be able to switch over to the non-beta version in the future. :)

I'm starting a procedure to duplicate my DAZ content onto the M1 MacBook Air.  We'll see how well that goes.

Lee

Thanks for pointing out that distinction. I think I certainly would have fallen prey to it.

I need to get a new external drive for my M1 Mini, 2TB of content needs a lot of diskspace ;-)

• leemoon_c43b45a114leemoon_c43b45a114 Posts: 844
    edited August 2021

My quick test renders using the barest of scenes (base G3M unclothed) in my custom default scene (HDRI, 2 ghost lights, and floor plane) resulted in these results:

Intel i5 Mac Mini (8GB RAM / 1TB HDD): 9 minutes 51.39 seconds

M1 MacBook Air (16GB RAM / 1TB SSD / 8 cure CPU and 8 core GPU not used): 2 minutes 39.32 seconds

Intel i9 MacBook Pro (32GB RAM / 2TB SSD / 8 core CPU and AMD 5500M GPU not used): 1 minute 19.3 seconds

So the M1 MacBook Air is doing reasonably well for a base level system in this simplistic test.  The MBA is my casual mobile system.  The MBP is my primary rendering system, and will continue to be until some more powerful Apple Silicon systems ship.  I am thrilled to be able to run DAZ Studio on the M1 MacBook Air for those times when I need to do something uncomplicated or to set up a scene to pass over to the MBP. :)

Lee

Post edited by leemoon_c43b45a114 on
  • I'm trying to figure out how people were able to get the installation to work. I've downloaded the Public Build Beta 4.15 and installed it with the DAZ install manager. The 'DAZ Studio 4.15 (Mac 64-bit) Public Build' is in the Installed tab. I open DS and the home page pops up with the option to 'Open' but when I click on it there is nothing. Am I missing something?

Screen Shot 2021-08-19 at 7.18.31 PM.png
    563 x 317 - 106K
  • inquireinquire Posts: 2,099

Noticed today in the DIM is a new version of DAZ Studio:  4.15. I'm running Mac OS Catalina, 10.15.7, and running DS 4.15.0.2; I don't know what the full version of this new DS is; it only gives 4.15 in the DIIM. 

I'm basically satisfied with the way DS is working for me, and I don't want to get into trouble. So I'm asking, how does this new version of DS run, especially on Catalina, 10.15.7. Does anyone know?

The new beta version works pretty solid on mcOS 11.x so it would probably work even better on 10.15. I run it on 10.13.6 and 10.14.6 and it works very well.

• inquire said:

Noticed today in the DIM is a new version of DAZ Studio:  4.15. I'm running Mac OS Catalina, 10.15.7, and running DS 4.15.0.2; I don't know what the full version of this new DS is; it only gives 4.15 in the DIIM. 

I'm basically satisfied with the way DS is working for me, and I don't want to get into trouble. So I'm asking, how does this new version of DS run, especially on Catalina, 10.15.7. Does anyone know?

The update should be 4.15.0.30, which is fine.

OK, Thanks. It seems to be running well.

• So do we have Big Sur support in the new version? Am I reading that right?

• wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339

Chronopunk said:

So do we have Big Sur support in the new version? Am I reading that right?

Yes, you are.

Just downloaded it to an m1 iMac, loaded a few characters and rendered without a hitch. 

-- Walt 

• MarshianMarshian Posts: 1,459

Hi. On Catalina 10.15.7 I'm getting Install Failed when using the DIM for DS 4.15 (Mac64 bit). I uninstalled the previous DS version first.

ANy thoughts?

I too am running 10.15.7, but I didn't get anything like that when I installed DS 4.15.0.30. Did a DIM install. Don't know what's going on. Sorry.

I know some people has that, even where it worked after a reinstall of macOS, then stopped working again. I don't have 10.15 anywhere but my best guess is that something is fidlding with the access rights on your drive.

Thanks, Totte! It's good to get an idea of whats blocking the install---> so I can do some research nowlaugh 

I'm glad this slow-down is on my backup computer.

Totte said:

I know some people has that, even where it worked after a reinstall of macOS, then stopped working again. I don't have 10.15 anywhere but my best guess is that something is fidlding with the access rights on your drive.

• Mac compatible Studio release is not working. I can get Studio to open but apparently a 32 bit version of PostGre is being installed and Big Sur won't run it. Daz Central is crashing as well. I hate Daz Central (for too many reasons to list here) and prefer to use DIM and when DIM downloads and installs PostGre, it installs the 32 bit version.

studio issues.jpg
    824 x 1576 - 116K
    postgre error copy.jpg
    1444 x 612 - 74K
  • wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339
    edited September 2021

crashworship said:

Mac compatible Studio release is not working. I can get Studio to open but apparently a 32 bit version of PostGre is being installed and Big Sur won't run it. Daz Central is crashing as well. I hate Daz Central (for too many reasons to list here) and prefer to use DIM and when DIM downloads and installs PostGre, it installs the 32 bit version.

Mine downloaded the 64 bit version on my m1 iMac, if that helps to know that it can.

Screen Shot 2021-09-07 at 12.10.22 PM.png
    1264 x 538 - 317K
    Post edited by wsterdan on
  • Running Big Sur 11.5.2. When I open Studio 4.15.0.30 I get a pop up saying "Connecting to Daz3D requires a valid connection to a PostgreSQL CMS Database." I find several .dsx files with "PostgreSQL" in the filenames, so apparently they were unzipped. Any ideas for addressing this? Thanks!

edited September 2021

If you check under the sprocket in DIM under Default Install Sets...you see what it should install

scrn2.png
    544 x 384 - 199K
    scrn3.png
    1054 x 1554 - 635K
    Post edited by Totte on
    edited September 2021

Re: On Catalina 10.15.7 I'm getting Install Failed when using the DIM for DS 4.15 (Mac64 bit). 

My answer was actually up in the thread a bit from Panzer Emerald "Go to: System Preferences > Security and Privacy". Here are the details, what I checked, in this screencap. 

DAZ 4.15 to work on Catalina.png
    668 x 292 - 55K
    Post edited by Marshian on

Good find @Marshian, or good way of forwardning that info (still not using 10.15, running 10.13, 10.14 & 11

Question about downloading this: https://www.android.com/filetransfer/

The Android File Transfer App. Should I? Does it work? You see, I have a new AT&T Cell Phone, and wanted to transfer pictures from my cell phone to my Macintosh. https://www.att.com/device-support/article/wireless/KM1387559/ATT/EmblemU102AA

The article, the link to which is just above, talks about downloading and installing this Android File Transfer App to my Computer. Then, supposedly, I can get the cell phone picture transfer to work.

Does anyone know anything about this?

• inquire said:

Question about downloading this: https://www.android.com/filetransfer/

The Android File Transfer App. Should I? Does it work? You see, I have a new AT&T Cell Phone, and wanted to transfer pictures from my cell phone to my Macintosh. https://www.att.com/device-support/article/wireless/KM1387559/ATT/EmblemU102AA

The article, the link to which is just above, talks about downloading and installing this Android File Transfer App to my Computer. Then, supposedly, I can get the cell phone picture transfer to work.

Does anyone know anything about this?

If it's anything like general file transfer apps for Android phones, then it should. It's free, so you have nothing to lose by installing and trying it.

I applied the Apple Security Update yesterday. I have more Relocated Items in the Shared users folder. I've read what they are. Can they just be deleted?

Sometimes, in the past, I have tried to delete them, and have been able to delete some, but for others I get a message to the effect that the item is needed by the Mac OS and cannot be deleted. Is this a mistake? After all, it's in a Relocated Items folder.

The attached file is an example of what I'm talking about.

Screen Shot 2021-09-15 at 10.45.23 AM.png
    972 x 1050 - 371K
  • This should give you more info about that folder & how to remove files that you can't delete https://www.macrumors.com/guide/relocated-items/

OK, thanks for the link. I really don't recognize these files, or know what they are. In such a case, is it just as well to delete them?