The Mac FAQ

Comments

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,525
    edited September 2021

Many of those looks like part of the XWindows for macOS, used to run programs written for that GUI, or OSFMotif, usually things coming fro the linux/unix world.

Post edited by Totte on
  • inquireinquire Posts: 2,099

OK, so since I'm not using any of that, do you think it's safe to delete these files?

OK, here's the first set of Previously Relocated Items in users/Shared. The date is September 21, 2020. So, they've been there for nearly a year, and I don't notice any problem running the Mac OS. (They were probably put there when I went up to Catalina.) So, I'm guessing it would be safe to delete them. Any opinions on this?

Previously Relocated Items.png
    628 x 703 - 162K

it's all X11 stuff, you probably once installed xquartz

Well, I once installed an app that was supposed to let me run some Windows programs, but it didn't work for the program I wanted to run. I thought I had removed the entire app. I even contacted the tech people for the app, and they told me that, yep, it was all gone, but apparently it was not.

For, after I had contacted them and done the removal, I found something in my users Library that remained from the app. Removed that. So, once again, I thought it was all gone.

Anyway, since the placement in Relocated Items goes back to September, 2020, I'm guessing it's safe to remove that X11 folder. Any opinion on that?

Sounds ok to me

• So, I'm getting the "error initializing OpenCL kernels" error when trying to run dforce for the first time (ever). Both Intel CPU and GPU, exact same story. On 10.15.7 right now. I saw this mentioned a couplf of pages back, but didn't see an obvious solution. Guess I'm SOL with dforce until GPU prices come down and I can build a rendering machine?

• N3p3nth3 said:

So, I'm getting the "error initializing OpenCL kernels" error when trying to run dforce for the first time (ever). Both Intel CPU and GPU, exact same story. On 10.15.7 right now. I saw this mentioned a couplf of pages back, but didn't see an obvious solution. Guess I'm SOL with dforce until GPU prices come down and I can build a rendering machine?

Not erroring on Big Sur, so guess it's time to upgrade for those still on Catalina now that Daz works (and works better). 

If I were to  upgrade to Big Sur right now, on my Mac Pro 2013 model, I could still run DAZ Studio 4.15.0.30, right? When DS 5 is released, could I also run that on the Intel Mac Pro 2013 with Big Sur?

I'm thinking not.

But if I go up to a new Macintosh computer with the release of DS 5, I could still keep 4.15.0.30 along with DS 5. Correct?

That is what has been said so far, but things might change, we now things change, and Big Sur (macOS11), wont be around soon when macOS 12 arrives, and when DS 5 is final we probabky have macOS13 around the corner.

• inquire said:

If I were to  upgrade to Big Sur right now, on my Mac Pro 2013 model, I could still run DAZ Studio 4.15.0.30, right? When DS 5 is released, could I also run that on the Intel Mac Pro 2013 with Big Sur?

I'm thinking not.

But if I go up to a new Macintosh computer with the release of DS 5, I could still keep 4.15.0.30 along with DS 5. Correct?

Based on a quick look, they don't seem to have released any min spec for daz 5 that would be different from 4.15, apart from maybe the minimun OS Requirement. So I'm not aware of any reason why Big Sur would interfere with the running of Daz. In fact, my 2019 MBP used to beach ball me a lot for the whole year I had catalina there and it's been pretty good for now - so at least in the short term, I had a performance upgrade. 

• Any chance the next version can revert the color picker back to the standard Mac picker instead of the Windows-style color picker in 4.15.0.30? Not only is it (in my opinion) ugly, it gets rid of my favorite way of working (HSL sliders) and doesn't have a color picker. The latter two are huge productivity killers. If not the MacOS color picker, something like used in Photoshop would be good. But the one there now is more suited to a bitmap drawing program than a serious graphics app.

aaráribel caađo said:

Any chance the next version can revert the color picker back to the standard Mac picker instead of the Windows-style color picker in 4.15.0.30? Not only is it (in my opinion) ugly, it gets rid of my favorite way of working (HSL sliders) and doesn't have a color picker. The latter two are huge productivity killers. If not the MacOS color picker, something like used in Photoshop would be good. But the one there now is more suited to a bitmap drawing program than a serious graphics app.

If you read the change log of 4.15.0.29, the std macoscolor picker caused the crash that happend when selecting colors, so the brought in the Qt one instead to avoid the crash. But you can always file a bug report on it, might encourage the devs to invest time to change it.

• Thanks! I'll file one.

• Hello! I cant install Daz studio at all. The install manager says there's an error and the install button in Daz central starts at 83% but then converts back to the install button. Any help?

Can you do a manual download of DS? But if DIM won't work, I would file a ticket. Some days, DIM won't work for me, but the next day it will. Don't know why. If it's been a day or two, try DIM again.

• Well, still on Catalina with my 16" MBP but will have to make the move to Big Sur finally.

Are there any problems with Studio on Big Sur. Anything (dForce, PlugIns, etc.) not working?

Rod Wise Driggo said:

Well, still on Catalina with my 16" MBP but will have to make the move to Big Sur finally.

Are there any problems with Studio on Big Sur. Anything (dForce, PlugIns, etc.) not working?

I've only been running it on the M1Mini (not intel CPU) and even there it works very well.

• I'm getting the "error initializing OpenCL kernels" now too on my iMac running Catalina.

Is the only fix to upgrade to Big Sur? And will that actually fix the problem?

• poormojo said:

I'm getting the "error initializing OpenCL kernels" now too on my iMac running Catalina.

If you have tried the workaround steps here : https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/6691201/ and they do not work for you then (at least in this respect) it can't hurt to upgrade (yu may have other reasons why you do not want to.

For me, the steps worked on one system but not on another. For the problem system, updating to the Big Sur compatible version of Daz and then updating to Big Sur got it working.

• 42snoopy42 said:

poormojo said:

I'm getting the "error initializing OpenCL kernels" now too on my iMac running Catalina.

If you have tried the workaround steps here : https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/6691201/ and they do not work for you then (at least in this respect) it can't hurt to upgrade (yu may have other reasons why you do not want to.

For me, the steps worked on one system but not on another. For the problem system, updating to the Big Sur compatible version of Daz and then updating to Big Sur got it working.

This seems to be the part that's usefulto Mac users.

3. shut down completely, booted and logged in using my original (normal) user id

4. started studio and created a new scene with one character and one piece of dforce clothing

5. went to the Simulation/Advanced pane and selected Apple Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 as the OpenCL device

6. started the simulation - the OpenCL kernels were recompiled and simulation worked

I'll give it a try right now.

• Hi. I wanna try to render with my M1 chip GPU in the daz, But its not working, Can anyone tell me the answer? pls!

• Does anyone know if Daz is compatible with Monterey? I'm thinking it might be due to how similar it is over all to Big Sur :) 

bevdog896_d08d9c913a said:

Does anyone know if Daz is compatible with Monterey? I'm thinking it might be due to how similar it is over all to Big Sur :) 

A fearless friend installed it and both DIM and DS works, so far. 

• PlatnumkPlatnumk Posts: 663

Datete823 said:

Hi. I wanna try to render with my M1 chip GPU in the daz, But its not working, Can anyone tell me the answer? pls!

Sadly you cannot use GPU Rendering on a Mac,  Only CPU Rendering is supported. 

• Totte said:

bevdog896_d08d9c913a said:

Does anyone know if Daz is compatible with Monterey? I'm thinking it might be due to how similar it is over all to Big Sur :) 

A fearless friend installed it and both DIM and DS works, so far.

Ah sweet, thanks for the info! I'm looking to upgrade to the new macbook pro, so I was hoping it was working :D 

• 3Don3Don Posts: 690

I am having an odd Mac problem that seems to have arisen suddenly. I prefer to open a content File Folder on the Desktop, rather than in Tabs. (I assume “Tabs” means the same folder I am already in?). After starting up one day & beginning a work routine whenever I double-clicked a folder the contents opened up in the same window I was in & not on the Desktop. I had not previously changed any settings.

In Finder Preferences/General I have New Finder windows set to open on the Desktop. See attached image. I repeatedly tried to reset those preferences. It took a while & I got some, but not all folders to open separately on the DT. It worked for some but not all. And some folders seem to have reverted. Weird.

The problem persists for folders on the desktop & for nested folders. Some double clicks go to a full screen window.
    I have an external storage HD attached & oddly, opening folders to the desktop still works when I double click a folder.

Is there a setting or a solution for setting consistent preferences? Can it be done at the very top of the Folder Hierarchy such that all nested folders follow the same instructions?
    I hope I have explained this correctly. It’s a new problem in 30+ years of Mac use.

• 3Don3Don Posts: 690

Also, when I double clicke the green dot to collapse/minimize the window/folder it expands to full screen with greyed back or forth arrows, so i have to clost the whole window. Help!

@3Don : Yes, I heartly hate that Apple has been taking so many stupind things from Windows (full screen is one of them) just because windows people likes them and want that. I wish there was a way to globally shut off full screen view.

• wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339
    edited November 2021

3Don said:

Also, when I double clicke the green dot to collapse/minimize the window/folder it expands to full screen with greyed back or forth arrows, so i have to clost the whole window. Help!

Not sure why you double-click the green dot, but clicking it once goes to full screen, and if you want to leave full screen, either press "esc" or hover near the upper corner and the green dot will reappear.

The only time I double-click is not on the green dot, but on the window header, in which case the window expands to fill the screen but without going "full screen" (the red/yellow/green dots are all still availble).

I don't mind full screen at all, as long as it lets me decide when I want it, not like on most Windows machines I use where I accidentally move my window too close to an edge and Windows decides for me.

-- Walt 

Post edited by wsterdan on