The Mac FAQ

Comments

• 3Don3Don Posts: 690

Thanx for the replies & info. I will carefully try (again) to click or double click to se if it is someting I am doing inadvertantly.

I am about to press the GO button on a new Mac custom built for the DS specs for macOS Big Sur and Apple M1 chips. Are those published specs still good? I am about to spend $3,000. on a machine customized for those published specs & want to be sure. I have queried PA rep & did not get any definitive info, except to check this forum.

• I have an M1Pro MacBookPro and it's 80% faster than the i7 MBP it replaced. But you still won't have a Nvidia card, so if you're buying your computer primarily for Iray rendering, it might not be the best use of your money. Which isn't to say it's not worth it. It's blazing fast for everything. But Iray won't ever be super fast without a Nvidia card

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,525

3Don said:

I am about to press the GO button on a new Mac custom built for the DS specs for macOS Big Sur and Apple M1 chips. Are those published specs still good? I am about to spend $3,000. on a machine customized for those published specs & want to be sure. I have queried PA rep & did not get any definitive info, except to check this forum.

As a work machine and also for some rendering (CPU), sounds like a good machine.
    But for Iray rendering (which is unavailable on macOS) I would say that if you want to render fast, check out the more and more availble Iray server systems you can rent for a handful of bucks per hour, you probably can render a lot before you hit the same pile of cash a windows machine with two 3090s will cost you.

You do need a good internet connection though, specially your upstream, as a scene can but a couple of GB that needs to be sent to the server. With a slow upload, you spend your bucks waiting for the upload and not rendering.

What are the links to available Iray server systems?

From what I read about the DS4.5 for Macs I thought there was some kind of improved rendering if not Iray.

Does rendering CPU on Mac give Iray-like renders? This is getting confusing.

edited November 2021

3Don said:

What are the links to available Iray server systems?

From what I read about the DS4.5 for Macs I thought there was some kind of improved rendering if not Iray.

Does rendering CPU on Mac give Iray-like renders? This is getting confusing.

Iray is Iray, the difference is that it's a huge speed difference to render with nVidia hardware than software.
    There are sereral Iray Servers out there, Jack Tomalin has one you can rent. 

Post edited by Totte on
    edited November 2021

Another possibility I am considering is finding a Mac or probably a Windows user who can partner up with me to do at least Main renders in Iray. I'd offer direct payment or a PA $$ split deal. I looked into Tomalin's service & there are some drawbacks to that for me. I'd rather work with another PA. I have partnered up with several model makers over the years (them models, me poses) with very good results. Any volunteers or suggestions?

I assume with the Mac upgrade I am getting that working in a more current Mac version of DS will be generally better, if not the Iray rendering. That'd be something anyway.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • Is there a list of Daz-compatable Iray servers anywhere? The one I used to use stopped offering the service. 

Will the new DS 4.5(?) which runs on Big Sur (according to specs) also run on later OS versions like Monterey?

I have a new iMac specified & ready to order, but questions and new info keep poping up. I have had a few people tell me to just get a PC. Have any of you done that?

3Don said:

Will the new DS 4.5(?) which runs on Big Sur (according to specs) also run on later OS versions like Monterey?

I have a new iMac specified & ready to order, but questions and new info keep poping up. I have had a few people tell me to just get a PC. Have any of you done that?

I know at least one PA that run DS on macOS 12 (Monterey), so it is supposed to work, DIM too, as the big change was between 10.x and 11, not so much between 11 and 12 

I am in the process of getting a new, customized iMac that will run on the specs Daz has posted for Mac users. There seems to be some differences of opinion on the effectiveness of that. Some Mac users are reccommending & getting PCs rather than jump thru the hoops we are encountering. Can anyone reccommend a windows PC that would be sufficient and "easier" to learn for a long-time Mac user?

I posted this in the PA forum as well.

• inquireinquire Posts: 2,099

If you buy a new PC, it'll probably have Windows 11 on it, so you'll probably want to get some input on that as well. Or, a used PC perhaps? But I don't know which one (strictly a Mac user, at least as far as computers I've bought; I have used PCs at work).

• Hello, I'm using DAZ Studio 4.15.0.15 pro edition (64 bit) on MacOs Montery. It works fine. Daz Studio also. 
    But I have install the DAZ to Blender bridge but on the top menu toolbar “Scripts” don't show up.
    What is the problem?

3Don said:

I am having an odd Mac problem that seems to have arisen suddenly. I prefer to open a content File Folder on the Desktop, rather than in Tabs. (I assume “Tabs” means the same folder I am already in?). After starting up one day & beginning a work routine whenever I double-clicked a folder the contents opened up in the same window I was in & not on the Desktop. I had not previously changed any settings.

In Finder Preferences/General I have New Finder windows set to open on the Desktop. See attached image. I repeatedly tried to reset those preferences. It took a while & I got some, but not all folders to open separately on the DT. It worked for some but not all. And some folders seem to have reverted. Weird.

The problem persists for folders on the desktop & for nested folders. Some double clicks go to a full screen window.
    I have an external storage HD attached & oddly, opening folders to the desktop still works when I double click a folder.

Is there a setting or a solution for setting consistent preferences? Can it be done at the very top of the Folder Hierarchy such that all nested folders follow the same instructions?
    I hope I have explained this correctly. It’s a new problem in 30+ years of Mac use.

edited November 2021

My problem as stated above (I hit the wrong quote button) is solved. The problem windows had to do with the Show/Hide Toolbar option, that has a search option. If I Hide the Toolbar the windows behave as they should and do not expand, etc. Duh! Took a while bit i got there!

Post edited by 3Don on
    edited November 2021

The DIM indicates there's a new Mac version of DS, 4.16. I'm running 4.15.0.30 on Catalina 10.15.7, and it's fine. So, is 4.16 an improvement? Any bugs to watch out for? I'm going to wait a bit until I hear what's going on with this new version.

And also, there's listings under both Product Updates and Products. The listings under Products indicate Public Build+ Beta+. So, if I do download, do I want the version under Product Updates, or the version under Products? (See Screen Shot.) A reason for which choice I might want to download would also be interesting.

But, basically, is this 4.16 version of DS an improvement, and can I download it without worring that new bugs not existant in version 4.15.0.30 will appear?

Mac 4.16.png
    670 x 531 - 91K
    Post edited by inquire on
  • Public Build is the beta. The only difference between 4.15.0.30 and the new 4.16.0.3 version, as I undrstand it, is an update to the Power Pose plug-in.

Do these later versions of DazStudio still support 3DL renders?

Personally/artistically I do not think Iray "photo-real" renders are the superior render engine & look. I like 3DL for its more illustrative look. In another century I did a lot of airbrush paintings for magazine covers. 3DL is a lot like a style I was developing.

• 3Don said:

Do these later versions of DazStudio still support 3DL renders?

Yes.

Personally/artistically I do not think Iray "photo-real" renders are the superior render engine & look. I like 3DL for its more illustrative look. In another century I did a lot of airbrush paintings for magazine covers. 3DL is a lot like a style I was developing.

3DL Renders.... Yippeeee Doodle Dandy!

3DL vs Iray is like the old thing about color photography & painting pictures. Some said we don't need to "paint pictures" anymore. You get essentially one style with photography (aside from the skill of the photographer). With painting & drawing there are so many styles & "schools" that offer so much more variety & vision.

Just my $2 worth...

Now, with the DAZ Studio 4.16.0.30 version, there is the MetaMixer Toolkit, free for DAZ + members. So, is the 4.16 version fine to download, and is there any Mac user who has tried the MetaMixer Toolkit? (I'm always hesitant, {OK, scared} because of previous versions which looked good as an update, but which brought problems.

I downloaded 4.16 yesterday. Seems good to go. Is any Mac user experimenting with the MetaMixer Toolkit? I read the PDF Tutorial and followed along in DS, but didn't save out anything. There's also some addons for MetaMixer in the shop today. Anyone buy those, and, if so, how do they work? (I haven't bought the new equipment, so I only have the three heads that some with the Toolkit.)

• imac 27 inch 16 gig ram os 12.1

well i see daz can be installed on os12. is there a road map? it never works for me. gets pat way there and say it will be installed after previous installations. if i leave it the beach ball spins for hours. if i click backcount it brings a screen fir istalling assets. I choose daz studio it gets to 57% and beachball time.  If instead of daz i pick an asset same happens. Any idea what might cause this? 

jim

• I'd also seen where someone is successfully using DS on Monterey.  That's good news.

As far as installing DS and it hanging, check to see if there's a dialogue box open behind the other windows/dialogue boxes.  There may be a macOS dialogue wanting to approve security settings.

Lee

• jgirvan_6e1653c253 said:

imac 27 inch 16 gig ram os 12.1

well i see daz can be installed on os12. is there a road map? it never works for me. gets pat way there and say it will be installed after previous installations. if i leave it the beach ball spins for hours. if i click backcount it brings a screen fir istalling assets. I choose daz studio it gets to 57% and beachball time.  If instead of daz i pick an asset same happens. Any idea what might cause this? 

jim

I had the same problem. Tried with both Daz Central and DIM and both had the same issue. I'm on BigSur. Tried on a MacBook Pro running Monterey and no problem. The issue was to do with security settings. Go to System Preferences / Security & Privacy  select the Privacy tab and select "Full Disk Access". Put a tick in the box beside the DAZ3DIMHelper (or DazCentralHelp) items. 

Your apps should finish now (well it worked for me). I then turned off the access once uploaded just to be extra paranoid ;)

• The issue was to do with security settings. Go to System Preferences / Security & Privacy  select the Privacy tab and select "Full Disk Access". Put a tick in the box beside the DAZ3DIMHelper (or DazCentralHelp) items. 

Your apps should finish now (well it worked for me). I then turned off the access once uploaded just to be extra paranoid ;)

bless you. days have been lost because of this, adobe cloud and Monterey.

• jrm21jrm21 Posts: 140

I've been trying to get Studio installed on my Mac for months. No luck at all. First time out I got to 50%. since then DIM stalls at 0% and doesn't move. DIM eventually has to be force-quit.

Based on recent posts in this thread, I thought I would try again. Looked at my "Full Disk Access" list and much to my surprise, there were entries for both DIM and DazCentral. Both items were un-installed a while ago.

I guess it's common knowledge that the un-installer does NOT remove all the DAZ files. But I also combed through my library folders deleting all the random trash that DAZ likes to scatter around the system. For some reason, I cannot find these two files to get them off my Security & Privacy pane. (show in Finder is not working on these  files).

Regardless, I did re-install the latest DIM and checked boxes for both. No dice. DIM loads up and lets me log in, but that's it. Any attempt to install something still stops at 0% and the app must be force-quit.

Support is useless. They were responsive for a while in September (although they kept giving me solutions for a Windows system). I've sent them the crash logs they requested, but they seem to have walked away from the problem. It's been radio silence for a while. I really want their products to work (and have access to the assets I have accumulated over the years). Fact is that none of their software has ever worked well on a Mac. Every time I come back I end up regretting it. All I really want to do at this point is get my files converted to a format I can use in Blender.

Two questions:

1. Any other tricks for getting DIM or Central to work on a Mac? (Security settings didn't work. There are no hidden dialogs)

2. Does anyone have a full list of the trash the DIM installer spews on the system? I'd like to do an actual uninstall.

• I have the latest version of Daz Studio, running MAC Catalina. All of a sudden, my genesis 2 models render in patchwork. See the attached image. Anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks in advance.

test.jpg
    1800 x 1200 - 865K
  • Have you tried reinstalling the base (Starter Essentials) figure? If it's all characters it looks as if the surface groups may be messed up.

• Hello. I need help please. I have a 1080 ti 11GB but I can't run Catalina. I know that High Sierra 10.13.6 is the maximum for this GPU.
    I would like to buy some other card that let me use recent OS and still use Iray renders with good performance (as I have with my 1080 ti 11GB).
    Any advice please ? Should I buy an old Titan Z ? I know it can run Catalina but what about Iray renders and performance ?  Do you have another idea concerning another good card please ? Thank you.