The reason why I rarely render female warriors

deleted userdeleted user Posts: 1,204
edited May 2017 in The Commons

Because since day one, warrior outfits are not practical. The way they are desined, sex appeal take priority over practical use. Whats the point of armor if it reviels as much skin as humanly possible? I wanna know what warrior shows up on the battle field in what appears to be a chastity belt, a metal bra, and a spear.

Post edited by deleted user on

Comments

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116

You could always kitbash. Take pieces from all sorts of outfits and put together your ideal outfit.

• deleted userdeleted user Posts: 1,204
    edited May 2017
    Vaskania said:

You could always kitbash. Take pieces from all sorts of outfits and put together your ideal outfit.

Thats what I do in most cases. But still.. I find the Metalic Victoria Secret underwear... Overabundant. Wouldnt be an issue if it wasnt evey single outfit for G1 G2 G3 V4... They alll follow the same impractical idea.

Ir started bugging me when my daughter pointed it out. Saying.. Ew! Her butt is hanging out! LOL!...

Then it started dawning on me how sexualized these "warrior" outfits are.

• ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664

Because since day one, warrior outfits are not practical. The way they are desined, sex appeal take priority over practical use. Whats the point of armor if it reviels as much skin as humanly possible? I wanna know what warrior shows up on the battle field in what appears to be a chastity belt, a metal bra, and a spear.

Spartans went into battle wearing sandles, sword, shield, and brand new hair styles.

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116

Yea I agree with you there. Personally, the "warrior" style I enjoy most is similar to that of the Grounders from the tv show The 100- very apocalyptic and primal. I'm all about that layered rough look. lol

edited May 2017
    Vaskania said:

Yea I agree with you there. Personally, the "warrior" style I enjoy most is similar to that of the Grounders from the tv show The 100- very apocalyptic and primal. I'm all about that layered rough look. lol

Dont get me wrong, I dont want artists to END their art style... But... Mixing it up a bit would be nice. I would love to see an outfit like this for G3.

Practical, intimidating, but still feminine. Without looking like she just crawled out of a 12th century strip club.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715
    Vaskania said:

Dont get me wrong, I dont want artists to END their art style... But... Mixing it up a bit would be nice. I would love to see an outfit like this for G3.

Practical, intimidating, but still feminine. Without looking like she just crawled out of a 12th century strip club.

I disagree over the practical

Looks great, but those sharp spikes and protruberances are as likely to cause problems as not.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,918
    edited May 2017

Sadly sex sells. Plan everyday doesn't do half as well unless it is super detained beyond what they normally look like. It has to have the "cool" factor.

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,452

Theer are some practical outfits - or at least, outfits that do a good job of covering (people argue about their structural integrity).

• pdspds Posts: 593

Having more options for female warriors would definitely be welcome. I think of the scantily clad warrior (both male and female) as a fantasy art form, one that was fairly well cemented by pulp fiction sword and sorcery artwork by the likes of Frank Frazetta and Boris Vallejo, among others. Some consider Frazetta's Conan the Barbarian covers to be the definitive look for the character and he did battle with all manner of enemies (monster and human) in not much more than a loincloth, lol. Of course, then such artwork fueled the imagination of a few decades of D&D gamers and now here we are. :-)

Hopefully more PAs will create a broader range of armor for both male and female warriors, but I have to admit I still love the old-school fantasy art/sword and sorcery genre.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032

And they rust instead of skidmarks

• ZyloxZylox Posts: 787

While good plate armor is tough to find,, there are some good chain mail armors available. My favorite is Defiant for Genesis and Audacious for Defiant, both PC+ items.

https://www.daz3d.com/defiant-for-genesis

https://www.daz3d.com/audacious-for-defiant

For Genesis 3 females, Gentle Paladin is fairly good and also a PC+ item.

https://www.daz3d.com/gentle-paladin-for-genesis-3-females

If you want to go farther back, there are chain male textures for the V4 and M3 tunics as well as the good plate armor sets Joan of Arc for V3 and Stephanie Petite.

• thistledownsnamethistledownsname Posts: 1,323
    edited May 2017

I'd say the recent offerings are pretty good actually.  Here's just a few of the heavy armors in the past year and a half.

https://www.daz3d.com/knight-armor-for-genesis-3-female-s

https://www.daz3d.com/angel-armor-for-genesis-3-female-s

https://www.daz3d.com/demon-armor-for-genesis-3-female-s

These are lighter, but still pretty solid.

https://www.daz3d.com/chevaleresse-armor-for-genesis-3-females

https://www.daz3d.com/mercenary-knight

It's the guys that have the problem recently actually.  We've had some medium armors (persian, knight of valor) and some half-plate (Eisenfaust & Death Knight leave legs exposed, Chevalier has a weak abdomen), but we haven't had a solid full plate since Genesis 2, with the overpriced Paladin and the impossible-to-walk Old World Knight.

Post edited by thistledownsname on
    edited May 2017
    nicstt said:
    Vaskania said:

I disagree over the practical

Looks great, but those sharp spikes and protruberances are as likely to cause problems as not.

Depends on what you are fighting. =D

If your fighting something big enough to eat you. Being a porkypine might not be a bad idea. :P

Fire resistant leather bodysuit, covered by spiky full plate armor... Now thats how you school a dragon xD

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,722

That is exactly why I LOVE to render female warriors. To be fair, there are tons of skimpy male warrior outfits in the store that bare just as much as the women.

edited May 2017

That is exactly why I LOVE to render female warriors. To be fair, there are tons of skimpy male warrior outfits in the store that bare just as much as the women.

To each their own I suppose. I guess I'm just more of a realist. Which means that very few armors make it in my basket... Even the full armor sets... cause they are so fancy and overly flashy that their too far fetched to really be believable... I'm super picky when it comes to armor... I used to draw armor sets all the time as a kid. I have like 8 thousand drawings of armor and weapons. Thats not an exaggerated number either lol...

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

Well, in most cases, it IS fantasy art, which is well known for showing lots of skin for both genders. Yes, sometimes the impracticality gets to me (like high heels in battle! I think I'd want to kill someone if I wore those things.) But it's fantasy, anything goes. Novica had a great suggestion a while back of using second skin products to hid up racy bits on outfits. Sexy Skinz actually works very well for this. You could retexture or as someone said above, kit bash. Great to have lots of options.

• JimbowJimbow Posts: 557
    edited May 2017

Possibly the most practical (historical) armour you'll find is Swidhelm's Ironclad (Milanese) armour for M4 (although I think it's missing a leather strap on the chest). Used it for an image of Joan of Arc using G3F for the base.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,758

When vendors create realistic armor, they tend to model it after real world examples. That's the shortcut- be true to life.

hard to find real world examples of female warriors prancing around in full armor.

Problem 1 - how do we make them men's armor but made for the girlie parts?

I know, you put round breast armor plates - for comfort! for conformity.

Problem 2 - we want it to appear feminine at a distance and from every angle.

And Phasma from Star Wars got hammered for NOT "looking like a woman" in her closer-to-viable armor.

Nerds (or whatever subset of nerds they/we are called now) still rule the world and they like sexy mixed with their fantasy.

-- I say we need both. Something practical and fantastical...

And honestly, I don't know why something can't be designed as layered and do both.

Take off the thighs and you have underwear...lots of shoes/boots have heels or flats as options....

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,077
    edited May 2017

@Angel - Wings     " I guess I'm just more of a realist. Which means that very few armors make it in my basket... Even the full armor sets... "

And you wonder why you can't find product? You don't buy the full armor sets that are out there, so they don't sell, so PA's give up on them.

If you really were a realist, you would rarely render womon in battle anyway. To the best of our knowledge, women warriors were a rarity. Maybe you should make your own armor.

Post edited by fastbike1 on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,964

Avxp: Personally, I think those loud nerds can go stuff it.

Phasma looked awesome and I'm absolutely sick of robofetishgeishamon in 99% of female depictions.

Also, sportsbras and binders and other things work for many women who need to not be flopping all about as they try not to get shivved.

http://willbear.deviantart.com/art/Fight-like-a-girl-2-656659945

• zombietaggerungzombietaggerung Posts: 3,707
    edited May 2017

Avxp: Personally, I think those loud nerds can go stuff it.

Phasma looked awesome and I'm absolutely sick of robofetishgeishamon in 99% of female depictions.

Also, sportsbras and binders and other things work for many women who need to not be flopping all about as they try not to get shivved.

http://willbear.deviantart.com/art/Fight-like-a-girl-2-656659945

Agreed. Aside from the fact that boob cups are literally the worst possible thing to have in any kind of chest armor. All they do is direct the enemy's weapon directly to your heart. and God forbid you fall in those things, talk about a crushed sternum.

Post edited by zombietaggerung on
  • dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333
    Jimbow said:

Possibly the most practical (historical) armour you'll find is Swidhelm's Ironclad (Milanese) armour for M4 (although I think it's missing a leather strap on the chest). Used it for an image of Joan of Arc using G3F for the base.

Fabulous!  No boob armor!

This is how a woman in armor is supposed to look!

Great job, by the way.  This is a very realistic rendition of Joan.

fastbike1 said:

@Angel - Wings     " I guess I'm just more of a realist. Which means that very few armors make it in my basket... Even the full armor sets... "

And you wonder why you can't find product? You don't buy the full armor sets that are out there, so they don't sell, so PA's give up one them.

If you really were a realist, you would rarely render womon in battle anyway. To the best of our knowledge, women warriors were a rarity. Maybe you should make your own armor.

I dont buy a lot the full armor sets out there for said reason

most are so fancy and overly flashy that their too far fetched to really be believable.

I rarely render women in battle as is.

If I knew the tecnical knowhow I would make my own.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,722

To each their own I suppose. I guess I'm just more of a realist. Which means that very few armors make it in my basket... Even the full armor sets... cause they are so fancy and overly flashy that their too far fetched to really be believable... I'm super picky when it comes to armor... I used to draw armor sets all the time as a kid. I have like 8 thousand drawings of armor and weapons. Thats not an exaggerated number either lol...

That's fair. When I was a kid and started getting into comics, Red Sonja was a huge fav of mine and any other warrior type women (Shanna The She-Devil, Dejah Thoris, Wonder Woman, etc) I came across. I used to draw her and variations on that theme all the time. Even did some clay sculptures of her when I was 15, so it's kinda an evolution for me to create them in 3D now. Art imagery is supposed to move a person, yet each time I create a woman warrior with a ton or armor, I am less thrilled with the image than I am with less armor and it being more feminine.

Jimbow, your JOA image is outstanding, I can get behind an historical image such as that.

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,349
    dracorn said:
    Jimbow said:

Fabulous!  No boob armor!

This is how a woman in armor is supposed to look!

Great job, by the way.  This is a very realistic rendition of Joan.

From what I have read about Joan Of Arc she wore a set of armor made for a man, not herself. She also did not carry a weapon, and did not actually fight. She simply carried a banner to inspire the soldiers around her (since she claimed to be on a mission from God, then that is why many knights and soldiers drew inspiration from her)

I also agree with the comments regarding the fact that any female armor is unrealistic from a historical point of view. Women soldiers exist now, and did in WW II, but anything further back are more myth than reality (eg: Amazonian female warriors and Viking shield maidens).

• Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,758

Careful with Red Sonja. Conan (I LOVE Me some Conan - oh man, the Savage Sword B&W reprints are such a huge inspiration) ran around in, basically, a loin cloth.

No shirt either...even though I know he's supposed to be from the 'north' they depected him in wintery climates with no shirt on. 

But it's not just armor. Superhero suits are the worst.

• zombietaggerungzombietaggerung Posts: 3,707

@Angel - Wings, perhaps this article will inspire you to make more realistic female warriors. http://mentalfloss.com/article/59287/9-female-warriors-who-made-their-mark-history

• dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333
    avxp said:

Careful with Red Sonja. Conan (I LOVE Me some Conan - oh man, the Savage Sword B&W reprints are such a huge inspiration) ran around in, basically, a loin cloth.

No shirt either...even though I know he's supposed to be from the 'north' they depected him in wintery climates with no shirt on. 

But it's not just armor. Superhero suits are the worst.

Chain maile bikinis!