The reason why I rarely render female warriors

124»

Comments

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882

Why is it sad that sex sells?

Practical armor is pretty darn boring, even for guys. Hauberks, pot helms, a couple hard plates, done.

A lot of fantasy armor is really impractical. That female image above with the oversized-for-American-football shoulder pads, giant-arse gauntlets with heavy metal flanges (that would catch on things something fierce)? Ridiculous. Yeah, I get that some want the equivalent of Full Metal Burqas, but that is not what everyone should have.

(ALSO... think of how that would all deform as Conforming clothing. It would be horrible.)

Sure, I like the concept of a Jeanne d'Arc, but keep it in the real. Chevaleresse was a super kit like that. Gentle Paladin (including a Jeanne texture pack), Saint Armor, Elven Knight, Knight Armor for G3F. And this is just looking at metal armors at the moment. How many styles of full plate do you need?

I do not want weird football player armor with exaggerated flanges that have no practical use except to compensate with flanges for the lack of skin. This is NOT creativity, in my opinion. This is the substitute of one impracticality for another, and it's quite frankly I do not want or need that.

It's NOT like these things do NOT exist. They do exist, and people do buy them... but people also like skin. Many prefer skin. What is so wrong with that?

The hypothesis that there are no options for covered female warriors? I think it's very misleading.

Have you seen men's fashion in the real world? Borrrring. Men don't get so much stuff in Daz either, but that's also because men's outfits ARE boring.

Yes, because the 5,345th set of sexy armor is sooo creative and innovative.... After a while, sexy gets boring too (especially if you're not the target audience.)  And skin is all well and good - until the character you're trying to set up isn't the type to show skin.  Like 90% of my RPG characters...or my daughter's RPG characters... or the RPG characters of my female friends (and male friends too, for that matter.)  Then the lack of clothing/armor that covers *does* become a problem, when it means you can't do the sort of art you want to do.

• ProFotografProFotograf Posts: 112

I think this best describes Female Armor, totally planned for the Female form.  

Fits what this thread is about - and it's really fun to watch.

Boots of Swiftness... Tassels of Intimidation...

Female Armor - College Humor

Enjoy,

ProFotograf

• JimbowJimbow Posts: 557
    edited June 2017

Rolls of sheet steel wasn't a thing back then....

A good chunk of Roman armour could very possibly have been made from rolled steel. The classic lorica segmentata finds have been studied extensively (for the most part, funding allowing), and Roman military archaeologists are finding more evidence that the steel didn't all come from billets. Some seg plates have been found to have been made from two sheets heat-welded together. Cast armour is thought to have been a rarity because it could be brittle, although there is evidence of some helmets being cast such as some Greek helmets and some Roman Montefortino (see my avatar) finds.

Post edited by Jimbow on
  • tj_1ca9500btj_1ca9500b Posts: 2,048
    JazzyBear said:

Honestly I would love to see most of the standard armor from Pathfinder/DnD represented as I do a lot of requests for my local players for depictions of their RPG characters. Leather, studded leather, ring, scale(as above) chain and a lot more before we get to full plate would all be an auto purchase. And in both male and female! 

I picked up an armor shader set recently.  If you don't have it yet, it might help:

https://www.daz3d.com/uber-iray-medieval-armor-shaders

I've been finding a LOT of uses for this particular set of shaders, not just armor related ones.

• Ron KnightsRon Knights Posts: 1,763

I totally agree with Angel Wings. However you gotta know by now that "Sex Sells!" People have been discussing and debating this topic ever since we got the ability to create "art!" You will continue to see skimpy, sexy, impractical outfits! I don't do fantasy art. i usually do "Real World" characters myself.

• nelsonsmithnelsonsmith Posts: 1,336
    Fabe said:
    isidorn said:

Yeah there is time and a place even for sexy warrior women. It would just be nice to actually have the choice ,which is the compliant most of us seem to have. It seem the  majority of female outfits here whether it sci-fi fantasy or just real world is all sexy. Yeah sure stuff like the image JVRenderer are nice to look at( I like it) but it would be nice to  render a woman warrior who is more then just eye candy and is wearing some thing  that looks like it could actually give her some protection. 

This.

I think a lot of the people defending sexy armour (and pretty much anything female related) don't seem to see that the market is over balanced in that direction.  This is one of the reasons that Daz's core base of support is what it is.  It doesn't really cater to people doing other types of art

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167

Modeling is liberating. I can't tell you how many times I needed a something that didn't exist so I made it, or it  was not quite right, so I made it or someone wanted $1 per polygon for something I would use once so I made it. Too skimpy! I made it, not skimpy enough! Made that too, or I just made it so I could share with others; priceless. I rarely render a lot of things, but I do try to render what I want and learning to model has made it all the more possible.

Blender is free. www.blender.org, and there are others out there if you want to complain about the whatever being too whatever. That argument doesn't bring results.

edited June 2017

Modeling is liberating. I can't tell you how many times I needed a something that didn't exist so I made it, or it  was not quite right, so I made it or someone wanted $1 per polygon for something I would use once so I made it. Too skimpy! I made it, not skimpy enough! Made that too, or I just made it so I could share with others; priceless. I rarely render a lot of things, but I do try to render what I want and learning to model has made it all the more possible.

Blender is free. www.blender.org, and there are others out there if you want to complain about the whatever being too whatever. That argument doesn't bring results.

This is all true, but IMHO when one gets into modeling then Daz has moved out of the realm of "hobbyist"  for a lot of people.  Meaning a lot of people who would have naturally shifted into a deeper understanding of 3D will never get to that point because they were turned off at the very beginning.  You don't ask a beginning musician to start learning an instrument by working on a Mozart concerto, yet I see that exact logic being thrown at people who simply want to wade into the waters of 3D art by having fun first and a lot of people simply want to do every day artwork, not monsters, pin ups, or overly endowed, pouty 20 year olds in hooker fashion.  Daz is getting better . . slowly , but the way it markets itself you're never going to entice those people, and once your into it, and you want to go beyond that, you're going to be frustrated.  

If sexy girls is your thing though, you never have to manipulate one polygon working with Daz,  if revealing clothes is what you like, you never have to worry about learning to design squat -- your needs are amply supported.  It can easily remain a hobby and taking it further is a choice not a rrequirement.

Post edited by nelsonsmith on
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,722

This is all true, but IMHO when one gets into modeling then Daz has moved out of the realm of "hobbyist"  for a lot of people.  Meaning a lot of people who would have naturally shifted into a deeper understanding of 3D will never get to that point because they were turned off at the very beginning.  You don't ask a beginning musician to start learning an instrument by working on a Mozart concerto, yet I see that exact logic being thrown at people who simply want to wade into the waters of 3D art by having fun first and a lot of people simply want to do every day artwork, not monsters, pin ups, or overly endowed, pouty 20 year olds in hooker fashion.  Daz is getting better . . slowly , but the way it markets itself you're never going to entice those people, and once your into it, and you want to go beyond that, you're going to be frustrated.  

If sexy girls is your thing though, you never have to manipulate one polygon working with Daz,  if revealing clothes is what you like, you never have to worry about learning to design squat -- your needs are amply supported.  It can easily remain a hobby and taking it further is a choice not a rrequirement.

Interesting, as a modeler, I view it as a basic function of 3D. There are many different levels of modeling and the basics of modeling are on the same level if not lower than doing renders in DS in my experience. To me it's like asking a beginning musician to name the intrument they are learning to play.

In my expereince it seems many start out doing fantasy or pinups instead of everyday/normal type boring images

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

The more strongly people feel about a particular market niche that isn't being met, the more incentive they have to learn to kitbash, and to do basic morphs, and even to do some original modeling.  The following thread gathers some links and has tutorials and examples that may be useful for people who want additional practical female warrior stuff.  The thread was started in response to expressions of general dissatisfaction for the range of male content, but the resources are useful for practical female warriors. 

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/65357/the-male-content-creation-mutual-support-group-thread/p1

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited June 2017

If you ever combined more than one primitive to a Daz Studio scene that is modeling; yes, some of you are already a 3D modeler (in a very real, and legally binding sence.) Two flat planes to make a wall, you've modeled a room. There are models that are astounding in detail which are out of the league of many of us, are there are simple props you could put together in the time it takes you to find them on line and purchase them.

(spot the difference, I made ONE of these, guess which...)

Screen Shot 2017-06-01 at 4.49.44 PM.png
    524 x 536 - 490K
    Unknown.jpeg
    162 x 171 - 5K
    Post edited by StratDragon on
  • zombietaggerungzombietaggerung Posts: 3,707
    edited June 2017

Well this is exciting, a gorgeous outfit for the ladies, that's practical, beautiful, classy, sexy, and most importantly:

It has flat shoes!!!!!!

Aftermath: The Admiral Go! Support Sixus1 Media, and maybe more of these types of outfits will be made! I wasn't planning on buying anything today and rarely buy women's stuff anyways, but this is a must buy.

Post edited by zombietaggerung on
  • FenixPhoenixFenixPhoenix Posts: 3,070
    edited June 2017

Well this is exciting, a gorgeous outfit for the ladies, that's practical, beautiful, classy, sexy, and most importantly:

It has flat shoes!!!!!!

Aftermath: The Admiral Go! Support Sixus1 Media, and maybe more of these types of outfits will be made! I wasn't planning on buying anything today and rarely buy women's stuff anyways, but this it a must buy.

Hooray for flat shoes! This reminded me of this one: El Comandante Officer outfit (which is one of the first things I bought here). I feel like they might even work together, opposing factions maybe?

Post edited by FenixPhoenix on
  • Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 1,229

Ha, good one about the chastity belt and the sexualized warrior outfits. wink

If you ever combined more than one primitive to a Daz Studio scene that is modeling... Two flat planes to make a wall, you've modeled a room.

Very interesting topic - where to "insert" the beginner into the DAZ universe so to speak, and how to guide them. I guess in theory having a plain Genesis figure as your starting off point is good for selling digital clothing and accessories, but I recently changed my basic start-up file to something more along these lines here (see attached) as I believe I like the way it makes me think.

Anyway I was just passing through...

basic_primitives_scene.jpg
    1024 x 539 - 94K

Branching off a bit, I was on the local library web pages here in Canada and the cover of a book they were highlighting reminded me of a motif I happen like - you know the thing where people assemble themselves into fonts or symbols -- like a heart shape say -- and then you take a drone shot and it becomes part of the wedding day album. I've personally been toying with having Lorenzo and Loretta Lorez do this, and maybe I would include the Lorez Dogs, that sort of thing.

So in this book, by Todd Rose, something called "Norma" is referenced. "Norma" was a sort of Everywoman figure from the 1950's I guess. Wow! Of possible interest, my local newspaper published an excerpt from the book. Most of this is about the Air Force and industrial (eg. military) design but I can't get over the included representation of "Norma".

https://www.thestar.com/news/insight/2016/01/16/when-us-air-force-discovered-the-flaw-of-averages.html

So again I was drawn here by the "aerial" motif that I wanted to try with the Lorez figures.

Btw if you go to the stock image libraries this sort of thing has been done literally a zillion times.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    Greymom said:
    dracorn said:
    avxp said:

Careful with Red Sonja. Conan (I LOVE Me some Conan - oh man, the Savage Sword B&W reprints are such a huge inspiration) ran around in, basically, a loin cloth.

No shirt either...even though I know he's supposed to be from the 'north' they depected him in wintery climates with no shirt on. 

But it's not just armor. Superhero suits are the worst.

Chain maile bikinis!

I've been to ren faires and comicons that have actual chain maille bikinis.  They are not nearly as uncomfortable as they look if they are well made.  the trick is smaller rings and the rings all have to be closed just about perfectly.

Back in a previous millenium, when I had time to go to Cons (before the term Cosplay was even invented), there used to be any number of vendors who made everything from chain mail veils to long dresses, in steel, copper, and aluminum.   I recall  a member of one of the New Orleans SciFi clubs was wandering around a major con in Texas, wearing a long chain mail tunic, a chain mail headpiece, and a thong (and that is all).  Suddenly, one of her nipples became caught in one of the steel rings somehow, resulting in serious discomfort.   Male onlookers literally fell over each other trying to rush to her aid.  There were no permanent injuries.  The temporary solution was the use of "pasties" (which actually were available in the dealer's room).  This incident stressed the importance of small, well-formed rings in the mail, or wearing padding under the mail.

I'm pretty sure my neighbors think I'm crazy because I am sitting here laughing my butt off.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    edited June 2017
    JazzyBear said:

Honestly I would love to see most of the standard armor from Pathfinder/DnD represented as I do a lot of requests for my local players for depictions of their RPG characters. Leather, studded leather, ring, scale(as above) chain and a lot more before we get to full plate would all be an auto purchase. And in both male and female! 

There was a shader pack released in the last couple of months that can be used to to apply all of the above to outfits.

Edited to add, it looks like someone has already linked it several posts up..

Post edited by IceDragonArt on
  • tj_1ca9500btj_1ca9500b Posts: 2,048
    Roman_K2 said:

Branching off a bit, I was on the local library web pages here in Canada and the cover of a book they were highlighting reminded me of a motif I happen like - you know the thing where people assemble themselves into fonts or symbols -- like a heart shape say -- and then you take a drone shot and it becomes part of the wedding day album. I've personally been toying with having Lorenzo and Loretta Lorez do this, and maybe I would include the Lorez Dogs, that sort of thing.

So in this book, by Todd Rose, something called "Norma" is referenced. "Norma" was a sort of Everywoman figure from the 1950's I guess. Wow! Of possible interest, my local newspaper published an excerpt from the book. Most of this is about the Air Force and industrial (eg. military) design but I can't get over the included representation of "Norma".

https://www.thestar.com/news/insight/2016/01/16/when-us-air-force-discovered-the-flaw-of-averages.html

So again I was drawn here by the "aerial" motif that I wanted to try with the Lorez figures.

Btw if you go to the stock image libraries this sort of thing has been done literally a zillion times.

Interesting read.  This is why I don't get hung up on specific proportions, rather on how well the proportions flatter each other in each individual case.  If everyone looked more or less the same, life would be much more boring...

And yeah, that Norma ideal isn't bad looking, but you don't see many girls that are really close to how she looks.  These days even less, due to the changes in average waist size...

Someone should do a Norma G3F model based on the statue in the linked article just for fun!

• tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,614

Ir started bugging me when my daughter pointed it out. Saying.. Ew! Her butt is hanging out! LOL!...

Then it started dawning on me how sexualized these "warrior" outfits are.

Well, at least your daughter will dress sensibly if she needs to armour up for a zombie apocalypse or alien invasion.

Chain mail t-shirt screenshot attached. JG's "Metal Abounds" shader on the basic Genesis-K4 gray T-shirt.

chain-mail-tshirt.jpg
    1366 x 768 - 282K
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882
    edited June 2017

Modeling it yourself is a solution, but may not neccisarily be a practical one.  Best I can tell, modeling and texturing an outfit isn't a quick thing (unless we're talking a sleeveless mini-dress or something similarly skimpy)

My modeling skills, for example, are not yet up to doing a decent set of armor (and my UV-ing skills are crap).  But even if they were, it adds time to completing the image.  And if, for example, a friend asked me today to do a set of character portraits and paper minis for an all female mercenary D&D event at Gen-Con (roughly 9 weeks away at this time), with each woman wearing a visually unique style, and I had to model armor for even half of them first, I don't know I could do it in time.

(I realize that there currently are enough practical and semi-practical sets that, combined with kitbashing, I could do 6-8 such characters, but if I'd been asked to do so last year, I'm not sure I could have managed it without using multiple Genesis generations.)

Post edited by DaWaterRat on
  • XenomorphineXenomorphine Posts: 2,421

I don't understand why it has to be an either/or situation.

https://www.daz3d.com/alicia-armor-outfit-for-genesis-3-female-s

I instantly got this product because it looked practical, yet it includes options to give it more of an eroticised appearance if an artist desires it. Sex sells, for sure, but there's no reason a set of armour can't be designed for pragmatism and then given options to make it seem alluring. That covers all bases. Those of us who want realism can fit them accordingly, while those desiring sex appeal can use the same product for their uses, too.

Arki's Rune Armour sets also do this, by allowing legless/sleeveless appearances.

• cherpenbeckcherpenbeck Posts: 1,411

Bought that earlier, and I really like it, looks like you can actually move in combat with this one.

edited June 2017

Modeling it yourself is a solution, but may not neccisarily be a practical one.  Best I can tell, modeling and texturing an outfit isn't a quick thing (unless we're talking a sleeveless mini-dress or something similarly skimpy)

My modeling skills, for example, are not yet up to doing a decent set of armor (and my UV-ing skills are crap).  But even if they were, it adds time to completing the image.  And if, for example, a friend asked me today to do a set of character portraits and paper minis for an all female mercenary D&D event at Gen-Con (roughly 9 weeks away at this time), with each woman wearing a visually unique style, and I had to model armor for even half of them first, I don't know I could do it in time.

(I realize that there currently are enough practical and semi-practical sets that, combined with kitbashing, I could do 6-8 such characters, but if I'd been asked to do so last year, I'm not sure I could have managed it without using multiple Genesis generations.)

I think this is the point people are totally missing.  Most people get into Daz because of the speed and ease of use.  If someone even a year into Daz starts discovering that all the stuff they want to do is going to require modeling (of various degrees of complexity)  you've immediately taken the speed and ease out of it and that person may as well skip Daz altogether and simply go on to Blender or one of the high end programs.

Skimpy clothing aside,  this topic still comes up when it comes to characters of various ages and ethnicities and invariably someone will come along and say "Duh, why doncha' model it yerself?".  And while these people might be very advanced in Daz, you see that they're asking people to model stuff they don't even render, so they have no idea how complex the task is they're asking for.  Don't tell me to model a pre-teen character when you don't do kid's stuff and have never done a passable character of that type yourself!   That really gets my goat.

Yes I think when people get truly serious about their art, they will pick up additional skills,  but some people don't want to get that serious, and not all of them necessarily want to do pictures of buxom babes in impractical modes of dress.  The prevailing attitude to that demographic seems to be "Well,  sorry you can figure it out on your own,  even though there are no manuals and the info is scattered all over the place, most of it for versions of Daz you probably don't even have now".

Makes you wonder why so few people ever use Daz for other types of art, but I'm done,  this topic is like trying to have a political discussion,  very few people are willing to look at the viewpoint of the other side; or you've got this prevalent "I've figured it out so I'm good, you need to do the same" attitude.

Post edited by nelsonsmith on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,964

Regarding ethnicity, there is a middle argument where there are products that allow different stuff to be reasonable easily made. I mean, if I want to make a figure look more African in origin, I have a set of African models to start with, another set of ethnic stuff, plus a load of face/nose sliders to work with. Which also has the benefit of not ending up with a bunch of African figures that always look the same.

With figure stuff, the big argument isn't 'why don't you model it yourself' so much as 'there are two products that let you make, like, infinity people, why would you want to pay for 20 different figures?'

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715
    Fabe said:
    isidorn said:

Yeah there is time and a place even for sexy warrior women. It would just be nice to actually have the choice ,which is the compliant most of us seem to have. It seem the  majority of female outfits here whether it sci-fi fantasy or just real world is all sexy. Yeah sure stuff like the image JVRenderer are nice to look at( I like it) but it would be nice to  render a woman warrior who is more then just eye candy and is wearing some thing  that looks like it could actually give her some protection. 

This.

I think a lot of the people defending sexy armour (and pretty much anything female related) don't seem to see that the market is over balanced in that direction.  This is one of the reasons that Daz's core base of support is what it is.  It doesn't really cater to people doing other types of art

Is it overbalanced?

I see lots of claims, but no evidence. (Overbalanced in this case means: that there are a number of opportunities not being taken advantage of.)

There are products I'd like to buy that rarely come up for sale, or are not that great when they do. I'm still waiting for a good set of men's trousers - not decent, but good.

Speaking of opportunities (above): I know the PAs here produce what sells; does this mean that they miss out because they don't make something that has never been tested? Sure, on occasions, but it's a risk when you're making a living at it.

... It's like going into work next week/month, and wondering if you'll get paid, and even if you do get paid, will it be what you need to survive on. That puts a different perspective on it imo. How many of us in a career/job that pays a regular amount, would consider such an eventuality acceptable.

When I've the time, I make stuff, otherwise I manage without or put the idea on the burner behind the back one.

• JazzyBearJazzyBear Posts: 803
    JazzyBear said:

There was a shader pack released in the last couple of months that can be used to to apply all of the above to outfits.

Edited to add, it looks like someone has already linked it several posts up..

Yes thanks!

• FenixPhoenixFenixPhoenix Posts: 3,070

Someone mentioned using Wear Them All to transfer male armor/outfits to females and I second that. The tool pretty much opens endless posibilities for kitbashing. That and the numerous amazing shaders available. For example:

I also use No Suit Morphs for Genesis 3 Female(s) whenever I like an outfit, but would prefer it without decorative "windows" (let's call them that haha). So you go from a bathingsuit semi-armor thing to... bam! She's no longer wearing a bathingsuit!

• isidorn said:
    dracorn said:

I just saw this in the Daz Gallery and wanted to post a link.

PROOF that bikini armor actually works!

Bikini Armor

Not to take anything away from that render. This is an old classic from out in the interwebs and I believe it's been posted here on the forums before in similar discussions. Not only are bikini armour very effective. Full plate armours are also ridiculously useless cheeky

I seem to remember the old Dragon Magazine or some such having a cartoon as well back in the day... I felt the need to do a Daz version of the concept just because!

This might be it:

My render also pays a small homage to Bruce Lee, as Aiko's got 'tude!

SO TRUE (lol!)
    Liked "Ahhh my eyes!!" :o

Roman_K2 said:

Chain mail t-shirt screenshot attached. JG's "Metal Abounds" shader on the basic Genesis-K4 gray T-shirt.

Yeah indeed JGreenlee's Iray shaders are marvelous and stunning upon to be like ... a must-purchase !!!
    If PC+ member it's even become to be interesting !

Just got those shaders during the PC+ Anniversary sale ! ^^

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,602

I render female warriors but I usually just put them in the same clothing the men wear. Fatigues and body armor.

In general, I don't render females that often, because so many others do it better and there are so many stunning images of women in the gallery.