Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 9

Comments

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

whoa, those images in your post are BAD. That's shocking. It almost looks like you are autofitting the G3 version to G8... I haven't got the dress so can't check it out but i really hope that gets fixed.  

Novica said:

I didn't notice it on Alice, but she has extra "padding" so I assumed it was her and not the outfit. This is the only views I have, here's the  post.

I can't really tell with your character, but it doesn't do it with a base G8 but add a morph and it does, so I am thinking it is somethign with the dress.

• shadowhawk1shadowhawk1 Posts: 2,191
    jakiblue said:

whoa, those images in your post are BAD. That's shocking. It almost looks like you are autofitting the G3 version to G8... I haven't got the dress so can't check it out but i really hope that gets fixed.  

Novica said:

I didn't notice it on Alice, but she has extra "padding" so I assumed it was her and not the outfit. This is the only views I have, here's the  post.

I can't really tell with your character, but it doesn't do it with a base G8 but add a morph and it does, so I am thinking it is somethign with the dress.

Yeah something isn't right, I even redownloaded it just to make sure that there wasn't a download error and still got the same result.

are you using the new Beta version of DS, or the regular current version?

I am using the current version of 4.9

hmm then i'm out of ideas. Other than bad product. Ha. I've heard a few people say they were having some problems with the beta, so wondered if it was that.  

jakiblue said:

hmm then i'm out of ideas. Other than bad product. Ha. I've heard a few people say they were having some problems with the beta, so wondered if it was that.  

Yeah I generally stay away from the Beta's and don't download a new version until a week or two after it is out to see what problems people are having.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,874
    edited October 2017

Collective3D Movie Sets Home Interior       BD Aspen for Victoria 8        Denim Jumper Outfit for Genesis 8 Female(s)        Anita Hair for Genesis 8 Female(s)

Iray Ghost Light Kit

The Movie Sets Home Interior is just perfect for a two room  scene. The door jam makes an interesting frame for renders shooting from another room, and going back the other way, you then have that room in the background. This is using Pro-Studio Lighting, 14R. Plus one Ghost Light, the reason for my post.

For anyone who hasn't tried Ghost Lights, or even those who do, a tip. As you know, you click and make the light (that black and white checkered plane) invisible BEFORE you do the presets. TIP: Have it selected with the Surface Tool (the three sheets of paper icon, above the viewport)  and it will be outlighted in orange. So when you move it around to make changes, you see it easily!  

To save yourself some testing time, when you first place the Ghost Light, start at the TOP. If it isn't right from the top, it won't be right anywhere else. I've shown the different views so you can see where this light was located to get the final result.

I don't put dark hair in front of a dark background without at least a dim rim light. Ghost Lights are perfect for that. I would, of course, first rotate the camera slightly to see if that will get the dark hair in front of a lighter background. If that isn't possible, add light to the hair. I prefer from the back and off to the side. I also don't like it when faces seem to float because not only is the dark hair/background together, but the neck too!  I try to do a bit of cheek and neck when I add a Ghost Light.

TIP: Don't just do a thin line for a rim light, it looks very staged, or even hand drawn.   When outlining a head/hair against a dark background, experiment and light more than a teeny line. It may look better with a wider strip, and if you are highlighting hair, get it so the lighting hits strands unevenly. Even if there's just small in and outs, it keeps it from looking hand drawn.

Second TIP, don't rim light all the way to the top, or all the way to the bottom. The mind will do "closure" and see the head without it being half-semi circled in rim lights. And it looks more natural. When you do light it, consider if you want a really strong rim, or just one to make a difference. And let those characters' heads get noticed instead of blending into the background!

Before and after: here's the before, rendering the after. This room doesn't render fast, there's only one character, and no props were added to the scene for the shelves.  They open in new windows, click back and forth. 

Screenshots of viewport. The orange outline makes the Ghost Light easy to find as it's selected by the Surface Tool.

aspenColl3dMovSetsInternior.png
    700 x 750 - 970K
    aspenGHOST GROUP.png
    943 x 935 - 822K
    aspenColl3dGhostDONE.png
    700 x 750 - 847K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • StormlyghtStormlyght Posts: 666
    edited October 2017
    Novica said:

@serenenight   Yeah, I saw Bijou mentioned on the sale thread and went ahead and got her. Since her original price is now reasonable, I don't think it's a glitch that she's finally priced where she should be.

Hi,

I don't know when you purchased Bijou but she's currently in Fast Grab for even less this morning (7:10 a.m. Central). I don't know if they do price adjustments for Fast Grab sale items but it can't hurt to try.

Trish

Post edited by Stormlyght on
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 11,393

L'Adair said:

Bijou is now available for a reasonable price

https://www.daz3d.com/bijou-for-genesis-2-female-s

Why was she so godawful expensive for a while? She just looks like a typical Silver girl.

In one of the many threads that popped up over this, I read she was from Belladzines. The vendor changed "her" name here at Daz and now goes by Anna Benjamin. Whether or not she really is the vendor who created Bijou, though, I do not know for certain.

Anna Benjamin is Secretheart, not Belladzines.

• cismiccismic Posts: 629

@IceDragonArt  Oki dokie, here are some additional renders with Tonal Rage,  KindredArts New Lens FX Camera. Same camera but different lights and tone settings. 

Including original image as well.

1. The first image is without any FX nor tonal rage and uses minor fill light, I've kept off my rim lights. 
    2. The second image is with both FX and tonal rage. Rim lights on.
    3. The third only FX with rim lights.
    4. The fouth image I turned on crush blacks to the highest number. Don't know where the artifact came from :-)

Where's PrettyTest 00.jpg
    2400 x 3120 - 3M
    Where's Pretty Test 01.jpg
    1200 x 1560 - 715K
    Where's Pretty Test 02.jpg
    1200 x 1560 - 999K
    Where's Pretty Test 03.jpg
    1200 x 1560 - 928K
    Where's Pretty Test 04.jpg
    1200 x 1560 - 1M
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    cismic said:

@IceDragonArt  Oki dokie, here are some additional renders with Tonal Rage,  KindredArts New Lens FX Camera. Same camera but different lights and tone settings. 

Including original image as well.

1. The first image is without any FX nor tonal rage and uses minor fill light, I've kept off my rim lights. 
    2. The second image is with both FX and tonal rage. Rim lights on.
    3. The third only FX with rim lights.
    4. The fouth image I turned on crush blacks to the highest number. Don't know where the artifact came from :

Thank you!  I was right, it does combine well. Which opens up a whole new range of colors etc. to use with the LensFX.  Thanks for taking the time to do this!

@stormlyght   Hi Trish, yes they do. They honor price differences for different promotions, Fast Grab, etc. Thanks for the heads up. BTW, I sent you a PM.

If you got the orange banner: 

The Trefoil / Eavan Bundle was 89 cents for me (with the Goblar, Impish Goblar, and Vampyres Bane poses stuff in the cart. Use those for your 3 free items to get 5 Match Its for free)  GenX2 her up to other generations. The outfit is cute! I think this was one of the Match Its

If you want a versatile outfit, checkout all the thumbnails for the TOA Amblyn (Gen2/ Gen3) It's a Match It

For head morphs (Gen2 and 3) there's UltraGenesis 2/3

The ISXR Motorcycle looks like fun for a Match It

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

I stocked up on Modern Muses. I love Surreality's characters! 

Well now. Mr Goblar has black undies PAINTED on to his base skin. So good luck trying to turn him into an orc or fantasy alien warrior with a loin cloth.....or low slung pants....or lots of other clothing. I am REALLY angry about this - nowhere on the product page does it state this or even show this. His versatility is now zero and he is useless to me. I am returning him for a refund along with the accompanying poses - I will not buy base skins that clothing painted on, particularly if it is NEVER MENTIONED. 

Novica mentioned the TOA Amblyn outfit and I wanted to point out this one by the same vendor: TOA Divine For Gen3F I've always passed over this outfit in the past and don't have much familiarity with the vendor, but I wanted to show how extremely versatile this outfit is! It took me by surprise. Have a look at the screenshot for the options included - you can make the skirt shorter or have a lace hem (or both); you can turn the peplum top into a midriff top with or without lace hem, hide the cuffs or turn them into lace, hide the peplum, turn the peplum into lace or net or fine.....this truly surprised me just how many options the vendor has included! If only more products did this!

I don't particularly like the shoes, but I do have other shoes that I like better so that's no big deal. But a peplum top that works for business/casual/going out attire, that can be turned into a sexy little midriff top, with or without sleeves, or a normal top for everyday wear etc....wow. This is brilliant! The materials aren't iray, but I have so many iray shaders by this point, that I don't care LOL. 

This truly gives you bang for your buck. And if you missed it in the "match this" sale, it's a daz original so should turn up in one of the numerous DO sales down the line. 

peplum.jpg
    774 x 543 - 141K
    jakiblue said:

Well now. Mr Goblar has black undies PAINTED on to his base skin.

Oh REALLY?  Ouch. Why on earth would they do that????

No idea. Stupid idea, plus it was deliberately hidden on the store promos, which is what makes me angrier. 

Flames....flames n the side of my face.....

Novica said:
    jakiblue said:

Well now. Mr Goblar has black undies PAINTED on to his base skin.

Oh REALLY?  Ouch. Why on earth would they do that????

edited October 2017

Glad you scooped up the TOA Divine. I have all but 10 of her items, she's one of my favorites. We have featured that dress before I think (or mentioned it. But good luck keeping up with everything we all mention, eh? I can't do it!)  Maybe that will take your mind off that green goblin...

Anyone got a render already of TOA's outfits? We'd love to see 'em. I'm doing Bijou right now.

Post edited by Novica on

I was going to render the amblyn and the divine later today - stuck in promoland at the moment ha ha...plus i have 12 seasons of Supernatural to binge on .....hmmmm....art vs sam&dean....can't decide. laugh 

Novica said:

Glad you scooped up the TOA Divine. I have all but 10 of her items, she's one of my favorites. We have featured that dress before I think (or mentioned it. But good luck keeping up with everything we all mention, eh? I can't do it!)  Maybe that will take your mind off that green goblin...

Anyone got a render already of TOA's outfits? We'd love to see 'em. I'm doing Bijou right now.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

I need some help. Did anyone here grab Pose Blender the last day of the PA Sale? If so, how much did you pay for it? I lost my emails and I have nothing to reference, but it is currently in the Select Spotlight Items. I'd like to ask CS for a refund of the difference.

L'Adair said:

I need some help. Did anyone here grab Pose Blender the last day of the PA Sale? If so, how much did you pay for it? I lost my emails and I have nothing to reference, but it is currently in the Select Spotlight Items. I'd like to ask CS for a refund of the difference.

I think I got it the exact same day you did. Hold on.

edited October 2017
    Pose Blender 46371 1 $11.98

And it's 8.09 right now 

Post edited by Novica on

That's before any more deductions? I am so confused about the Spotlight. It's 50% off. Then 20% for New Debut OR Still New. Then ANOTHER 20% if it's TWO New Debuts? 

edited October 2017
    Novica said:
    Pose Blender 46371 1 $11.98

And it's 8.09 right now 

Thank you, @Novica.

I put it in my cart and took a screenshot for reference, (of course, I've got to buy two new releases to trigger the extra discounts.) Also, if you have Vascularity for G3, check your Exclusive Offers. There's an extra 10% on Vascularity G8 in my cart. I did notice buying two Debut kicks in another discount on both. I don't think that's advertised.

Cart screenshot

Cart with Pose Blender for Reference_2017-10-20_00.40.53.png
    1130 x 912 - 173K
    Post edited by L'Adair on
    edited October 2017
    Novica said:

That's before any more deductions? I am so confused about the Spotlight. It's 50% off. Then 20% for New Debut OR Still New. Then ANOTHER 20% if it's TWO New Debuts? 

That's what the sales copy says. But take a close look at the category. Some of those items are at a higher discount to start. Pose Blender and Eye Clock both are currently at 73% before additional discounts.

Post edited by L'Adair on
    edited October 2017

I was going to point out the eye one, since I mentioned it on the thread I figured maybe you grabbed that or had seen it anyway.  Yep, I have it in my cart and screenshotted already, I have been busy checking every product in the spotlight. Don't forget your five free items (or three, with 2 new releases.)

Did you buy any of IH Kangs? Like the Police Officer Uniform? I'm comparing prices on the Eye Clock Pose Control, Desperado HD Expansion, Police Uniform, and the Soap Suds.

Post edited by Novica on

No, the only item in the Spotlight category I purchased recently was Pose Blender. I checked, of course.
    laugh

I didn't even think about the Match Its! I'm really beginning to feel sorry for the folks in Customer Service...

• cismiccismic Posts: 629

When, I first saw Biju's price at close to 250.00 in the store I thought it was odd and funny. Glad It was in FG. MIne for under 5.00.

Just a quick render with all G2 stuff, Hair, etc. Not much with Biju though. Turned out nice I added iray for genesis 2.

Biju Under The Bokha Two.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 514K
    edited October 2017

Bijou for Genesis 2 Female(s)        Rave Dress For Genesis 2 Female(s)       Cyra Hair for Genesis 2 Female(s)

LOL @cismic   Yours is the day version, (quite lovely, the lighting, background, poses are top notch)   here's Bijou after dark. This was one of the freebies I picked up in Match It, shows you how much stuff I already own. Well, not quite. I picked up the outfit because when I showcase I want to show the skin materials, and this isn't any worse than a swimsuit (if shown at the right angle.) It's definitely not my normal choice for outfits! (Free is free.) 

This has my lips on her, they're a bit wider and more volume. I, too, used a skin shader, mine is JM Human Shader For Iray and I love that it works on multiple generations. 

I hadn't done a Genesis 2 in awhile!  Look at the upper arm crease in the second render, on our left. I don't have Beautiful Bends for Genesis 2 because I'll be GenXing anything from Genesis 2 up to the 3's if I use them. Curious- how many of you folks use Genesis 2 on a regular basis? There's a lot of nice characters.

bjiou my mouthJavierMichskin.png
    640 x 800 - 792K
    bjiou my mouthJavierMichskin2.png
    440 x 800 - 485K
    Post edited by Novica on
This discussion has been closed.