Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 9

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,874
    Taoz said:

I had a $0.60 credit and did buy the two bugs but they're still in my library. The price doesn't match either. So I don't think the store credit has anything to do with them.

HA! I got one cent more than you!

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,104

I just looked and I have $0.96 and didn't buy the bugs either :)

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,881
    Novica said:
    Taoz said:

I had a $0.60 credit and did buy the two bugs but they're still in my library. The price doesn't match either. So I don't think the store credit has anything to do with them.

HA! I got one cent more than you!

Unbelievable. I'll file a ticket!

• Novica said:

I just sent this in to Support, as I found the thread on the bugs (Creeper Collection) again, I thought they had that fixed but apparently not. (No way to download them, they removed some out of the store, but the ladybug and wasp were available yesterday.

This is what I paid yesterday:

Creepers Collection: The Lady Bug 16183 1 $0.79

Creepers Collection: The Wasp 16180 1 $0.80

I got a credit of 61 cents- and now I'm thinking it was for the bugs and not a Jack-fixed-intro-price. It should have been $1.59  I hate when they do credits and we have no idea why. Check your credit (go to My Account) and see if you have any, and if you bought the bugs.

And this is probably going to bug you until you figure it out... laugh

edited November 2017

Oh that was BAD.
    Edit- just added another Tiana in the post on the previous page.

Post edited by Novica on
    edited November 2017

Here's another Tiana for Monique 8 with Miranda Hair (G3F/G8F)  and wearing Blazer and Skinny Jeans Outfit (G8F)   (and textures)

tianakneel.png
    600 x 800 - 883K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited November 2017
    L'Adair said:
    1. Install Genesis 8 UV Swap.
    2. Load the figure you want to use. For example, DM's Jackson for G8M.
    3. Apply the skin materials from a G8F. For Example, DM's Clarke for G8F.
      • Go to the Surfaces->Presets.
      • Uncheck the "Filter By Context" box if checked.
      • Go to Materials->Iray->Feminine->Clarke for Genesis 8 Female->Skin
      • Double-click on the ""Clarke Base" icon.
      • Apply any other options you want as well.
    4. In the Surface-Editor, select the surfaces for Jackson.
    5. In the filter field above the properties column, type "UV" without the quotes. That will isolate the UV Set property.
    6. From the dropdown list, select Base Female.
    7. Now Clarke's skin materials fit Jackson.

It's pretty much the same thing you do now when you put one character's materials on another, except you have to change the UVs.

Okay. You may find some circumstances where applying the female materials to the males, or vice-versa, will need you to manually change the UV Set, however, it appears Daz Studio has been updated to automatically change UV Set to the correct UVs, if the UVs for that figure are installed. It didn't matter if the materials I used were my own from SB3, or materials from G3F or G8F characters I purchased. As long as the UVs were Base Female, the materials applied and the UV was set. The same was true of Teen Josie 8, the only "8" I own, at the moment. (Didn't Daz move to all the "8" figures using the Base Male and Female UVs? If so, all the 8s will apply to the opposite gender flawlessly.)

This means you can create and save a skin for your guys in Skin Builder 3, (or SB4, once released,) and simply apply the materials to your male model, as long as you have UV Swap for G3M installed if using G3M or UV Swap for G8M if using G8M.

FYI, attempts to apply any female "7" figure, (for example, Aiko 7,) caused this error: Invalild hierarchy for selected node(s) and "preset_hierarchical_material" type; no root(s) found. On the otherhand, I don't know of any UV Swap product for the female "7" figures to Genesis 8 Male anyway, so applying those materials will result in a mismatch regardless.

ETA: Unless you're really desperate to use, for example, Rune 7 on Michael 8. In which case, you can use my Map Transfer tutorial to convert Rune 7 materials to Base Female, and then apply to Michael!
    wink laugh

Post edited by L'Adair on
    edited November 2017
    LaverneGoddessMinervaPascaleHr.png
    600 x 800 - 918K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • pruggipruggi Posts: 151
    Novica said:

love this, very nice! Haven’t got the Pascale hair yet, but this is really tempting me - looks beautiful

edited November 2017

EDIT: updated the background 

For Monique 6, this one is great for 3DL renders, has a lot of different skin settings and includes some good lights:

https://www.daz3d.com/skin-masters-for-monique-6

A sample using the darkest skin setting, standard gloss and one of the included lights, took less than 6 minutes to render:

monique6_skin_masters_1200_01.jpg
    1200 x 1270 - 892K
    Post edited by Taoz on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    Taoz said:

For Monique 6, this one is great for 3DL renders, has a lot of different skin settings and includes some good lights:

A sample using the darkest skin setting, standard gloss and one of the included lights, took less than 6 minutes to render:

What outfit is that? Super cute!  Love her skin too. 

Taoz said:

What outfit is that? Super cute!  Love her skin too. 

NightHeart for Genesis 2 Female(s)  -  https://www.daz3d.com/catalog/product/view/id/17333
    NightHeart Outfit Textures  -  https://www.daz3d.com/catalog/product/view/id/17334

• Novica said:

Oh that was BAD.
    Edit- just added another Tiana in the post on the previous page.

If it made you smile, even briefly, it was worth it. wink

Hey folks, just heard from Jamie (support)  and as Richard said in another thread- if you got 60 or 61 cents, it was from a PC+ item not pricing correctly   https://www.daz3d.com/brrrrr-for-cool-casual so you are getting the price difference. But heads up- Jamie said they had been doing the Creepers Collection on a case by case basis but will be emailing everyone who purchased them and have them submit a ticket for a refund (in other words, they aren't doing it automatically.)  So if you bought the wasp or ladybug (and I guess any other C.Collection bugs) then file a ticket.

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,793
    Novica said:

Wow, I'm so jealous of all of you with NVIDIA cards. That would probably take over 24 hours with my high end Mac (that can't use NVIDIA cards) or my low end PC laptop...  Maybe a little faster on my Mac. I love that hair, but worry it would take FOREVER to render... Did the hair slow down the render noticeably?

I'm doing a render of just a girl and swords, no BG, nothing else in the scene, and it wasn't until 4 minutes and 10 seconds that anything even showed up in the render and at 10 minutes, it is barely a picture, mostly dots.This looks like it will be another 24 hour one. Ugh.

edited November 2017
    Novica said:

Wow, I'm so jealous of all of you with NVIDIA cards. That would probably take over 24 hours with my high end Mac (that can't use NVIDIA cards) or my low end PC laptop...  Maybe a little faster on my Mac. I love that hair, but worry it would take FOREVER to render... Did the hair slow down the render noticeably?

I'm doing a render of just a girl and swords, no BG, nothing else in the scene, and it wasn't until 4 minutes and 10 seconds that anything even showed up in the render and at 10 minutes, it is barely a picture, mostly dots.This looks like it will be another 24 hour one. Ugh.

@wonderland  Feel free to PM me with what you've got in your scene(s) and if I have all the products you can send me the duf and I'll crank it out for you. (I'm assuming that's how it would work.) 

Post edited by Novica on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,940
    Novica said:

Wow! one of your best renders ever, I think! Put that in your gallery. That hair looks nicer than the promos.

edited November 2017

Thanks, I really like the hair. It did all that on it's own, laid down perfectly onto the clothes without ANY tweaking. That's just out of the box. I did NOTHING to it. @wonderland  as to the render time, I don't think it adds much time because for an 600 x 800 pixel with long hair, my computer times are anywhere from 8 minutes to 20 usually, with the upper end being not only long hair, but THICK hair like this one.

Edit- also want to add something new I tried- that is a colored image background, I did it totally desaturated and tried a dull gray over it, to complement the red outfit. I had a light red at first but like the no-color background look to accentuate the character. (Good for showcasing.)  The background is originally a light blue.

Post edited by Novica on
    edited November 2017

FWSA Imani HD For Monique 8      Looking Back Outfit for Genesis 8    Pixie Pretty Hair for Genesis 8 Female(s)

Very busty and hippy. I reduced the bust (you can't see it on the first one) but left the hip as it was. This skin is VERY dark- I lessened the midtones and contrast, increased highlights. 

imani lookingbackpixie ready.png
    452 x 782 - 554K
    imani lookingbackpixie ready2.png
    600 x 800 - 776K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • cismiccismic Posts: 629
    barbult said:
    Novica said:

Wow! one of your best renders ever, I think! Put that in your gallery. That hair looks nicer than the promos.

@novica Very cool render! Great skin figure really stands out.

Novica said:
    Novica said:

@wonderland  Feel free to PM me with what you've got in your scene(s) and if I have all the products you can send me the duf and I'll crank it out for you. (I'm assuming that's how it would work.) 

That is soooo sweet Novica! But in this case, I will just let it render over night because I kitbashed a lot of different things and don't really remember everything, plus I used custom morphs and shaders and am rendering at 3200 pixels height. It makes me feel better actually that 600x800 takes you up to 20 minutes because I thought people were rendering in seconds! I see some YouTube videos where people's screens were converging in real time in IRay preview as they were manipulating a character whereas I have to wait several minutes just to get that to converge enough so I can check lighting! 

Still debating over the Pascale hair. It's above my price point even on sale at 62% off but I know it will be a long time before it goes lower. I was about to check out without it, but you made it look so amazing! Ugh. Have to leave the house but I can't decide on my cart!

• NathNath Posts: 2,771

I was tempted by the Pro Bundle, but in the end managed to keep it down to just Monique, Laverne, Imani, the Minerva outfit and the Pascale hair.

edited November 2017

Alondra for Monique 8      Strike Back Outfit for Genesis 8 Female(s)       Happenstance Hair For Genesis 8 Female(s)

I really like the Happenstance Hair too. Very easy to work with. Render time 16 minutes. Edit: BTW, these gals are all using the exact same light from Pro-Studio, so you can compare apples and apples.

alondrastrikebackHappenstanceHr.png
    600 x 800 - 817K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited November 2017

Alondra for Monique 8       Happenstance Hair For Genesis 8 Female(s)

Closeup. 4125 iterations, 35 minutes.

alondrastrikebackHappenstanceHr2.png
    600 x 800 - 949K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited November 2017
    Novica said:

Alondra for Monique 8       Happenstance Hair For Genesis 8 Female(s)

Closeup. 4125 iterations, 35 minutes.

Beautiful! The skin looks amazing!

I don't know if anyone reviewed Marigold hair, but although I really like it, it doesn't work with fantasy ears because it expands around them, growing larger around the ears. Here is a partial render (now at 4 hours because I had to restart due to an error) and I kept the ears small because the hair kept expanding around the ears and the left braid was supposedly way behind the shoulder and definitely looked that way in perspective view but clearly it is sticking into the armor. I was hoping not to have to do a lot of postwork just correcting the render itself, but that is rarely possible. I would rather do postwork than start the render over and I dont know if the left braid can go farther back behind the shoulder than it seemed it already was.

4 hrs 469 iterations... ugh..... (This is just a section, it's a full body render, but still...)

Alien girl partial render Alicia_Hollinger.PNG
    842 x 585 - 935K
    Post edited by Wonderland on

@wonderland  Darn, I can't check it. Didn't buy it. I do click cogs (In Parameters) and uncheck the limits if I have to move something (even if it distorts, if it's out of view, that's fine.) That's a cute character you're using.

Novica said:

@wonderland  Darn, I can't check it. Didn't buy it. I do click cogs (In Parameters) and uncheck the limits if I have to move something (even if it distorts, if it's out of view, that's fine.) That's a cute character you're using.

Thanks! It's default G8 skin with my morphs. I like the texture of default G8 skin but the eyebrows seem only suitable for fantasy art, they look really fake to me.

I might send tech support images of the hair when larger ears are used, the hair really blows out of proportion, following the ears in size. Surprising because it's an OOT product. I probably could have moved the left braid with limits off but the weird thing was that in perspective view it LOOKED like the braid was way behind, nowhere near the armor, so I let it render right before I left the house. I came back 4 hours into the render, and it takes less time doing postwork (which I always do anyway for artistic purposes) than starting the render over on either of my CPU only computers...

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,104
    edited November 2017

I like the look of the Hidden Waterfall Pool but when it is rendered with the Mist on there is a straight line across where the water meets the pool. See the images below.

Mist on.

Mist off.

hidden-cave-pool-001.jpg
    800 x 1200 - 630K
    hidden-cave-pool-002.jpg
    800 x 1200 - 720K
    Post edited by Fishtales on

@Fishtales, it looks like the mist is a plane, (maybe?) that's intersecting the water. Maybe moving it up would help?

I bought the Hidden Waterfall Pool, but I haven't tried it yet. Now I'm curious, and must take a look. lol

I might send tech support images of the hair when larger ears are used, the hair really blows out of proportion, following the ears in size. Surprising because it's an OOT product.

Maybe the information here will help: How to make hair ignore ears

This discussion has been closed.