Carrara Challenge #34 - Sing to Me, Muse - WIP Thread

DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
edited August 2017 in Carrara Discussion

Carrara Challenge #34 - Sing to Me, Muse - WIP Thread

The theme is "Sing to Me, Muse."  The term muse has come to mean any source of inspiration for any creation, endeavor, or enterprise.  For this challenge, please provide us with an example of your artistic muse for this image (not necessarily the muse for your life as a whole, but a muse for your particular image this month).  For example, if you were to be inspired by Johnny Cash's song, Ring of Fire, please either copy and paste the lyrics or copy a link to a youtube video (or other) of him singing the song.  If you were to be inspired to render very tasty Golden Corn Puffs, you could copy and paste the appropriate recipe from page 628 of the Joy of Cooking,  You will have to indicate your muse for each image at least once in the WIP thread, and also with your final image in the entry thread.

The theme is quite open.  Interpret it broadly.  Whatever inspires you is OK - as long as you can find a way to indicate it without violating the forum TOS.  If looking for more guidance, you could focus on the word "song" and use music as your muse, with appropriate links, musical scores, or lyrics.  Or, you could focus on the word "Muse," and depict one or more of the ancient muses.  Or, you could consider the reference and render something from Homer, such as the following excerpt.

“Sing to me of the man, Muse, the man of twists and turns
driven time and again off course, once he had plundered
the hallowed heights of Troy.” (Homer, The Odyssey Book 1)

Be hindered by no boundaries, other than the forum TOS.  If you are inspired to render a landscape, go for it.  A mode of public transportation?  go for it.  Space station?  Book cover?  Realstic style?  Toon?  Other?  Go for it.  Just make sure to find a way to provide us evidence of your muse by providing a link, copying and pasting, or anything else that complies with the forum TOS.

Enter as many times as you wish

Each image may be inspired by a different muse.  However, you may have more than one image inspired by the same muse.

Important dates - Entry Thread Closes August 11th

- WIP thread opens - July 6th, 2017, 3pm, Eastern Standard Time, US.

- Entry thread opens - July 30th, 2017, Midnight, Eastern Standard Time, US.

- Entry thread closes, votng begins - August 11th, 2017, Midnight, Eastern Standard Time, US.

- Voting thread closes, winners announced, - August 18th, 2017, Midnight, Eastern Standard Time, US.

DazSponsored Prizes

Best Artist Participation (cumulative among all of an artist's entries): $50 towards DAZ 3D owned item(s)         
Best Photorealistic Render (still image, yes, postwork is allowed): $50 towards DAZ 3D owned item(s)
Best Non-photorealistic or Stylized Render (still image, yes, postwork is allowed): $50 towards DAZ 3D owned item(s)
** Best Carrara Animation ** : $45 towards DAZ 3D owned item(s)  -- (this replaces Best Demonstration of Theme just for this month because of unique self-selected muses)

Mike Moir Sponsorship

An image or animation will be selected to receive an item from Mmoir's Daz store.

https://www.daz3d.com/mmoir

I've made an announcement in the Commons forum thread for Daz sponsored contests.  I've also opened a thread in the Art Studio Forum specific to Carrara.  If you ever get the urge, feel free to share there.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/182166/carrara-challenge-34-sing-to-me-muse-any-muse-does-not-have-to-be-music#latest

Entry Thread is here

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/187501/carrara-challenge-34-enry-thread#latest

Most of all, have fun, and find your inspiration anywhere, from anything, or anyone.

a banner

BannerCA34.jpg
800 x 100 - 56K
Post edited by Diomede on

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited July 2017

Example of Muse = Johnny Cash's song, Ring of Fire.

Render of a ring of fire.

The Muse - Click to View

You can find an example of how to find and link a music video to your forum post here.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/2603926/#Comment_2603926

edited July 2017

Frequently Asked Questions

Is postwork allowed?  Yes.  The WIP thread must include the raw render from Carrara (or plugin like Lux or Octane), but postowrk is allowed for all entries.

Is there a modeling requirement?  No.  Not this month.

How many entries may I submit?  As many as you wish.

For those entering animations, may they also excerpt a frame and submit it in the still categories?  Yes, a frame from an animation entry may be submitted as a still in either the photoreal or stylized (NPR) categories.

Are there minimum or maximum limits to the lengths of animations?  No.

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

Wow! Great! I like the theme.

edited July 2017

Thanks - I hope everyone enjoys it.  Plus, I am looking forward to seeing examples of what inspires people. 

I will be updating the announcement to answer frequently asked questions, but it is standard rules. Entries must be new during the time of the challenge.  At least one post must be made to the WIP thread discussing the usage of Carrara (and the muse).  Postwork is allowed but the unaltered result of a Carrara render (or octane or lux plugin) should be included in the WIP thread.  No particular tools or functions such as modeling are required. There are separate categories for different types of renders and for artist overall. 

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

heart

ONJ as a muse

Fantastic! 

Mistara said:

heart

ONJ as a muse

edited July 2017

Here is another example - NOT AN ENTRY - Talk Dirty to Me

Render

Muse - click to view

edited July 2017

One more example of a muse. Does NOT have to be music.  Again, not an entry.

George Bernard Shaw's Caesar and Cleopatra.

"Taxes are the chief business of a conqueror of the world."

--Caesar, Act II

Quote found here.

http://www.literary-quotations.com/c/caesar_and_cleopatra.html

Taxes are the chief business of a world conq.jpg
    800 x 800 - 69K
  • wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    edited July 2017

Kewl... a challenge within a Challenge.   I'm going with...

The title words used in the song describe my modeling... let alone my learning of Carrara in it's entirety.

Post edited by wgdjohn on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988
    edited July 2017

@Diomede Mine is a Roman theme as well... go figure!

What I did today was use the new Morpheus morphs to create several Romans posed differently then exported as an OBJ to save on resources..

Used the replicator to get my Roman Choir together and put the conductor out front using his blade as the baton stick thing for conducting.

Inspired by Coldplay's Viva La Vida

I hear Jerusalem bells a-ringing
    Roman cavalry choirs are singing
    Be my mirror, my sword and shield
    My missionaries in a foreign field
    For some reason I can't explain
    Once you'd go there was never
    Never an honest word
    that was when I ruled the world 

WiP1.jpg
    1873 x 970 - 277K
    Roman Cavalry Choirs are Singing.jpg
    800 x 450 - 415K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

hehe, very amusing :)

nice choice of topic

A Song by Denis Leary and some by  King Missile come to mind.

Cows with Guns even.

My inspiration so far is:

Diomede, I completely share you musical taste.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988
    edited July 2017

head wax said:

some by  King Missile come to mind.

OMG!

Twas on the good ship Venus!

Post edited by Stezza on

ha ha yes, I like how 'it' was found in a second hand shop(market?)  next to a broken toaster

Vyusur said:

My inspiration so far is:

lots of good visuals to take home with that :)

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,339
    edited July 2017

Dragons - inspirational legendary creatures.

Keep Holding On - by Avril Lavigne. Single from the movie Eragon

Keep Holding On 1.png
    1918 x 1042 - 1M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
    edited July 2017

WIP

Keep Holding On 1 800.png
    800 x 600 - 1M
    edited July 2017

A few details added

Keep Holding On 1b 800.png
    800 x 600 - 1M

Hear ye!  Hear, Ye!

There will be a separate category for animations in this month's Carrara Challenge.  There has been a category for "Best Demonstration of the Theme," but this month's theme involves people picking and demonstrating their own muse.  Therefore, the ProConsul for Life (or until August 18th, whichever comes first) declares that the Best Demonstration of Theme Category will be temporarily replaced with Best Carrara Animation.  I leave it up to the Carrarators to determine the best way to host their animation and link to it in the WIP and Entry threads.  Same basic rules still apply.  Provide a WIP post explaining your muse, how you used Carrara in your animation workflow, must be new to this challenge period, etc.

Here are the challenge categories for this month. 

Best Artist Participation (cumulative among all of an artist's entries): $50 towards DAZ 3D owned item(s)         
    Best Photorealistic Render (still image, yes, postwork is allowed): $50 towards DAZ 3D owned item(s)
    Best Non-photorealistic or Stylized Render (still image, yes, postwork is allowed): $50 towards DAZ 3D owned item(s)
    ** Best Carrara Animation ** : $45 towards DAZ 3D owned item(s)  -- (this replaces Best Demonstration of Theme just for this month because of unique self-selected muses)

So let it be written.  So let it be done. (Yeah, I know, a Pharoah, not a Procnsul)

I am geting a login username / password error over at Carrarators.  Could someone please spread the word there?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

mmmm there might be singing if I enter a video ....surprise

Sing to me, muse!

th3Digit said:

mmmm there might be singing if I enter a video ....surprise

edited July 2017

Unsmiley face.  sad  Original link not available in my country.

Solved!!! - link to La Plage de Saint Tropez.  Did manage to find another uplink that was accessible.  yes

gg01 not available.JPG
    1136 x 741 - 61K

animations!

the tubes lets yoo make a link non-public.  needs a direct link to find it.  never tried it though

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    Diomede said:

Hear ye!  Hear, Ye!

There will be a separate category for animations in this month's Carrara Challenge.  There has been a category for "Best Demonstration of the Theme," but this month's theme involves people picking and demonstrating their own muse.  Therefore, the ProConsul for Life (or until August 18th, whichever comes first) declares that the Best Demonstration of Theme Category will be temporarily replaced with Best Carrara Animation.

Well, there was nothing permanent about the Best Demonstration of Theme category.  It is the easiest one to play with, and I applaud your willingness to experiment.yes

The funny thing is, I thought that I was ready for about anything you would throw at us, as I've recently been spending time in the modeling room (actually love metaballing), and getting further into the NPR renderer.  But animation?  Yikes!

My goal in starting Carrara was to eventually get to animation, and I will hopefully be starting Phil's course sometime this month.  Alas, it will probably be too late to enter anything.

BTW - nice choice for a Challenge theme!

Clarification

No one is required to enter an animation, just as no one is required to enter a photoreal, or to enter an NPR or stylized image. People can still enter any kind of still image that they normally would.  The animation category is merely to try to be open and welcoming to the many Carrara artists at Carrarators and elsewhere who focus on animations.   Speaking of which, I am still having trouble logging in to Carrarators to post a notice on their forum.  Could someone do that for me?

heart

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    Diomede said:

No one is required to enter an animation, just as no one is required to enter a photoreal, or to enter an NPR or stylized image. People can still enter any kind of still image that they normally would.  The animation category is merely to try to be open and welcoming to the many Carrara artists at Carrarators and elsewhere who focus on animations.

Thanks, but no need to clarify.  I simply would like to enter something in every category offered - pretty much the same as you usually do!  It's part of the fun.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037
    Diomede said:

No one is required to enter an animation, just as no one is required to enter a photoreal, or to enter an NPR or stylized image. People can still enter any kind of still image that they normally would.  The animation category is merely to try to be open and welcoming to the many Carrara artists at Carrarators and elsewhere who focus on animations.

Thanks, but no need to clarify.  I simply would like to enter something in every category offered - pretty much the same as you usually do!  It's part of the fun.

an animation could be a gif of a few looped frames