Carrara Challenge #34 - Sing to Me, Muse - WIP Thread

Comments

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988
    edited August 2017

Farewell Aunty Jack

Had to rescue this one from the Tmp Folder after I crashed Carrara!... eeek cool

edited to add straight render

Aunty Jack.jpg
    800 x 600 - 259K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

I've been doing Bosch, so put me down for "Ship Of Fools" ....

love auntie jack and thin arthur Stezza - nice

get it right or they'll rip your blu565dy arms off

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,341
    Stezza said:

Farewell Aunty Jack

Had to rescue this one from the Tmp Folder after I crashed Carrara!... eeek cool

Classic

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,341
    edited July 2017

Apollo - from Greek mythology to First Man on the Moon.

Inspiration for what can be done when people put their minds to it.

https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/apollo/index.html

Apollo setup 1.png
    1921 x 1042 - 739K
    Apollo 1 800.png
    800 x 450 - 263K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    Diomede said:

Clarification

Speaking of which, I am still having trouble logging in to Carrarators to post a notice on their forum.  Could someone do that for me?

Hi Diomede!

I tried to do like if I forgot my password and I still wait the message in my mail box.

You can contact OO7 here: [email protected]

I will try to do something but I'm very busy (and tired).

Thanks for this idea!

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

not an entry but an inspiration

I needed a muse so rendered a video

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited July 2017
    wgdjohn said:

Kewl... a challenge within a Challenge.   I'm going with...

The title words used in the song describe my modeling... let alone my learning of Carrara in it's entirety.

Wgdjohn, I liked Ms. Swift's discussion before singing.  Just because something is fragile and seems like it might not last forever doesn't mean it is not wonderful and worthwhile.  Can't wait to see where you take it.

Stezza said:

@Diomede Mine is a Roman theme as well... go figure!

What I did today was use the new Morpheus morphs to create several Romans posed differently then exported as an OBJ to save on resources..

Used the replicator to get my Roman Choir together and put the conductor out front using his blade as the baton stick thing for conducting.

Inspired by Coldplay's Viva La Vida

I hear Jerusalem bells a-ringing
    Roman cavalry choirs are singing
    Be my mirror, my sword and shield
    My missionaries in a foreign field
    For some reason I can't explain
    Once you'd go there was never
    Never an honest word
    that was when I ruled the world 

​Stezza, great use of morpheus.  You were doing morpheus before morpheus!  Now, some of the rest of us might be able to do some decent caricatures.  At least I hope I can.  I picked up the character pack but haven't had a chance to play with it yet.  I'm not doing a Roman theme; mine was just an example of using a quote from a play instead of music.

head wax said:

hehe, very amusing :)

nice choice of topic

A Song by Denis Leary and some by  King Missile come to mind.

Cows with Guns even.

Headwax, I vote for cows with guns!!!!!!  Extra fake internet points if it is the Millenium Cow 3 with guns.  I should have made the theme Cowrara.  Maybe another time?

Vyusur said:

Diomede, I completely share you musical taste.

Vyusur- I really enjoyed your previous music and dance posts, and this video once I tracked it down.  For some reason, I get a permission error for some youtube videos, but it was easy to track down anothe source for La Plage De Saint Tropez.  yesyesheart

Bunyip02 said:

Dragons - inspirational legendary creatures.

Keep Holding On - by Avril Lavigne. Single from the movie Eragon

Perfect example of sharing our muses.  Dragons inspire so many different kinds of stories.  They can be villains like in Dragonslayer, or partners like in Eragon. 

Stezza said:

Farewell Aunty Jack

Had never heard of Aunty Jack before.  Glad you were able to rescue successfully. 

head wax said:

I've been doing Bosch, so put me down for "Ship Of Fools" ....

love auntie jack and thin arthur Stezza - nice

get it right or they'll rip your blu565dy arms off

Will there be cows with guns on the ship of fools?  Also, a muse need not be the subject of the image, but can be the artistic style. 

DUDU said:
    Diomede said:

Clarification

Speaking of which, I am still having trouble logging in to Carrarators to post a notice on their forum.  Could someone do that for me?

Hi Diomede!

I tried to do like if I forgot my password and I still wait the message in my mail box.

You can contact OO7 here: [email protected]

I will try to do something but I'm very busy (and tired).

Thanks for this idea!

Thanks, Dudu.  I will try to contact 007.  Hope you can find the time, but understand if not.  Not sure there is enough time to include an animation category, but Steve K does them in 48 hours. Worth giving it a try.

th3Digit said:

not an entry but an inspiration

I needed a muse so rendered a video

Hmmm, Wendy, this might be my muse.  heart

Bunyip02 said:

Apollo - from Greek mythology to First Man on the Moon.

Inspiration for what can be done when people put their minds to it.

https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/apollo/index.html

The Apollo and other space programs are very inspirational!  This is aother case in which I got the permission error.  Once again, it was easy to find another source for the Police song, but will have to be on the lookout for sharing the video links. 

Mistara said:

heart

A hint of darkness is always inspirational.  And Phantom has a lot more than just a hint.  yesyes​   Am curious to see if you will have time to enter a vid.  Do you think it is practical to include in the monthly challenges?   Giving it a try this time no matter your answer, but you are someone with an interest in animations.

Diomede said:

No one is required to enter an animation, just as no one is required to enter a photoreal, or to enter an NPR or stylized image. People can still enter any kind of still image that they normally would.  The animation category is merely to try to be open and welcoming to the many Carrara artists at Carrarators and elsewhere who focus on animations.

Thanks, but no need to clarify.  I simply would like to enter something in every category offered - pretty much the same as you usually do!  It's part of the fun.

Clarification was for everyone.  Maybe you will have time to do a short "Jump" if we can track down Mike Moir's animation thread.  Wgdjohn did a very expressive jump animation with simple spheres on his first go.

Speaking of Mike Moir, @mmoir I've sent you a PM.

Post edited by Diomede on
  • VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

Diomede, great! I hope you found not just the music but the same video with the same storyline. Otherwise it makes no sense.

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    edited July 2017

Diomede,  You're compliment makes me blush... thanks very much.  Mike, mmoir, has some great stuff on YouTube... for a realistic Jump example check this one out...

Regarding my TS "Out of the Woods" project I'm putting on my waders... time to plunge into the VM and come up with some objects that resemble trees and forest growth and still look a lot like objects.

Post edited by wgdjohn on
    edited July 2017

Hear Ye, Hear Ye!

Mike Moir (MMoir) is sponsoring this 34th Carrara Challenge

In addition to the Daz sponsored items, an image or animation will be selected to receive an item from Mmoir's Daz products.

https://www.daz3d.com/mmoir

Mike Moir is a long time Daz PA and a leading member of the Carrara community.  Mike Moir started in 3d around 1995 with Raydream Studio 5.   He was doing Architectural Illustrations by hand at that time and decided to make the switch to working on the computer. The options he looked at were Bryce and Raydream Studio and he chose Raydream Studio because it seemed more full featured.  Of course, Raydream Studio became Carrara and he has used Carrara ever since for his Architectural Renderings as well as for fun.  He enjoyed entering Cgtalk challenges in the past and found those challenges to be great learning experiences, sadly they don't seem to have those challenges any longer.  He dosn't remember exactly when he became a Daz PA but it has been a while.  Right now he is more interested in animating than modeling but still enjoys working in 3d. 

His products include landscapes, models, and training videos.  Here is a selection of some of his products.

Here are some sample renders that I did with mystic gorge, BMF winter, and the bedroom.

mmoir1 store 1.JPG
    1550 x 931 - 242K
    mmoir2 store 2.JPG
    1541 x 927 - 214K
    MMoir AutmnSunny Mystic Gorge.jpg
    1600 x 1051 - 259K
    MMoir AutmnSunny Mystic Gorge view 2.jpg
    1600 x 1051 - 420K
    Winter Scene.jpg
    1500 x 1263 - 398K
    GirlsRoomView1LG 2.jpg
    3000 x 1688 - 294K
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

Mike is a top man and has done some wonderful things with Carrara!

Diomede,  We must be running on the same track...  I just opened a new discussion called Animation in Carrara - Let's Animate - Q&A - Come One & All.  Seems I have all but 2 of the links you list and a few more, hope you don't mind if I grab them. :)  I'm hoping to get Carrara Folks interested in learning, discussing and making Animations.

Phil,  Mike is great and very helpful.  I am a dwarve among giants here.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988

I might do a render with this inspiration from Ray Stevens ... 

edited July 2017

Saw your animation thread, Wgjohn.  Should be a great resource well beyond the challenge.  Thanks for starting it. 

Stezza - Ray Stevens is a great choice.  Think he did Would Jesus Wear a Rolex.

The Proconsul for Life (or until August 18, whichever comes first) will only be checking in intermittantly.  I am committed to some writing projects.  However, I can have a render going on my other computer.  As many know, one of my muses is the forest-clad mountain chain running along North America's east coast, especially from the Carolinas to Pennsylvania.  The classic frontiersman was Daniel Boone.

So I did one of my landscapes to eventually put in the backdrop.

Started in Photoshop to create the beginning grayscale map.

Applied some erosion and other filters in Carrara's terrain editor.

Loaded one of my custom trees and used the shader option to control the replicator.  Adjusted the terrain shader.

Put in a background terrain and realistic sky.  Here is a render.

Hill Map 513 b.jpg
    513 x 513 - 22K
    bb01 scene setup for trees and hills.JPG
    1867 x 987 - 279K
    bb02 terrain modeler.JPG
    1654 x 991 - 139K
    bb03 terrain shader to control forest.JPG
    1585 x 837 - 130K
    Terrain forest mountain render.jpg
    1800 x 1350 - 171K
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Great landscape (and documentation) Diomede!

Thanks, UB.  Still some to do, but I think it is a good start on the major mountain and larger tree features.  I still need to replicate some undergrowth and smaller trees in the lower forest.  The plan is to have a small terrain and figure in the foreground, as per one of PhilW's training vids.  Was originally going to put my fur trapper model in there with Daniel Boone morphs, but then I found the following video.  Apparently, "here there be monsters."  LOL.

edited July 2017

well I better upload my latest muse and his little friend who helps inspire

so I can link to them

this is Lynx my Tabbycat and little Lucy his calico companion ( I say his as she will not let me touch her though she will rub against and sit on me)

^6F93616DC5C321491E3833A00737B8363B6DF0FD67D28BA906^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg
    804 x 797 - 241K
    ^8FA69B4285048FAB4410FEF31A78BF55DA5F70A97703468774^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg
    1200 x 896 - 342K
    ^409E784404B2435DC21C8DBC8140BF8CD33A3C1E364FE81783^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg
    1200 x 896 - 289K
    ^AFA127DFECCE3FBC51CBE47A1F886C8605E7745B39B3C86582^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 283K
    ^C72F0ECA2BCEAB6768A7A279CD966FB4ECB8DA878F332A804E^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg
    896 x 1200 - 272K
    ^C965569CFDF807252A515A5F460433012EE0131C3733D7BF42^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg
    676 x 554 - 144K
    ^DD1FA9A8BFEDED0E9884393694BBDC454758CC8A1C8A5F709E^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg
    1200 x 896 - 386K
    ^FA1EA718AE3401F34FF7E3CAA7DEA254BCAE1BEB91A8A5DF57^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg
    678 x 548 - 123K
    ^843547FD18EBC15439A9385E78A42822750AEAC31743B9BDA0^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg
    852 x 550 - 149K
    ^39AB38C9B1BCC7150C150EE443765563659B1D3FA68BE5DB43^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg
    533 x 451 - 54K
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583

Awwww ... Those are some sweet kitties

Sweet! Your calico cat reminds me of our previous cat. We now have a pair of black cats.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    th3Digit said:

well I better upload my latest muse and his little friend who helps inspire

so I can link to them

this is Lynx my Tabbycat and little Lucy his calico companion ( I say his as she will not let me touch her though she will rub against and sit on me)

Nice to see WendyCats with some new mousehounds.

yes I sadly had to euthanise Crystal my 17 yo black kitty a few months ago after she had a seizure and I accepted with her underlying conditions and medications it was only the start of more suffering.

Lynx missed her even though she only ever growled at him so a couple of months ago I adopted Lucy.

edited July 2017

I tried some Zbrush hair on my kitty

I shall be going back to Carrara hair!

pubelikehair.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 184K

I'd be ashamed to even claim that is hair.

edited July 2017

the Carrara one I have so far

c-hair.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 111K
    mycatz.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 106K
    edited July 2017

I scrapped the HW3D cat in preference to both MilCats

mix of Lynes and Daz textures layered in Gimp on Lynx

360 of my bedroom in BG

first 3 Carrara renders last Octane4Carrara

Doc6.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 213K
    Doc7.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 332K
    Doc8.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 307K
    cats0007.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
    edited July 2017

well at best inspired by not copies of my kitties
    I used HollyWetCircuit's alifur as a base

started rendering frames for one my animation scenes

Beautiful work - particularly like the middle one with both cats!

edited July 2017

Gamma 2.2 question.  How do you align the lighting if you insert a render in the background and then use lighting gamma 2.2?  The background gets washed out.  I tried to put an updated version of the previous render in the backdrop with a small terrain and foreground tree.  Here are two renders, one with gama correction 2.2 and one without.  I like the foreground tree and terrain with gamma 2.2 but not the render in the backdrop.  I'm sure it is covered in one of PhilW's videos but I don't remember.  Could always try to address in a composite, but I suspect there is a simpler way.

Here is gamma 2.2 and I like the tree and foreground but backdrop is washed out.

Here no gamma 2.2, backdrop render looks fine but the foreground tree and terrain are too dark and no detail.

Could try to composite

Landscape Muse July 2017 f gamma 22 with tree.png
    1600 x 1200 - 2M
    Landscape Muse July 2017 g no gamma with tree.png
    1600 x 1200 - 2M
    Landscape Muse July 2017 f gamma 22 with tree_Depth.png
    1600 x 1200 - 356K

Yes, compositing would clearly work, otherwise you could use Photoshop's Exposure control to darken it with a gamma of 2.2 (or 0.4545, I can never remember which way Photoshop's gamma control works) and use that in the background.