Carrara Challenge #34 - Sing to Me, Muse - WIP Thread

Comments

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,989

it's been around 15C during the day here... friggin freezin' feels like snow wink

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

ha ha , yep I went for a walk on the beach, miscalculated badlly, should have taken the board

there were small waves and only one guy out -

he was kinda blue though

edited August 2017

A little bit more work on a paraphrase to The Handmaiden's ( Las Meninas) a 1656 painting  by Diego Velázquez, the leading artist of the Spanish Golden Age.

the-handmaidensp.jpg
    2952 x 1470 - 3M
    Post edited by Headwax on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,341
    Stezza said:
    Diomede said:

@Stezza - remember, you can enter as many times as you wish.  These daily muses are wonderful.

Thanks @diomede ..

Today's  Muse

Snow 

yes

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,341
    head wax said:

A little bit more work on a paraphrase to The Handmaiden's ( Las Meninas) a 1656 painting  by Diego Velázquez, the leading artist of the Spanish Golden Age.

yes

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235
    edited August 2017

Inspired by Diego Velázquez

Mod edit :-Removed for nudity reasons.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited August 2017

These are exceptional, Stezza, Headwax, and Vyusur!  Really stunning.

Here are the base renders and the final composite for my Pennsylvania frontier fur trapper entry.

Landscape Muse July 2017 h no gamma with tree.png
    1600 x 1200 - 2M
    Landscape Muse July 2017 f gamma 22 with tree.png
    1600 x 1200 - 2M
    Trapper PA 1.png
    1600 x 1200 - 56K
    Trapper PA 1_MaterialDiffuse.png
    1600 x 1200 - 42K
    Muse Landscape PA Fur Trapper Entry.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 150K
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited August 2017

The Muse - Mary Stallings is a national treasure.  She recorded this fourteen years ago at age 64.  Still going strong.

Click to view "Old Devil Moon."

The render.

There are really three muses at work here.  Besides Mary, there is the Carrara NPR render engine (which I can't resist trying to understand) and also the old masters who did the cover art on pulp novels and magazines.

First render - the final setup in Carrara

Second render - this is the scene rendered with DEFAULT NPR settings.  So don't be discouraged if your renders look like this at first!

Third render - this is the scene with optimized NPR settings, and zero postwork.  If there was a requirement for no postwork this month, I would enter this.

Forth render - the above scene reworked in Photoshop.  No special effect filters, just brushes.

I'd like to thank Diomede for sharing his work in figuring out the NPR engine (yes Ted, the secret is in changing the mesh!), and Headwax for getting me into Photoshop after all these years (layers are incredible!).  I inserted a small tribute to them into the render.

Sorry I haven't participated much this time.  It is an awesome theme, but this month I got obsessed with learning PSE and the NPR engine. 

Models are the usual suspects - V3, M3, and a Carrara moon and car.  Yseabeau hair.  The city is a severely smoothed Dytopian city block, and the fire plug is a free .obj from rendo.  The "black blob" is a metaball object.

ODM setup_smaller.png
    1609 x 843 - 744K
    ODM default NPR setting_smaller.png
    1000 x 1444 - 1M
    ODM original Carrara NPR render_smaller.png
    1000 x 1444 - 1020K
    ODM PSE version_smaller.png
    1000 x 1444 - 2M
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on

Third render - this is the scene with optimized NPR settings, and zero postwork.  If there was a requirement for no postwork this month, I would enter this.

Forth render - the above scene reworked in Photoshop.  No special effect filters, just brushes.

Fantastic!  That optimized NPR render is incredible.  The change in the nose in particular from the unoptimized to the optimized is a major success.  yesyes​   Really happy to see you use the NPR render engine in this way.  We get to see the straight render in the WIP thread, so also happy to see how you chose to address it in postwork as well. 

thanks again @Diomede .. looking good, maybe get the fella a bit closer in.. I can't tell what he is holding up surprise

Looks like I missed seeing @Vyusur 's image  frown

stunning poster UB ... great job smiley

Good point, Stezza.  Should take another look at scale, and I think also dimensions.  Maybe a widershot as well.

Meanwhile, here are some toon spaceships in an attempt at an animation WIP.  Recall my Buck Rogers muse.  Was experimenting with using metaballs for the exhaust in a toon setting.  Hope there are more animation entries.  Fingers crossed.

Same scene animation, regular render, not toon

Nothing like a good ol' space chase yes

Today's Muse

Johnathon - The End

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited August 2017

tried adding 2 more moons  lol.  rotating 1 rotates the other.

i put a pink cloud by yuna's feet,  not showing up, too small mebbe

cap.PNG
    1542 x 589 - 496K
    chg34.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Post edited by Mistara on
  • VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235
    edited August 2017

Inspired by Diego Velázquez

Edited, added some extra geometry.

DragonQueen_mirror01.jpg
    1500 x 1060 - 2M
    2017-08-08_1122.jpg
    1103 x 964 - 251K
    Post edited by Vyusur on
    Mistara said:

is there a way to exclude something from the render settings idl ambient occlusion?

like transmapped hair?

or leaves?

Mistara, I don't have much experience with GI and Inirect Lighting and all, but I feel confident we can come up with a render pass (or passes) that can be combined in post to create a matte...I'm having a little trouble visualizing what you need...

was thinking of the AoA's advanced ambient light, flag surfaces not to include.  

Diomede said:

​@namtar3d - can really see Liv shining through.  Good choices and beautiful image.

@Stezza - remember, you can enter as many times as you wish.  These daily muses are wonderful.

@Mistara - mnemonics! - https://www.universetoday.com/33136/tricks-to-remember-the-planets/

Important dates - Entry Thread Closes August 11th

- WIP thread opens - July 6th, 2017, 3pm, Eastern Standard Time, US.

- Entry thread opens - July 30th, 2017, Midnight, Eastern Standard Time, US.

- Entry thread closes, votng begins - August 11th, 2017, Midnight, Eastern Standard Time, US.

- Voting thread closes, winners announced, - August 18th, 2017, Midnight, Eastern Standard Time, US.

not monics, but pretty smiley

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/communities/space-weather-enthusiasts

edited August 2017
    Diomede said:

Fantastic!  That optimized NPR render is incredible.  The change in the nose in particular from the unoptimized to the optimized is a major success.  yesyes​   Really happy to see you use the NPR render engine in this way.  We get to see the straight render in the WIP thread, so also happy to see how you chose to address it in postwork as well. 

Thanks Diomede!  I spent three solid weeks on a single NPR render, and utterly failed to get what I wanted.  But I used that knowledge to start again, and the results were much better.  Slowly taming the NPR beastie.

Stezza said:

stunning poster UB ... great job smiley

Thank you Stezza.  With you and HW posting, I spend most of my time here learning what can be done.  Very inspiring.

One small quibble.  It's not a poster, but a paperback book cover.

Now, here is a poster.smiley

ODM poster.png
    1000 x 1444 - 272K
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
    Diomede said:

Same scene animation, regular render, not toon

Neat scene.  Maybe I can get on the stick and contribute something in the next Challenge, if animations are still a category.

Today's Muse

Fly Little Sparrow

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

Amazing stuff going on!!!

I have to catch up on these posts - tomorrow, hopefully.

Well, this NEVER happens to me. Well I guess I can no longer say that. :(   Carrara crashed on me as I was saving a render, just before saving the project for the first time. Argh!

Not gonna blame Carrara. This laptop (Win 10, which I'm still not a fan of compared to my beloved 7) acts funky fairly often. Windows doing what it wants over and above what I want to do. Oh well.

Anyway, yeah... I finally found some time to play, settle on a muse and an idea to go with it, and had a worthy beginning to a (not to win or anything) fun entry - and it won't take long to put it back together to where I had it before the crash. I often wonder if there's a way to get something back from those TEMP files, but i doubt it. Probably just Undo cache, etc.,

I was going to work on this tomorrow, and still want to, but forces are trying to take that away from me... we'll see. I'm also hoping to catch the PaintShop Pro webinar tomorrow - but those same forces are trying to drag me away from that as well. Dang.

Anyway, I saw some really cool glimpses on my way to the bottom of page 8 of this thread in order to post this, I see there are two more pages too. I'll get back to reading and enjoying the view of those posts tomorrow, no matter what those darned forces do to me! LOL   Very cool stuff, my friends, Very Freaking Cool!!! ;)

(Still haven't seen the Entry thread!)

Stezza said:

I used some of my prize I won and just picked up over at HW3D for the Audobon Challenge... the Cactusses or is it cactii or is it something else......

You won Ken's contest? Very cool! Ken and I have been pals for quite some time. I'm a huge fan of the quality and completeness of his incredible products. I forgot that I was thinking of trying to enter that one too. But all this stuff got dumped on my lap and now... well... oh well! LOL

edited August 2017

thanks Bunyip et Diomede.

UnifiedBrain - I must say that is one terrific piece.

Here's DogWoman - after the Portuguese-born painter  Paula Rego's series.

Neat interview with her here. http://www.thewhitereview.org/interviews/interview-with-paula-rego/

warning adult concepts in her interview

attached is a screenshot of the whole Carrara scene

dogwaoman.jpg
    5090 x 2583 - 6M
    Untitled-1.jpg
    2249 x 1379 - 2M
    Post edited by Headwax on

Hear Ye, Hear Ye

Entry Thread extended until midnight, August 12th, Daz Utah time.

My travel plans have changed, so the 11th could be problematic. For you Americans, will spending a great deal of time on I-95.

edited August 2017
    Mistara said:

wip #2

stuck again.  doh.  the mane foreloch forehead hair is under the horn.

Sam a lil cozier on Yuni

I have a couple of ways I correct for this:

Actually manipulate the mesh in Model mode - select Model and go into edit and move around the mesh to my liking

or

Since forelock is transmapped, I might just redo the textures to suit my needs. When I do this, I don't just change the transmap, but also the color and bump and spec maps as well - whichever are being used - so that they all match correctly.

Both ways work great.

The first method was my initial reason for buying Carrara in the first place. My characters were always made to some shape that was just difficult to make clothing and/or hair work properly - especially for animations - in Poser. I wasn't savvy in creating content then - getting all of the appropriate files together and putting them where they need to be. Besides, all I wanted was to be able to manipulate mesh that was already there.

When I finally did get Carrara, I was so amazed at how fun and easy it is to 'fix' issues like this. I still do it all the time!

EDIT:

Looking great, by the way!

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    Mistara said:

is there a way to exclude something from the render settings idl ambient occlusion?

like transmapped hair?

or leaves?

Yup. Make them invisible! LOL

Wow! Diomede! Freaking cool!

Utterly out of this world!

Stezza said:

ok.. hands up those who then watched the pilot episode on YouTube ... 

I started to... never finished it though.

Geeze, Stezza! Busy much?

Very cool stuff!

th3Digit said:

succulents 

I love the sound of that word!!

LOL!!!

Mistara said:

hard to render rainbows and unicorns without rainbows.

mebbe a color gradient with the rgb values of roygbiv  

I've never tried this, but I wonder if it would work to do a spherical render of the lder original sky with the rainbow, and use that as a background using the realistic sky as the atmosphere? Hmmm... must test sometime.