Underrepresented WWII Uniforms?

Comments

• frankrblowfrankrblow Posts: 2,052

There's a new WWII "Red Army Officer" uniform by Cybertenko at Renderosity, for M4. Not sure if it will work in studio, but it has obj and texture files, so should be okay.

•  

And finally, as I've once stated before, if the established PA's are just too concerned about stepping out for any risk at all (which in itself is a big danger to the health of this store,) then perhaps someone new to the store who has yet to establish them self could take this opportunity to impress buyers and create a budding fanbase for them. Think about Deepsea. Who in their right mind would have predicted that an old fat man would become a phenomenon in the Daz Store? Did you predict George's breakout success? Customers were asking for more varied men characters, but most people and PAs quite bluntly said "No, men do not sell, stop asking for them." Then along came George and he blew that whole argument to pieces. Then you started seeing more mature male Daz Originals. And low and behold, Michael 8 came out faster than any previous Michael. Hmm, funny how that works. Sometimes you just do not know how the store will respond until you actually create the product.

Making anything, no matter how mainstream it may seem to be, is a risk; ask BadkittehCo, who's had several flops this year and she's a well establlished vendor. PAs that depend on consistent sales to pay their bills on time can't afford too many items that don't sell well. New PAs can afford to do this, especially if they have another source of income to take up the slack for the products that flop.

Perhaps the mainstream products flopped because the store has enough already...IMO that only make my argument even stronger! That tells me it is a good idea to diversify your content and maybe step outside of your comfort zone once in a while and create something this store hasn't seen in a while. Hey, it might work, it might not...but your mainstream content could flop, too, so why not give it a shot? Looks like Deepsea is doing OK with George, who got a G8 version receny.

When I say mainstream, I mean the sort of stuff that folks on the forum say they've been wanting.

And hey, what do you know, we get to test our ideas right here and right now with these brand new WW2 releases today. Looks like somebody saw these threads and decided to take that chance.

https://www.daz3d.com/world-war-ii-u-s-uniform-hd-for-genesis-8-male-s

https://www.daz3d.com/world-war-ii-u-s-uniform-hd-textures

https://www.daz3d.com/battleground

Perhaps these will sell and we'll get to see some more factions represented. I wonder if a Vietnam theme is coming with Ken Burns documentary being the talk of the day.

We'll see.

• Pack58Pack58 Posts: 750
    edited September 2017

OK, I love that it's available even if I seldom illustrate US forces, will buy both base and textures to show support for reasonable historical products but I'm going to be that guy: why does what appears to be a Parsons jacket have breast pockets?

Poor bloody PAs, who'd be one, you just  can't  satisfy some folk. Nit picking ingrate that I am.

Big ups to Luthbel, please, please, more like this for me to moan over/about.

Anyway , maybe time for some late war Free French renders.

Post edited by Pack58 on
  • I agree with Boingo were are the other uniforms from ww2 there was more than USA and German least we foreget. plenty of other countries were there on both sides fighting and dieing it is not nice what happened but it is world history no matter how much you dont want it to be and we should never forget it or all the people that died over it would be disrespectful IMOA

• SigurdSigurd Posts: 1,085

These are great!

Would also like to see WWII/Korean War Paratrooper pants and boots.

I'm sorry to be picky but am working on some art for a former paratrooper and he is a stickler for details.

• Sigurd said:

These are great!

Would also like to see WWII/Korean War Paratrooper pants and boots.

I'm sorry to be picky but am working on some art for a former paratrooper and he is a stickler for details.

WW2 paratroopers please!!!!

• SnowPheonixSnowPheonix Posts: 896
    edited October 2017
    Chohole said:

Nazi Uniforms are frowned on or even forbidden is some countries in Europe.

No doubt ... even wearing them in the United States at any time other than when you are playing in "The Sound of Music" it's frowned on but that shouldn't stifle art or the free expression of it.  Too much political correctness is bad for business.  How else are we going to have realistic HISTORIC enemies?  Do we rewrite history or can we have a "DAZ After Hours" page where you have to be over 18 and willing to accept "Adult" content?

Post edited by SnowPheonix on
  • Not just cheap one diminsional clothing but hopefully one of you tried and true professionals will take up the challange of making realistic enemy combatant uniforms as good as the recent WW2 outfit which desperately needs an expansion pack to add names and different ranks and unit I.D.  not everybody is a sargent in the Big Red One but we are off to a good start.  Too bad they don't have anybody to fight against... Too bad none of the other allieds got a nod.. I mean no Brits, or French resistance... No Russians.. :( 

Hopefully "Uncle Sam" can just be one of the options in a new top end suit that also makes our Gen 8 wedding photos.

With the hat... can we just have the hair attached to them already...  It would be great to create a new "Uncle" at different ages instead of just white hair...

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Threads merged as they are about similar issues.

• Chohole said:

Just a reminder... thanks for all you do. #respect  We may not agree on much but I have to admire your patience.   Now go get me some Genesis 8 Nazi Uniforms for the battle...

• I would also  like to see some WW1 uniforms.

• I just mailed Luthbel the creator of 'World War II U.S. Uniform HD for Genesis 8 Male' (https://www.daz3d.com/world-war-ii-u-s-uniform-hd-for-genesis-8-male-s) and he said that this pack was one of the worst seller and he does not have interest on making a new pack for German, British, Russian, ect.

Tannenbaum's models would be my second option, but is not working on Genesis 8 models because it is a Poser 7 model.. seems like i'll have to hire someone to make that for my game.

Would be pretty cool if someone fill that gap on this niche, starting with a proper German Infantry uniform for Genesis 3 and Genesis 8

• sjaammonssjaammons Posts: 185

I just mailed Luthbel the creator of 'World War II U.S. Uniform HD for Genesis 8 Male' (https://www.daz3d.com/world-war-ii-u-s-uniform-hd-for-genesis-8-male-s) and he said that this pack was one of the worst seller and he does not have interest on making a new pack for German, British, Russian, ect.

Tannenbaum's models would be my second option, but is not working on Genesis 8 models because it is a Poser 7 model.. seems like i'll have to hire someone to make that for my game.

Would be pretty cool if someone fill that gap on this niche, starting with a proper German Infantry uniform for Genesis 3 and Genesis 8

Reviving this thread. Damn I'm sad to see that the creator of that fantastic wardrobe set isn't filling that WWII Daz niche. But I understand. Was really hoping to find some US or German pilot outfits to go with those awesome WWII plane models that came out a bit ago.

Frustrates me to see this niche of Daz's being so unfilled when people are making the 100th swimsuit outfit or fantasy armor.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,721

This is the main reason users learn to make things for themselves

sjaammons said:

I just mailed Luthbel the creator of 'World War II U.S. Uniform HD for Genesis 8 Male' (https://www.daz3d.com/world-war-ii-u-s-uniform-hd-for-genesis-8-male-s) and he said that this pack was one of the worst seller and he does not have interest on making a new pack for German, British, Russian, ect.

Reviving this thread. Damn I'm sad to see that the creator of that fantastic wardrobe set isn't filling that WWII Daz niche. But I understand. Was really hoping to find some US or German pilot outfits to go with those awesome WWII plane models that came out a bit ago.

Frustrates me to see this niche of Daz's being so unfilled when people are making the 100th swimsuit outfit or fantasy armor.

edited August 2019

This is the main reason users learn to make things for themselves

sjaammons said:

If only I had the time and technical know-how. Kind of frustrates me to see the general feeling of 'nobody gives a crap about history or period-set products' even here on Daz...

Post edited by sjaammons on
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 11,387
    sjaammons said:
    Kind of frustrates me to see the general feeling of 'nobody gives a crap about history or period-set products' even here on Daz...

It's not that "nobody gives a crap about history", the problem is that historical products more often than not don't sell enough to recoup the time the vendor invested making them.

Vendors have bills to pay too, and they can't afford to keep making products they know won't sell enough. Your only chance to have more items identified as low-sellers created is to commision them or to find a vendor who doesn't depend on that income and is interesed in that kind of items.

Leana said:
    sjaammons said:
    Kind of frustrates me to see the general feeling of 'nobody gives a crap about history or period-set products' even here on Daz...

It's not that "nobody gives a crap about history", the problem is that historical products more often than not don't sell enough to recoup the time the vendor invested making them.

Vendors have bills to pay too, and they can't afford to keep making products they know won't sell enough. Your only chance to have more items identified as low-sellers created is to commision them or to find a vendor who doesn't depend on that income and is interesed in that kind of items.

well I meant 'nobody (consumers) give give a crap about historical products to make them worthwhile to vendors,' but your point still stands, I may need to look into commissioning.

• chris-2599934chris-2599934 Posts: 1,798
    edited August 2019

Tannenbaum's models would be my second option, but is not working on Genesis 8 models because it is a Poser 7 model.

Really? Here's a render I put together for a similar thread last year. Tannenbaum's SS uniform on a G8M in Iray. I just threw this together - if I'd spent more time fine-tuning it with iray shaders (on the metal parts, for example) it would look better. But it definitely "works" on G8.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited August 2019

Tannenbaum's models would be my second option, but is not working on Genesis 8 models because it is a Poser 7 model.

Really? Here's a render I put together for a similar thread last year. Tannenbaum's SS uniform on a G8M in Iray. I just threw this together - if I'd spent more time fine-tuning it with iray shaders (on the metal parts, for example) it would look better. But it definitely "works" on G8.

if you don't mind me asking, what did you do for the installing phase? for whatever reason Tannenbaum's stuff never installs correctly like the other Rendo stuff I get (you know I unzip it, put it in my Daz library, but they don't appear. I usually need to import it directly from the folders to get them to show up.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • andreretogasserandreretogasser Posts: 256
    edited August 2019

This request has been repeated so many times in the years that I'm here - I do not believe in a change anymore!

Stagnation means regression!

Post edited by andreretogasser on

This request has been repeated so many times in the years that I'm here - I do not believe in a change anymore!

Stagnation means regression!

We really need a new blockbuster World War II movie to spark interest again. I'm really hoping this upcoming Crime Thriller 'Killers of the Flower Moon' at least sparks interest in making 20s-30s noir products. A guy can dream...

• andreretogasserandreretogasser Posts: 256
    edited August 2019

I'm afraid that is a vicious circle! From my point of view as a buyer I will definitely NOT buy a US World War II uniform, (tank, plane etc. the same) as long as I have no counterpart. If Nazis scare, there would still be the Japanese or Italian .....

Post edited by andreretogasser on
  • SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    sjaammons said:
    if you don't mind me asking, what did you do for the installing phase? for whatever reason Tannenbaum's stuff never installs correctly like the other Rendo stuff I get (you know I unzip it, put it in my Daz library, but they don't appear. I usually need to import it directly from the folders to get them to show up.

Do you look at the .zip contents between unzipping and putting it in your content folder? Sometimes for non-DAZ content, you must do this to confirm which folders in the .zip should be copied inside which folders in your installed content folder.

Also, "don't appear" where? Are you looking in the Content Library or Smart Content? Poser Formats or Products views? Keep in mind that this is a Poser-format item not sold by DAZ, so it does not have the DAZ metadata; it will never appear anywhere except in subfolders of the Figures, Props and Poses libraries of the Poser Formats section of the Content Library pane. They can be made to appear as Smart Content, or as a Product, but that's something you have to do manually.

• chris-2599934chris-2599934 Posts: 1,798
    sjaammons said:

I don't mind at all, but I bought it a couple of years ago and don't remember having to do anything special (which isn't to say that I didn't, but I've installed a lot of content over the years).

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,112

I want some Nazi outfits for Genesis 8 to make some good villains for my renders.  Historically they are one of the top villains I can think of and I want stuff to make Nazi villains for my heroes to fight (or try to deal with)

Maybe Think Captain America version of Nazi but historically accurate Nazi stuff would be great.

Part of me wants my heroes to go to a special camp which is like the real camps except for supes, aliens, and anything or anyone considered not human (in fantasy or sci-fi way)

• Maybe Think Captain America version of Nazi but historically accurate Nazi stuff would be great.

I fear your wish might hit the wall of political correctness.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,112

Maybe Think Captain America version of Nazi but historically accurate Nazi stuff would be great.

I fear your wish might hit the wall of political correctness.

Bummer!  I am not saying that Nazi are good but they make great villains.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    Chohole said:

• Bummer!  I am not saying that Nazi are good but they make great villains.

I did catch what you meant! Does not change the fact that certain things are obviously not to be expected on this platform. I would already be satisfied with Japanese or Italians as an alternative.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305

Most Europeans don't have fond memories of or romantic notions about the 2nd World War, and they've mostly moved on.  The French are prouder of their fighters who didn't wear uniforms, the Résistance, than of those who did, many of whom were collaborators.  The British are proud enough of their part in the war, but the burden was born both by those in and out of uniform, and the post-war was a rough time.  The Russians lost 20 million during the Great Patriotic War.  The Italians would just as soon forget the whole thing ever happened.  The only ones to have mythologized it are the Americans.  That's why they make the toys and the others don't.