Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 4

Comments

• TapiocaTundraTapiocaTundra Posts: 268
    edited December 1969

@ dan whiteside
    That first plant looks pretty clunky even though it has over 146000 polys although is that some fine stuff I see near the tops of it ? Strikes me that both seem very high for what is visible here, I am working with plants at the moment too, Sculptris and Autodesk Meshmixer will also help with the poly reduction. Meshlab takes me time to get to grips with for every different model, sometimes it seems to freeze on my old machine depending on the job, but I have discovered that by going into the kitchen and preparing a meal, when I come back it has completed the task :) what are the plants for Dan and any chance of having a look at the Arbaro xml file I would be very interested.

@ Jamahoney I will soon be working on exactly your problem, sort of looking forward to those fractals, sounds like a fun challenge checking out those big meshes with my little processor and small amount of memory :)

• Dan WhitesideDan Whiteside Posts: 499
    edited December 1969

Tapioca - that was indeed operator error, I forgot to click off the leaf "flowers" during export. It was just an object that was about the right size for experimentation. The grass part is only 1400 polys originally and that part went down to 700.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited April 2013

The latest variation of my latest scene.

Minor tweaks and major cropping.

StoneySeaGateALT2.jpg
    750 x 975 - 519K
    Post edited by Dave Savage on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,529
    edited December 1969

Looks very dramatic. The place got sinister, small wonder the ship leaves.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

I'm torn between Dwsel's fascinating challenge and something Pam's question has got me thinking about. Not enough hours in the day. So, on balance, it seems to me that there are more technically capable Brycers than there are Brycers with a background in art. Flicking through the galleries (on other sites) - oh yes... I been forgetting to nag.

Gallery,

Gallery,

Gallery.

Nagging done. As I was saying, flicking through the galleries On Other Sites. Other sites, with galleries. A bit like this site used to have. Before the Zombie Apocalypse - or whatever it was that struck them down. BTW, Bryce gamers, Day Z is better than life - well it's better than my life anyway - in Day Z I found a working pushbike! Just thought I would mention that.

Anyway... what was I saying? Oh galleries... artworks. Yes, seems to me, and I'm prepared to be corrected. A lot of Brycers need to get a bit of basic artwork theory under their belts. So I've decided to address that issue, then maybe, everyone can produce such wonderfully composed scenes as clever Mr Dave or http://michaelf77.deviantart.com/ - to name but two very skilled scene composers and who in no way would benefit from watching my simple videos.

Here's part 1.

Bryce Basics - Composition part 1: How big is that thing? - by David Brinnen

• MrSilusMrSilus Posts: 71
    edited December 1969

Has anyone seen the new fluid simulations videos that are the results of a paper to be shown @ SIGGRAPH 2013 ?

They are truly impressive. Here are the links and I'm sure you'll recognize some of the models used :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=mgYztcjOvRQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=F5KuP6qEuew

The ocean simulation is just jaw dropping. It would be awesome to see these sort of simulations as a feature in Bryce, where we would set it up and then just choose a specific frame of the animation to render the effect in our scene.

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited April 2013

David...you should have mentioned the 'Galleries'...heheeee ;)

MrSilus...those simulations are simply incredible. I doubt Bryce would be capable of producing wave-like works (correct me if I’m wrong), but I do know you can produce ripple-like animations (see David Watson’s intro-tut). Such works are doable in Blender (check out Megacal’s work in Bryce5.com). Did a water animation (YouTube) sometime back using all Bryce, however, the water effects are tame in comparison to the above. And really, it was a project trying to relate earth/water sounds to lunar terrain.

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
    edited December 1969
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

David I think you may have forgotten to mention GALLERIES. :coolsmirk:

• MrSilusMrSilus Posts: 71
    edited April 2013

Jamahoney said:
    MrSilus...those simulations are simply incredible. I doubt Bryce would be capable of producing wave-like works (correct me if I’m wrong), but I do know you can produce ripple-like animations (see David Watson’s intro-tut). Such works are doable in Blender (check out Megacal’s work in Bryce5.com). Did a water animation (YouTube) sometime back using all Bryce, however, the water effects are tame in comparison to the above. And really, it was a project trying to relate earth/water sounds to lunar terrain.

Jay

Bryce could if it used a physics API such as the one used for the simulations seen in the videos. It's one of those that is used @ Pixar, DreamWorks animation, etc, to create the hair, fire, water simulations we eventually see in their movies.

The theory behind it would be that we setup a scene where several objects are placed, such as rocks and terrains which would interact with a new "fluid object" which would be simulated by the physics API. When running the simulation with default object characteristics (in effect an animation of the fluid object) it would interact with all the other objects (just like we see in the videos) and we would be able to select a specific frame of that animation to render with the final textures.

It was just a thought anyway, although it would definitely propel Bryce to higher grounds as it would no longer just be "another" raytracer on the block, with this kind of feature :)

Post edited by MrSilus on
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    David I think you may have forgotten to mention GALLERIES. :coolsmirk:

Yes that's happened, as has going shopping in my slippers - clearly I'm drifting into my dotage...

Bryce Basics - Composition part 3: Is that thing big? - by David Brinnen

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,379
    edited December 1969

TLBKlaus said:
    @Savage... those are really cool, love the atmosphere.

Here's a new abstract, and as an informational aid I've included the
    wireframe to illustrate just how simple these setups can be. This
    was a square tube inside a cube and one light... the exterior cube was
    shadowless to let in the sky colors. As always, some contrast/saturation
    work in post.

This had the MRD set to 18 and a FOV of 150, with the camera right
    in front of the tube. This wireframe pic is pulled back so you can see
    the whole thing.

TLBKlaus -Thanks for the screenshot of the wireframe, unfortunately I don’t think I got it right. I think it’s one big cube and two smaller ones, one positive and the other negative and both rotated to make the tube. After playing with the setup the whole weekend, I liked this one, and ended up using my fav material from the Pro materials presets. I did have a lot of fun trying to work out what you did here. Thanks for sharing and encouraging me to experiment and learn.

The second render is one of David’s tutorials :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEWvtqHguGM

Dave – I really like the last result, very serene.

David – Thanks for the new tutorials, maybe after seeing them I may come up with a good landscape.

skylighting.jpg
    600 x 600 - 25K
    abstract-klaus.jpg
    960 x 720 - 157K
    edited December 1969

Both turned out well mermaid010, but it is particularly good that you are happy to use the rather tricky advanced lighting approaches, that knowledge will serve you well if you decide to tackle this. Bryce Basics - Composition part 4: Is that thing really big? - by David Brinnen

• SylverdaliSylverdali Posts: 198
    edited December 1969

"Harmony" I know it looks simple but there is a lot going on here

Harmony_1.jpg
    874 x 1024 - 861K
    edited April 2013

"Natures Tears" this one was the first of the 2 images .... cracks photoshop

Natures_Tears.jpg
    1125 x 1260 - 778K
    Post edited by Sylverdali on
    edited December 1969

The latest variation of my latest scene.

Minor tweaks and major cropping.

very beautiful
    edited December 1969

dwsel_ said:
    A simple design with a checkerboard cut gem.
    Modelled in Anim8or, rendered in Bryce.
    stunning render
    edited December 1969

TLBKlaus said:
    @Jamahoney Now I really want Mandelbub lol, those are awesome!

@kernya Those rays do indeed look great...

Here are two new ones, a more-traditional Simplicity entry made with just 3 spheres and
    no lights, and a Nexus one as well.

For our previous discussion @Guss and @Miss B, these were both made without interior
    lighting at all, just shadowless mirrored shells and an MRD of 12. The colors in the Simplicity
    one come from the sky, enhanced in post.

Oh, and here's a tip for the Nexus ones... since the "real" structure at the heart of the nexus tends
    to look a little different than the reflections do, thus making the "seams" evident in may cases, you
    can combat that by moving the camera until it faces the wall of the outer cube so that all you're seeing
    are the reflections, not any of the actual structure directly -- which is what I did in this one. It makes it
    all blend together better sometimes.

wow the first one is outstanding and the second love the perspective great renders to
    edited December 1969

TLBKlaus said:
    That last looks very interesting David, I need to get to your tuts on putting renders into pictures...
    I have a gorgeous shot from the British Virgin Islands that needs an Aikobot strolling along the
    sand. :D

Here's a new Exology abstract, done by importing an object made in Cinema 4D which was then replicated
    and rendered in Bryce... MRD at 12 and inside a shadowless mirrored sphere. Also some contrast/fog postwork.

outstanding
    edited December 1969

@mermaid010 - nice, the fisrst one looks a bit like a toon abstract, charming.

@silverdali - Harmony is awesome, idea, composition and lighting. Natures Tears is a excellent as well.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,379
    edited December 1969

Thanks David and Horo. I'll be spending the rest of the day watching the new videos you posted.

Silver - both your renders are awesome

edited December 1969

Progressing with "spoofing" a properly centred reflection in the Aslan Court

Aslant_Court_3.jpg
    1198 x 675 - 478K
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited April 2013

Love the first one, Mermaid....wonderful combination of colours that work (sometimes too many colours, for my eye, confuses).

Good to see you're still around in the Bryce community, Silverdali. As always, wonderful works...and very creative, which is what I would expect from you anyway.

Chohole as is, looks great. Would love to explore this area...an animation even better.

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
    edited December 1969

@Pam - looking good. Hopefully, I'll find the time to play with it as well.

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Pam: That image is looking better each time. Are you planning to leave the surrounding area as dark as in that image?

edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @Pam: That image is looking better each time. Are you planning to leave the surrounding area as dark as in that image?

Yes probably, because if I do get the Image I have in mind worked out the incoming Mage Storm would strike at the centre of the Compass Rose, as they had used the built in magic guides to build a shield around that area, and an incoming major Mage storm would be generating a lot of light if it was being concentrated into a set area to attempt to dissipate it before it did major damage to everything.

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

Haha...I almost feel I need a dictionary. I think I get the gist of what you're saying. Magic attacks and dissipation of the energy, resulting in an high luminance output. I'm very interested in seeing the finished image.

edited May 2013

Here's a quick render I did today... And a sort of advert(ish). It does contain a bit of useful info too for people wanting to port stuff over from DS.

RTR environments a short advert - by David Brinnen

RTRadd1.jpg
    933 x 700 - 407K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
    edited December 1969

I got Jack Tomalin's Parkside train recently and brought them over into the Bryce Objects Library. The shaders are excellent but huge. Even with LAA, more than two objects cannot be handled. So I spent a day to give them simple procedural materials. Nothing fancy, mostly just colours. While doing this, I also observed that just selecting an object in the library occupies memory that is not released if that object is not loaded. Most of the time spent was restarting Bryce to clear the memory - a strategy I developped after several out of memory crashes.

Though the locomotion, coaches and haulers are not as beautifully rusty as the original ones, I have a new train and I can add many coaches. I could even put the 48 seats into the passenger car and create a long track. The 4 libraries with over 4.6 GB is now one library with 155 MB.

This is my first render, featuring even an HDRI. Rendered with IBL quality 2048 and 25% soft sun shadows. Interestingly enough, it rendered faster in normal than premium mode. Just a bit over 4 hours.

Train07.jpg
    1600 x 600 - 209K
    edited December 1969

Wouldn't it be nice if vendors who sell these wonderful products with lots of Hi res texture maps also included a "clay render" untextured set up as well, Just for we Brycers who want to use the sets, but can't cope with importing the vast texture resources they use.

This discussion has been closed.