Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 4

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,529
    edited December 1969

@StuartB4 - that is a very cool render, indeed. Very well done.

@David - thank you. Those darn abstracts don't let me in peace (and in one piece). I experienced that when I did my part of the abstract wallpapers. I gave your new method a try, though I followed my own ideas. There are thousands of possibilities just by moving the camera a bit. And while the previous one needed 2-1/2 hours to render, this one does it in less than 2 minutes.

RingAbstract.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 306K
  • Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited May 2013

StuartB4 said:
    Here's my latest, the photo in the paper is actually my grandson at my desk.
    The cup, saucer and spoon and the newspaper objects are from Archive3D.
    I added the tea and the bubbles and the front page to the paper.
    Made the Solitaire board, the pen, the coasters and the table with Bryce.
    HDRI for the background. Took 16 hours to render @ 64 RPP, Soft Shadows, Boost Light and MAx Ray Depth = 4
    Was going to use 256 RPP but still had jagged edges around the rim of the cup and the render time was ridiculous
    so I dropped it down to 64 and there was no noticeable difference.

Well done!! It all looks so realistic. I'm not sure I'd have the patience for a 16 hour render though, but this was definitely well worth the wait.
    Post edited by Miss B on
    edited May 2013

chohole said:
    mx42b said:
    Excellent, wonderful, amazing, and a host of other such adjectives for everyone's works displayed here. Each is impressive in its own way.

I call this one "Magic Echoes Between Here and There" . Not much of a title but every other one I thought of turned into a paragraph.
    The only post Bryce work was the addition of my tag line and the conversion from .bmp to .jpg to fit the post size limits. Anyway, I hope you like it.
    ~M.

That is rather impressive, given the length of time you appear to have been using Bryce
    I have to agree. I certainly wasn't producing anything near as nice back when I first started in Bryce.

@Horo - I like the abstract with only a couple of spheres and a cube, because they certainly produced something that looks more involved. Your latest abstract reminded me of a diamond cocktail ring at first glance.

@David - I love the colors of your latest abstract. I have to find the time to try another one. Sadly there's just not enough hours in the day.

Post edited by Miss B on
    edited December 1969

Thank you Miss B. The second one looks a bit like the interior of a wrist watch to me :)

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Stuart, that's a cracking render and no mistake. If we had a gallery - I'd be voting that one up for sure.

Horo, that second abstract is impressive, yeah, like the inside of a very expensive watch - or something like that? Maybe a touch of phase could turn the rings into cogs? Fanciful?

• StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
    edited December 1969

Thanks very much Horo, Miss B and David.

Thanks too David for all the tutorials, I seem to spend more time watching them than actually using Bryce at the minute.
    Learning all the time.

edited December 1969

Horo said:
    Thank you Miss B. The second one looks a bit like the interior of a wrist watch to me :)

Ohhhh, now that you mention it, yes it does look like the interior of a watch. I hadn't seen that at first, but now that I look at it again, I can imagine it looking like a watch from which I've removed the back cover.
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,379
    edited May 2013

Mx42b – beautiful work

Horo – lovely abstracts

StuartB4 – excellent work very realistic.

Here’s my attempt at David’s latest Bryce Made Easy - Abstract recipe 1 - by David Brinnen sans Horo’s Lens

Looking forward to more of your “Bryce Made Easy” tutorials

boxedabstract2.jpg
    960 x 720 - 179K
    Post edited by mermaid010 on
    edited December 1969

Here’s my attempt at David’s latest Bryce Made Easy - Abstract recipe 1 - by David Brinnen sans Horo’s Lens

Looking forward to more of your “Bryce Made Easy” tutorials

Good work and since you were so nice about it. Here's another
    Bryce Made Easy - Abstract recipe 2 - by David Brinnen

Ar2_2.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 1M
    edited December 1969

Testing an idea...

Island_upright4.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 681K
    edited December 1969

@mermaid010 - nice one!

@David Brinnen - I told you, there is no end to it! Looking nice; "fruity", reminds me of strawberries, probably because of the red and green.

Instead of doing a bit more serious work, as I planned, I dawdled away the morning ... Minimalism again. Two slabs, one sphere, one specular convolved HDRI, the GWL and 39 seconds to render. Slabs behave differently than Planes, are more limited, though nevertheless useful. Rendered as 180° panorama. Though the GWL cannot be controlled by the camera FOV, removing it makes a huge difference. Also, using the EWL instead of the GWL gave a completely different result. So these lenses also have their use for a panorama render.

Slabs03.jpg
    960 x 1200 - 207K
    edited December 1969

Oh, those rocks in the water and the warm sky look beautiful.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

w3

w3.jpg
    1274 x 695 - 177K
  • TLBKlausTLBKlaus Posts: 70
    edited December 1969

@David Those rocks and sky are indeed awesome...

Here's another variation, this time two square rings, one rotated 45 degrees and set back a bit. :D

infinities27dev.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 2M
    edited December 1969

TLBKlaus said:
    Here's another variation, this time two square rings, one rotated 45 degrees and set back a bit. :D

Gorgeous!!! Of course, red IS my favorite color. ;-)
  • StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
    edited December 1969

Thanks very much mermaid010.

edited December 1969

@bigh - strange, but charming.

@TLBKlaus - looking good, nice colours.

edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @bigh - strange, but charming.

@TLBKlaus - looking good, nice colours.

:-)

• foleyprofoleypro Posts: 485
    edited May 2013

Here are a few OLD ones that havent been posted since 2004...

Arm.jpg
    640 x 480 - 128K
    Alien_Battlestation.jpg
    800 x 600 - 133K
    After_Armagedon_Year_2134D.jpg
    640 x 480 - 132K
    After_Armagedon_Year_2134a.jpg
    640 x 480 - 86K
    After_Armagedon_Year_2133.jpg
    640 x 480 - 78K
    Post edited by foleypro on
    edited December 1969

w4

w4.jpg
    1274 x 695 - 256K
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

@bigh, very nice wave!

• foleyprofoleypro Posts: 485
    edited May 2013

A few more...

Good_vs_Evil.jpg
    900 x 675 - 389K
    Kaleasha_Immortal_Power_Unleashed2.jpg
    1020 x 764 - 148K
    Invasion.jpg
    640 x 480 - 49K
    Entering_Earths_Atmosphere.jpg
    800 x 600 - 167K
    Explodingstarship.jpg
    600 x 450 - 28K
    Post edited by foleypro on
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited May 2013

@Horo: The sun wasn't positioned in the first go of that image to cast the shadow you spoke of. Had to use the top view to get is positioned. And those abstracts are gorgeous, especially the one thought to be the insides of an expensive watch. I'll have to save my pennies and get that lens set.

@David: I'm drooling again just watching the results in both of the abstract videos. The other video amazes me the effects one can obtain with the right combination of settings. Nice job. Nice work with the rocks image. Love the sky and colors.

@mermaid: Thank you. As you notice, what I get using TLBKlaus's setup isn't the same as those he posts. Maybe someday.

@mx42B: Nice work. Nice touch with the reflection on the back wall. Flames look real good.

@Stuart: What's to say except, wow. Your usual impeccable work. Talk about being envious. ;-)

@bigH: Nice work. Not to sure about the first image, looks like the dead are rising. The waves in the second image are great.

@TLBKlaus: Nice, drooling nice.

@Foley: All of those are really interesting. Nice.

I made several abstracts using TLBKlaus's setup, didn't achieve the same results though, and decided it was time to try something else. While I don't have David's and Horo's lens set I do have the Spherical Mapper. So how would it look if the Lens Group were used in conjunction with TLBKlaus's setup. Below are several that were created using the Lens Group for the Spherical Mapper. Some are made with the camera looking into the boolean cube, some made with the camera turned to face the wall behind the camera. And some are made with the Lens Group rotated 90 and 45 degrees.

Star_n_Cube_14_Sig.png
    1080 x 810 - 2M
    Star_n_Cube_10_1_Sig.png
    1080 x 810 - 2M
    Star_n_Cube_10_Sig.png
    1080 x 810 - 2M
    Star_n_Cube_7_Sig.png
    1080 x 810 - 1M
    Star_n_Cube_6_Sig.png
    1080 x 810 - 1M
    Post edited by GussNemo on
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

Continued from previous post.

Star_n_Cube_19_1_Sig.png
    1080 x 810 - 2M
    Star_n_Cube_19_Sig.png
    1080 x 810 - 2M
    Star_n_Cube_15_1_Sig.png
    1080 x 810 - 2M
    Star_n_Cube_15_Sig.png
    1080 x 810 - 2M
    edited December 1969

@bigh, very nice wave!

thank you

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

I've got like 10 pages to catch up on so please bear with me. So much fantastic work all around I cannot fail to make mention of.

Chohole
    You are a seriously bad-ass Brycer. I dont mean to become the next deserving target of the club so I wont dare profane again but I'd say that room of columns looks very nice and inviting. It doesn't have a lot of shading even though it is an enclosed interior. If stark realism had been the aim a much more shaded approach would have been necessary. But then, the less shaded approach certainly fits your personality better and leaves room for a much lighter mood than I would have interpreted. Your style is incredible. You are in complete control. Fantastic work and I am curious what you will occupy this space with.

Horo
    WOWOWOW. You've really been getting on my nerves lately! You seem to be doing all the things I wish I could do but can't. First, those train images are really good. I think the light levels are balanced well to communicate the mood you are after. I might have personally preferred a little more key light, to help the image sparkle a little more, but that is probably due to my intense need to overdo everything. The indirect light, which seem the be the real point here, does what it is expected to do perfectly. Geometric edges and corners are well framed and exposed. Great.

The abstract is very pleasing, and yes has a clock-work sort of feel to it. All these abstracts are making me think I should try one, they're not really what I do cause I cant conceive of them but I know what I like when I see it.

Bigh
    Breathtaking work on that render on page 31!!

TBKlaus
    I love the way you select your colors. Your moods are always so well communicated.

MIchael Frank
    Surreal and yet so wild and natural. There is something so innately organic about your renders, they kind of get inside my head a bit. What you do is magic and it is ever more astounding to consider how little time you've actually been using Bryce! I love everything you do as I may have said before. Please keep sharing!

ElectroElvis
    That landscape does a great job of establishing scale. I'd be interested in the types of choices you made to produce this results. Haze clearly, but I assume camera angle and perhaps some other less perceivable determinations were made.

GussNemo
    I love that you are such an experimenter.

David Savage
    At your level one can only do one of two things when observing your images. Either spend seven pages detailing all the wonderful and beautiful decisions you've made in every image you post....Or to find the one third of a sentence that tries to formulate into a criticism. There's just nothing to criticize. If I was to reach deep into my bag of expectations I'd say there is one possible error. I am curious if you used scattering correction in your latest industrial render of the tubes in the box? Or is it possible there is some amount of blurred reflection at play with the cardboard material? I'm probably totally buggered but it seems to me that the tops of the tubes along the far left are "reflected" rather sharply by the cardboard. If the cardboard has been coated with a plastic of some sort then I can easily see how such a specular reflection might occur. But otherwise white cardboard I would expect to display a more matte reflection, not so sharp edged. But I could also be completely wrong, totally on the moon and green to the core with envy! Your work is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

David Brinnen
    I've hated you for a long time so nothing new here. I hate that you wont let me catch up on one thing before you've flown off into another area I'm also hopelessly interested in. Darn these videos, I cant even sleep without hearing David Brinnen's voice in my head! But then I dont sleep much.

I'd say the blue glass experiments are quite interesting, and the fact that ambience turned out to be a helpful tool is not surprising at all. I've already observed that the lack of light bounces in Bryce will almost surely lead to some need for some degree of ambience as a compensation. It isn't a fully accurate compensation, but ti is something.

It should be noted as well the differences and similarities in the way this ambient is approached in the two different applications. In Octane, any object can glow and of any brightness. Al lights have physical size and all shadows are soft edged to some degree. In Octane, an object that glows will automatically cast that light onto nearby objects in a physically accurate way. But in Bryce, at least while in standard AA mode, Ambience doesn't cast light onto nearby objects. In TA mode however, it does, and so it almost becomes equivalent to what we have in Octane.

But here's what I got to thinking about. Have you yet tested your OL set-up on TA Legacy Mode? The question is strange, but here is what I am wondering. In Bryce the Ambience slider has a limited brightness, so even though we can add in ambient, we cannot add in unlimited amounts of it. That is unless.......we drive the TA effect with the Ambience channel instead of the diffuse channel, we re-rig the material so that we make glow a natural part of the light solution for all of the surfaces within the scene. Assuming Boost LIght and Scattering Correction and TA Optimization still operate in TA Legacy mode which I' not sure they do) one might be able to produce a Super Ambient, on par with the output potential of the Octane renderer. The idea that an ambience channel driven TA being more accurate than a diffuse channel driven ambience is seemingly against everything I've ever proposed. But I am willing to be completely wrong and eat a decade of words if the results turn out to be superior. Withe the convention of Boost Light and TA Optimization added into Bryce 7 it is conceivable that low level of uniform glow could still produce tangle and believable amounts of indirect lighting.

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

FoleyPro
    Great! And Wow, that girl is pretty darned hot! Has a Raquel Welch sort of feel to it. Classic Pin-up!

GussNemo
    That water looks amazing!

Mx42b
    Really eye catching render. You've got a good start out of the gate! I look forward to more. The fire tuned out really well as did the materials of her clothes.

StuartB4
    Those bubble in that coffee are astoundingly well done. I;d say parts of this certainly look like a photo! WOW

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

David Savage
    At your level one can only do one of two things when observing your images. Either spend seven pages detailing all the wonderful and beautiful decisions you've made in every image you post....Or to find the one third of a sentence that tries to formulate into a criticism. There's just nothing to criticize. If I was to reach deep into my bag of expectations I'd say there is one possible error. I am curious if you used scattering correction in your latest industrial render of the tubes in the box? Or is it possible there is some amount of blurred reflection at play with the cardboard material? I'm probably totally buggered but it seems to me that the tops of the tubes along the far left are "reflected" rather sharply by the cardboard. If the cardboard has been coated with a plastic of some sort then I can easily see how such a specular reflection might occur. But otherwise white cardboard I would expect to display a more matte reflection, not so sharp edged. But I could also be completely wrong, totally on the moon and green to the core with envy! Your work is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Firstly thanks Rashad, to get such glowing praise from an expert such as yourself is flattering.
    As to the technical side, yes I always use TA Scattering Correction and did notice in this case that the white from the cartridges was reflecting quite strongly onto the cardboard box.
    It may have been as a result of turning the sun up (and sun specular) higher than you'd think it was (though I can't remember how much and I'm on with another job at the moment so can't open it to check). The inside of the box is default Bryce grey (closer to the kind of card used in the production of the boxes than white would have been) so doesn't have any reflection or other properties other than it's diffusion value.
    The scene is otherwise set up with IBL made from the Bryce sky (I then made the actual sky black to avoid odd reflections) with sun switched back on and sun specular quite high (trying to get more response from the plastic of the cartridges). I did try to add a 'highlight' light to force specular highlight but it added way too much render time to an already long render. So maybe the sun high specular could have left the white light reflection against the inside of the box?
    edited December 1969

@Foleypro - hey Brian, nice to see you here. Oldies but goldies.

@bigh - poor head got drawned.

@GussNemo - nice experiments. Reminds me that I also should use the Spherical Mapper and Scene Converter differently than for what we've created them. I'm discovering interesting applications for the fisheyes that I hadn't thought before.

@Rashad - thank you! I know what you mean. David comes up with something interesting and even before I can find the time to test it out, there are already two more videos about other interesting things to test. I'm hopelessly behind everything.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,379
    edited December 1969

Foleypro-awesome, interesting renders.

Bigh – love the waves

Guss- beautiful abstracts.

I’m really enjoying these “Bryce Made Easy” abstract tutorials. My attempt on Bryce Made Easy - Abstract recipe 2 - by David Brinnen

The second is a 360 Panoramic Projection David suggested in another thread. I don't see much difference.

360abstract2.jpg
    960 x 720 - 238K
    abstract2.jpg
    960 x 720 - 218K
This discussion has been closed.