Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 4

Comments

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Got to the point where my "to do" list is so overwhelming that I just end up doing something else completely - just to avoid thinking about all the horrible jobs.

Bryce Made Easy - Star burst space cloud effect - by David Brinnen

Star_burst_effect1.jpg
    850 x 850 - 370K
    edited December 1969
    Blue_glass_dragon1.jpg
    700 x 700 - 257K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Horo: Thank you for you kind words about the abstract. And thank you for your experienced eyes with the landscapes. I'll go back and give the settings another look.

@bigH: Love the look of that image.

@David: Really like your view of the heavens. Color of the glass for that dragon is stunning, IMHO. And two more videos to boot.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,529
    edited December 1969

@David - two outstanding renders. As for the dragon, the glass impression is so good that I think DOF was not the best idea.

edited May 2013

Horo said:
    @David - two outstanding renders. As for the dragon, the glass impression is so good that I think DOF was not the best idea.

Yes I did say at the end of the video, I thought I'd over done the DOF. And underdone the RPP. But, time is finite and if I have to re-record the video too many times, I tend to make silly mistakes. The idea... ah, that was thanks to Octane. I had a similar problem to solve in Octane and latched upon the idea of using a self emitting scatting material to solve it and the effect was so nice, I thought, I've got to see if Bryce can do this! Which it can. Because Bryce can do almost everything Octane can, sometimes slower, sometimes faster, often better but not always (I'm still a bit random with Octane - but gradually getting to grips) - it's a beautiful render engine but lacks Bryce's utility, flexibility and friendlyness. I like it, but I couldn't really recommend it to anyone who wasn't super keen on the fine details of rendering.

Anyhow, here's another video. You can tell it's a holiday day can't you?

Bryce Made Easy - SFX spaceship thrust - by David Brinnen

Space_ship_thrust2.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 568K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @Horo: Thank you for you kind words about the abstract. And thank you for your experienced eyes with the landscapes. I'll go back and give the settings another look.

@bigH: Love the look of that image.

@David: Really like your view of the heavens. Color of the glass for that dragon is stunning, IMHO. And two more videos to boot.

thank you

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

@David Brinnen, that blue glass dragon looks very nice.

edited December 1969

Here are a few more abstracts sort of following TLBKlaus's wireframe post a few pages back. Two are using an orange pattern material, and one uses a rainbow of colors. One of the orange pattern images reminds me of the scene where the rebels were flying through the superstructure of the Death Star in an attempt to destroy it. I saw a interesting pattern formed by the other orange pattern image, rotated the camera 45 degrees and ended up with something like a huge factory(?) of some sort.

In this image you can see cat walks on both sides in the middle and upper area. If you look at the bottom, on both sides, you'll see what appear to be covered walkways. And in the center, something that looks like a tram rail support system. Because of the blurring built into the material both images give the impression of motion.

If you like to paint by numbers, the third image is for you. This image really looks like an abstract painting, in that the colors are wild and you have to use your imagination to find any meaningful images.

The last one is posted because it's rather neat looking. Hope you like them all. And as usual, comments are gladly welcomed.

Cube_n_Cube_17_Sig.png
    1080 x 810 - 2M
    Cube_n_Cube_20_Sig.png
    1080 x 810 - 1M
    Cube_n_Cube_15_Sig.png
    1080 x 810 - 2M
    Cube_n_Cube_14_Sig.png
    1080 x 810 - 2M
    edited December 1969

@GussNemo - nice work. The third has a feel of a stained-glass window to it.

edited December 1969

w2

w2.jpg
    1274 x 695 - 236K
    edited December 1969

After... goodness knows how long I've finally got around to doing something with my website. So - boringly perhaps - it's going to be a blog. In which I hope to cover more of the detail behind the video tutorials I make for Bryce and eventually Octane - once I've figured it out some more. And can get it talking nicely to Bryce. Slow progress.

This first entry. I'll try and do something at least once a week. I'll try... Is about this tutorial Bryce 7.1 Pro Advanced - Blue glass Stanford Dragon - by David Brinnen oh and a bit of a preamble about making the tutorials in general.

Here's a link to my Blog then Bryce Stanford Dragon and Octane Render

And in this image you can see the first experiments with this way of using ambient with absorption - as described in the Blog. Top image is Bryce (5 hours rendering) lower image is Octane (20 hours rendering, plus noise removal and light balancing).

Bryce_v_octane32.jpg
    800 x 1200 - 715K
    edited December 1969

@Horo: Thank you very much. If the third image were made into a stain glass window the room where it was placed would be flooded with color.

@David: Where the results of the Stanford dragon has a good glass appearance, the Bryce rendered object in that image doesn't make me feel I'm looking at glass. In this instance, it's the Octane rendered image where I feel I'm looking at glass. Though both remind me of a Sun Dew plant feasting of its latest meal.

Something I might say, which I should have said, about the fourth image in my previous post. The material in that image is the black structures within that image. The yellowish color is a diffuse color given to the reflective cube surrounding the central cubes. The camera is actually positioned so its looking at the wall behind its normal position of looking down the boolean cube. This view was the more interesting of the two rendered.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited May 2013

My latest commercial Bryce render.
    Modelled totally in Bryce and drawn from tech specs of cartridge and outer box cutter form.
    Labels and box printing done as UV maps in Photoshop then applied the long way round through Poser (because of the Mac picture import bug).

8 hours to build and set up, 22 hours to render (because of the transparency and high RPP)

BoxDoneSmall.jpg
    900 x 900 - 525K
    Post edited by Dave Savage on
    edited December 1969

Looks like a photograph of the real thing (that's meant as a compliment).

edited December 1969

Horo said:
    Looks like a photograph of the real thing (that's meant as a compliment).

Thanks Horo. I'm sure they would have used a photo but the finished product doesn't exist yet. :-)
    edited December 1969

My latest commercial Bryce render.
    Modelled totally in Bryce and drawn from tech specs of cartridge and outer box cutter form.
    Labels and box printing done as UV maps in Photoshop then applied the long way round through Poser (because of the Mac picture import bug).

8 hours to build and set up, 22 hours to render (because of the transparency and high RPP)

Great work Dave and thanks for providing the build times and render times. Subtle use of transparency, I know how that feels. There's a point at which, for me, I begin to wonder if I can get away without it and fake it somewhat using an image map. Though this is never as good as going the long way around. As you already know.

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited May 2013

David..love that flaring technique, can see it being used in future SF works (experimental image below for other areas in mind, too). Just watched the latest vid but not the previous ones, as currently involved with a Bryce render running currently at 1:12:26:02 - that's 1 day, 12 hours, 26 mins, 2 secs...pheeewww. Now, that's dedication :)

Jay

flaring-effect.jpg
    872 x 431 - 173K
    Post edited by Jamahoney on
    edited December 1969

Great work Dave and thanks for providing the build times and render times. Subtle use of transparency, I know how that feels. There's a point at which, for me, I begin to wonder if I can get away without it and fake it somewhat using an image map. Though this is never as good as going the long way around. As you already know.

I have a feeling that I may end up having to do some application shots for this product too, in which case setting up the transparency would have been necessary as you'd be able to see the workpiece/background through the cartridge like looking through frosted glass.

Doing jobs like this is a great way to really try to achieve photorealism though. When it's a render from imagination it's easy to let it slide away from realistic. But I would hate it if every time I opened Bryce I had to do something realistic.

edited May 2013

@bigH: Once again I failed to comment on your latest image. All I can say is that any minute I expect to see a frog crawl out of that water and onto the rock in the foreground. I've been to lakes with places just like that image. Nice work.

@Dave: That is a very impressive image. They should be very pleased with your work.

@Jay: That's a really neat looking image. If I didn't know better I'd think it was a modern art painting.

I once again watched David's video about using a picture in a scene, in order to do a bit of tweaking with the valley scene I've been working on. While I'm still not satisfied with the overall layout, I think the slight tweaks gave better results. As always, comments are gladly welcomed.

Banded_Mountain1_20_2.png
    1080 x 810 - 1M
    Post edited by GussNemo on
    edited December 1969

Ah, I see shadows. Good.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,379
    edited May 2013

Catching up again

Lovely work by everyone.

GussNemo – I’m impressed by your abstracts. I tried TLBKlaus’s tut (the wireframe screenshot) but did not get the depth both of you got. Nice choice of materials too.
    Bigh-your landscape scenes are very inspiring I especially like the w2.

Dave-as usual amazing work.

Jay – lovely abstract

Here’s my take on two of David’s recent tutorials… the space ones. The spaceship in the 1st is from the presets and for the second I think it’s from ShareCG. Thanks David

Btw when I try to post I get redirected to my account. I have being having this problem for a while now and I tried using multiple browsers. People say 3rd time lucky but I was 4th time lucky. Anyone experiencing the same problem?

sfxspacethrust.jpg
    960 x 720 - 58K
    starburstspce.jpg
    800 x 800 - 46K
    Post edited by mermaid010 on
    edited December 1969

Well done Mermaid on following the tutorials! And yes the website is still broken. I have had trouble with this site since it was launched last year - in this month indeed on the 17th I think it was. So almost a year of trouble. I've provided over fifty bug reports and have exactly 0% feedback. So... just try to live with it.

New video - another displacement activity - I've plenty to do but instead started chasing an idea I had.

Bryce Made Easy - Abstract recipe 1 - by David Brinnen

Abstract_horizon2.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 1M
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Btw when I try to post I get redirected to my account. I have being having this problem for a while now and I tried using multiple browsers. People say 3rd time lucky but I was 4th time lucky. Anyone experiencing the same problem?

Strangely enough as I read this RH has just roundly cursed about this happening to him, so if it happens to our Super moderator team leader, what chance do the normal people have. :roll:

edited December 1969

thanks guys for the nice comments - happy you liked it

edited December 1969

Still not getting on with what I should be doing.

Bryce Experiments - Metallicity and Specular Halo - by David Brinnen

Pearlescent_sheen_effect1.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 735K
  • mx42bmx42b Posts: 25
    edited December 1969

Excellent, wonderful, amazing, and a host of other such adjectives for everyone's works displayed here. Each is impressive in its own way.

I call this one "Magic Echoes Between Here and There" . Not much of a title but every other one I thought of turned into a paragraph.
    The only post Bryce work was the addition of my tag line and the conversion from .bmp to .jpg to fit the post size limits. Anyway, I hope you like it.
    ~M.

Herentherexxx1.jpg
    1114 x 829 - 319K
    edited December 1969

Everybody is making nice abstracts. Here's a minimalist one: two spheres and one cube. Then, six TA optimized parallel lights. This render works with obscure glow and obscure light and there is a fisheye lens in front of the camera. I call it Ball of Balls.

BallOfBalls.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 385K
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    Everybody is making nice abstracts. Here's a minimalist one: two spheres and one cube. Then, six TA optimized parallel lights. This render works with obscure glow and obscure light and there is a fisheye lens in front of the camera. I call it Ball of Balls.

Cool... OK more of the same but different. Same approach used. Bryce Made Easy - Abstract recipe 1 - by David Brinnen

Abstract_horizon3.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 1M
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

mx42b said:
    Excellent, wonderful, amazing, and a host of other such adjectives for everyone's works displayed here. Each is impressive in its own way.

I call this one "Magic Echoes Between Here and There" . Not much of a title but every other one I thought of turned into a paragraph.
    The only post Bryce work was the addition of my tag line and the conversion from .bmp to .jpg to fit the post size limits. Anyway, I hope you like it.
    ~M.

That is rather impressive, given the length of time you appear to have been using Bryce

• StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
    edited July 2013

Not posted anything for a while, just keep popping in and seeing all the clever stuff
    being posted, envious of a lot of it.

Here's my latest, the photo in the paper is actually my grandson at my desk.
    The cup, saucer and spoon and the newspaper objects are from Archive3D.
    I added the tea and the bubbles and the front page to the paper.
    Made the Solitaire board, the pen, the coasters and the table with Bryce.
    HDRI for the background. Took 16 hours to render @ 64 RPP, Soft Shadows, Boost Light and MAx Ray Depth = 4
    Was going to use 256 RPP but still had jagged edges around the rim of the cup and the render time was ridiculous
    so I dropped it down to 64 and there was no noticeable difference.

Solitaire.jpg
    1400 x 700 - 147K
    Post edited by StuartB on
This discussion has been closed.