Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 4

Comments

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,379
    edited May 2013

Wilmap - lovely seascape.

Horo - the dragon looks awesome. I wish I had your patience. Thanks to you and Guss for sharing your attempts about the glassy effect. I'm also working on that but with no success.

Chohole - a lovely collection of glassware.

Apoc23 - Both your renders are nice, but I like the second one better, looks more like a photo to painting effect.

Post edited by mermaid010 on
  • ApocApoc Posts: 407
    edited May 2013

@Horo:

Was it all in Bryce? I wish I could :P This was before I learned I could actually import models into Bryce lol. if I could do that much in Bryce I will start making videos to share my secrets :D. But I heard that Bryce has a particle emitter? I wonder if I could use that achieve those effects more naturually? would certainly help for future projects

@ Mermaid:

Thank you for the feedback ^_^. I wish I could upload more of my works, but I don't want to overcumb everyone with a non stop feast of apoc. So I will just show them piece by piece

I called this one ( something in the woods ) made 2011 ^^

Something_in_the_woods.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 481K
    Post edited by Apoc on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,529
    edited May 2013

@Apoc23 - rain is notoriously difficult to get right and yours looks quite good. By the way, photographing rain is also rather difficult. No, the Particle Emitter won't help because it generates spheres only. It's an easter egg that can be exploited for other things. I once made a video that is available from here: http://www.daz3d.com/products/bryce/bryce-tech-specs/ - scroll down to Particle Emitter. You'll need some patience since the store page is a bit unreliable at this time.

Post edited by Horo on
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

As a relief from all the serious renders here's something that's a bit of fun for us Minecraft fans.

Minecraft map export to Bryce - Using jMc2Obj - a video guide by David Brinnen

Export_test_for_video.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 198K
    edited December 1969

You've been playing with Legos and the like lately, I see. :) Charming. Minecraft does remind me of Legos.

edited December 1969

Horo said:
    You've been playing with Legos and the like lately, I see. :) Charming. Minecraft does remind me of Legos.

Beware it is dangerously addictive! Here's one using your skydome from Islands 2. (I chose the low resolution version deliberately to chime in with the blocky scheme)

Export_test_for_video2.jpg
    1067 x 600 - 119K
    edited December 1969

This sky does fit exceedingly well into this scene.

• TLBKlausTLBKlaus Posts: 70
    edited December 1969

Was the world really that lo-res when we were young?!?!

Here are some more new ones, which may also be t-shirt designs eventually. I'll post a link
    to that, the first ones should be out tomorrow. :D

Two "regular" abstracts and a tiled one...

symmetries35dev.jpg
    1600 x 800 - 2M
    simplicity67dev.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 2M
    simplicity66dev.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 2M
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited May 2013

@Horo: Thank you for reminding me why I started experimenting in the first place. I wanted to see if it was possible to create glass without using IBL, for the reflective effects, and not ambient as I said. I am using specularity in the material mainly because is was in the original material I started with, and to see what effect it has, and am finding as I adjust transparency and reflection specularity can make things look too bright. But it's interesting to see the results anyway. I know glass has a refractive index of 153 (1.53) and was initially adjusting settings with a 153 refractive setting. After reading the chapter on this in Bryce 4 I decided to try 150 (1.50) to see what resulted. I reached a point of adjusting transparency and reflection where there wasn't enough transparency so I'm readjusting transparency while leaving reflection alone. I think I'll reach a point where transparency and reflection will balance but specularity will need adjusted, even though as you say it doesn't exist in the real world. I may get to the point where I discover it isn't possible, or easily achievable, to produce good glass without using IBL for reflections. But I'll of had fun trying.

The following image has the following settings: Sky Lab: Sun diffuse-20, specular-10, no haze or fog; Mat lab color-all white, specularity-100, transparency-25, reflection-65, refraction-150; the three radial lights diffuse 25, specular-40, linear, shadow softness-100. This formula may be already around but I like the results anyway. If color for specular is set to a light orange a gold color results as seen in the second image.

@mermaid: I can't really say I've yet achieved good looking glass, but it's been fun trying.

@Apoc: That's a interesting image, though a bit dark--unless that was your goal. The water really looks good.

@David: Interesting video, though I've not heard of Minecraft before. Looks like a Lego building program.

@TLBKlaus: What's to say but, WOW, as usual. Pardon me while I get a towel to wipe up some wet stuff. ;-)

Fancy_Cube_Glass_Test_No_HDR_30.png
    750 x 750 - 599K
    Fancy_Cube_Glass_Test_No_HDR_29.png
    750 x 750 - 565K
    Post edited by GussNemo on
    edited December 1969

@TLBKlaus - looking good, again. I'm less fond of the tiled one but it could be used for a carpet. That's not a critic, it's just me.

@GussNemo - the examples look rather solid but I di like the first one. It looks like pewter. We have cups here for the white wine and it looks quite similar. Glass is as difficult to get right as water; reflection happens with refraction and the viewing angle.

edited May 2013

Apoc23 another lovely render, the light in the background makes a good contrast to the darkness in the foreground.

David – thanks for the link to Minecraft in the other post, never heard of this game.

TLBKlaus – another awesome set of abstracts.

Guss compared to the results I got, your results are great.

After a zillion renders this is the only one I really like, done using David’s lighting in this tutorial

http://youtu.be/GYJOf-VdAo8

The material is from the presets-standard glass changed the Refraction to 153 Added Reflections 3, Premium render TA Rpp 64 time to render 1hour 15mins. There are no shadows because all the shadow options for the ground plane material were turned off.

glass1.jpg
    600 x 600 - 19K
    Post edited by mermaid010 on
    edited December 1969

Nice work Mermaid, the light has worked a treat - the glass looks plausible.

Right, everyone who's said they have not heard of Minecraft or not played it. I don't know. Here's the link https://minecraft.net/ try the demo. Goodness me, you don't know what you are missing. Oh you'll be baffled at first and you'll think it looks blocky and then it will steal your life.

Like the Bryce community the Minecraft community are friendly and helpful because it's a game primarily about creating not killing. This channel is very good http://www.youtube.com/user/mcspotlights

OK back to what I was going to say, update to last video makes life so much easier. Minecraft map export to Bryce 2 - Using jMc2Obj - a video guide by David Brinnen

But do watch the first video first - there is a link in the description. And this new approach works as well for Octane as it does for Bryce!

So that's a bonus.

First image Bryce second image Octane.

Minecraft_cut_away1.jpg
    700 x 700 - 83K
    Cutaway_minecraft_map2.jpg
    700 x 700 - 122K
    edited December 1969

Oh you'll be baffled at first and you'll think it looks blocky and then it will steal your life..

That's exactly why I try hard to not start with it. Time's scarce alsready.

@mermaid010 - I agree with David, the vase came out quite nice.

edited December 1969

Horo said:
    Oh you'll be baffled at first and you'll think it looks blocky and then it will steal your life..

That's exactly why I try hard to not start with it. Time's scarce alsready.

@mermaid010 - I agree with David, the vase came out quite nice.

Well... you don't have to make anything, you can seek out bits of the landscape that interest you and just export those for rendering. Here I found this pyramid thingy, and when I cut it open what did I discover - to my surprise - that some sneaky old Pharaoh had left a little trap in the treasure room for me. Might try a bit of tomb raiding later...

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

For a fair comparison, you really should show how it looks in Minecraft too. :cheese:
  • WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

Sorry to be ignorant, but what is minecraft? Looks a bit like Lego.

edited December 1969

wilmap said:

Bask in ignorance no longer, read the second paragraph of this post.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/19391/P720/#338297

edited December 1969

For a fair comparison, you really should show how it looks in Minecraft too. :cheese:

Yes, but that would be a lot of mining to chip away the ground like that and the TNT might get me while I was at it. And besides, it's more fun for people to find it out for themselves. If you want the challenge I'm prepared to share the map seed with you. (for those that don't know all the world in Minecraft is procedurally generated - hence my initial interest)

edited December 1969

Thanks david, will take a look.:-)

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

After a zillion renders this is the only one I really like, done using David’s lighting in this tutorial

http://youtu.be/GYJOf-VdAo8

The material is from the presets-standard glass changed the Refraction to 153 Added Reflections 3, Premium render TA Rpp 64 time to render 1hour 15mins. There are no shadows because all the shadow options for the ground plane material were turned off.

That came out lovely Mermaid. :-)
    edited December 1969

@Horo: The first image is my favorite too, also a surprise. I liked it so much I added the material to the Material library. It was at this point I realized I had to try different transparency settings while keeping the same reflection settings. And I've been reading more in Bryce 4, which is helping me understand why what I'm trying to achieve is difficult.

I do have a question, which I hit upon while thinking about all this, dealing with the density of a material. Real glass is not standard. That is, real glass is constructed to fit the need. Window glass, drinking glasses, bullet resistant glass, thermal glass, vases, bowels, safety glass, etc. So how light passes through any of these glasses is affected by the material that composes the glass, and/or the impurities in the glass. But so far I haven't seen this taken into account when trying to create glass using Bryce. Or do the settings in the Mat Lab act as a density factor to some degree? I thought about duplicating the sphere I'm working on, reducing its size and grouping it with the original to simulate thickness. Though without being able to add impurities or the mixture for the type of glass, it doesn't seem this would work.

@mermaid: That glass looks wonderful. Below is an image of the first glass I ever tried, when I first started working with Bryce. I don't remember which material I used, I may have been following a tutorial, but the glass in this image doesn't look half as good as yours. As to the shadows, go into the Material Options drop down and turn them back on. If you haven't already tried a render with them on. You may find it helps with the overall image, or it doesn't. Thing is if you don't like the results you can turn them off again. Same with the sun casting shadows.

@David: I with Horo on Minecraft. Once bit I may not get back to Bryce, or anything else.

DGlass_2_1.png
    885 x 885 - 1M
    edited December 1969

@GussNemo - I haven't yet tried a volume material for glass. I see what you mean with impurities. In Bryce (and other modelers), an object consists only of the surface that circumscribes it. And we give a material to that thin surface. This is also one of the reasons a prism doesn't work in Bryce, the light is not split into its individual colours, creating a rainbow on the other side. On a sheet with no thickness, there can't be impurities within. The different glass sorts you talk of (bulletproof, thermal, etc) are "sandwiches" consisting of glass and plastic layers. We cannot recreate them in Bryce, we can only try to emulate the look. There's also a difference whether the glass object was blown or cast. It's a bit of a can of worms we've opened with this glass thingies, but it's fun nonetheless.

edited December 1969

Thanks for the nice feedback David, Horo, Miss B and GussNemo

I did try a render with the shadows turned on but the one without the shadows looks much better. I think its something to do with the lighting setup in David's iphone tutorial.

Moving on to David's lighting tutorials.

edited December 1969

wilmap said:

Bask in ignorance no longer, read the second paragraph of this post.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/19391/P720/#338297

Well I looked at that link, but not the sort of thing I'm interested in. Thanks, but I'll stick to playing Jewel Quest instead.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    I do have a question, which I hit upon while thinking about all this, dealing with the density of a material. Real glass is not standard. That is, real glass is constructed to fit the need. Window glass, drinking glasses, bullet resistant glass, thermal glass, vases, bowels, safety glass, etc. So how light passes through any of these glasses is affected by the material that composes the glass, and/or the impurities in the glass. But so far I haven't seen this taken into account when trying to create glass using Bryce. Or do the settings in the Mat Lab act as a density factor to some degree? I thought about duplicating the sphere I'm working on, reducing its size and grouping it with the original to simulate thickness. Though without being able to add impurities or the mixture for the type of glass, it doesn't seem this would work.

While I haven't looked closely at it myself, I think what you want want to do is adjust the Refraction (bottom parameter in the Materials Lab). Different materials (such as different types of glass) refract (bend) light more or less. A very long time ago I thought I saw somebody actually post a list of values for different materials somewhere, but I don't remember where. I pulled this article about "index of refraction" from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_refractive_indices which lists a few types of glass (and remember some "glass" (including I think some kinds of bulletproof glass) are actually plastics (acrylic, lexan, etc.). I think I've even seen a list of different glass types too somewhere. I Haven't looked at that parameter in the Bryce manual yet, not sure if you need to convert from the index of refraction to that value or if they are the same thing.
    Good point about layers Horo, I hadn't even thought of that. That also made me think of coatings (such as when you see camera or binocular lenses, telescopes, military sensors, sunglasses) which may reflect blue, green, gold, etc. Some of those perhaps you could duplicate or get close enough by changing the color that they reflect to be different than the color they transmit. Don't know how you would get the leaded glass effect, or soap bubbles
    edited December 1969

Yes, coating could be done if we get the colour right. After all, it's a surface thing. Good idea!

edited May 2013

Using volume was an idea I had during one of my attempts, Horo. But all I achieved was a bright looking object having the outline of my sphere object. I've never tried using volume in the Mat Lab before, so I may not of had the settings correct. Keep in mind my attempts are being done without using any channels.

That's only one part of it Sean. As Horo stated in a previous post, reflection and viewing angle also play a role in glass looking like glass. If too much reflection, such as a strong light focused on the surface, then transparency suffers. If too little reflection, then it looks blah, flat. And if transparency is set to high you end up with too much black, or so I've discovered.

Something else that has to be considered is the color used for the glass. If you try and creat clear glass you have to balance transparency, reflection, refraction and color. You may have to adjust the amount of color used by adding diffusion. Or brighten it a bit with a touch of ambience. And, you need to have the right amount, and intensity, of light. Too much of one or the other and you end up with one of David's neat looking street lights.

I've discovered that too much of any one thing in the Mat Lab and you end up with something but not a glass looking object. You want to create the look of a burning light, use 100% transparency and reflection. Or as David has shown, 100% ambience to create a glowing effect You want a black object, use a touch of diffusion and 100% transparency. The pewter object, Horo's name for it, in my latest images resulted by choosing the settings in that post. Atmosphere was disabled and set to black, ambient color was set to black, haze and fog were disabled. That object shows the results of more reflection that transparency; the shadow also shows there is less transparency.

If we had a workshop set up where we blew glass we could then control what went into making a specific glass. Likewise if we were setup to create sheet glass. But Bryce is basically a mathematical program which we are trying to manipulate in order to achieve real world likenesses. We may not be directly manipulating the formulas but we are plugging in different integers each time we change settings in the labs. And it's learning how all these settings interact that can be time consuming or daunting. Especially if, at the same time, you are learning how to creat art.

Post edited by GussNemo on
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    ... And if transparency is set to high you end up with too much black, or so I've discovered.

If the transparent colour is set to black yes. But you can change that colour to which ever colour you need. Balance that with Volume colour and you don't get black.

If you are still getting black, try increasing the Maximum Ray Depth and Total Internal Reflection (TIR) in the render settings.

edited December 1969

...all this talk of volume glass has made me curious to try it... I'll see what I can come up with. :D

Thanks for the kind words all!, here's another tiled "carpet" one, sort of a Bryce tartan lol...

And the first two t-shirts using my designs have been launched, you can check them out here if you're so inclined: http://store.letsrageclothing.com/carlbrowncollection ... it's an all-over-print style.

symmetries36dev.jpg
    1600 x 800 - 2M
    edited December 1969

Here's a volume glass test, used a modified water material...

glasstest1.jpg
    400 x 400 - 85K
This discussion has been closed.