Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 4

Comments

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited May 2013

@Miss B: Thank you.

@Horo: Thanks. I agree the pointed terrain in the first image doesn't really work, not like the one in the second image. I seem to remember one of David's tutorials that C/P from one image to another, which is what I think I'm going to try. Or if it's possible to actually save terrains in the object library, go that route. My idea for the second image is as Miss B said, a very dry and arid location, but with a tree struggling to grow. Hence the title, Keep Trying. I also see what you mean about tree to mountain relationship. Perhaps repositioning the tree will help.

@Jay: Thanks. Bubbles, perhaps, but some places are as desolate as this setup so life might not include fish.

As to the first image looking like an underwater scene, it never occurred to me that's what it could be. When it rendered as you see, an "what the heck" reaction from me since that wasn't the sky I'd selected, I saw it as a clear night with a full moon. And yet, looking at it again I can see how you all feel it's an underwater scene. For an underwater scene it would need embellishments to make it more believable, something I'd have to learn.

@tlantas: Wow, real nice. Love the detail of the wall. This image reminds me of the first Alien movie.

Post edited by GussNemo on
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,379
    edited December 1969

GussNemo – thanks I like your second landscape very much, the tree trying to survive the arid conditions.

Jay- thanks trying to make the jelly look more like glass, playing with the ambient and volume settings, no luck so far

Atlantis – very interesting image.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Been busy doing non Bryce work for most of this week.
    Last night I got back to it and converted this 51 Chevy Fleetline from Poser to Bryce.

51ChevyALT.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 190K
  • Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

Been busy doing non Bryce work for most of this week.
    Last night I got back to it and converted this 51 Chevy Fleetline from Poser to Bryce.

That looks incredible! Beyond amazing!!!

edited May 2013

@mermaid: Thank you.

@Dave: That looks more like a photograph than a render. Wow, nice work.

I finally took the time to try David's blue glass dragon tutorial using a couple of objects I made in Wings 3D. Once the setup was complete, I tried different colors to see how they would affect the overall look. And in the last one I really decreased the Ambient color so the object(s) color was much lighter. I never can create decent looking glass using Bryce, but maybe it occurred this time.

Now the very last image, the one many thought was an underwater scene is an experiment. I wanted to see what would result if I took a 2D face, applied water material to it, and placed it right in front of the camera. You be the judge(s).

Keep_Trying_5_2.png
    1080 x 810 - 1M
    Fancy_Cube_Glass_6_Sig.png
    750 x 750 - 634K
    Fancy_Cube_Glass_5_Sig.png
    750 x 750 - 641K
    Fancy_Cube_Glass_3_Sig.png
    750 x 750 - 621K
    edited December 1969

I think Guss is right about the glass. The ambience does to some degree produce an effect that looks like a gelatin, more so than a hardened glass. However it doesnt jump out right away so I dont think the ambience hurts the impression overall. The gelatin appeal might be due to some value of the refraction, or maybe down to the uniformity of Ambience in Bryce. In Octane "Ambience" likely can only be produced by making the object into a 3 dimensional "emitter" of sorts, allowing the ambient light to self illuminate the model with light rays, allowing it to self shade as well. Likely, Octane refracts the ambient light rays producing subtle caustics as the ambient light rays are redirected. Bryce ambience however, starts from within the camera and is projected onto the model. This is different in that in order to get a proper response in Bryce we must enable True Ambience to allow the projected light to bounce around the environment. I do doubt however, that Bryce is refracting the ambient light rays in the same way it does the rays fired from radials. Is that making any sense? The result would be a slight mismatch, as a lack of ambient caustic.

Nice experiments Guss!

edited December 1969

@Rashad: Reading you post made me wonder how the image would look using TA, so I set up the first image on my previous post for using TA. David's tutorial didn't use TA but an HRD file to provide reflection, so I'm rendering the first time without the HRD file then will render with TA and HRD, knowing using both will likely result in a long render time. Results to follow.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,529
    edited December 1969

@Dave - nice pink Chevy, nice backdrop ;)

@GussNemo - no, not glass, though the objects are nice the way they are.

@Rashad - a cast glass object is notoriously difficult to get right in Bryce. After my experiments, I'm not sure blurry transmissions are the answer. Ambient may or may not help in the simulation. It would be nice if I had a coloured glass object before my eyes to compare. Memory sometimes plays tricks.

edited December 1969

Thanks guys.
    Horo, You spotted your HDRI :)

Here's the job I'm going to put the render on. I'm just doing the branding this new company. I've taken the contact details for now, but there is also a phone number, email and website line in the bottom black band.

51ChevyALTCompD.jpg
    982 x 652 - 183K
    edited May 2013

@Rashad: Thanks. I've done several renders just using the sphere object, since render time for both objects was anywhere between 1-2 hours at 256 RPP. I ended up cutting RPP down to 64, which seems to give nice results, and am adjusting transparency and reflection settings after each render; I'm also adjusting the luminance value for volume color. I'm also tweaking ambience when I think it necessary, both on the Sky & Lab palette and in the Mat lab. But so far I haven't achieved anything close to any of the spheres in the previous images.

@Dave: That's going to look real nice when you finish. I only wonder about the color for the grill and center of the front bumper. Will it be as dark as in your unfinished image or chrome like the rest of the bumper?

Below is the latest image of the experiments I'm doing. For my next try I'll lower transparency and raise reflection and possibly adjust the luminance value for the volume color. I personally think this image is too transparent, judging by the orange color in the darker shadow.

Fancy_Cube_Glass_Test_No_HDR_4.png
    750 x 750 - 519K
    edited December 1969

Thanks guys.
    Horo, You spotted your HDRI :)

Here's the job I'm going to put the render on. I'm just doing the branding this new company. I've taken the contact details for now, but there is also a phone number, email and website line in the bottom black band.

Oh so yummy in so many ways!!!! You certainly do manage to produce stunning artwork and it makes me proud to know that Bryce is an integral part of your process. Your mastery with post-work is most notable as well. I am again in awe!
    edited December 1969

@Dave - That is going to look superb! The bit of foreground at left makes a lot of difference, well, the lady as well.

edited May 2013

Thanks again guys. :)

Guss: The bumper is just all chrome, I think the dark is from the reflection of the big trees that are in the HDRI giving the nice reflections in the hood. Certainly the sun light is hotting the front of the car and so that's the only reason I can see for it looking a bit dark. As all the fron end chrome is part of the same mesh, there's not much I can do to edit further, but I may end up altering the whole angle/lighting/colour yet.

I've already messed around with it slightly, though I keep meaning to tackle lowering the suspension and maybe even chopping the roof down so it's a real low low rider.

The other pic is a Ford Hot Rod. Again imported from Poser and all materials swapped over to Bryce ones. Quite pleased with how the paint job looks, but the mesh on this one is not very good quality.

51ChevyPurpleb.jpg
    1500 x 750 - 387K
    HotRod.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 229K
    Post edited by Dave Savage on
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

I see Dave's been producing beautiful renders again - well done!

And Jamie has been experimenting with glass - also well done.

I've been researching ways around the obvious limitations of using spherical maps as backdrops and come up with this process.

Spherical mapping scenes for backdrops and including 2d faces - by David Brinnen

Images

1 - the starting point showing the subject of the scene.
    2 - the subject with a low resolution spherically mapped backdrop.
    3 - what is reflected that is not in the direct view of the camera.
    4 - the subject with a low resolution spherical backdrop combined with a high resolution 2d backdrop.

Ready_for_background3.jpg
    889 x 500 - 335K
    lowres_reflect.jpg
    889 x 500 - 118K
    Ready_for_background2.jpg
    889 x 500 - 269K
    Ready_for_background1.jpg
    889 x 500 - 89K
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @Rashad: Thanks. I've done several renders just using the sphere object, since render time for both objects was anywhere between 1-2 hours at 256 RPP. I ended up cutting RPP down to 64, which seems to give nice results, and am adjusting transparency and reflection settings after each render; I'm also adjusting the luminance value for volume color. I'm also tweaking ambience when I think it necessary, both on the Sky & Lab palette and in the Mat lab. But so far I haven't achieved anything close to any of the spheres in the previous images.

Clever study you are undertaking. Best of luck and I do look forwrd to seeing what you and David and Horo come up with in this matter. I'll, likely to twist out a sphere or two myself for some study if I can get any time.

Below is the latest image of the experiments I'm doing. For my next try I'll lower transparency and raise reflection and possibly adjust the luminance value for the volume color. I personally think this image is too transparent, judging by the orange color in the darker shadow.

There are some oddities with the light in this example. It's difficult for me to put my finger on the issue. Somehow, the highlights on the glass don't seem to face the opposite direction of the primary shadows. It makes me wonder if the three point lights have differing shadow intensities but generally similar brightness intensities? I'm not making sense yet but I will try to explain.

After my past post I got to thinking about how Bryce might refract rays cast by ambient light. Obviously, Bryce will refract ambient light rays cast in the direction of the camera. But I am not certain if Bryce refracts those ambient light rays that don't face the camera. I'm thinking that in some modes Bryce may indeed refract ambient light rays cast away from the camera in TA mode. I'm trying to think of a way to test such a subject.

edited December 1969

Guss - nice experiments for the glassy look

Dave - beautiful work I like the Ford

David - thanks for the new videos

edited December 1969

@Dave - the painting for the Ford Rod Hot came out very nice, indeed.

@David - interesting videos. The almost-normal map trick is surprising.

@Rashad - I'm currently looking a bit into the glass thingy. I'll have to wait to see how it looks until the 2-1/3 days render finishes.

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

WOW!! I love these realistic poster type renders you do. This is fabulous!! :coolsmirk:
    edited December 1969

Thanks again everyone.

Miss B, I should point out in case it's not obvious that most of the work in the poster is done in Photoshop.
    The girl is the clients daughter photoshopped in from a photo where she is leaning against a garden wall and the logo I designed in Illustrator and the overall distressed look creases etc is a stock Photoshop layer I created years ago and keep on my drive for such purposes. Glad you like it. The 1950s and Rockabilly stuff is a speciality of mine (even though I'm not old enough to have been around at the time). :-)

Churning a few of these out for the last few days.
    Had another one cooking while I was out gigging tonight and it's turned out good(ish).
    It's a modification of the last Ford Hot Rod. I substituted an HDRI with a more direct light source and altered the balance between Sun and IBL to get the lighting much betterer... Then added Vicky4 and rendered at 256RPP - Just a tad over 6 hours to render.

HotRodALT.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 342K
    edited December 1969

Really awesome render TheSavage

• ApocApoc Posts: 407
    edited December 1969

Wow, there are a lot of amazing works here. I haven't had a chance to thank you properly david for those amazing videos you posted Landscape lighting , wiether it was on my behalf or not, I really appreciate it. ( Juggernaut 1011 )

I decided to take on a more complex project using all the materials I learned form david's tutorials. The models are from mighty_mestophales - sedition soldier for M4, and liquid halo for V4.

1st file is 100% bryce

2nd file is post-worked with paint.net

SpaceStation_Viewer1.png
    1920 x 1440 - 5M
    SpaceStation_Viewer.png
    1920 x 1440 - 4M
  • ApocApoc Posts: 407
    edited December 1969

And I am sorry for the double post, but I forgot to add one with a color swap

SpaceStation_Viewer5_5.png
    1200 x 900 - 2M
    edited December 1969

Miss B, I should point out in case it's not obvious that most of the work in the poster is done in Photoshop.
    The girl is the clients daughter photoshopped in from a photo where she is leaning against a garden wall and the logo I designed in Illustrator and the overall distressed look creases etc is a stock Photoshop layer I created years ago and keep on my drive for such purposes. Glad you like it. The 1950s and Rockabilly stuff is a speciality of mine (even though I'm not old enough to have been around at the time). :-)

Oh I realized a lot of it was postwork, but that's what makes those renders you use for them special.

As for the Rockabilly stuff, I am old enough, and maybe that's why I like this one so much. :coolsmirk:

edited December 1969

Apoc23 said:
    And I am sorry for the double post, but I forgot to add one with a color swap

Oh, I think I like this one the best. There's something about the gold reflections that give it a nice "warm" feel, though that may not be what you were aiming for. ;-)
    edited May 2013

@Dave - new Ford Hot Rod with the lady looks great. Yeah, I like the Rockabilly stuff as well. Been around then already and since things came over the pond with some delay, I was just about the right age for it.

@Apoc23 - welcome here. Nice work. I like the blueish one more: place appears cold and light is cold.

Post edited by Horo on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited May 2013

While everyone else has been working on all their facinating images and tecniques, I have been going along in my normal boring fashion.

This is my first attempt at using the instancing though, combined with some of my imported trees.

Raw render, and then one tweaked with a photography filter

The_long_and_winding_road_filter.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 1018K
    The_long_and_winding_road.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 899K
    Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

If what you present here is your "normal boring fashion", what then could the exiting one be? Excellent! As a Bryce purist (sort of), my only remark is that the final artwork could have been done in Bryce by tweaking lighting. Nevertheless, the result counts and that is beautiful indeed.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    While everyone else has been working on all their facinating images and tecniques, I have been going along in my normal boring fashion.

This is my first attempt at using the instancing though, combined with some of my imported trees.

Raw render, and then one tweaked with a photography filter

Don't do yourself down, that's a wonderful render and very complex. Reminds me of Constable (rustic style). I can't decide which I like best, the raw render or the filtered render. They are both good. The differences are subtle.

edited December 1969

Apoc23 said:
    Wow, there are a lot of amazing works here. I haven't had a chance to thank you properly david for those amazing videos you posted Landscape lighting , wiether it was on my behalf or not, I really appreciate it. ( Juggernaut 1011 )

I decided to take on a more complex project using all the materials I learned form david's tutorials. The models are from mighty_mestophales - sedition soldier for M4, and liquid halo for V4.

1st file is 100% bryce

2nd file is post-worked with paint.net

I think, like Horo I prefer the blue version and in this case, I think the post-worked version looks best. Well done! And also, I'm glad to see you are finding the tutorials of use!

edited December 1969

@Rashad: I think it might be more than I can chew rather that clever. So far I've tried several things but none which produced anything resembling glass(like) material. Having 100% transparency and reflective produces a bright object, so combining that with 100% ambience really produced a bright object. Removing ambience lessened the brightness but still left the top of the object dark and the bottom light. Increasing/decreasing volume color, sun intensity, radial light intensity or fall off settings, still resulted in a dark top and light bottom. So I decided 1) I still may not know enough to really be tackling this or 2) I was going in circles, and it was time to try something else What I did has shown me something I'd not even considered. It's actually material from Pro Material that David created, which is 100% specularity and 100% transparency; the something I'd not considered. The image below is my first attempt at using this setup, though I changed color to the orange I've been working with.

I agree there is something not quite right with the light. In that image all three radial lights have the same intensity and shadow settings, and in later renders I played around with settings for transparency, reflective, diffuse, ambience, specularity, and lighting in differing combinations. The resulting images were worse than I started with.

@Dave: Post work or not, you produce some fabulous images. Both of your latest car images are lip smacking good.

@mermaid: Thanks.

@David: Real nice video, though a bit above anything I'd need at this point in time. Still, thanks for creating it. And thanks for the kind words concerning my experiments.

@Apoc: I like all three of those images because each is a different flavor. I do wonder, though, in the third image with as much lighting as there seems to be if the skin of the figures shouldn't be brighter.

@Pam: I think both are terrific. What you call raw render in the first image, I call character. The lower lighting gives it a blue mood of a day, though I'm guessing by the second image, something you weren't initially after.

Because I wasn't getting the results I wanted, I decided to pull out my map and take a different route; the left fork this time. I went into the material library and started looking for something that could be used as a starting point. I found a material called Blister Packaging, in Pro Materials that David created, which turned out to be a combination of settings I'd not even thought of using initially. Settings for this material are 1% Ambience, 100% Specularity, 100% Transparency, and Refraction set to 100 (air). I used the material as is but changed color to the orange I'd been playing with. As you can see with a refraction of 100 the object has too many dark inclusions.

In the second image I changed the refraction setting to 153, glass, and you can see there are fewer dark inclusions. I tweaked the settings a bit and have another one cooking. I'll get it posted when can.

Fancy_Cube_Glass_Test_No_HDR_9.png
    750 x 750 - 636K
    Fancy_Cube_Glass_Test_No_HDR_8.png
    750 x 750 - 503K
This discussion has been closed.