Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 4

Comments

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    Finally found myself a space ship that was in my price range, free, and added it to one of my star burst scenes. I also added an engine flair, which took watching one of David's videos again, tweaked the contrast in GIMP and the results are below. As always, please feel free to provide comments.

Nice space ship. Reminds me a little of some of the space ships on Babylon 5. It fits perfectly with that star burst background.

Nice job on the latest abstracts as well. ;-)

edited December 1969

TLBKlaus said:
    ...here are a couple more variations on the ongoing theme.

..and it looks like I'm going to be getting some of my designs on shirts very soon. :D

I like these variations. The first looks as though you're looking straight down at it, but the second makes it appear as if you're looking down at it at a 45º angle. Nice.

Oh, and congrats on the shirts. :-)

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,529
    edited December 1969

I had finally time to not only watch David's video Bryce 7.1 Pro Advanced - Blue glass Stanford Dragon back on page 33 - but also experimenting. I used the Amadilo from the Stanford Scan Repository. Rendered with 64 rpp in 2 hours. This is the lowest limit and I'm currently render it with 256 rpp on a slower but noiseless machine. It should finish in less than 16 hours.

arma06.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 213K
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    I had finally time to not only watch David's video Bryce 7.1 Pro Advanced - Blue glass Stanford Dragon back on page 33 - but also experimenting. I used the Amadilo from the Stanford Scan Repository. Rendered with 64 rpp in 2 hours. This is the lowest limit and I'm currently render it with 256 rpp on a slower but noiseless machine. It should finish in less than 16 hours.

That looks very good Horo. I'm pleased you tried the tutorial out. It seems to work this approach, even though the effect is subtle, it really makes a difference to the quality of the glass.

Wendy's render, back a page, came out well too! Your advice over the frequency of the water material would be what I'd say. Incidentally Bryce bump mapping is about 10x better than Octanes. Of course Octane has normal mapping. But not parallax mapping as far as I can tell. Testing continues. I hope to get on with my island project soon - work depending. I've found some very interesting things (well interesting to me at least).

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Miss B: Thank you. Ha, I'd forgotten about Babylon 5, good show. Yeah I guess it does look like one of the ships on that show.

@Horo: Nice job. What is the red on the inside of the right arm? Reflection from HDR file?

• Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 870
    edited May 2013

A lot of great new pictures here. GUSSNEMO nice space scene and congratulations for your grandfatherhood (I hope, it's not totally wrong to say so). TBLKLAUS lovely abstracts, very detailled. I remember of a few really nice scenes of BIGH. HORO your glass attempt came out very well. GDRESCH: I love this sky picture wih the kite. It has this certain depth. And I am still astonished about RASHAD's archipelago pictures and THESAVAGE64's product pictures. And I try to watch all the inspiring videos of DAVID. Like WILMAP with her lovely scene I tried to put something of David's Tutorial about "Geocrafting" into a scene of myself.

insel_geocrafing.jpg
    800 x 455 - 122K
    Post edited by Electro-Elvis on
    edited May 2013

@electro-elvis - looks very nice - good student ;)

@David - thank you. I'm currently looking into this from another angle. If it turns out I have something to say, I'll post it.

@GussNemo - thank you. It's my signature as glass in the glass.

Post edited by Horo on
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

A lot of great new pictures here. GUSSNEMO nice space scene and congratulations for your grandfatherhood (I hope, it's not totally wrong to say so). TBLKLAUS lovely abstracts, very detailled. I remember of a few really nice scenes of BIGH. HORO your glass attempt came out very well. GDRESCH: I love this sky picture wih the kite. It has this certain depth. And I am still astonished about RASHAD's archipelago pictures and THESAVAGE64's product pictures. And I try to watch all the inspiring videos of DAVID. Like WILMAP with her lovely scene I tried to put something of David's Tutorial about "Geocrafting" into a scene of myself.

thank you
    like this one - good work

edited December 1969

@electro: Thank you. Nice image.

@Horo: Very clever touch.

edited December 1969

I've been experimenting a bit with glass, specular halo and maximum ray depth settings. The glass was booleaned with two cylinders, a third cylinder is water, fully transparent and refraction 133 (index 1.33). The glass is also fully transparent, refraction 153 (index 1.53). It has 10% ambience ambient white, sky ambient white. Lit by 3 white radials, reflections by the specular convolved HDRI CableStock. Total internal reflections (TIR) was set to 2.

The upper half uses maximum ray depth 4, the lower half 5 This increase of 1 increased render time by 43.4%.

Top and bottom left, specular halo 0 (black), top and bottom right 255 (white). The middle rows left 96, centre 144 and right 192.

sh+mrd-s.jpg
    750 x 1000 - 98K
  • WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

Another landscape I've been fiddling with.

Landscape_9a.jpg
    2000 x 1060 - 284K
    edited December 1969

That looks very good. I like the depth/distance you achieved. ;-)

edited December 1969

@Wendy: Really nice image. I agree with Miss B on overall depth perception.

@Horo: Your glass experiment is rather interesting, since I have a terrible time achieving real good glass or liquid in a glass.

Going through my abstracts, looking for stray .PNG files, I came across the multi-object image; tori around an elongated sphere. I don't remember if I posted it, so I'll show it now. The next few are from another abstract tutorial that, once again, didn't turn out as per instructions. However...with a nip here, a tuck there, I finally achieved some nice images.

Rocks_6_Sig.png
    750 x 750 - 1M
    Rocks_4_Sig.png
    750 x 750 - 735K
    Rocks_3_Sig.png
    750 x 750 - 823K
    Sphere_and_4_Toruii_757_x_758_3_Sig.png
    757 x 757 - 1M
    edited December 1969

@wilmap - I agree with the others, this landscape has a lot of depth to it. Well done.

@GussNemo - ah abstracts. There's no end to what can be accomplished. Nice examples.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,379
    edited December 1969

GussNemo – you are the master for abstracts, I love all the results you got especially the last two.

Wilmap and electo-elvis – lovely landscapes. Love the depth and sky colors in the second one of Wilmap

All the work is top notch as usual.

Horo – thanks for the video on FOV and the file, very interesting. Nice results with the glass experiments.

edited December 1969

@Horo: Thank you.

@mermaid: Ah, I don't know about the master part, but thank you for the kind words. I really feel more like the grasshopper, yet. ;-)

edited May 2013

Experimenting with Bryce 7.1 Pro Advanced - Blue glass Stanford Dragon I used one of Horo’s Hdri from the free content. Although it’s not the glowing glass as per the tut, it was fun doing this tutorial.

Premium render 256 RPP, Tir2 and the other setting as per the tutorial except I did not like the effect I got with the DOF so I left that out. The 1st render took 28 mins and the 2nd 45mins

Thanks David for the workout.

glass5.jpg
    600 x 600 - 19K
    glassex-dav.jpg
    600 x 600 - 19K
    Post edited by mermaid010 on
    edited December 1969

This looks very nice.

• StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
    edited December 1969

Not meaning to be derogatory or anything, but is it just me or does anyone else think that the renders by Horo and Mermaid010 of glass objects look more like a jelly than a glass.
    They just look too soft to be glass.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited May 2013

StuartB4 said:
    Not meaning to be derogatory or anything, but is it just me or does anyone else think that the renders by Horo and Mermaid010 of glass objects look more like a jelly than a glass.

Now that you mention it, there is something of that in the material. There's a lot of options though, as Horo demonstrated with his test piece, although I've been too snowed under to really examine that. But I suspect that the more ambient light is fed into the mix, the "softer" the effect is going to get. Which in the end could result in something like marshmallow perhaps?

Edit. I'm currently deep into Bryce lattice/terrain export.

1 - I've figured out how to export the procedural material maps and get them the same as on the original.
    2 - I've found the conversion scale to skip out the need to pass the lattices and terrains through DS.
    3 - I've found out and solved what has happened to bump mapping and almost got a normal map too - almost.

But stayed up so late figuring this out that I burst a blood vessel in my eye and almost got to my first job late.

That I'm using Octane to test the results is neither here nor there, as I pointed out on dA, half the challenge is getting stuff out of Bryce. You could just as easily import it into Lux or some other software or back into Bryce (but as a mesh) or into DS - because we can do a far better job that the DS bridge this way.

Interesting challenge.

Post edited by David Brinnen on
    edited May 2013

StuartB4 said:

You're probably not totally wrong. That's why I made those glass tests afterwards. Though I wouldn't call the amadillo result outright as jelly, but it must be a very dense sort of glass, though. I suspect the Blurry Transmission was set a bit on the high side rather than ambience. The higher the Blurry Transmissions, the less transparent the glass gets.

EDIT: Sounds interesting what you've found out (not the blood vessel).

Post edited by Horo on
    edited December 1969

StuartB4 said:

Thanks for your feedback Stuart. I knew I did not get the glass effect, now I know its jelly ;)

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

StuartB4 said:

I didn't like to say that, but now you have said it I will agree with you.

• StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
    edited May 2013

I often have trouble myself trying to get glass as I would like it.
    There are so many things to get right though without affection the rest of a scene.
    Sorry to be a bit picky.

@chohole. thanks for the backup lol, just wish you'd said first it and not me.
    If it had been a race I would have come last.
    :)

@DavidBrinnen.
    Bursting a blood vessle, that's dedication for ya.
    We do all appreciate the work you do.

Post edited by StuartB on
    edited December 1969

@mermaid: Like you images, glass or jelly, they're nice. Better than I've ever produced. ;-) I've a few 3D Wings cubes I've been meaning to use with that tutorial, but I must have AADD because I'm easily distracted. :lol:

Saw a screen saver I thought that'd look nice made with Bryce, so gave it a try. My skill level with the terrain editor is still in the zero to none level so the resulting image didn't look like the screen saver. Still, I was happy with this particular try, especially when using a preset sky resulted in the first, unindented, image. The second image is the actual day time I was trying to accomplish. Both images are entitled "keep Trying." Please feel free to comment on both or either one. Help is always welcomed.

Keep_Trying_10_Sig.png
    1080 x 810 - 2M
    Keep_Trying_5_Sig.png
    1080 x 810 - 1M
    edited December 1969

I like them both. If it weren't for the tree in the middle, I would've thought that first one was an underwater render because of the blue tone of everything.

The second, of course, looks like a very dry, arid location.

edited May 2013

@GussNemo - both are nice, the first is a night shot, I take it. I prefer the second because the rock looks better and the wall in the background is more convincing than the needle in the night shot. I'm not happy with the tree. It is small and should make the rock wall appear huge. But the camera is at eye level and thus makes the tree a sprout. But then, perhaps that was exactly your intention and I interpret your work the wrong way around.

Post edited by Horo on
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Mermaid...liking the glass-thingy with the additional grass-thingy in it - it's glass-grass thingy (say that fast) ;)

Guss...I thought your bluey image was an underwater scene on first view - throw in a few bubbles, some water fronds and a few fish, and you'd have a whole new watery scene.

Jay

• AtlantisAtlantis Posts: 133
    edited December 1969

Bryce + sculptris + wings3d = Sj Ship In Alien home world

sjalien.jpg
    1200 x 575 - 173K
    edited December 1969

Great render, creepy.

This discussion has been closed.