* closed* RRRR The're ba....ack! Render contest

Comments

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,869
    Chameo said:

Anyway - I couldn't stand waiting, so I went ahead and did a second random draw (after updating for the new pieces I picked up this morning!) I hope it's not against the rules to start working on a second pull before the first is done rendering....

That's OK, and you seem to have a friday 13 render there ;-) 

• Grrr!! So my daughter blew a circuit breaker this morning, shutting down my PC just as my #1 render was getting close enough to "eh, that'll work", so I had to restart it again from 0. She was blow-drying the dog!! Anyway - I couldn't stand waiting, so I went ahead and did a second random draw (after updating for the new pieces I picked up this morning!) I hope it's not against the rules to start working on a second pull before the first is done rendering....

I shouldn't think so; it just tells us that you really have the RRRR "bug" as bad as the rest of us!

• Ken OBanionKen OBanion Posts: 1,447
    edited September 2017

And it's on to Round II!

The pull (using the traditional method this time, referencing my spreadsheet):

6705 - I13 Steakhouse Environment
    6677 - Detective Bundle
    4384 - Mandy (!?)
    172 - Quickening Decay for Parkside Head Interior

And if you think I'm going to call this an improvement..., you are mistaken.

Also used:
    Orestes Iray HDRI Skydomes Vol 2 - Dreadful Clouds
    Iray Ghost Light Kit by Kindred Arts (and a great-big 'Two-Thumbs-Up!', both for the product, and for the help Kindred Arts provided in getting it to work!  So I guess that would be four thumbs, right?)
    Kozaburo Short Hair Evolution for Victoria 3 (From before you were born, remember, kids?)
    Italian Boots for Victoria 3
    DressCoat Italia for Victoria 3
    Elliot for Genesis 3 Male
    Mathew Hair
    Leather Style Outfit for Genesis 3 Male
    Classic Casual for Genesis 3 Male
    Carrie for Genesis 3 Female
    Flirty Hair
    I13 Steakhouse Server outfit for Genesis 3 Female

Compositing and postwork in GIMP 2.8

And now for the liner notes.  Three items:
    1) Every so often, I need a not-so-subtle reminder of just how much of a pain in the never-mind-precisely-where Victoria 3 was to work with, compared to her more recent incarnations; karma tends to be really diligent and conscientious in that regard.  Apparently, this pull was one of those reminders;

2) I may have played a bit "fast-and-loose" with the Steakhouse Environment: I used just enough furniture to make it identifiable, and one of the server poses; I also threw in the Steakhouse Server outfit (it was, after all, part of the bundle).  I just hope it's a pardonable sin;

3) And finally, I am always reluctant to play the "mawkish sentimentality" card in my RRRR renders (I've only done it once before, as I recall), but this one just didn't seem to want to go in any other direction.  So I let it.  I certainly don't expect it to get any votes for 'Funniest'.  (And if it does, well..., you people are just..., sick!)

Anyway, for what it's worth....

TAG: obanion#02

Title: Echoes of Key Largo ("We had it all, just like Bogie and Bacall....")
    It isn't so much that the memories keep coming back, it's that they never really go away....

RRRR_TheyreBack_02.png
    1300 x 731 - 1M
    Post edited by Ken OBanion on

Very nice render Ken!! 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,944
    edited September 2017

Yes, nice one, Ken. Your detective looks forlorn, just as the story would indicate.

This reminds me of another Bogie and Bacall moment where Gopherus made you send Alexis back to Martin after I orchestrated your happy ending together. Grrrrr. How unfair was that? (Although it was a great entry and I think I voted for it.) I'll never forget or forgive that! cheekywink

edited to add: Wow! That was 2014.

Post edited by barbult on
  • Thanks, Totte and barbult.  As I mentioned, this one kind of took on a life of its own.  (It was that damn 'Mandy' character for V3, which planted that god-awful, treacly Barry Manilow tune in my head for two whole days, and then a Facebook post by Mark Steyn about that old Bertie Higgins song, Key Largo, with a hurricane tie-in, got that one lodged in my brain for another two days...!  Geez, I'm surprised I'm still sane!  Oh, wait....)

And now it's time for the next one: pull #3.

2658 - i13 100 Essential Expressions for Victoria 7
    3569 - Hayden for Young Teen
    5517 - Dress Code Violation Outfit
    596 - Genesis 3 Male(s) Expressions and Face AniBlocks

Hmm, so all I have to do is have Mike and Vicky sit there, mugging the camera, and we're good?  Works for me...!

• luci45luci45 Posts: 2,736
    edited September 2017

tag:luci45 #1
    Ulfnaar Returns?
    Ulfnaar finds himself in a stange land where he encounters a fake little girl with a very mean baby doll who wants to kill him. It looks like he will get some help.
    (The real Ulfnaar: The adventure of Ulfnaar  devil)

Used:
    Smells Like Fall for Genesis 2 Female(s)
    Traveler's Naturals - Heavy Vines Vol 4
    Game Master's Tools
    Toys of Yesteryear
    iRadiance - Light Probe HDR Lighting for Iray - Expansion 3 (LB)
    Leyton Hair for Genesis 3 Female(s) and Genesis 2 Female(s) (LB)
    Diana and Jones Outfit for Genesis 2 Male(s) (LB)
    The Firearm Pack (LB)

Also used:
    Viking for Genesis 2 Male(s)
    Viking Male Hair for Genesis and Genesis 2 Male(s)
    Gianni 6
    Bjorn texture
    Kids 4 Toddler
    50's Dress for Kids 4
    Growing Up for Genesis 3 Female(s)
    StreetWear T-Shirt For M6
    Base Camp Vol.1-3 Bundle
    Marisandra Hair

new game.jpg
    2000 x 1333 - 698K
    Post edited by luci45 on

Fabulous, Luci! It really makes good use of your items and has a real miniature toy feel.

luci45 said:

tag:luci45 #1
    Ulfnaar Returns?
    Ulfnaar finds himself in a stange land where he encounters a fake little girl with a very mean baby doll who wants to kill him. It looks like he will get some help.
    (The real Ulfnaar: The adventure of Ulfnaar  devil)

Used:
    Smells Like Fall for Genesis 2 Female(s)
    Traveler's Naturals - Heavy Vines Vol 4
    Game Master's Tools
    Toys of Yesteryear
    iRadiance - Light Probe HDR Lighting for Iray - Expansion 3 (LB)
    Leyton Hair for Genesis 3 Female(s) and Genesis 2 Female(s) (LB)
    Diana and Jones Outfit for Genesis 2 Male(s) (LB)
    The Firearm Pack (LB)

Also used:
    Viking for Genesis 2 Male(s)
    Viking Male Hair for Genesis and Genesis 2 Male(s)
    Gianni 6
    Bjorn texture
    Kids 4 Toddler
    50's Dress for Kids 4
    Growing Up for Genesis 3 Female(s)
    StreetWear T-Shirt For M6
    Base Camp Vol.1-3 Bundle
    Marisandra Hair

Absolutely love this one ;-)

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited September 2017

Added a comment split from: RRRR They're baa...ack! Entries only thread.

Post edited by Chohole on

Thanks, barbult and Totte (I'm really glad you like it. smiley)
    Welcome, grays! grays #1 Wow, that is a beautiful render!
    obanion#02 I love the "mawkish sentimentality". I am all for it. (Maybe I'll do a tearjerker too if I get the right pull.) I promise not to vote for this as 'funniest.' I'm not that sick. laugh

Pull #2:
    Bobby Soxer
    Streets 
    Wine me
    Home Farm - Complete - Poser (Mr Sparky)
    Bennu Bird (LB)
    Aging Morphs for Genesis (LB)
    Yasuo for Lee 6 (LB)
    Ranger Props for Genesis 2 Female(s) (LB)

luci45 said:

I promise not to vote for this as 'funniest.' I'm not that sick. laugh

Ha! we should do it, but that would cheat the true funniest entry. So I guess we shouldn't. Darn.

barbult said:
    luci45 said:

I promise not to vote for this as 'funniest.' I'm not that sick. laugh

Ha! we should do it, but that would cheat the true funniest entry. So I guess we shouldn't. Darn.

Yeah, better not. Might be as bad as what you and Gopherus did to his Alexis and Martin story... cheeky

• ChameoChameo Posts: 306

Wow - I see those LBs are well deserved! @luci45, the details really sell this - the figures in the background, the window...they just make it all feel so real. And Ken? No, you're crying... (also, darn you for sticking that worm in my ear!)

• GopherusGopherus Posts: 1,108

@barbult  But ken and alexis will always have texas.... and they ll never lose their good memories...    as i remember the last time i saw her she was heading for  key largo on the african queen.

@obanion #1  Oh no!  tony let jeannie get away from him. No wonder he ll pay anything to get her back.  Good one!  And you re back in the groove.

#2    Oooo!!!! A moody one! Ghosts of memories past.... well done!

@Totte #1  You gotta be careful of those voodoo mechanics... i bet that s how jerry van dyke s mother s spirit ended up in that car.  Good one!

@Luci #1  alright! a role playing game with a dungeon master!  may you always make your saving  throw!  great depth and detail!!

@greys #1  Welcome!  Great lighting!  well done!

edited September 2017

TAG: Totte#02 

Totte said:

#1355 Dark Trees Pack 1 - Ivy (#17393)
    #3580 Mech Vardon (#19524)
    #776 Capsces Poses M6 Pack 2 (#17604)
    #5838 The CheckPoint (#16329)
    LB1: #5933 The Last Stand (#23724)
    LB2: #571 Beorn for Genesis 3 Male(s) (#44491)
    LB3: #1011 Colors for Pink Hair (#13363)
    LB4: #307 Antique Typewriter (RDNA)

Also used:
    Skies of Iradiance
    M6 + Eldritch Seeker + Facial Hair  
    Gwenbleiz Form M7 + Heath Hair + Noble Nomad (textures) + Stan SMG 
    Genesis + PDA Tom + Cute Mini dress and Shoes + SciFi Weapons (Pistol)
    WestPark Abolution (Toilet, hacked) + Genesis Basic Male + Tale Hero + AlexioHair / Wagner Hair
    V4 + V4 Aged + V4 Brazen + Wheelchair from Westpark
    Totte’s Flyfishing (table)
    Everyday drinks
    Office Interior (papers)
    The Tentacle
    Backstab Alley (the pot)

Shaders Used:
    Hair Shader from Unshaven2
    Iray Converter For Genesis
    Daily Cloth Shader
    UHT2 Ultra Salon

The Spontaneous Postfuturistic Sci-Fantasy Musical

The notorious RRRR bad boy Tom has escaped from prison and is now performing on stage in a musical directed by former human canon ball Lola, who let the actors act, musicians play and then write down the script from that. She even borrowed a musician from Ken's Waterloo Orchestra, for some extra touch.

themusical.jpg
    1800 x 1440 - 600K
    Post edited by Totte on
    Chameo said:

Grrr!! So my daughter blew a circuit breaker this morning, shutting down my PC just as my #1 render was getting close enough to "eh, that'll work", so I had to restart it again from 0. She was blow-drying the dog!! Anyway - I couldn't stand waiting, so I went ahead and did a second random draw (after updating for the new pieces I picked up this morning!) I hope it's not against the rules to start working on a second pull before the first is done rendering....

Pull #2

Blood Lust for Morphing Fantasy Dress

Sweet Girl Poses for Aiko 6

Sixties Dinette Set

Rigged Water Iray 2

There must be a force out there fighting against us. I lost a hard drive last night - just doesn't show up in Windows anymore. I lost my RRRR in progress, and lots of other scenes, etc. They hadn't been backed up since June. My bad! It will take me some time to restore what I do have backed up and then redownload and install some stuff, etc.

• I'm sorry to hear about the computer troubles some of you are having.  I can imagine how much that sucks.  Stress and life has been killing my creativity lately, but my draw did give me a fun idea.

Morana Draw #1

Thanks, Chameo and Gopherus. 

Totte#02 LOL, Totte, that's a lot of crazy! I can't remember the renders of bad boy Tom and human canon ball Lola even though they sound familiar. But Ken's Waterloo Orchestra with the toilet bowl instrument is unforgettable. wink

OMG, barbult, sorry about your hard drive. I hope you can recover your lost stuff. I guess I need to do some backup soon. surprise

luci45 said:

Thanks, Chameo and Gopherus. 

Totte#02 LOL, Totte, that's a lot of crazy! I can't remember the renders of bad boy Tom and human canon ball Lola even though they sound familiar. But Ken's Waterloo Orchestra with the toilet

Tom, he had a stag night ending with an axe somewhere, he was in several mugshots, and I think he also missinterpreted cross dressing
    And Lola sat in a catapult and also was a guide at the theme park ...

OK, I do remember now. wink We need an RRRR gallery. 

• We have one already -- that list of links to all the previous contests, in the first post....

We have one already -- that list of links to all the previous contests, in the first post....

I know. It's just hard to find things sometimes. We need an RRRR Encyclopedia with index and cross-referencing. laugh

luci45 said:

We have one already -- that list of links to all the previous contests, in the first post....

I know. It's just hard to find things sometimes. We need an RRRR Encyclopedia with index and cross-referencing. laugh

Lol - reminds me of a guy I spoke with at a developer confernce over some beers. He was doing search engine stuff. he said he was born in a library, th reference section, and it had effected his whole life ;-)

Anyone up for the task?

• greysgreys Posts: 335
    edited September 2017

@everyone Aw, thanks for the kind words everyone :)

@ken - great mood! (or, well, horrible mood as the case may be... my poor feels)

@luci - love it! I'm running a campaign at the moment and playing in two others so I can definitely appreciate Ulfnaar's bamboozlement at his sudden circumstances

@totte - love the small background details! (also why is Tom notorious? I feel like I'm missing key background here! I must know how one ends up in this current predicament... bad life choices? the winds of fate? kicked the toe of the statue of the wrong forgotten god while carrying pineapple flavoured yogurt on a Tuesday?)

Also, a question - While putting something together, I realised I returned one of the items I drew in my last batch after I exported the list of things from Install Manager. Do I mulligan the whole hand or just the misdraw?

Post edited by greys on
    edited September 2017
    greys said:

@everyone Aw, thanks for the kind words everyone :)

@ken - great mood! (or, well, horrible mood as the case may be... my poor feels)

@luci - love it! I'm running a campaign at the moment and playing in two others so I can definitely appreciate Ulfnaar's bamboozlement at his sudden circumstances

@totte - love the small background details! (also why is Tom notorious? I feel like I'm missing key background here! I must know how one ends up in this current predicament... bad life choices? the winds of fate? kicked the toe of the statue of the wrong forgotten god while carrying pineapple flavoured yogurt on a Tuesday?)

I just love to use P3D Tom for Genesis, he got that unique bad ass look, in a good way. I can see if I can fins some of hist life experiences. (Just say there is a M4 & G2M vesion of him at Rendo while googling my usage of him).

greys said:

Also, a question - While putting something together, I realised I returned one of the items I drew in my last batch after I exported the list of things from Install Manager. Do I mulligan the whole hand or just the misdraw?

Just the bad pull, consider it as pulling something like a Carrara shader when using DS, something that should have been stripped from the list.

Post edited by Totte on
    edited September 2017

The history of bad boy Tom (Not an entry)

Tom’s Stag night

Tom (in a wet suit) and Lola as Theme park guides:

Tom competing in the ”2 mile parallel granny pushing drone skeet shooting

Tom playing lead guitar in Ken Banion’s Waterloo Orchestra 

Tom being confronted with the evidence of his crimes (but used his alias Johnny)

Post edited by Totte on
  • Chameo said:

Wow - I see those LBs are well deserved! @luci45, the details really sell this - the figures in the background, the window...they just make it all feel so real. And Ken? No, you're crying... (also, darn you for sticking that worm in my ear!)

I'm not crying!  It's..., it's allergies.  Yeah, I'm allergic to cat dander.  And you know how many cat videos there are cluttering the Internet.

Yeah.  Allergies.  That's the ticket!

Wow, a whole history of Bad Boy Tom! I didn't know he had done all that. Found him on Rendo with difficulty as he is unavailabe now. Too bad, Great bad ass look for sure.

While I would love to make an RRRR Encyclopdia it would be a daunting task for the chronically disorganized person that I am. The oldest ones I find of mine are from January 2012 and I think it might have started a little before that. Also it was in the PC section for a long time. Yikes! surprise

What we need is the ability to tag each image with Artist & prominent individuals, like Mandrake, Muck & Tom. Maybe that can be done using the Gallery, if every image is tagged with RRRR as one of the tags.