* closed* RRRR The're ba....ack! Render contest

Comments

• luci45luci45 Posts: 2,736

LOL, Barbult, I was wondering if Thomas would be back with his cherry tree. I'm glad to see he is appriciated now. laugh

Thanks, Chameo. Reflections are tricky. I felt really lucky when that render fell into place. I would not attempt a three-way mirror - too much tweaking for me.  The Kaleidoscope tool is a fun way to play with mirrors; there are lots of good ideas in the promos. 

• ChameoChameo Posts: 306
    barbult said:

Tag: barbult #01

Newcomers to RRRR can learn all about Thomas and his cherry tree in the November 2013 RRRR chain render contest thread. It all started with a bonsai gone bad. Follow his adventures through the course of the old thread.

@barbult Well, that was a lovely way to start off my (way too early) Sunday morning. It makes me want to dive right into my new pull - but alas, I have about 8,000 words of content to write and two websites to update before I can play today.

• Ken OBanionKen OBanion Posts: 1,447
    luci45 said:

Ken OBanion This is from Pivotal Moment Poses for Genesis and Genesis 2 Male(s). This is in my latest pull. LOL. 

Yeah, irony can be pretty ironic sometimes, can't it?  And, as it happens, I have the set.  (It was PC+, so..., yeah.)

I ended up having to pretty much 'roll my own', though, due to the circumstances of the scene.  It's rendering, even now.  Over an hour so far, 180 iterations, and not even 1% converged yet!

This is going to take a while, folks....

(And Man, DAZ Studio is one weapons-grade resource hog!  Once you start a render, you can pretty much kiss that whole 'multi-tasking' concept good-bye...!)

(And Man, DAZ Studio is one weapons-grade resource hog!  Once you start a render, you can pretty much kiss that whole 'multi-tasking' concept good-bye...!)

When I realized I was going to be doing a lot of intensive work in DAZ Studio for my Tarot card deck, I gifted myself a desktop with 12 GB RAM and a faster CPU (which, I know, is low end for what you really need but I could afford what I could afford). Believe it or not, even without a dedicated graphics card, I can usually run two instances of DAZ studio - one rendering and one setting up another scene, and still run a browser (with an average of 25 tabs open), text editor, email client and MS Word. About every five minutes, everything freezes for 5-8 seconds, but that's the only noticeable effect. When I was working on the laptop with 6 gigs RAM, my whole system would be totally useless for up to fifteen minutes at the start of a complicated render.

Chameo said:

When I realized I was going to be doing a lot of intensive work in DAZ Studio for my Tarot card deck, I gifted myself a desktop with 12 GB RAM and a faster CPU (which, I know, is low end for what you really need but I could afford what I could afford). Believe it or not, even without a dedicated graphics card, I can usually run two instances of DAZ studio - one rendering and one setting up another scene, and still run a browser (with an average of 25 tabs open), text editor, email client and MS Word. About every five minutes, everything freezes for 5-8 seconds, but that's the only noticeable effect. When I was working on the laptop with 6 gigs RAM, my whole system would be totally useless for up to fifteen minutes at the start of a complicated render.

That's actually pretty close to what I'm experiencing.

I'm running on a laptop, with 12 GB RAM, an i7 CPU clocking at 3.2GHz, with an NVidia GeForce 840M GPU (it is a CUDA device; at least, DAZ Studio thinks it is), and a 2 TB hard disk, running Windows 10.

The only reason I'm complaining about the intermittent 'freezes' is because I'm probably a goodly-bit older than you, and thus more relentlessly aware of my own impending mortality.  Hell, I'm sixty-something years old; I'm going to be dead in thirty years!  I don't have time for this crap! 

(Which is why I damn near blew an O-ring when I found a serious error in my scene and had to abort the render to fix it, after well over an hour.  I'm now right at three hours and some 525 iterations into the latest render.  And I'm still looking at '0%' complete.  I'm also seeing some strange behavior in the MHE:Glasses shaders; the glasses are rendering really dark, almost as if it was Black Amethyst. I wonder if that's where Iray is having its issues....  In any event, I'm reluctant to shut down the render, because, well..., three hours!  That's some 12,960 heartbeats, out of an average allocation of some 4 billion.  In fact, The Moody Blues recorded a song on that very subject: 22000 Days: "It's not a lot / It's all you've got...")

• dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128

I'm going to play!

My first pull:

• Ron's Weeds
    • GIS Series Lights Bundle
    • Jonas Hair for Genesis 3 Male
    • Capsces Gladiator Poses Leo

...Hmmm.

Wecome, Dreamfarmer! RRRR is fun and addictive. smiley

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,944
    luci45 said:

LOL, Barbult, I was wondering if Thomas would be back with his cherry tree. I'm glad to see he is appriciated now. laugh

Yes, Luci, Thomas made it back and I hope to bring Muck back too. It would be a CRIME not to bring Muck back! This is a rough month for me for rendering. I'll be out of town until the 11th, but I think toward the end of the contest I'll be able to work on a second entry. That is, unless we have to make another trip to tend to my ailing aged father-in-law.

Chameo said:

@barbult Well, that was a lovely way to start off my (way too early) Sunday morning. It makes me want to dive right into my new pull - but alas, I have about 8,000 words of content to write and two websites to update before I can play today.

Chameo, I'm glad you enjoyed the prior adventures of Thomas and his cherry tree!

OK, here we go.

• Ron's Weeds
    • GIS Series Lights Bundle (lighting and camera angles in GIS Orion Lights)

Also Used:

• Easy Environments Autumn
    • Highlander Outfit for Genesis 3 
    • Legendary Swords

The Flowers

"Oh," he thought, as he lay where he'd fallen. "Those flowers. I remember them from my childhood. I'm glad they're coming back again...."

RRRR They're Back 1b.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 1M

OK, here we go.

• Ron's Weeds
    • GIS Series Lights Bundle (lighting and camera angles in GIS Orion Lights)

Also Used:

• Easy Environments Autumn
    • Highlander Outfit for Genesis 3 
    • Legendary Swords

The Flowers

"Oh," he thought, as he lay where he'd fallen. "Those flowers. I remember them from my childhood. I'm glad they're coming back again...."

Nice - such a poignant little story. The clouds and sun are amazing.

Yeah, the light/skydomes from those Lantios packs are amazing. I don't usually do 3DL (though did for that because, well, 3dl lighting) but I now really love them.

Gonna go again. It's almost next verse same as the first. Yet another thing I know I never actually bought in there, Ron brushes, a hair.... 

Except I can go back to Iray this time.

Ron's Steam
    Modular Command Chair
    Jazz Hair
    Redhouse Christmas Carol

edited October 2017

And now it's time for the next one: pull #3.

2658 - i13 100 Essential Expressions for Victoria 7
    3569 - Hayden for Young Teen
    5517 - Dress Code Violation Outfit
    596 - Genesis 3 Male(s) Expressions and Face AniBlocks

Hmm, so all I have to do is have Mike and Vicky sit there, mugging the camera, and we're good?  Works for me...!

Um, it turned out to be not quite as simple as that....

Also used:
    Preppy for Genesis
    Ashe for Genesis (Shoes)
    Crazy Male Hair
    Belle 6
    Skyler Long Hair
    FWSA Cole HD for Gianni 7
    Adam Hair for Genesis 3 Male(s)
    Everyday Casual Outfit for Genesis 3 Male(s)
    Carmilla for Victoria 7
    Casual Style for Genesis 3 Female(s)
    Long Shag Hair for Genesis 3 Female(s)
    i13 Steakhouse Environment
    i13 Steakhouse Poses
    Bijou for Genesis 2 Female (She seems to turn up in a lot of my renders; I wonder why...?)
    Leyton Hair
    Piratess for Genesis 2 Female(s)
    Dinnerware for Iray
    MHE: Glasses
    Moonshine's Diner Interior II (Yep; there's a Tomalin something in everything I do!)
    Diner Food 4

Okay, I've wrestled with this damned thing long enough!  I aborted the first render after an hour because there was a scaling issue with the food.  I aborted the second render after four hours due to an issue with the shaders applied to the glasses.  The third render ran for a little over nine hours (pretty much overnight, actually), when the system lapsed into a coma, and I had to restart.  I started the fourth render this morning, and after some six hours, it's still saying it's only 1% complete.

Well, screw it!  I'm entering it "as-is", graininess and all!  Like I said earlier, I'm gonna be dead in thirty years; I don't have time for this crap!

TAG: obanion#03

Title: Family Night Out: "Can't Take This Kid Anywhere!"
    Back by popular demand, we're celebrating National 'Talk Like a Pirate Day' at the Sizzler Steakhouse!

Hayden's parents could always count on him to say or do something to embarrass his family in public; it was practically his superpower!  And he did not disappoint, when he told their waitress that she "can walk my plank anytime!"  His mother thought it was hysterical -- especially when the server 'returned fire'!  His dad..., um, not so much.

Server: "No, thanks, kid.  I have this rule: anytime I'm forced to fraternize outside my own species, I always at least try to date UP!"

RRRR_TheyreBack_03.png
    1200 x 900 - 2M
    Post edited by Ken OBanion on
  • greysgreys Posts: 335
    Totte said:

Just the bad pull, consider it as pulling something like a Carrara shader when using DS, something that should have been stripped from the list.

Okay, now that I'm done with spending another week stuck in bed (apparently the glandular fever and pneumonia told their good friend Random Viral Infection what a good host I was. How sweet...), here's my updated second pull:

1280 - Michael 6
    1242 - Mec4D The Aviatrix for G2F
    993 - InaneGlory's Photo Studio - Point and Shoot Iray
    1077 - Knightly Barding
    1037 - Iray Rain

edited October 2017

tag luci45#4
    Return of the Continuum Adjusters
    Because sometimes time and space just won't behave properly...
    (I did Continuum Adjustment four years ago when I pulled 3 environments: Streets of Asia, West Park, First Class Stateroom)

Used:
    Urban Sprawl 
    Victorian Maid for Genesis 2 Female(s)
    Cthulhu Rising
    Camping Gear
    Dream Home Upper Floor Guest Room (LB)
    Spirit of Punk (LB)
    St Michael's Gate (LB)
    Pivotal Moment Poses for Genesis and Genesis 2 Male(s) (LB) 

Also Used:
    Lots of Jepe's plates and Ron's Brushes
    Characters from previous renders

Continuum Adjusters Return.jpg
    2000 x 1600 - 1M
    Post edited by luci45 on
  • TotteTotte Posts: 13,869
    luci45 said:

tag luci45#4
    Return of the Continuum Adjusters

They're back!

Oh, cool! Another mind-bending Continuum render!  (And, as it happens, I have another computer that needs new wallpaper!)

And now it's time for the next one: pull #3.

2658 - i13 100 Essential Expressions for Victoria 7
    3569 - Hayden for Young Teen
    5517 - Dress Code Violation Outfit
    596 - Genesis 3 Male(s) Expressions and Face AniBlocks

Hmm, so all I have to do is have Mike and Vicky sit there, mugging the camera, and we're good?  Works for me...!

Um, it turned out to be not quite as simple as that....

Also used:
    Preppy for Genesis
    Ashe for Genesis (Shoes)
    Crazy Male Hair
    Belle 6
    Skyler Long Hair
    FWSA Cole HD for Gianni 7
    Adam Hair for Genesis 3 Male(s)
    Everyday Casual Outfit for Genesis 3 Male(s)
    Carmilla for Victoria 7
    Casual Style for Genesis 3 Female(s)
    Long Shag Hair for Genesis 3 Female(s)
    i13 Steakhouse Environment
    i13 Steakhouse Poses
    Bijou for Genesis 2 Female (She seems to turn up in a lot of my renders; I wonder why...?)
    Leyton Hair
    Piratess for Genesis 2 Female(s)
    Dinnerware for Iray
    MHE: Glasses
    Moonshine's Diner Interior II (Yep; there's a Tomalin something in everything I do!)
    Diner Food 4

Okay, I've wrestled with this damned thing long enough!  I aborted the first render after an hour because there was a scaling issue with the food.  I aborted the second render after four hours due to an issue with the shaders applied to the glasses.  The third render ran for a little over nine hours (pretty much overnight, actually), when the system lapsed into a coma, and I had to restart.  I started the fourth render this morning, and after some six hours, it's still saying it's only 1% complete.

Well, screw it!  I'm entering it "as-is", graininess and all!  Like I said earlier, I'm gonna be dead in thirty years; I don't have time for this crap!

TAG: obanion#03

Title: Family Night Out: "Can't Take This Kid Anywhere!"
    Back by popular demand, we're celebrating National 'Talk Like a Pirate Day' at the Sizzler Steakhouse!

Hayden's parents could always count on him to say or do something to embarrass his family in public; it was practically his superpower!  And he did not disappoint, when he told their waitress that she "can walk my plank anytime!"  His mother thought it was hysterical -- especially when the server 'returned fire'!  His dad..., um, not so much.

Server: "No, thanks, kid.  I have this rule: anytime I'm forced to fraternize outside my own species, I always at least try to date UP!"

Ken this is really neat - love it!

Okay, it's on to Round 4!

My pull:
    7732 - Fairytale Collection: Palace Entrance
    7511 - The Courtyard
    5061 - DAZ Dragon 3 Morphs
    688 - Piranha Zipper Dress (Hmm, I've had a few experiences with "piranha zippers", but they wouldn't be very TOS-friendly...!)

Now, what to make of this mess....

Pull #3

#5522 Steam Aircraft Dragon (#14364)
    #1300 DA Lucian 7 Shadow Pose Set (#34731)
    #2895 Ideal Beauty: Legs for Genesis (Rendo)
    #5159 SF Wasteland Vagabond G2 (Rendo)
    LB #1:#2051 Fantastical Features for Genesis 3 Female(s) (#22201)
    LB #2:#5520 Scifi Sniper Suit for Genesis 2 Female(s) (#18136)
    LB #3:#6055 The Treasure Beast (#16194)
    LB #4:#2797 Hooded Cloak for Genesis 2 Female(s) (#18287)

Random numbers generated Oct 6 2017 at 20:36:27 by www.psychicscience.org  
    Free educational resources for parapsychology and psychical research.

Lot’s of clothes, morphs and props but not one single environment, leaves this fairly open ;-)

Thanks, Totte and Ken. Barbult, we look forward to seeing Muck when you return.
    dreamfarmer #1 - Wow, beautiful and unique I love the mood and POV and low sun really suits it. I just saw it was 3DL and Lantios skydome. Makes me want to try those out.
    obanion#03 LOL, so Ken! Hayden's mother seems very amused.

Pull: 5 Props and Environments. No people (one hair.) LOL. 
    Augusta Hair for Genesis, Genesis 2 Female(s)
    Teacher Meeting Room
    Fairytale Collection -- Fairytale Story 
    Moongate
    Nook: Now n' Then (LB)
    Nightingale (LB)
    Classic Furniture Assortment (LB) 
    Romany Charms (LB)

Hey there. I finished this a few days ago but never got around to posting it.

Ron's Steam
    Modular Command Chair
    Jazz Hair
    Redhouse Christmas Carol

dreamfarmer#02
    "Those Old Fashioned Toystores Are Back In Fashion"
    circa 2067

RRRR They're Back 2@0,75x.jpg
    2813 x 2250 - 7M
    edited October 2017

Tag:; Totte #3 

Totte said:

#5522 Steam Aircraft Dragon (#14364)
    #1300 DA Lucian 7 Shadow Pose Set (#34731)
    #2895 Ideal Beauty: Legs for Genesis (Rendo)
    #5159 SF Wasteland Vagabond G2 (Rendo)
    LB #1:#2051 Fantastical Features for Genesis 3 Female(s) (#22201)
    LB #2:#5520 Scifi Sniper Suit for Genesis 2 Female(s) (#18136)
    LB #3:#6055 The Treasure Beast (#16194)
    LB #4:#2797 Hooded Cloak for Genesis 2 Female(s) (#18287)

Also Used:
    IG Iray Lilith 6 
    Thomas for Genesis (with beauty legs) + Liquid Halo on Sky 16
    Eva 7 + BWC 80s Punk + Buzzed Hair + SciFi Weapons & Poses
    Lucian 7 + Construction Worker 
    Rundown Caste Corridor

Shaders Used:
    SubSurface Workshop
    PBS Shaders vol 2
    Iray Glass
    Leather Factory
    Iray Converter for Genesis
    Daily Cloth Shader

The return of Luci's Timebandits

It was supposed to be a cake walk, a treasure guarded by two small dragons, but now they are in a bit of a pickle.

rrrr3.jpg
    1600 x 1047 - 425K
    Post edited by Totte on
  • 3dcheapskate3dcheapskate Posts: 2,719
    edited October 2017

RRRR virgin here - is it DS only or can poser's play too ? Assuming the latter:

Pull #1: (clay pigeon shooting ?)

#40698 - Poser\G2 Genghis Khan\Palderons BH ON.p2z 
    #18364 - DAZ Gen3\SP3\SP3 MAT\SP3 International Beauty MAT PP\MakeUp Type 2 Pink.p2z
    #53751 - MikesTikiBar\Tiki Sign.ppz
    #44491 - Schlabber P4\Schlabber-combSleeping\bed - 10 - Male.p2z

(numbered items are individual Poser files)

Post edited by 3dcheapskate on

RRRR virgin here - is it DS only or can poser's play too ? Assuming the latter:

Welcome to the RRRR - the most addictive render contest in the explored universe! 

And you can use whatever program you like, as long as the items you pulled are in the scene. You can postwork, render layers and slap together (I once did a background in Vue and the foreground in DS just because I wanted to), so nothing to limit your creativity, except the render must be TOS compliant ;-)

Hey, folks, I need a little help here.

I'm trying to track down a scene prop.  I know it's in my library -- somewhere! -- because I've used it before.  I just can't for the life of me remember what it's called, and consequently, don't know where it is or what to look for!  (I knew this day was going to come eventually...!)

I last remember using it way back in the 'A Day in the Life' RRRR; I even have the image.  Unfortunately, I haven't been able to locate the scene file for it; it's not on my local disks, nor the external USB drive I keep with me.  (It may be on another, that I don't generally carry around.)  So....  Does anybody recognize this balcony set?

RRRR_DayInTheLife_03.png
    800 x 600 - 788K

Hey, folks, I need a little help here.

I'm trying to track down a scene prop.  I know it's in my library -- somewhere! -- because I've used it before.  I just can't for the life of me remember what it's called, and consequently, don't know where it is or what to look for!  (I knew this day was going to come eventually...!)

I last remember using it way back in the 'A Day in the Life' RRRR; I even have the image.  Unfortunately, I haven't been able to locate the scene file for it; it's not on my local disks, nor the external USB drive I keep with me.  (It may be on another, that I don't generally carry around.)  So....  Does anybody recognize this balcony set?

Never mind, I found it!  I went back to the original contest thread, and there it was, listed among the 'Also used' for my third entry: 'Royal Stairs'.

Now, on to some serious kit-bashing...!

edited October 2017

Tag: luci45 #5
    The Witch Balea Turns her Fifth Husband into a Nightingale
    After five years of marriage Braxton thought he was safe. Apparently he should have offered Balea a martini and cigar before he sat down.

Balea and Braxton 
    Witch Balea Turns her Fourth Husband into a Hippo  

Used:
    Teacher Meeting Room
    Moongate
    Nightingale (LB)
    Romany Charms (LB)

Also used:
    Genesis Creature Creator Bundle
    Summer Night Ensemble
    Dreamy Night
    Gabriella skin texure
    Various Morphs
    Wine Me
    Recreation Room newspapers
    Whiskey and Smoke Tutorial Plus Props
    Ron's Detail Smoke
    Ron's Angel Dust

baleas fifth husband.jpg
    1800 x 1440 - 859K
    Post edited by luci45 on
    luci45 said:

Tag: luci45 #5
    The Witch Balea Turns her Fifth Husband into a Nightingale
    After five years of marriage Braxton thought he was safe. Apparently he should have offered Balea a martini and cigar before he sat down.

Balea and Braxton 
    Witch Balea Turns her Fourth Husband into a Hippo  

Used:
    Teacher Meeting Room
    Moongate
    Nightingale (LB)
    Romany Charms (LB)

Also used:
    Genesis Creature Creator Bundle
    Summer Night Ensemble
    Dreamy Night
    Gabriella skin texure
    Various Morphs
    Wine Me
    Recreation Room newspapers
    Whiskey and Smoke Tutorial Plus Props
    Ron's Detail Smoke
    Ron's Angel Dust

Well, on the bright side..., she's saving a fortune on divorce attorneys...!

Another great one, Luci!

Totte said:

Totte said:

It was supposed to be a cake walk, a treasure guarded by two small dragons, but now they are in a bit of a pickle.

laughcheekywinksmileylaughyes

luci45 said:
    Totte said:

Totte said:

laughcheekywinksmileylaughyes

Lol - Luci found the emocicons ;-)