October 2017 - DAZ 3D New User Challenge: Atmosphere

Comments

• ChameoChameo Posts: 306
    sueya said:

Here is my latest version

I tried to follow some advice. I added a light behind her head and changed the pose. I cannot move the platform which the bench is on. It is part of the scene.

I like the pose change a lot. The slumped shoulders and the little bit of toe-in give her a dejected look that make me want to give her a hug. And like Jen said, the light makes a huge difference. It illuminates the background as well as making your girl stand out against it. Her forward arm still look a little stiff and awkward, but overall, it's looking good.

• Version c of this is now up. Like I said in my last post, I'd made a photoshop document to make the transparancy for the text in the mirror, and if I find that I need to make changes I still have the psd file.

oct2017-2c.png
    1092 x 872 - 1M
  • DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,844

Im unsure if anyone has linked this all ready or not but for those of you experimenting with iRay in DS, you may find this tutorial useful:

smiley

• Chameo said:

Much better! The lighting looks good, too - not quite moonlight, but close. The one thing I'd say is that she seems perched on the very edge of the step rather than sitting on it and leaning back. Also - and this is mostly because of my poor eyesight - the crack in the stone right by her arm is distracting. Maybe sliding her back or to the side a little - without changing her pose - might help?

For some reason, I can't move or repose her, when I do, she gets all deformed. her eyes bug out, and her clothes stretch. It's weird. I tried moving the set a bit, so I think that's it for her pose unfortunately.. :-(

I can go back and photoshop the crack and see if that's less distracting. Thanks for the feedback!

• DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,844

Hmm that is odd. Could maybe be a video card thing? Try maybe switching the display to lit wireframe in DS and then click on her (top level) and try to move her. and then flip back to iray and see if that works. I know I do a lot of my moving of things in DS in wireframe etc since sometimes the viewport can hiccup depending what it is and the computer etc.

• ricswikaricswika Posts: 132
    sueya said:

I tried to follow some advice. I added a light behind her head and changed the pose. I cannot move the platform which the bench is on. It is part of the scene.

It is starting to look really cool. There is probably still room for some improvement on the pose.It looks like the actor might be hovering a little and not actually in the correct postion on the bench. This happens to me all the time. I usually zoom in super close with the perspective camera view. Select her in the scene tree and click zoom icon on the viewport. If you select her hip and then zoom, it will put you right there close and you can see where her legs are are exactly.

TIP: There is a Tool Options window that let's you adjust orientation so you can move relative to the screne for exampe. There is a bunch of other helpful options there. I usually keep that window up when tweaking objects around to make it easier. Make sure you click on the little square zoom icon so it sets the object you are working on as the pivot for the view camera. That way you can easily spin around and make sure she is positioned just right from all angles. If you pick the Universal Tool, you can just click on to a limb and give it a yank. Don't worry, Ctrl-Z to undo. I would recommend saving multiple versions of your project. Just add a numbrer each time so you can roll back if you screw something up too much :)

Keep up the good work, it gets easier.

Chameo said:

Much better! The lighting looks good, too - not quite moonlight, but close. The one thing I'd say is that she seems perched on the very edge of the step rather than sitting on it and leaning back. Also - and this is mostly because of my poor eyesight - the crack in the stone right by her arm is distracting. Maybe sliding her back or to the side a little - without changing her pose - might help?

For some reason, I can't move or repose her, when I do, she gets all deformed. her eyes bug out, and her clothes stretch. It's weird. I tried moving the set a bit, so I think that's it for her pose unfortunately.. :-(

I can go back and photoshop the crack and see if that's less distracting. Thanks for the feedback!

That's really strange behavior. I know it sounds stupid, but have you tried closing and restarting DAZ Studio? Also, which figure are you using? Do you have any parts of the figure pinned? I'm just spitballing ideas here that you could check if you care enough to investigate. Can you share a screenshot of what it looks like when that happens? The only time I've seen anything similar for myself was when I goofed up trying to transfer a skin from Gen3 to Gen8. It  was... disconcerting!

ricswika said:
    sueya said:

It is starting to look really cool. There is probably still room for some improvement on the pose.It looks like the actor might be hovering a little and not actually in the correct postion on the bench. This happens to me all the time. I usually zoom in super close with the perspective camera view. Select her in the scene tree and click zoom icon on the viewport. If you select her hip and then zoom, it will put you right there close and you can see where her legs are are exactly.

TIP: There is a Tool Options window that let's you adjust orientation so you can move relative to the screne for exampe. There is a bunch of other helpful options there. I usually keep that window up when tweaking objects around to make it easier. Make sure you click on the little square zoom icon so it sets the object you are working on as the pivot for the view camera. That way you can easily spin around and make sure she is positioned just right from all angles. If you pick the Universal Tool, you can just click on to a limb and give it a yank. Don't worry, Ctrl-Z to undo. I would recommend saving multiple versions of your project. Just add a numbrer each time so you can roll back if you screw something up too much :)

Keep up the good work, it gets easier.

I just want to echo what ricswika said here. Everything he said is spot on - especially that last sentence. The past few weeks, I've been really focusing on posing, building my own from scratch, and what I've found is the more you do it, the more you understand how the different bones affect the others in the chain. On the front arm, for example, if you start at the collar and try nudging the Front-Back and Twist dials, you can watch how it affects the hand position - and just work your way down.

Another trick I use sometimes is to click on the body part I want in a particular position and use the arrows and handles to slooooowly move it to where I want it. Sometimes, it adjusts the pose perfectly in a way I hadn't anticipated, but more often it just shows me what needs to change to get the look I want. As always - CTRL-Z is your best friend!

• daybirddaybird Posts: 651

Version c of this is now up. Like I said in my last post, I'd made a photoshop document to make the transparancy for the text in the mirror, and if I find that I need to make changes I still have the psd file.

Mhh, there is to much from the motorbike in the mirror. I don't know this prop, but if is possible you should change the angle so that's the raptor is the main part in the mirror.  I also would try to make the wall and street blury, to create a feeling of movement. 

Chameo said:
    sueya said:

I like the pose change a lot. The slumped shoulders and the little bit of toe-in give her a dejected look that make me want to give her a hug. And like Jen said, the light makes a huge difference. It illuminates the background as well as making your girl stand out against it. Her forward arm still look a little stiff and awkward, but overall, it's looking good.

I found the previous pose nearly better, but in this picture, the pose of her feet looks good. How jennifer said, do the arm pose still look unnatural, maybe you could let lay her both hands on the legs. I Also would try to bend her back a little to the front.

HighElf said:

A lighting Test.

Not so dark as the previous one. The DoF is smth I will change in future renders, to show the "Dragonchaser". But for now, I think that shows what I have in mind.

The light is now much better and you said that you will also change the DoF to bring the caster in focus whats a good idea. 

I also think to see, that the dragon was hit (from a spell?) on his neck. That make the pose of him much clearer to me. You should give the spell cloud a illuminating color to make her more visible.

I think you should also try to soften the edges of the smoke, . Until now it looks to unnatural....but that can wait to the end. 

I'm looking forward to your next posting. :)

• daybird said:

Version c of this is now up. Like I said in my last post, I'd made a photoshop document to make the transparancy for the text in the mirror, and if I find that I need to make changes I still have the psd file.

Mhh, there is to much from the motorbike in the mirror. I don't know this prop, but if is possible you should change the angle so that's the raptor is the main part in the mirror.  I also would try to make the wall and street blury, to create a feeling of movement. 

The thing about the camera angle is that it's from the rider's POV, so maybe I'll move the raptor closer to get more of it in the reflection. In the case of bluring the wall and street, I've got a script that might help with that seeing as how I'm using Iray.

• Chameo said:

That's really strange behavior. I know it sounds stupid, but have you tried closing and restarting DAZ Studio? Also, which figure are you using? Do you have any parts of the figure pinned? I'm just spitballing ideas here that you could check if you care enough to investigate. Can you share a screenshot of what it looks like when that happens? The only time I've seen anything similar for myself was when I goofed up trying to transfer a skin from Gen3 to Gen8. It  was... disconcerting!

This is Josie 8 with some morphs to her face. Wearing the jade dream ensemble, I think that's G3?

Here's a snip. was able to move her with Lit wireframe but then she goes back to the second pic. Maybe the file is corrupted somehow? So I guess I will touch up a bit in PS and try to fix what I can..

josie_buggy.JPG
    1898 x 1273 - 248K
    josie_buggy1.JPG
    1626 x 1263 - 264K
    Chameo said:

This is Josie 8 with some morphs to her face. Wearing the jade dream ensemble, I think that's G3?

Here's a snip. was able to move her with Lit wireframe but then she goes back to the second pic. Maybe the file is corrupted somehow? So I guess I will touch up a bit in PS and try to fix what I can..

Yeah, that's weird. It looks like some of the spectacular fails using the new D-force tool. Honestly, what you've got doesn't really need much of anything to "fix" - she really looks great. The couple of things I mentioned were on the really nitpicky side. I'd love to have her hanging on my wall.

• so I tried to fix the problems via PS since I'm having issues in daz with my scene. I got rid of the seam in the stone, and also made a second pic to make her pose maybe not so awkward/ Although I kind of like it that way..but I'll post both.

Josie_danerysnew2b.jpg
    2400 x 3000 - 1M
    Josie_danerysnew2a.jpg
    2400 x 3000 - 1M
  • Chameo said:

Yeah, that's weird. It looks like some of the spectacular fails using the new D-force tool. Honestly, what you've got doesn't really need much of anything to "fix" - she really looks great. The couple of things I mentioned were on the really nitpicky side. I'd love to have her hanging on my wall.

AWW thank you so much!! I learned a lot doing this contest, so glad Daz does this and that people take the time to comment!

Chameo said:

Strange indeed. Can this happen because you have  locked/parent some parts of her to an object (ground etc.)?

• daybird said:
    Chameo said:

Strange indeed. Can this happen because you have  locked/parent some parts of her to an object (ground etc.)?

I don't think so, you can see the folder structure in one of those pics, unless I'm reading that wrong.

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252

Everytime I come in here and I want to make a comment someone has beaten me to it.

There are really great atmosphere images in here.

• TynkereTynkere Posts: 834
    edited October 2017

Well nothing ventured nothing gained.  I've had DS for 3 weeks, so no props for this scene like rocks or plants.  The idea is...  Well OK, if I have to explain.  ; )

Anyway, critiques welcome-- esp. how to get reflection on car windshield.  If anyone using  "1961 AM Roadster" -- is it missing textures or some settings for chrome & glass?  They're either not visible or show as white.

Am asssuming you can't "smoosh" the tire down & have to angle car itself.  To alter the mesh, I'd need 'Hexagon?'

"Flat Tire" virtual camera: 4:3 (35mm) with 28mm lens @ f-8 ; ss 125 ; ISO 100

Post edited by Tynkere on

Welcome Tynkere

Now I'm very impressed by your picture. As I begun with DAZ it took me nearly a half year to create a presentable picture. So that's a great start.

And the best thing for your pic is.... It's perfect without plants or anything else!!!!smileyyes

This empty area make the flat tire to a really dangerous accident.So leave it this way. The dirty dust looks great too, but you can also try, to render the pic with a clear sky and a hard light to simulate a hot day.

To simulate a flat tire, you could try to use a deformer on the wheel, but that may be a little difficult to a beginner.

For the problem with the Car ....I don't have this car and can't help you with it. Maybe it helps to reinstall the product.

• Tynkere, if you are rendering in Iray, you can apply an Iray glass shader to the windows and it will look nice. Default ones are in Shader Presets>Iray>DAZ Uber. There are also car paint shaders in there you can try out, and metals shaders for the chrome.

• sueyasueya Posts: 830

This is probably going to be my final version. I have altered the pose following some of your comments.

Girlonbenchv5.jpg
    800 x 800 - 140K
  • Chameo said:

So there's no issue until you move or repose the figure - as loaded it's fine? Have you made or loaded any custom morphs though Morph Loader/Morph Loader Pro?

•  

So there's no issue until you move or repose the figure - as loaded it's fine? Have you made or loaded any custom morphs though Morph Loader/Morph Loader Pro?

No issue until I repose or move. It's weird. Sometimes when I move the background set she is sitting on, it makes her go wonky too. I used Rarestones face morphs, but that's it..

• Do you have her parented to anything by any chance? I have had characters explode at random when parented but I can never replicate the situation from a clean scene.

daybird said:

Welcome Tynkere

Now I'm very impressed by your picture. As I begun with DAZ it took me nearly a half year to create a presentable picture. So that's a great start.

And the best thing for your pic is.... It's perfect without plants or anything else!!!!smileyyes

This empty area make the flat tire to a really dangerous accident.So leave it this way. The dirty dust looks great too, but you can also try, to render the pic with a clear sky and a hard light to simulate a hot day.

To simulate a flat tire, you could try to use a deformer on the wheel, but that may be a little difficult to a beginner.

For the problem with the Car ....I don't have this car and can't help you with it. Maybe it helps to reinstall the product.

I tend to agree with Daybird about the plants.  The image has a very desolate feel.

Here are a couple of YouTube tutorials on using the D-Former: 

It is a fiddly tool but can give you the flat tire look you want.

• I've got the script running to creat the blur in my second project. I've no clue as to when it will be finished as it's already been more then a day since I started.

sueya said:

This is probably going to be my final version. I have altered the pose following some of your comments.

You definitely have an ominous feel in this image.

• Do you have her parented to anything by any chance? I have had characters explode at random when parented but I can never replicate the situation from a clean scene.

Not that I know :-) I could have by accident but I don't think I did.. I'm stumped.